Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hot drat dude that looks amazing !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Made some juicy lucy burgers last night. Pretty great tasting if not entirely photogenic.

Next time I think I might shred the cheese though; there were some small holes where a corner of the cheese poked out and let a lot of the juice and cheese try to run out during the sear.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

ShadowCatboy posted:

Huh neat. I actually did something similar for a Chinese dinner party with Scallion Oil Chicken, 150*F but for 12 hours. It was served cold, super tender and moist and gelatinous:

Well done.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you guys are interested I posted the rest of the dinner in a big post here.

Also I no longer have to do the hobo method of using a ziplock bag and a straw since I finally got a vacuum sealer. Is the Foodsaver plastic better quality though? I find that even with double-bagging some water does get into the first bag and some flavors kinda leak out into the surrounding water bath. I've been resolving this issue by sealing the first bag in a layer of foil.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I made chefsteps' Lemon curd today. The taste is there, but their suggestion to add a bunch of gelatin has resulted in a curd-brick. It melts fine when you warm it so I might bake up some pastry shells and fill them for mini lemon-tarts.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also I no longer have to do the hobo method of using a ziplock bag and a straw since I finally got a vacuum sealer. Is the Foodsaver plastic better quality though? I find that even with double-bagging some water does get into the first bag and some flavors kinda leak out into the surrounding water bath. I've been resolving this issue by sealing the first bag in a layer of foil.

Are you getting a proper seal? Perhaps you're getting some moisture on the sealing surfaces, and that could easily prevent it from forming a solid fuse along the melt-line.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLittle posted:

Are you getting a proper seal? Perhaps you're getting some moisture on the sealing surfaces, and that could easily prevent it from forming a solid fuse along the melt-line.

I'm pretty sure the ziplocks were properly sealed. The issue was only prevalent when I did really long (like >24 hour) cook times.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you tried immersing the ziploc bag in water to squeeze out the air?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cultural Imperial posted:

Have you tried immersing the ziploc bag in water to squeeze out the air?

Yep. I'm pretty sure plastic is actually slightly permeable to water, especially at high temps and long cook times. I used the foodsaver vacuum sealer with desiccant packs before (the kind that change color to indicate exposure to humidity) and the indicator turned pink over time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yep. I'm pretty sure plastic is actually slightly permeable to water, especially at high temps and long cook times. I used the foodsaver vacuum sealer with desiccant packs before (the kind that change color to indicate exposure to humidity) and the indicator turned pink over time.
Baggies sold as `storage' bags are selectively permeable, although minimally for most of the poo poo you care about while cooking (they won't pass starches or proteins, for example). If you want to use baggies and are worried about it, just use freezer bags instead---one of their specific design requirements is low vapour permeability (so as to prevent freezer burn).

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Proper vacuum bags shouldn't be letting any water in or out of the bag. I have a cheapo rival sealer from woot and FoodSaver bags and I've never experienced this problem.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm pretty sure the ziplocks were properly sealed. The issue was only prevalent when I did really long (like >24 hour) cook times.

oh wait, I thought you were using vacuum bags. Don't use ziploc bags for long duration cooks.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLittle posted:

oh wait, I thought you were using vacuum bags. Don't use ziploc bags for long duration cooks.

A layer of tinfoil between two ziplock bags seemed to solve the issue completely:

1. Put food in ziplock bag.
2. Immerse it in puddle machine & remove as much air as possible.
3. Give food sufficient time to come up to a safe temp (>= 120*F)
4. Remove bag from water, wrap in a layer of foil, stick this in another bag, and repeat step 2.
5. Perform long cook.

Alternatively just buy a vacuum sealer and double-bag it like I'll be doing from now on.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

You shouldn't need to double bag with a sealer at all.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

nuru posted:

But plastic is slightly permeable to water!

:yum:

e: vvvvvvv

quote:

Foodsaver bags are either 3-ply or 5-ply, any permeability is probably going to be negligible.

:thejoke:

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 15, 2016

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nuru posted:

Huh. I was under the impression that even with the Foodsaver double-bagging was recommended for long cook times (as in 72 hour braised short ribs).

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just did 72 hours ribs a week ago with a cheap seal-a-meal.

Everything was fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jan posted:

But plastic is slightly permeable to water!

:yum:

Foodsaver bags are either 3-ply or 5-ply, any permeability is probably going to be negligible.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Huh. I was under the impression that even with the Foodsaver double-bagging was recommended for long cook times (as in 72 hour braised short ribs).

I've done 72 hour ribs several times and 100 hour oxtail a couple times. I have not noticed any need for double bagging (other than if the bone has sharp edges)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ShadowCatboy posted:

Just one bag is all that is needed, but two seals on each end is good insurance

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

Just one bag is all that is needed, but two seals on each end is good insurance

This is what I do for really long cooks. I've only had a bag break once on a 72 hour corned beef cook. It was a sad day in sous vide land.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The bags are more permeable the higher the temps are. I can smell carrots at 85C after just a few minutes, but it doesn't matter much for the final product.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ola posted:

The bags are more permeable the higher the temps are. I can smell carrots at 85C after just a few minutes, but it doesn't matter much for the final product.

This is exactly my experience, I can smell stuff at higher temperatures / after a very long time but I haven't seen water get into/out of the bag.

e: Just using these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1OM7TO

uPen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 15, 2016

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I just re-packaged a pre-brined point cut of corned beef for consumption Thursday afternoon/evening. I've read through the Food Lab guide, which suggests 180 Fahrenheit for 10 hours and then an overnight rest. Kenji discusses other times/temps as well, but doesn't really go below 160 F. Chefsteps and Modernist Cuisine on the other hand both suggest temps in the 135-145 F range and a 48 hour cook.

I'm inclined to go with Kenji's suggestion to get something close to a traditional texture, but would welcome any suggestions from folks who've done corned beef other ways.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just did the same thing but with a 48 hour 140F cook. I'll let you know how it goes at least.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I genuinely don't remember the time and temp combos I tried last year, but I suspect if you use kenji's suggestion a prebrined cut is going to be hellaciously soft after that hot and long.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

the yeti posted:

I genuinely don't remember the time and temp combos I tried last year, but I suspect if you use kenji's suggestion a prebrined cut is going to be hellaciously soft after that hot and long.

Would you mind elaborating? This woman (http://tastingspoons.com/archives/7896) seems to have had success with 180F/10hr

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Veritek83 posted:

I just re-packaged a pre-brined point cut of corned beef for consumption Thursday afternoon/evening. I've read through the Food Lab guide, which suggests 180 Fahrenheit for 10 hours and then an overnight rest. Kenji discusses other times/temps as well, but doesn't really go below 160 F. Chefsteps and Modernist Cuisine on the other hand both suggest temps in the 135-145 F range and a 48 hour cook.

I'm inclined to go with Kenji's suggestion to get something close to a traditional texture, but would welcome any suggestions from folks who've done corned beef other ways.

I just did one, 170 for 24 hours and it was amazing.

135-140 will give you an almost steakish feel, when you get over 150 or so you start to get more flaky, I like the flaky corned beef. So I go higher temp for shorter cooks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd like to do 72 hour short ribs and don't have a food sealer. I've always used freezer bags, but have never done a cook longer than 12 hours.

Is it safe to double bag them, or is it time to spend more money on my science cooking?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

the yeti posted:

I did a pre-brined store bought one over the weekend using 180 for 10 hours and it came out great. :shrug:

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Norns posted:

I'd like to do 72 hour short ribs and don't have a food sealer. I've always used freezer bags, but have never done a cook longer than 12 hours.

Is it safe to double bag them, or is it time to spend more money on my science cooking?

Most butchers have chamber sealers, just ask them to vac it for you when you buy it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

Have you tried looking for a used one on craigslist? or new on amazon? these things aren't very expensive if you get a no-frills version and they're great for storing food in the freezer. they really do pay for themselves but double or triple bagging should work if you really dont want to commit to it.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I bought the cheapo one linked in the OP for like 30 bucks. It's fine.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

esperantinc posted:

I did a pre-brined store bought one over the weekend using 180 for 10 hours and it came out great. :shrug:

In fairness I could be completely misremembering my approach, I'll try to find some notesor a fb post or something

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

tonedef131 posted:

Most butchers have chamber sealers, just ask them to vac it for you when you buy it.

I may finally have a reason to go buy overpriced meat from the hipster butcher shop down the street.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cultural Imperial posted:

I may finally have a reason to go buy overpriced meat from the hipster butcher shop down the street.

better have them season it before sealing it.

everyone should get a vacuum sealer, just do it.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

You can do long cooks without a vacuum sealer. I have. But it's just a hassle. I noted my process above. You'll have to double-bag it with a layer of aluminum foil in between, and you also gotta keep the whole thing weighed down with a big glass plate to keep it from floating since the process doesn't eliminate enough air.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What purpose does the aluminum foil serve? Seems like it wouldn't do anything.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It blocks the government radio waves and prevent the flouride in the water from seeping into the food, therefore keeping your brain free of mind control.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What purpose does the aluminum foil serve? Seems like it wouldn't do anything.

Foil is actually pretty impermeable to water. It's why our lab transitioned to foil-sealing our hygroscopic compounds.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

24 hours into my corned beef and it's s big puddle. No air though. It's more likely just the big salty solution it was soaked in and not bacterial, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TheReverend posted:

24 hours into my corned beef and it's s big puddle. No air though. It's more likely just the big salty solution it was soaked in and not bacterial, right?

So long as it was immersed the whole time and has been kept at 120*F or higher (I never go below 130) and doesn't smell weird it should be fine.