Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

...how the gently caress did I miss that this was coming on Friday? I still need to get around to finishing Jessica Jones.

I finally got around to finishing JJ last week after putting off the last 4 or 5 episodes for a very long time and while I'm glad I have it all under my belt now, man, the plot wheels they were a-spinnin' for a while there. That is a highly un-rewatchable show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Medullah posted:

Well a review of the SXSW screening seems to indicate it's not as bad as I thought it might be, spoilers of plot of first episode -

The story follows Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custer, a reformed criminal badass now ekeing out a living as a small-town preacher in the dusty, West Texas town in which he grew up. Ill-suited for the job of moral guardian, he drinks himself into a dull, lazy hum to drown out his own violent tendencies while offering fairly terrible advice to his parishioners. That begins to change Preacherwhen his ex-girlfriend, a fellow criminal badass named Tulip (Ruth Negga), and an Irish vampire named Cassidy (Joe Gilgun) come to town.

Their arrival coincides with a massive case of divine intervention, as an unspecified entity of enormous spiritual power (comic readers know what it is, the rest of you I’ll leave unspoiled) makes it way across the world looking for a sufficiently religious and strong-willed host to live in. After inadvertently killing several religious leaders across the world — including, hilariously, a famous A-list actor I’ll leave unnamed — it finally settles on (you guessed it) Jesse. Suddenly, the preacher finds himself with the power to compel people to obey him just by speaking. And that’s just the first episode.

Okay, thank god that at least the whole point of the series is there. Call me from dreading to cautiously optimistic. Like Batman V Superman.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they can make a good show where they cut out all the worst Ennis bullshit then all the better. That's all I'm hoping for.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 15, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hakkesshu posted:

If they can make a good show where they cut out all the worst Ellis bullshit then all the better. That's all I'm hoping for.

Sadly the worst arc of the book, Salvation is being heavily drawn from.

Also it's Ennis.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 15, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, they really fixed that costume from how stupid it looked in the season finale. It's still probably not quite as strong as the black mask since it's a bit too busy, but at least it no longer looks like you were watching a crime thriller and suddenly Iron Man 3 showed up.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Also it's Ennis.

gently caress

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I love Frank Millar's work on Daredevil.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Man, they really fixed that costume from how stupid it looked in the season finale. It's still probably not quite as strong as the black mask since it's a bit too busy, but at least it no longer looks like you were watching a crime thriller and suddenly Iron Man 3 showed up.
I really loved the palpable saltiness in the interview with the first season's costume designer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Can anyone find a decent side by side of the two suits because everything I have googled makes both season's suits look nearly identical outside of the coloring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Endless Mike posted:

I really loved the palpable saltiness in the interview with the first season's costume designer.

This one?

Fashionista posted:

What about the final red iconic costume that blew up the Internet, via Marvel's tweet?

I have to be honest about this: I did not create that costume. That costume was conceptualized by Marvel, and it was a huge deal. Fabrics were created, pieces were manufactured. The costume was created by utilizing a variety of craftsmen — let’s put it that way — and it really came together over time. What I've been led to understand is it’s typical of the superhero costumes in the Marvel cinematic universe that they are more or less created by comic illustrators themselves, because they're the ones that conceptualize these things. It’s kind of an odd way to work. I have the feeling that if it happens again, then I will get more involved. I told them that I want to. I think that it would be more efficient that way, but that said, I am really happy with the costumes that they came up with.

I love the half-hearted attempt to sugar coat "it was mandated by editorial and put together by committee".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's the one!

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Netflix has uploaded a brief featurette with a little more footage of the Punisher. I will admit, I wasn't totally on board with Bernthal but I think he's nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7UlDRAE58

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Venmoch posted:

Netflix has uploaded a brief featurette with a little more footage of the Punisher. I will admit, I wasn't totally on board with Bernthal but I think he's nailed it.

AV Club reviewed the first seven episodes Mild as gently caress spoilers follow.

quote:

The Punisher functions as a walking indictment of Murdock’s methods, sure, but an impressively vital one, mainly because of the brilliant casting of The Walking Dead’s Jon Bernthal in the role of Frank Castle. (Like the names Daredevil and Kingpin, Castle has his comics nom de guerre thrust on him by the press and the police, another way the series hews to its street-level take on superheroics.) Like Murdock’s initial appearance, this Punisher eschews his gaudy but fan-familiar skull shirt costume, preferring a no-nonsense combat ensemble. While Castle’s backstory remains the same—a murdered family spurring his implacable quest for vengeance against New York’s underworld—Bernthal makes the character’s motivations devastatingly raw. When Castle finally reveals his own reasons for extra-legal justice, Bernthal is simply spellbinding, turning Frank Castle’s oft-told origin story into something uniquely, uncompromisingly human.

Castle gets the drop on Daredevil (whom he mockingly calls “Red”) after an impressively nasty fight. He then gives the chained Murdock an ethical conundrum that’s as high-concept as it gets, intended to make Murdock admit, as Castle growls, “You’re one bad day away from being me.” That debate over the morality of going outside the law to enforce the good informs the entire season, even when Frank Castle gives way to the season’s other fan-favorite antihero: Elektra Natchios (District 13: Ultimatum’s Elodie Yung). Murdock classifies his former lover as a “bored, spoiled little rich girl” (although one with incredible fighting skills). Having become some manner of thrill-happy international criminal-assassin, Elektra’s desire to have Matt back in her life after 10 years is revealed to have something to do with her father’s investments in an evil corporation (called Roxxon—red flag for comics readers), and perhaps more to do with the pair’s shared romantic history.

Yung is another fine addition this season, as her purring, seemingly blithe indifference to anything but her own whims digs away at Matt’s confidence in his own righteousness. (In the pair’s flashback scenes, a floppy-banged Cox shows us a reckless and sexy Matt Murdock, reveling in his powers with a since-shed insouciance.) After Daredevil has, once again, essentially tortured a henchman for information, she brings him up short with, “You don’t get what you want in the day, you take it at night—by force.”

Vincent D’Onofrio’s towering menace as Wilson Fisk is definitely missed (at least so far; he didn’t appear in the seven episodes available for critics). But Bernthal and Yung make Castle and Elektra an effective season-long two-pronged assault on Matt Murdock’s heroic identity, which gives Daredevil’s supporting characters a clearer purpose as well.

So basically, Punisher and Elektra are really good in the show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sepinwall wasn't as big of a fan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Venmoch posted:

So it looks like they are doing the rooftop "Daredevil in chains, forced to shot Castle to stop him from shooting someone else" scene from the books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I really like the line about how Daredevil is best when its anti Millar, so like Mark Waids run. What about the classic Bendis/Bru run?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the same problems season 1 had though, so he's not saying it's worse really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guys.

What if iturns out TV Daredevil was the one who proved TV Luke Cage's innocence and now they are bros.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last night's episode of AoS name dropped Eden Fesi which hopefully means we'll be getting Manifold this season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Last night's episode of AoS name dropped Eden Fesi which hopefully means we'll be getting Manifold this season.

They did say that they were going straight up Secret Warriors from here. I heard some rumors of Jake Fury being a thing at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always thought Eden was a mutant, though I might be getting him confused with the other Aborigine teleport guy from the Australia arc.

Absorbing Man was super awesome last night too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure they never actually said he was a mutant, he just was trained by Gateway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gotham got renewed for another season. I wonder how far down the Batman hole they'll go considering Bruce already has a proto-Batcave and at the end of this week's episode he ran off with Selina to begin his training by trying to survive using only his wits on the mean streets of Gotham.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is exactly why a prequel series is so stupid. You can only get so much mileage out of "Will one day be Batman" until you just start shoving things that shouldn't be part of the story yet in there because that's the exciting stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Young Bruce had a pretty obvious growth spurt so they're gonna have to move him on to doing Batman things. Hopefully this kid can grow into a believable looking young Batman or else it's just going to be silly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Silly? On Gotham? Nah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Young Bruce had a pretty obvious growth spurt so they're gonna have to move him on to doing Batman things. Hopefully this kid can grow into a believable looking young Batman or else it's just going to be silly.

Yea, I totally support the show going "yep, he's becoming Batman". He doesn't have to put on the cowl, but we can see him running around learning martial arts, detective skills and other stuff he'll need later on.

One thing I am impressed is they've pretty much ignored anything else in the DC universe. No mention of Farris Aircraft, or any other cities; "I heard so and so went to Coast City".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

One thing I am impressed is they've pretty much ignored anything else in the DC universe. No mention of Farris Aircraft, or any other cities; "I heard so and so went to Coast City".

Because they only licensed the Batman characters and don't have the leeway the CW shows have.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he'll grow into Adam West Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, commercials for this week's episode were kind of weird because they were using a clip from the pilot and he looked tiny.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've always thought Gotham could do a good three seasons of the city falling apart and the ending of season three Bruce goes off to train and the something happens like a Arkham riot and the villains start taking over. Season four begins with Bruce back as a fresh faced batman, Gordon barely holding the police force and a couple areas of town together, and the villains have little kingdoms within the city that have border skirmishes.

Kinda a mash up of warriors, precinct 13, and '60s batman.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

I've always thought Gotham could do a good three seasons of the city falling apart and the ending of season three Bruce goes off to train and the something happens like a Arkham riot and the villains start taking over. Season four begins with Bruce back as a fresh faced batman, Gordon barely holding the police force and a couple areas of town together, and the villains have little kingdoms within the city that have border skirmishes.

They could get a lot of mileage out of expanding the part in Batman Begins when Bruce returns to Gotham but didn't have the bat suit yet. He could be secretly fighting crime, learning he ropes, learning to investigate, and slowly building his arsenal of gadgets, with the series ending on the completed suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You mean a CGI version of the suit, shot at a distance.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You mean a CGI version of the suit, shot at a distance.

Not even a full shot, let's be real. Maybe the chest emblem and part of the mask.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Maybe call him something like the blur?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The shade. What do you mean there's already a guy called that? Who cares, no one reads comics.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Finn Jones officially confirmed for Iron Fist and promo image released.
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/710472792366514176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Season 3 finale

INT: GOTHAM TRAIN STATION. BRUCE AND ALFRED SAY FAREWELLS

SMASH CUT TO GORDON'S APARTMENT, GORDON STARES AT MIRROR.

Gordon: "You know, I should grow a mustache..."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RevKrule posted:

Finn Jones officially confirmed for Iron Fist and promo image released.
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/710472792366514176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hmmm, looks interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Danny Rand?

This is Danny Rand speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your mystical city, and if you wish to know why you are perishing - you who dread the iron fist of K’un-Lun  - I am the man who will now tell you.