Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

Had no idea, that's cool though. Was Southpaw used for anything else?
Two other games: Duke Nukem Advance (which was a new game that recycled a lot of Duke3D sprites) and Ice Nine (which I haven't played).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Man that's way funnier than it should be

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Xenomrph posted:

distant planet called Olduvai
Yeah that's not completely on the nose or anything.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
There's something about the marketing for this, with its focus on violence, and all the glory kills and slamming a corpses face into an eye scanner that makes Doom 4 come across as trying too hard to be cool and edgy but actually being kind of embarrassing, like its the Guy Fieri of first person shooters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well how do you market a franchise that nobody under the age of 28 cares about to teenagers

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Awesome Welles posted:

Had no idea, that's cool though. Was Southpaw used for anything else?

It was used for a bad Duke Nukem game and a bad original game called Ice Nine.

There are a surprising number of bad FPS games for Game Boy Advance. I think I own all of them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Overbite posted:

There's something about the marketing for this, with its focus on violence, and all the glory kills and slamming a corpses face into an eye scanner that makes Doom 4 come across as trying too hard to be cool and edgy but actually being kind of embarrassing, like its the Guy Fieri of first person shooters.

Yeah, I agree. Thing is video game publisher marketing teams are hilariously out of touch, and Bethesda's team is no exception.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I agree. Thing is video game publisher marketing teams are hilariously out of touch, and Bethesda's team is no exception.

I don't think it's entirely on marketing, unless marketing made them put all that stuff in the game and made the kill streak call outs really lame (genocide?)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Overbite posted:

I don't think it's entirely on marketing, unless marketing made them put all that stuff in the game and made the kill streak call outs really lame (genocide?)

The executions are on the dev team yeah, there's one guy in particular who seems to think they're the loving bee's knees.

But the way the trailers are edited together I think is the marketing team.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why does the marketing refer to this game as a different game? That never made much sense

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The executions kinda rub me the wrong way, they don't really feel like Doom. Like, the first 3 games were about being a desperate soldier tackling insane odds and fighting your way into and out of Hell, but it was still a harrowing, dangerous experience. Seeing the player character willingly "rip and tear" demons with his bare hands as if he's doing Mortal Kombat fatalities on everyone in sight makes him seem like a sociopath.

I had a similar problem with the Mad Max game and the ease with which he could become a brutally efficient Batman-esque combat monster. It kind of severely undermines the whole "underdog fighting impossible odds" vibe and instead makes the character seem like a bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The executions are there because id likes Brutal Doom and because they want to pander to that crowd since it's a very popular mod that brought a new audience to Doom, and attracting that audience to Doom 2016 means more money. And of course there's the people who don't know about Brutal Doom and will just buy it because of the over the top violence.
Unless, of course, you're deluded and believe Brutal Doom didn't impact the reboot's development in any way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GUI posted:

The executions are there because id likes Brutal Doom and because they want to pander to that crowd since it's a very popular mod that brought a new audience to Doom, and attracting that audience to Doom 2016 means more money. And of course there's the people who don't know about Brutal Doom and will just buy it because of the over the top violence.
Unless, of course, you're deluded and believe Brutal Doom didn't impact the reboot's development in any way.

Holy poo poo Brutal Doom really did break peoples' brains

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The devs did explicitly state that modern doom WADs inspired Doom 4. They didn't say brutal doom by name but due to its notoriety its a pretty safe bet it was involved.

Ironically if anything we should probably thank brutal doom for convincing Id to walk it back and be more like classic doom. The earlier footage of in-development doom 4 looked like so much call of duty.

They probably could have just hired SGT Mark if they'd really wanted to though. Its not strictly brutal doom, but that was probably part of proving the demand to executives.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Holy poo poo Brutal Doom really did break peoples' brains

I've only hosed around with BD a couple of times, but I'm not going to lie to myself and say that a mod that was repeatedly featured on gaming websites and that a lot of people consider "Doomier than Doom" didn't impact the reboot's development in some way and influenced part of it because it'd bring in more money in the end.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hexen was fun

GREETINGS MORTAL.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
i liked brutal doom

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zaphod42 posted:

The earlier footage of in-development doom 4 looked like so much call of duty.

There's a reason they scrapped that entire project and started over.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

project brutality is better

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Vanilla Doom is God's own creation and modding or playing it in any other fashion is a terrible sin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I just got done re-reading the 7th Doom novel.

"7th?" I hear you say, "but Xeno, there's only 6."

I'm talking about the one that no one thinks about, the one that's a spin-off of a spin-off.

That's right, the Doom movie novelization.

The book is interesting because parts of it are clearly based on the earlier version of the movie's script when it was set on a distant planet called Olduvai rather than Mars (until the lack of Mars leaked to the public and there was pretty huge fan backlash, so the filmmakers changed it on the fly), and while the vast majority of the plot plays out exactly the way we see it in the final movie, there's whole scenes in the book that are added in. I haven't read the script for the movie (I don't even know if it's available online, I haven't looked), so I don't know if the author was writing scenes that were in the script but cut out, or if he was creating material from whole cloth.

I'm skimming over [url=http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Doom.pdf[/url]an early draft[/url] and yeah, it looks like the author fabricated a bunch of new scenes. I can say that the new scenes would have made the movie more coherent and better overall, but it'd have likely ballooned the budget quite a bit.

only the first four are canon

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

Who would find this edgy in 2016, especially in a game with cartoony demons? From my perspective you're misreading this, and the jedi are evil also. I think fun is the tone they're looking for, at least to fans of stuff like cheesy horror movies and heavy metal style etc.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

Vanilla Doom is God's own creation and modding or playing it in any other fashion is a terrible sin.
This is the gospel truth. I was baffled by how hard it was to find a source port that was just "vanilla Doom".

Brutal Doom v20's sprites, explosions, gameplay flow, and animation style make it feel like it's a Duke Nukem total conversion. Like it seriously feels like it's running on the Build engine, it's weird.

Groovelord Neato posted:

only the first four are canon

Actually none of them are, since they don't have demons from hell. :colbert:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Heavy Metal posted:

Who would find this edgy in 2016, especially in a game with cartoony demons? From my perspective you're misreading this, and the jedi are evil also. I think fun is the tone they're looking for, at least to fans of stuff like cheesy horror movies and heavy metal style etc.

i dunno, I'm not into ultra violence and gore like I was when I was a wee boy. I thought the new MK took it too far and I don't really like the glory kills.

I play Doom with smooth doom and that adds more blood and splats and stuff but that's old pixel violence. Folding an imp in half every few seconds isn't appealing to me and it feels like it was designed to appeal to kids who aren't old enough to buy the game on their own, or streamers who will see a demon ripped in half and instantly pull a stupid face like they were in a react video thumbnail.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's weird how people forget that a lot of the hype about original Doom in 93/94 was that it was so edgy and gory and bloody. The whole gibbing mechanic and the like was there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

This is the gospel truth. I was baffled by how hard it was to find a source port that was just "vanilla Doom".

That's because if its a source port its not vanilla doom by definition :v:

That said how hard is it to turn some features off in GZDoom or download ChocolateDoom or WinDoom? (Answer: its really easy)

And if you really want vanilla doom, its not hard to find the game files, although they won't play nice with modern Windows.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Overbite posted:

i dunno, I'm not into ultra violence and gore like I was when I was a wee boy. I thought the new MK took it too far and I don't really like the glory kills.

I play Doom with smooth doom and that adds more blood and splats and stuff but that's old pixel violence. Folding an imp in half every few seconds isn't appealing to me and it feels like it was designed to appeal to kids who aren't old enough to buy the game on their own, or streamers who will see a demon ripped in half and instantly pull a stupid face like they were in a react video thumbnail.

The way I look at it, even something like The Division is trying harder to be "cool and edgy" than DOOM. Doom isn't taking itself as seriously. I'm not sure what it is in particular about larger than life fantasy violence you find incredibly immature, but I think it's in better taste than shooting looters in the head or whatever. (Just to play demon's advocate, I'm of course not offended by The Division, it's a decent game)

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Doom broke it up a bit, though. In the shareware version, suddenly you get to Phobos Anomaly and the music's all slow and quiet and the geometry's all weird and stylized and then you die.

I remember playing that Knee Deep in ZDoom mod that came out years back that spectacularly missed the point of Phobos Anomaly, and have been suspicious of any "It makes Doom play like how you remember it being is as a kid!!!!" mods since then.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zaphod42 posted:

That's because if its a source port its not vanilla doom by definition :v:

That said how hard is it to turn some features off in GZDoom or download ChocolateDoom or WinDoom? (Answer: its really easy)

And if you really want vanilla doom, its not hard to find the game files, although they won't play nice with modern Windows.

I only just mentioned this before but GZDoom at low resolution with the right light settings is pretty drat close.

Brutal Doom:

Normal E1M1:

Chex Quest:

Heretic:

e: oh yeah turn off freelook and the cursor too I guess

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 15, 2016

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Thanks for reminding me of the borefest that Heretic was.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The only good doom engine game was Strife. Can we remake that instead of brutal doom?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

i liked brutal doom

So did I. I didn't agree with all of its design decisions, but I had a lot of fun with it.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

nightwisher posted:

The only good doom engine game was Strife. Can we remake that instead of brutal doom?

Is that the RPG like one?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I played some doom 2 back in the 90s, played through Doom 3 a couple times and still like it enough that I might play through again, but I'm undecided on if I want this game or not.

They hype the executions a lot in the marketing, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you see the same execution animation played two or three times within a 3 minute gameplay video segment.

Also they said they want to make this the most fluid game possible, but they are capping at 60 frames per second when 120+ Hz and/or variable refresh gaming LCDs are gradually starting to become more common. AMD really needs to push freesync on to the consoles and TV sets in order to free all gamers from the tyranny of 30 or 60 Hz.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Xenomrph posted:

What you are looking for is Chocolate Doom. Designed to stay as true to vanilla as possible while removing certain limits and generally being compatible with new systems.

Prenton posted:

I remember playing that Knee Deep in ZDoom mod that came out years back that spectacularly missed the point of Phobos Anomaly, and have been suspicious of any "It makes Doom play like how you remember it being is as a kid!!!!" mods since then.

The people who organised KDIZD were idiots and the whole thing was a huge mess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can understand wanting to play doom as close to the original as possible but not having mouselook really sucks, so i'm never going to give that up. testing with a mouse was done during the development of doom.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus when you're playing these recent hard as hell user wads, I could use any advantage I can get. Though I respect the pro keyboard only players out there.

I wonder if anybody will try to play new Doom keyboard only style. I'll bet it's doable, well maybe it would require tweaking or xpadder style binding wackiness if it has no look keys.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 16, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xenomrph posted:

The executions kinda rub me the wrong way, they don't really feel like Doom. Like, the first 3 games were about being a desperate soldier tackling insane odds and fighting your way into and out of Hell, but it was still a harrowing, dangerous experience. Seeing the player character willingly "rip and tear" demons with his bare hands as if he's doing Mortal Kombat fatalities on everyone in sight makes him seem like a sociopath.

Have you forgotten about berserk packs? I'm pretty sure that it was only technological limitations preventing that from being more visceral than it already was. To me it always clearly implied tearing people apart (rather than people just exploding when you punch them for some reason). For that matter, the exploding deaths themselves are all obviously meant to be extremely gory and represent extreme overkill. There's also the teeth-bared, enraged face the protagonist makes when you hold down the attack button and the grin when you pick up a new weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nightwisher posted:

Strife was already remade a long time ago. Its called Deus Ex.