Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Trip report on the Chinese budget bench-top eBay centrifuge: It only makes 4oz at a time and it smells like Harbor Freight, but it works, and for $57 it's a sweet little ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4UoYCobv5/

First time bartending went really well, here is me making a rum martinez

Having pre-batched liquors really made things easy, for the most part I would take the pre-batch, add one or two ingredients and then shake/stir/serve

edit: people not really fans of banana liquor tho

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Are brandied cherries and maraschino cherries the same thing? And can someone give me a good recipe for them? The $2 Kroger brand isn't really cutting it for me.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

camoseven posted:

Are brandied cherries and maraschino cherries the same thing? And can someone give me a good recipe for them? The $2 Kroger brand isn't really cutting it for me.

Try getting your hands on Luxardo brand Maraschino cherries. Those are insanely good. There are also home recipes for them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

camoseven posted:

Grocery maraschinos are candy-ish and don't have any alcohol, I guess the old world version is made with liquor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maraschino_cherry

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 16, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yea I've seen those Luxardo's in stores and was put off by the price, but I'm kinda coming around on it. I think it ends up being like 25 cents a cherry, which is fine. I've also seen a lot of recipes online, and was hoping some knowledgeable goon had a favorite? Cherry season will be here soon enough, and it would be cool to make my own.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Try Amarena or macerate your own. Fabbri is the jam.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

For years now I've been wanting to make my own maraschinos. Usually I've been weirdly tight on money during the summer, and couldn't justify pouring a whole bottle of maraschino out on some cherries. The one summer I had lots of cash to mess around with the sour cherry crop failed. Maybe this year at last...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Everyone should buy a bottle of luxardo cherries at least once, if only to understand what the bar for maraschino cherries is.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Hello cocktail thread! What can I do with the bottle of Monkey 47 Sloe Gin I've gotten for my birthday? Drinking the stuff straight isn't all too appealing.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in bed with a bullshit hangover so I'm not looking up specs but find some good apricot brandy and make Charlie chaplains/millionaire #1s. I've seen it in some longer variations of champagne cocktails as well and I'm pretty sure you can use it to modify a nice punch also

E: I have not tried the sloe gin in question this is just some gbs for sloe

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My brother just turned up and gave me half a bottle of Pommeau de Normandie.
Any suggestions for good ways to use it?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I'm in bed with a bullshit hangover so I'm not looking up specs but find some good apricot brandy and make Charlie chaplains/millionaire #1s. I've seen it in some longer variations of champagne cocktails as well and I'm pretty sure you can use it to modify a nice punch also

I had some of this left and made a Millionaire #1 with Smith & Cross. Very strong and I may have used too much lime, but ultimately not bad. Thanks for the tip.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

camoseven posted:

I've used this recipe for as long as I can remember. Simple, scalable, and great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do you need to refrigerate them? I made some brandied cherries a month ago but left them on the shelf

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

My brother just turned up and gave me half a bottle of Pommeau de Normandie.
Any suggestions for good ways to use it?

Neat.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I threw an ounce of Campari and some rosemary-grapefruit bitters into a Stiegl-Radler and it's incredibly good and I wanna throw it on the specials menu but I have no idea what to call it. Camgesellschaft doesn't really roll off the tongue like Camparty

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Camplemousse

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Camplemousse

Sorry stealing this for my bar

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bad rear end Muddlers are in stock at Cocktail Kingdom after being out for months. Be aware that they are pretty massive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Steve Yun posted:

Camplemousse

Yeah gonna third this one, it rocks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Camplemousse

THANK you. If youre ever in NC ill pour you these until you puke

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Bad rear end Muddlers are in stock at Cocktail Kingdom after being out for months. Be aware that they are pretty massive.

:wink:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

That's a dildo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey a vibro-muddler that ran on four D batteries would actually be cool.

BTW I noticed that there are flat muddlers and there are spiky muddlers. Is there an advantage to one or the other or does it not really matter

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey a vibro-muddler that ran on four D batteries would actually be cool.

BTW I noticed that there are flat muddlers and there are spiky muddlers. Is there an advantage to one or the other or does it not really matter

Idk. I can tell you for muddling herbs I like using the bumpy disc on the back of my barspoon (I don't remember which brand but they're pretty cheap and whatever Morgenthaler reccomends in The Bar Book -- I can look it up later)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Flat muddlers are for pressing herbs - something which should be done by hand anyhow - and textured muddlers are for crushing fruit/peels/vegetables/etc

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

It can also be used to make cocktails.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

highlife camparties are gross as poo poo. what even in the literal hell makes this poo poo a good idea?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
poo poo gets stuck between the bumps.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Made some spiced orangecello at the bar, which has resulted in my summer punch:

1.5 oz Spiced Orangecello (I don't know the recipe, another bartender made it)
.5 oz St. Germaine
1oz Grapefruit juice
1oz lemonade
Peychauds bitters

Build in a copper/punch glass, top with ginger beer

When I make it at home I'll do a proper oleo-saccarhum based lemonade and some home made ginger beer. The result is gonna be lots of nasty hangovers this year. It needs a name, though.

E:
I also put up the newest spring cocktail on the menu:

Rump Shaker
1.5 oz Mount Gay Eclipse or Flora Cana 7yr
1 oz Dolin Dry or other nice dry vermouth
1.5 oz Grenadine (the real poo poo, I made this in house)
0.5 oz lime juice
Orange Bitters

Shake, server over rocks in a rocks glass.

Shake, serve over rocks.

Shake, serve over

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 22, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^^ oooh I'm gonna make one of those tonight;just gotta get off my rear end and make some grenadine. Do you use just pomegranate juice/sugar or do you throw in some Pom molasses too?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I didn't use pom molasses, and I used a 1:.5 ratio of pomegranate : sugar. Usually grenadine is a little stronger but I like it to be a bit lighter.

I've got some Meyer lemon peels soaking in demerara sugar tonight to make some lemon simple syrup, probably for use in sours now that its spring :toot:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 24, 2016

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

I didn't use pom molasses, and I used a 1:.5 ratio of pomegranate : sugar. Usually grenadine is a little stronger but I like it to be a bit lighter.

I've got some Meyer lemon peels soaking in demerara sugar tonight to make some lemon simple syrup, probably for use in sours now that its spring :toot:

Use lemon juice instead of water to dissolve the sugar for an intense lemon syrup

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I considered it but I'm not sure I want that to be honest. I'm shooting for more of a fragrant simple syrup rather than an intense shrub-esque syrup.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Pulled the bottles from our cluttered liquor shelving to make myself a Negroni, since it's apparently National Cocktail Day. Very tasty! edit: Used Cold River Gin, there's a nice pine note that comes through.

I discovered past me was dumb, and left the half size bottle of opened (white) vermouth on the shelf. Past me was also apparently at least clever enough to have a full size bottle of UNopened vermouth in the back.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Add a swish of rose water to your grenadine and always use a cold process.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've warmed my pomegranate juice on the stove to make the sugar mix faster, but never bothered to cook it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Add a swish of rose water to your grenadine and always use a cold process.

It's literally not grenadine without rosewater :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's literally not grenadine without rosewater :confused:

I know that but the above poster didn't have it listed in their ingredients so I mentioned it?

Halloween Jack posted:

I've warmed my pomegranate juice on the stove to make the sugar mix faster, but never bothered to cook it.

Don't heat your syrups!!!