Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This just in: chick peas full of chick peaness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Took some leftover white rice from chinese takeout, threw it in a wok with some ghee to get it nice and crispy, added a can of KO mediterranean, three poached eggs, and a tablespoon of Angry Granny sauce.

Those were some damned good dines.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

This just in: chick peas full of chick peaness.

my god is that a Critic reference? how old are you?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Epic High Five posted:

Bahaha. I also still reference that Orson Welles spoof to this day.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Epic High Five posted:

We don't truck ta any age shaming tomfoolery in this here dadthread, sonny.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV1zfn60Uls&t=287s

Bum the Sad posted:

Bahaha. I also still reference that Orson Welles spoof to this day.

:hf:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got my package from the KO Oscars contest. It includes the Spanish style. So loving pumped.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

I had a stomach flu kick in right after eating a season can

spent 7 hours spewing sardine-stank from both ends

now the thought of eating sardines is no longer appetizing but still causes salivation

pray for me, sardine thread

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Trip report:

RIGA SPRATS ARE AMAZING.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

final2percent posted:

I had a stomach flu kick in right after eating a season can

spent 7 hours spewing sardine-stank from both ends

now the thought of eating sardines is no longer appetizing but still causes salivation

pray for me, sardine thread

I wish you well goon sir. Godspeed.

Eat more tiny canned fishes for a swifter recovery.

Source: none. proceed at own (delicious) risk.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The black pepper king oscars are good poo poo. ate a tin for lunch and got a big boner.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ceciltron posted:

Trip report:

RIGA SPRATS ARE AMAZING.

They are pretty perfect.

WatermelonGun posted:

The black pepper king oscars are good poo poo. ate a tin for lunch and got a big boner.

They make my teeth feel weird and give me a headache. I regret buying a 12 pack. I was sure I'd like them and they're my least favorite KO flavor so far.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So are sprats and brislings the same small fish or no?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't you guys worried about mercury poisoning?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

the yeti posted:

Yes sir, they are

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

No, because sardines are towards the bottom of the food chain and bioaccumulate significantly less mercury than large predator fish like tuna.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

http://www.kingoscar.com/low-mercury-sardines.pdf

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you can even get relatively free reign on Baltic sardines even after all the dioxins the USSR dumped in there, because they are caught relatively young.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the yeti posted:

"Sardine" is more a category of fish than a specific breed, although it is also a breed. Usually a brisling is a sprat. Sometimes just tiny herring are dines. It goes like this, is the fish oily and can sized? Yes? It is a dine.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5960429_difference-between-sprats-sardines.html

Another way I could have said this is that a culinary sardine is any small oil fish while scientifically you can be more specific.

raton fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 16, 2016

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Target in Stockton where my mom lives doesn't carry 'dines. Meanwhile, the Target near my house in Portland carries King Oscars. :cmon:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
fuckin hell i used to live in riga as a kid, if only i had known about sardines... young 8 year old dine dad...

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Sardine" is more a category of fish than a specific breed, although it is also a breed. Usually a brisling is a sprat. Sometimes just tiny herring are dines. It goes like this, is the fish oily and can sized? Yes? It is a dine.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5960429_difference-between-sprats-sardines.html

Another way I could have said this is that a culinary sardine is any small oil fish while scientifically you can be more specific.

I am enlightened.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anchovies are never dines despite being small and oily. This is due to the funk. The funk is mostly from the processing rather than the fish but the fact remains.

raton fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 16, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You can have my anchovies when you pry them from my cold dead can.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
That article talks about maine and california dine canning industry, but i thought the last us cannery shut down. What gives?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

You can have my anchovies when you pry them from my cold dead can.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I ordered a pizza and put my own damned anchovies on it. Now that's a salty treat.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

I ordered a pizza and put my own damned anchovies on it. Now that's a salty treat.

They never put enough on at the pizza place anyway so this is a good idea.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

ChrisHansen posted:

That article talks about maine and california dine canning industry, but i thought the last us cannery shut down. What gives?

Uhhh, I think the question is why in god's name did you come to the conclusion that there were no more US canneries?

I have a serious question relating to 'dines. What sort of cracker? I've tried a few brands from my local grocery store, but they either taste like sawdust or are basically sawdust. I need a cracker with some structural integrity! Any suggestions.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

triscuits

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Overwined posted:

Uhhh, I think the question is why in god's name did you come to the conclusion that there were no more US canneries?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04cannery.html?referer=

E: dadliest lady was interviewed in the article

quote:

“I don’t know how to do anything else,” Ms. Harrington said. But she is not interested in training for another job because she is convinced it would mean working with computers. “I don’t want nothing to do with computers,” she declared. “I don’t have one, I don’t want to learn. No, sir. I’m going to do my scrapbooking and quilting.”

ChrisHansen fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 17, 2016

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Ms. Harrington indeed.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Anchovies are never dines despite being small and oily. This is due to the funk. The funk is mostly from the processing rather than the fish but the fact remains.

Good quality anchovies are not funky. They're kind of a nice place inbetween 'dine and anchovy, taste-wise.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
stoned wheat thins

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just use saltines, I believe the hot sauce you use is more important than the cracker. Melinda's XXXtra hot is highly recommended. Also the blanket recommendations of Valentina, which is beautiful and wonderful for all things, and El Yucateco XXXtra hot if you can find it

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 17, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't a cracker's culinary niche to be an edible cardboard mini-plate? Like the entire point is to be a neutral porous substrate to soak up dine oil and if you want your edible plates to taste like something on their own you need a little yeast in the mix so best graduate to toast points.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/12196163/Edible-cutlery-could-this-simple-invention-help-save-the-world.html

Dadly as gently caress.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Overwined posted:

I have a serious question relating to 'dines. What sort of cracker? I've tried a few brands from my local grocery store, but they either taste like sawdust or are basically sawdust. I need a cracker with some structural integrity! Any suggestions.

I like ak-mak "sesame crackers made with organically grown 'Whole of the Wheat' flour stone ground".

Slather them with Maille Originale and you're in business.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

See, I understand that crackers are supposed to only lend a little flavor to things. It's the structural integrity I have a problem with. It's like particulate furniture vs wood plank furniture. Bad crackers are all mealy and crumbly and they can't absorb poo poo because they're kind of like compressed sand. I need something that will stand up for itself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

have you tried: triscuits