Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Now that fusings don't consume quality when using them, does anyone know if that's changed the math in any significant way? I've got a 4-link, 6 socket Marohi that I'd like to add the fifth link to. I'm pretty sure sanity says that I should just buy a 5-link for an ex, sell my current one for ~30c and just call that the price of the upgrade. But there's that gambling part of my brain that says "you could 6-link it when going for the 5-link yourself!" but that part is stupid, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

theorycrafting and build help time!

No matter what you should be putting an Energy from Within below Melding, unless you're using a super GG damage jewel there. That's 15 + 8-12% ES from two nodes, you're not getting anything that good anywhere else. The same can be said for the Witch life nodes. It really depends on your jewel budget/rolling ability. If you can get super strong damage jewels those would be better, but very hard to get.

One thing to think about is you're sitting around 270% ES without any of the ES conversion jewels, this is a really solid amount. More damage might be better, especially on softcore, but that's up to you.

I'd start with this as a base. The main changes being the Alchemist cluster(30% flask effectiveness is huge) and dropping that ES/Mana regen Witch starter node and getting the jewel below Melding.

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...NX3wffX-Tf56A==

From there if you want more ES you can use Energy from Within on Melding, and/or grab those Witch HP nodes and convert them also. For damage you have Skittering Runes for 20% curse effectiveness, and the Light of Divinity cluster which can also lead into more AoE nodes and Retribution. If you path through Coordination there's a series of 10-10-10-12-14 Chaos nodes. There's also a jewel by Scion you can get for 3 points, with two % life regen nodes, though it's iffy unless you have something very strong to put in it.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 15, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm sure this has been tried and would be common knowledge if it was possible but it just occurred to me at work and i cant test it at the moment. has any one tried using currency on unopened perandus chests?

Yes, I've tried. Unfortunately: "Target is not a Strongbox:"

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ixjuvin posted:

theorycrafting and build help time! I'm currently playing ED/Contagion Occultist in softcore and am heavily considering buying a Shav's and transitioning into some sort of low-life thing. Not only have I never played low life or CI, I also don't really modify my plans beyond what forum threads tell me to build, because I am timid and unambitious. Here's what my skill tree looks like right now, at level 85. My defenses are kind of weirdly spread out because in the last 10 levels or so I started taking ES nodes instead of life, since I figured I would switch over.

After changing things up I think it could look something more like this. Getting rid of life nodes and the stuff in Templar (which is mostly life and some +area stuff which only affects Contagion damage) lets me grab Pain Attunement/ZO and the Foresight and Unnatural Calm ES wheels, and make inroads towards Void Barrier. I'm thinking I could maybe put an Energy from Within jewel down by the Melding cluster to squeeze more ES out if I need to.

ALTERNATELY, I could do something more like this, using an Energy from Within to turn the life from Cruel Preparation (and maybe in three levels Heart and Soul) into ES.

As far as Ascendancy is concerned, swapping out Malediction for Wicked Ward seems obvious, but I think Profane Bloom is too awesome to change for Vile Bastion. I am a softcore baby so how important could it possibly be??

I'm planning on running Discipline, Vitality and Arctic Armor on life out of a Prism Guardian, and my two Blasphemy curses on mana; as far as I can tell the only other useful aura is Grace and I don't think I can quite afford that without leveling an Enlighten or picking up mana reservation nodes somewhere (which seems excessive?). Switch my Chaos Golem out for Stone and I think that's all the changes I need to make, besides getting the gear of course. What do more experienced nerds think of my plans?

Here's my goal 90 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...5J0GDy9JxhW37A=

Because of how many things we're tagged, jewels give more dps per node than taking the Atrophy wheel up top. I'd drop that entire section. You also missed a bunch of life nodes you had taken.

I've been LL since 68 (78 now) running with Shavs, max block (with Rumi's) and Xirgil's Crank. Max block is a lot easier to do with Alchemist nodes from Rumi's, also all you run are Utility flasks (constantly with like 100% uptime) so the Alchemist nodes are really really good. Energy shield recharge rate with this combo translates to insane eHP. I'm shocked whenever my ES goes below 75% full, and usually it just stays full. This ties into why I take Vile Bastion. Stunlock really blows - esp with Perandus packs hitting as hard as they do. It was a bit better when I got my Lori's Lantern (and since my partner runs Grace and I take Evasion nodes) but still being stun proof is pretty awesome. You'll like it if you run hard stuff. I basically stand and tank in the middle of the mobs with Stibnite and Jade up so I can get off an ED in the middle and let it radiate as far as possible.

I do take Melding so that I can switch Energy from Within with a DPS jewel depending on what I'm doing.

I'd cut down on how many auras you run, aura nodes are very expensive and since we run Blasphemy, they aren't as effective for us. I still use Chaos Golem. The Stone is a piece of poo poo.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 15, 2016

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

funmanguy posted:

I'll try it.

Target Is Not A Strongbox.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cinara posted:

No matter what you should be putting an Energy from Within below Melding, unless you're using a super GG damage jewel there. That's 15 + 8-12% ES from two nodes, you're not getting anything that good anywhere else. The same can be said for the Witch life nodes. It really depends on your jewel budget/rolling ability. If you can get super strong damage jewels those would be better, but very hard to get.

I've been buying 40% +dmg jewels for 2-4c on SC. Agree with the rest though.

edit Your build link doesn't work.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 15, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

jjac posted:

Before I waste more time on my freeze pulse shadow does frost bomb let you apply curses through the debuff pulses?

I don't believe they're hits, so I'm fairly certain only the final explosion works with Curse on Hit.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I've been buying 40% +dmg jewels for 2-4c on SC. Agree with the rest though.

edit Your build link doesn't work.

Yea not sure what broke, Rurutia has a pretty similar tree that's likely overall better anyways!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

This all sounds really good, thanks for the help duders :) Now I have to actually go trade with human beings......

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
Trip report: Blade Vortex Necromancer is every bit as stupid and hilarious as I was hoping.
Found Zana at level 69 and her first daily was a sea witches beyond map. Managed to spawn two Haasts and one other boss at the same time, and just facetanked them all to death.
Tooltip DPS is not that great (~5k with buffs) and will not scale much better in the late game, but this is easily the strongest build I have ever played, and probably the most fun.

Link for anyone interested: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...ej7qv4K_lT-jw==

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

So i'm working on a new build, got back into POE with Ascendancy. Started a new Shadow, and have ascended into Trickster for the "Movement skills cost no mana". Looking for any critique/criticism/suggestions.

I'm doing a bit of a gimmick build, the Zero Mana Wonder, focusing on only movement abilities, triggered gems, and 4 Auras.

I managed to 6-link my Voll's Protector, and i'm currenty using a legacy 20% Ungil's Gauche as an off-hand weapon until I find a good shield. Difficult part is losing that 35% block rate for Dual Wield + Ungil's.

Skills goal:

Main Skill:
Cyclone - Cast On Crit - Bladefall - Blade Vortex - Life Leech - Increased area of Effect

Movement skill:
Whirling Blade - Faster Attack - Fortify

Counter-attacks
Riposte - Melee Physical Damage - (Vengeance or Reckoning)

Auras:
Discipline
Hatred
Blasphemy - Warlord's Mark

The Nuke
Voll Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Discharge - [Increased Area of Effect or Increased Duration]

I have one more gear slot available, maximum of 4 links. I have two different ideas:
The Oh poo poo
Cast on Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call
Vaal Haste

Enduring Cry isn't a spell, doesnt work with CoDT. thanks, baby puzzle.

The not-so-Oh poo poo
Cast on Damage Taken - [Enduring Cry or Immortal Call]
Vaal Haste - Increased Duration

There are no skills I can actively cast with a mana cost, other than my Auras. With my current setup, those 3 auras (Hatred / Discipline / Blasphemy) will reserve 99% of my mana. (I wasn't able to find a way to get them to reserve exactly 100%. 18% mana reservation reduction)
Whirling Blades and Cyclone are free to cast. Cyclone casts free Bladefalls and Blade Vortexes on crit.
Vaal skills require souls, but no mana. Vaal Cyclone - CoC - Discharge is a loving nuke. Increased AOE would make clearing packs easier. Increased Duration would kill bosses better. Thanks to Voll's Protection, I'll always have power charges available for detonation. If i could somehow get a Voll's Devotion, the free Endurance Charges would be icing on the cake. Right now I can generate Endurance and Frenzy charges on kill (12% for one of each through nodes past Conduit, plus Warlord's Mark's chance for Endurance), but that helps more on mob packs than most bosses.
Vaal haste is there for fun. Pop it before a Vaal Cyclone for maximum lulz.

I'm focusing on high Energy Shield and Evasion, going Vaal Pact - Ghost Reaver, possibly Chaos Inoculation.
I'd like to keep a good block, either through Dual Wielding or a good Energy Shield shield, to take advantage of the free attacks from my Counter skills. If i get a shield, i switch from Vengeance to Reckoning.

Ascendancy is Walk the Aether, Ghost Dance, ShadeForm

Here's where I am with passives right now (level 45, only completed Normal):
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...Bjw1fVv9tr7CQ==

Here's where I think i'm headed (100 points spent):
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...uH1S_Vv9tr5pPsJ

Any extra points should be able to grab me the nearby jewel slots and the Physical Damage bonuses near Chaos Innoculation. I probably could lose a few Energy Shield nodes and be o.k., depending on gear when I get to upper levels.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2016

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Enduring cry doesn't work with CWDT.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What clevel are people doing merc Izaro on. Like 80?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I did it at 73, but I wouldn't "put it on farm" at that level

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 15, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

My partner and I started farming it at low 70's.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

euphronius posted:

If you have a good feel for the Izaro 3 fight from normal and cruel, you can do it at 68 with most builds. Summoners will want to be higher level, and maybe certain casters. If you're on HC, bail out as soon as he acquires buffs that effect his own damage or otherwise make his end fight substantially harder (i.e. those perma-curse statues).
72-76 is probably the range you can do it without worry in HC; most important is that Izaro does what appears to be a maximum of 3k damage or just over on his strongest attack, with no buffs.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

Enduring cry doesn't work with CWDT.

I had not realized this.

Well, i guess that solves that problem.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Longbike posted:

Trip report: Blade Vortex Necromancer is every bit as stupid and hilarious as I was hoping.
Found Zana at level 69 and her first daily was a sea witches beyond map. Managed to spawn two Haasts and one other boss at the same time, and just facetanked them all to death.
Tooltip DPS is not that great (~5k with buffs) and will not scale much better in the late game, but this is easily the strongest build I have ever played, and probably the most fun.

Link for anyone interested: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...ej7qv4K_lT-jw==

I'm doing the same build, following Nugi's build (well, as much as I can since he doesn't do guides), and everything's pretty solid in Cruel, especially now that I'm used to hitting both blade vortexes and desecrate before jumping into battle with Bone Offering as I start up, repeating both BVs and BO as I roll along. Just took me a bit to get used to cycling three-four skills at once, as it wasn't something I was comfortable with.

I'm just trying to figure out what I want to chase after next, skill-wise.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/shinino

Machinae
Aug 15, 2004
posting to link my profile :shobon:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Count Uvula posted:

If you have a good feel for the Izaro 3 fight from normal and cruel, you can do it at 68 with most builds.

If you're a remarkably bad player, like I am, you can do Cruel at about that level, like I do!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like maybe im kind of far behind where i should be? i am like 55 and have a couple things left to do in a3 cruel. how would i get to merc lab in like 10 levels?

e: i guess exp gain might slow way down at some point?

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 16, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
XP gain doesn't proceed linearly across difficulties. It slows down but power level wise, your character keeps up due to the extra skill points via quests.

Zone level goes like this, your character level should follow fairly closely depending on SC/HC and familiarity.
Normal: 1~40
Cruel: 40~57
Merc: 57~70

After another expansion or two, I expect they'll remove cruel from the game and adjust the skill point rewards do something to smooth out the difficulty spike that would happen if you went from normal -> merc today.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Why do you think they would do something that would require as much senseless reworking as removing a whole difficulty level?

There has been a standard of three (or more) difficulties in arpgs for a long time, and I'd rather that effort be put towards more content.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Why do you think they would do something that would require as much senseless reworking as removing a whole difficulty level?

There has been a standard of three (or more) difficulties in arpgs for a long time, and I'd rather that effort be put towards more content.

Because it's something GGG has said they want to do. You may not know but back in beta there were 4 difficulties before they introduced act 3. When they added act4 they condensed a lot of the old zones, removing several. When they add an act 5 or act 6 at the latest I would be surprised if they don't remove cruel at the same time.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Haven't they said that their ultimate goal is a single 10 act progression?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Not all of us are entertained by ever so clever new game + approach to lengthening games. At least the acting isn't as inane/unskippable as it was it d3. (Yes there is indeed a queen of spiders stop acting so loving surprised)

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

Gibbo posted:

"We want to keep releasing content for ten years."
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/38y6a8/cb_design_bottlenecks_and_the_future_of_poe/crz7h7b

There's a scale problem. Either they rework the whole system with a massive addition to the tree and increasing max level or they figure out how to remove a difficulty. With each new added act, they're actually adding 3, one for each difficulty. In closed beta there were only 2 acts. After 6 acts, characters hit end game. Then in 1.0 they added Act 3; characters go through 9 acts. With act 4, characters are progressing through 12 acts. When act6 is released, characters will have to do at double the content that 1.0 characters had to do to reach end game.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

climboutonalimb posted:

"We want to keep releasing content for ten years."
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/38y6a8/cb_design_bottlenecks_and_the_future_of_poe/crz7h7b

There's a scale problem. Either they rework the whole system with a massive addition to the tree and increasing max level or they figure out how to remove a difficulty. With each new added act, they're actually adding 3, one for each difficulty. In closed beta there were only 2 acts. After 6 acts, characters hit end game. Then in 1.0 they added Act 3; characters go through 9 acts. With act 4, characters are progressing through 12 acts. When act6 is released, characters will have to do at double the content that 1.0 characters had to do to reach end game.

So, as someone said earlier, their final goal is 10 acts, single difficulty. So as far as I've been able to tell, Act 5 is in development now (2017?), and when that comes out, they'll likely remove Cruel, adding enough skill point gains in A5 to make up the difference.

Then Act 6 would be 12 total acts, and it wouldn't surprise me around Act 7 that they shift to one difficulty, since 14 acts would get kinda crazy -- or it'll be like it was before Act 4 (and is now) -- the highest end content on the highest difficulty is skipped by most to go to maps.

Before Dominus, people would go all the way to Merciless Piety and then go to maps. When they added the 2nd half of Act 3 (which really should have been another drat act, and Piety still having 2 skill points for a reward is loving ludicrous but anyway), then people would still only go to Piety for the most part, because Merciless Dominus wrecked people.

Then when Act 4 came out and enough time had passed, more people got to where they could run Merciless Dominus and went into Act 4 through getting the skill point there, but don't run to Merciless Malachai.

I'm sure at some point, we'll get to where running Merciless Malachai is okay, but we don't progress to the next boss in Merciless, or some poo poo.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Well today I learned several things. drat. I had no idea they had that kind of time scale planned.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Now, regarding Piety still being 2 skill points and why I think it's complete poo poo:

I didn't play alpha or closed beta, just open beta. But I remember that at the time, Piety was the end of the game. With that in mind, it made perfect sense for her reward to be big, which two skill points is. Once they extended Act 3 to add Dominus, it no longer made sense for her reward to be as big. They should have either moved the two points to Dominus (my choice, honestly), or spread those two points out and giving a solid reward for killing Dominus, as the end boss -- the only reward before Act 4 was that killing him on Merciless guaranteed a map -- I don't know if this is still the case.

Once Act 4 came out, those rewards should have shifted again, to where Malachai got the big reward. As far as I can tell, there's no longer a huge difficulty increase between Piety and Dominus, as there used to be between Piety and the next difficulty level -- however there's definitely a difficulty bump between Dominus and, say, some of Act 4. So the fact that they still have two points as a reward for Piety, when it's the largest quest reward IN THE GAME is completely insane, IMO.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You see Piety throughout the early game. Twice in A1, once in A2, all throughout A3. I think it's appropriate that she rewards 2 points.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If you havent, check out the old rear end screenshots of it in development.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1401993

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/445682

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1549944/page/1

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Vasudus posted:

You see Piety throughout the early game. Twice in A1, once in A2, all throughout A3. I think it's appropriate that she rewards 2 points.

She's also in Act 4 -- I agree she's a major character -- but she is NOT the final boss of the game.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

There is no final boss.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
If/when they do end up removing Cruel, it'll be kind of difficult to add 7 new skill points. I imagine they'll either have add new Books of Skill to existing acts, or simply increase the skill points gained from the already existing skill books which would kill the complaint of Piety having too many points associated with her quest. But on that note, what exactly can they do story wise in the next act? Malachai is like a super demon threatening the world already and we've killed a bunch of the lore important characters. Do we just wander past the mountain into the forest and kill some more bandits or some poo poo?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Ada posted:

If/when they do end up removing Cruel, it'll be kind of difficult to add 7 new skill points. I imagine they'll either have add new Books of Skill to existing acts, or simply increase the skill points gained from the already existing skill books which would kill the complaint of Piety having too many points associated with her quest. But on that note, what exactly can they do story wise in the next act? Malachai is like a super demon threatening the world already and we've killed a bunch of the lore important characters. Do we just wander past the mountain into the forest and kill some more bandits or some poo poo?

Not just that -- how do we handle the bandit reward that goes away?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My tooltip blade vortex DPS was around 12k-ish at 70, it's up to 16k-ish now. So maybe crit was worth going for. I still need crit multi though :/

As for Izaro, since trap damage scales of max life, I too started running around 70. Being max block, regular mobs didn't scare me at all.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

Ada posted:

They did kind of blow their load lore wise with Malachi and the A4 sub bosses but they can just pull another baddie out of their hat like Atziri, I guess.

Shinino Kage posted:

Not just that -- how do we handle the bandit reward that goes away?

The biggest thing with removing cruel in my opinion is that right now the difficulty ramp up isn't so severe with resists going 0, -20, -60 but if cruel goes away and you suddenly get thrown from 0 to -60 resist, that's a huge defensive power loss that would need to be addressed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ada posted:

they could always shift malachai back and add more stuff before him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pull a destiny. we killed malachai. now malachais daddy is mad at us :v:

• Locked thread