Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Darth Walrus posted:

Implies that they think they've got some strategy here. Even with whipping, you'd usually expect a few more rebellions than that over such a controversial bill.

Most of the people who would normally rebel over this kind of authoritarianism are currently in the Shadow Cabinet. Umunna and Hunt are going to be all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Implies that they think they've got some strategy here. Even with whipping, you'd usually expect a few more rebellions than that over such a controversial bill.

To be fair abstaining until the bill is in it's final form and then voting against it is a sound strategy. If nothing else it makes their opposition look considered rather than reactionary.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The question is what amendments they will bring

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh well RIP Bernie, I thought you had a chance and maybe everything might just be ok :negative:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh well RIP Bernie, I thought you had a chance and maybe everything might just be ok :negative:

i see you are new to politics

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I am not but after corbyn I allowed myself to hope. Won't be doing that again.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Y'know, hope is a mistake.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hope is very un-british. Resigned misery is the national character.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

ThomasPaine posted:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sage wisdom

haakman
May 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

So I hear the UK is about to Charterize all of its public schools? :stare:. That's, uh, certainly something

I'll do an effort post on this when I have a free period from teaching later on today. Suffice to say this is very bad... I'm talking Junior Doctors bad. I am going to be quitting teaching because of this.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

haakman posted:

I'll do an effort post on this when I have a free period from teaching later on today. Suffice to say this is very bad... I'm talking Junior Doctors bad. I am going to be quitting teaching because of this.
Yes! Please do. I know a couple of teachers who are up in arms about this, but they're not political people, so it'll be interesting to get a UKMT take on it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have to say seeing sanders supporters melting down here and reddit, and going full racist is pretty gratifying.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

I have to say seeing sanders supporters melting down here and reddit, and going full racist is pretty gratifying.

Shut the gently caress up retard

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Is president meme definitely out of the running now?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Puntification posted:

Is president meme definitely out of the running now?

Short of a miracle, yes. Which means the choice of president is between a dishonest, megalomaniacal politician who has been busy amassing a personal fortune and promises a blood-thirsty foreign policy, and Donald Trump.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
:rip: america lol

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

:rip: everything, full accelerationism is on the cards. Also lol at the 'burn it all down' policy of every school being turned into an academy.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pesmerga posted:

Short of a miracle, yes. Which means the choice of president is between a dishonest, megalomaniacal politician who has been busy amassing a personal fortune and promises a blood-thirsty foreign policy, and Donald Trump.

RIP bernie, too dank to live. #crashandberned

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Puntification posted:

RIP bernie, too dank to live. #crashandberned

The US will not get the President it needs but the one it deserves

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Academisinf everything wouldn't work though would it? I thought the appeal was you put schools with the well behaved, high performing students in private hands then marveled at the private sectors ability to do great things, while leaving struggling ķids in the state schools. A bit like how we privatise elective orthopaedics which is a money spinner while keeping ITU a state run endeavour

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

winegums posted:

Academisinf everything wouldn't work though would it? I thought the appeal was you put schools with the well behaved, high performing students in private hands then marveled at the private sectors ability to do great things, while leaving struggling ķids in the state schools. A bit like how we privatise elective orthopaedics which is a money spinner while keeping ITU a state run endeavour

It's all based in a belief that lassez-faire actually ever existed and that it's the best way for the world to run. Privatise everything, and anything that fails deserves to fail (unless you're personally invested in it of course, in which case prop that thing up!)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

winegums posted:

They want to crush the teachers union.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

They want to crush the teachers union.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
On the snoopers charter, wouldn't the Internets push to have https as the standard render a lot of the bills URL collection pointless? Only the domain would be loggable.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
tory boys doing tory thangs

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tax-credit-cuts-income-disregard-george-osborne-voted-without-debate-a6931676.html

quote:

MPs have voted to make £1 billion of cuts to tax credits, without holding a parliamentary debate on the subject.
George Osborne said in his autumn statement that he had cancelled cuts to the in-work benefits – but a little-noticed cut to the so-called “income disregard” was quietly left in place.
The change reduces the amount a claimant’s income can increase in a year before their claim is reassessed – from £5,000 to £2,500.
Any low-income worker who earns more than they had expected in a year over the threshold is forced to pay back some or all of their tax credits.
Labour says the £1 billion cuts will make 800,000 more people on low incomes poorer.
MPs voted by 272 to 228 to pass the cuts, with most Labour MPs against and most Conservatives in favour.
The cut was brought through Parliament as a statutory instrument meaning it does not have to go through all the stages of debate – a favourite tactic of the current Government.
That whole parliamentary scrutiny thing is just so passé, don't you think?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mega Comrade posted:

On the snoopers charter, wouldn't the Internets push to have https as the standard render a lot of the bills URL collection pointless? Only the domain would be loggable.

Well Cameron did say that we should ban encryption because it's exclusively used to do terrorisms

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sylvia Anderson has passed away. Looks like we're down for a whole year of it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
e/ nm, I'm dumb

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Quote-Unquote posted:

Well Cameron did say that we should ban encryption because it's exclusively used to do terrorisms
The tories pushing in the opposite direction to the entire industry over what is regarded as progress is hardly surprising, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they plan to achieve it with Twitter, Dropbox, StartPage and others backing Encrypt All The Things and Mozilla, Facebook, Cisco, Google Chrome and others supporting Let's Encrypt. That's like 45 major technology companies supporting two large scale projects pushing encryption as something that ordinary people and every website should support and care about.

Is this going to end up as a thing where the big business worshipping tories and the authoritarian shitwad tories end up at odds? I don't see that kind of fracturing yet, but as was said above it could be used to split the vote. Until the New Labour secruocrats push it through anyway. :smith:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

quote:

Loads of people are asking Google if George Osborne is sexy.

It may seem weird, but it seems like loads of people have a thing for the honourable member for Tatton.

Google's Trends page lists 'George Osborne single' and 'George Osborne wife' among the top search terms for the Chancellor.

So, as he prepares to make his biggest speech of the year, delivering the 2016 Budget - we took a look at why people might want the man at Number 11 to be their Number 1.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Ok, so academies and why they are dumb.

1) Academies do not have to stick to the national pay and conditions scale for teachers. Teachers pay, those wonderful holidays (hah) and 9 til 3 working hours (hah)? All determined by national pay & conditions scale. Local Authorities (LAs) stick to these. Academies have, conventionally, stuck to these (though I have heard horror stories from colleagues - management saying things like "Holidays are for students only").

The reason academies stick to these conditions currently? Well, why the gently caress would I go work in a place with demonstrably worse conditions if I have an option to stay/work in a LA school? LA schools act as a counterweight to academies.

If you academise all schools there is no counterweight. In order to make 'efficiency' and increase profit/value for stakeholders/heads/corporate interests who have put money into the school some money the school makes/receives has to go to them. Where does this money come from? Why, teachers pay and conditions! It will be a race to the bottom, mark my words. Teachers will be paid less. They will work more hours. All in all bad news if you are a teacher.

2) In tandem with the above - real teachers are expensive. They have a degree and then a year's post grad training followed by another year of training on the job. These are requirements (not in FE/Post 16+ but that's another story). Academies do not require these qualifications. Much easier to hire someone with a degree in the subject, who will definitely be cheaper - graduate labour comes cheap nowadays if you want it. Once again, bad. Expect schools to be staffed with graduates with no teaching experience shortly. The old adage 'those who can't, teach'? Well, that's going to be true soon. Massive detriment to students. I was taught, for 2 years, at private school. My History teacher was the librarian. It was shocking. I loving hated history because of it. (A-Level had the best History teacher and inspired me to become one).

3) Curriculum. The National Curriculum is required by state schools. Whist not ideal it can sometimes act as a bulwark against certain types of crazy teaching ideas (to follow). Academies do not have to teach via the National Curriculum. They must provide a 'balanced' education. The only core subjects they need to focus on are English, Maths & Science and Religious Education...
It is entirely conceivable that Academies will be able to teach creationism as fact. They will also not teach less 'popular' subjects - they do not get funding if a subject is under-subscribed. Once again, bad.

4) Private interests - do I need to say more? If you are beholden to a private interest, whether or not the red-tape says academies are charities - you can be drat sure they will want something in return for their investment. Either cheap labour ("come to our CarpetRight sponsored open day about writing a CV") or via actual, direct monetary reward. It is not uncommon for academy chains (CarpetRight ffs!) to sack all governers and replace them with corporate stooges.

5) Responsibility. Previously democratically elected Local Authorities. Academies are responsible to the Department of Education directly. Some of those batshit ideas Gove had about our imperial past? Yup, they could be taught in academies. Politicians will now get carte blanche to set curriculum and guidelines for academies. Once again, bad.

6) Funding - lots of crowing from people saying "well I went to an academy. It was a poo poo school but when we turned to an academy it went well". Cool. That's because your school was in special measures and was turned into an academy to save it. What happened was the GoVt threw a gently caress tonne of money at your school (10% increase in budget) and voila - improvement! It's almost as if education could be improved if you stopped systematically defunding it and instead chucked money at it...

This funding (called Local Authority Central Spend Equivalent Grant) will no longer be available. New schools converting into academies will not get any funding. In the past converters did. Not anymore. It is not a flagship policy. One of the only benefits of academisation was the extra money you got for turning into an academy. The majority of schools did convert because they needed money, not because they thought it would improve results.

7) Results - 60 per cent of pupils in non-academy schools attained five A* to C-grade GCSEs in 2011, compared to just 47 per cent in the (then) 249 sponsored academies. This gets even worse when you factor in that academies are cooking the (lovely) books.

Academies have been relying on GCSE/GCE 'equivalent' subjects. Rather than putting students into GCSEs & A-Levels they are being put onto vocational equivalents. BTECs for example. So rather than doing A-Level science or PE, they will be put on BTEC Sport or BTEC Applied Science. "Cool, I was always poo poo at exams anyway" might be your thinking. However, and here is the problem. There is no loving rigour in a BTEC. See, A-levels & GCSEs are externally moderated - you do the exam, you get it marked by an examiner and then your result is determined by the results of everyone else taking that exam in the country. BTECs don't do this - they are internally assessed. The teachers teaching you mark it and give you grades. Conflict of interest much? Pressure for results = grade inflation. It's virtually impossible to fail a BTEC. As an anecdote - a colleague of mine teaches BTEC Public Services. Last year they increased an externally examined module. One module, out of about 10. Every single student failed.

Academies are not suitably academic. Which is a delicious irony because the Tories are trying to close sixth forms and FE because they do not represent academic institutions and replace them with academies.

There is no evidence which links academies to increased success which cannot be explained by looking at other factors i.e having a loving HUGE TONNE OF MONEY THROWN AT YOU.

8) Final and most important point - the learners. All of the above directly affect students. The most important thing in education are the learners. That's why most teachers do it and haven't quit yet. All of the above is going to cripple a generation of students with a poor education. I cannot bear it, it absolutely breaks my heart to know that I will be getting students (I teach A-Level exclusively) who I will need to spend the majority of my time loving de-programming from all the bad habits they pick up being taught badly at GCSE. I already have evidence, from my own teaching, that students coming from academies are significantly worse at critical thinking, literacy and historical knowledge than students who went to a state school.

So in conclusion: gently caress academies. It's a clumsy stealth privatisation of our education system. Goodbye critical thinking and hello a bunch of mindless drones who do not question anything, value money above everything else and think that CarpetRight invented the idea of democracy whilst killing the dinosaurs 3,000 years ago.

I've missed some things, but hope the above helps.

haakman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 16, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

haakman posted:

I've missed some things, but hope the above helps.
A big one would be the governors themselves. It's an unpaid position which means you get to have one of the following types:
• Parents of kids in attendance. They have an incentive to actually make sure that the school does well, for as long as they have a kid there. Then they leave suddenly or just drift off.
• Volunteers who genuinely care about their community. These people really want to help, but might not really know how, and might be trying to do it all in their spare time between working hours.
• Corporate stooges. As you mentioned. Bad.
• The independently wealthy. Landed gentry, bored peers, and random new money bourg who have decided that they have noblesse oblige to steward the education of the proles, no matter how competent they are at that.

I'm not convinced that any of the above have less bureaucracy, red tape, or petty infighting than the LAs, which really was the main stated reason for the push to academies.

I object to this though

haakman posted:

Goodbye critical thinking and hello a bunch of mindless STEM drones who do not question anything, value money above everything else
Because lol at the idea that anyone goes into a pure science or pure mathematics for the money and comes out without any critical thinking skills and fundamental questions about the nature of reality or of human thought. Even if those questions are just 'why did I choose to specialize in pure mathematics'?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

haakman posted:

So in conclusion: gently caress academies. It's a clumsy stealth privatisation of our education system. Goodbye critical thinking and hello a bunch of mindless STEM drones who do not question anything, value money above everything else and think that CarpetRight invented the idea of democracy whilst killing the dinosaurs 3,000 years ago.

So basically by the time we're the crusty old folks gerontocracy really will be the best system of government, because all the younguns will be awful. Yay. (great effortpost, thanks)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My wife is a governor in a small village primary school and age is massively angry about this and will probably resign. For her the concern is the huge level of support managerialy that such schools get in terms of policy support and implementation, training and mentor ship for Heads etc. Without the LA they will have to buy this in from the private sector which is I guess what the government want.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Academisation sounds like the dead cat they want to use to distract Labour and the media from the budget. There is no real reason to announce it at the same time because its not a budget dependent measure.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Because lol at the idea that anyone goes into a pure science or pure mathematics for the money and comes out without any critical thinking skills and fundamental questions about the nature of reality or of human thought. Even if those questions are just 'why did I choose to specialize in pure mathematics'?

I'll edit this out because I don't want another Great Humanities vs STEM war. That was not the intention of saying it, rather that the curriculum will be unbalanced. In actuality what you are finding is the take up of the 'hard' subjects like sciences is falling in academies.

haakman fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 16, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

haakman posted:

I'll edit this out because I don't want another Great Humanities vs STEM war. That was not the intention of saying it, rather that the curriculum will be unbalanced.

Maybe the curriculum being more tilted towards marketable skills is not the worst thing?

haakman
May 5, 2011
I tried...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I get what you were going for. The T and E parts often have a 'this will get me the megabucks' attitude behind them, but the S and M (:whip:) parts have as much critical thinking behind them as philosophy and the humanities, just of a different sort. Horses for courses and all that.

Unfortunately the critical thinking of any of them seems to be second fiddle to what someone with a PPE degree believes reality to be at the moment.

Pesky Splinter posted:

(See also; Drug policy, education, welfare policies, NHS, etc, etc)

• Locked thread