Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I just hope the iPhone 7 is grippier than the 6, like bring back the chamfered edges on the back of it or something. Also make the touch id button register swipes so I can scroll pages with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Seriously. My dad got a new 4S through his work (or a very well kept used one, I dunno) and holy poo poo, there really is something to be said about the design of that thing. its beautiful to look at and hold.

Frankly if they made a iphone 6 sized iphone 5, I would be all over that. I have dropped my 6 more than any other phone I have ever owned.

It seems that they are doubling down on this design from the leaks though, which sucks.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jose Oquendo posted:

stop driving sideways

Yep, driving your car wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you ain't out of control, you ain't in control.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The iPhone 4 was cool at release except if you looked at it wrong it would shatter and it was way too heavy, it also got supremely hosed by some update circa 5 release that made it run slower but that's up for debate. I was pretty glad to be rid of my iPhone 4 by the end, although many of be worst problems were fixed by the 4s such as the sticky home button and my power button complexly stopped working. The iPhone 4 made me switch to android until the 6s which i think is a the best iPhone yet

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The thing that kinda killed the 4 was the near-exponential performance gains made right after it. It made it much less viable to keep running than say the 5S is now.
Still felt like the perfect size / weight at the time though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The 4 has more or less influenced all smartphone design since.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The iPhone desperately needs some options with regard to how it handles incoming calls. If I'm using the phone when a call comes in, I want a single mom-looping tone and a notification drop down with answer and hang up buttons, similar to an incoming text message or email.

I do not want the entire screen seized from me. I don't want the video I'm watching to stop unless I choose to answer. I can maybe understand that some people will want a looping sound, so that should be an option, but the full screen Answer/HangUp thing is rooted in the original iPhone, which was designed far more to be a traditional cellphone that occasionally does a thing, rather than the online app machine that happens to use cellular bands that it has become.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

The thing that kinda killed the 4 was the near-exponential performance gains made right after it. It made it much less viable to keep running than say the 5S is now.
Still felt like the perfect size / weight at the time though.

I dunno, what shocks me is watching the 4 struggle on things the original iPhone did faster in the first jobs unveiling

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Craptacular! posted:

The iPhone desperately needs some options with regard to how it handles incoming calls. If I'm using the phone when a call comes in, I want a single mom-looping tone and a notification drop down with answer and hang up buttons, similar to an incoming text message or email.

I do not want the entire screen seized from me. I don't want the video I'm watching to stop unless I choose to answer. I can maybe understand that some people will want a looping sound, so that should be an option, but the full screen Answer/HangUp thing is rooted in the original iPhone, which was designed far more to be a traditional cellphone that occasionally does a thing, rather than the online app machine that happens to use cellular bands that it has become.

Hell yeah nobody wants to receive phone calls on their cell phone anymore

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Not now, mom. I'm watching a video

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Hell yeah nobody wants to receive phone calls on their cell phone anymore

This but unironically

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

This but unironically

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bass Bottles posted:

This but unironically

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol Goons pretending they not only get phone calls but get multiple phone calls at a time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If we could get a smartphone that was data only it would be the new saddle brown, you either got it or everyone hates you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bass Bottles posted:

This but unironically

Exactly right. This is a texting society, now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus cell voice quality is still serious dogshit and carriers seem to be putting no effort into improving it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xzzy posted:

Plus cell voice quality is still serious dogshit and carriers seem to be putting no effort into improving it.

I have resorted to FaceTime audio or Skype whenever I'm able.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

IllegallySober posted:

Exactly right. This is a texting society, now.

Sucks if you have an almost blind relative though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Craptacular! posted:

I've never had a problem with phone calls taking over my phone, but I have noticed before that the Phone app does have a settings page in the Notifications settings. It has options for alert style when unlocked like any other app: None/Banner/Alert. If you set it to Banner does it not just pop up a banner as requested when you get a call?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

xzzy posted:

VoLTE sounds pretty drat good.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's obscene that VoLTE is optional/per carrier and not a mandatory part of the spec.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ethanol posted:

I dunno, what shocks me is watching the 4 struggle on things the original iPhone did faster in the first jobs unveiling

I never had a 4, but from my experience owning a 3GS and never updating its OS I would imagine the 4 would still be perfectly usable running whatever the latest IOS 4.x was.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Did they announce when support for the 4s would end? I think my wife needs a new phone.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

She needed a new phone a year ago.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LODGE NORTH posted:

She needed a new phone a year ago.

She's really resistant to change and if the poo poo works she doesnt care.

The poo poo is working like poo poo now. Battery issue I think.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

LingcodKilla posted:

Did they announce when support for the 4s would end? I think my wife needs a new phone.

Probably September when iOS X comes out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

If we could get a smartphone that was data only it would be the new saddle brown, you either got it or everyone hates you.
You can get data only plans if you're deaf, or at least that's what I recall reading about years ago from non deaf people trying to get a data only plan. Looking it up it was back with the original on EDGE before there were any third party apps to begin with.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I've never had a problem with phone calls taking over my phone, but I have noticed before that the Phone app does have a settings page in the Notifications settings. It has options for alert style when unlocked like any other app: None/Banner/Alert. If you set it to Banner does it not just pop up a banner as requested when you get a call?
It doesn't, I think it's for voicemails? I've only seen that a few times, like reception is bad and the call never gets to me before sending the other person to voicemail, then bam mystery voicemail out of nowhere.

And yeah the modal answering interface is annoying on the iPhone, and what's really annoying is that it's the same drat thing on the iPad.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

It's obscene that VoLTE is optional/per carrier and not a mandatory part of the spec.

Cell carriers upgrade slowly in part because they're still supporting your grandmas GSM flip phone from 2003. VoLTE requires a bunch of changes to the backend equipment, so it isn't a cheap or easy upgrade for the carriers - it'll come but won't be instant.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't see this info in the OP, but I'm guessing this is the thread to ask in. My GF has an old iPhone 5s that we want to use when we go to Italy and Abu Dhabi next month. She's requested AT&T unlock it and received an email that says it was successful, but the phone still looks like it is on AT&T. I want to test it with a SIM card. Can I get a free one just to test it with?

Also, anyone have ideas on how to get a sim card for Abu Dhabi/Dubai and Italy while I'm here in the US to be ready for the trip?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I think you have to restore the phone for it to actually unlock. iTunes should then pop up a message saying it's unlocked. Although yeah, hard to actually test it (afaik...) without another service's SIM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you have to restore your phone for the unlock to happen. I *think* it has to be specifically via iTunes, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://9to5mac.com/2016/03/17/iphone-se-5s-12-megapixel-4k/

quote:

In January, we reported that Apple would be launching a new 4-inch iPhone in March with a design “nearly identical” to that of the iPhone 5s from 2013. Since then, several rumors and teases from various case makers have teased that the new 4-inch iPhone may have a design that looks a bit closer to the iPhone 6 in both shape and look. Checks with additional sources indicate that the iPhone SE, to be launched at Apple’s March 21st event next week, will look “almost exactly the same” as the iPhone 5s…

thank god, i just want my 5 back. i'm not a fan of the rounded edges on the 6/6s

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
I wonder if the screen resolution or size will go up considering advancements in screen/bezel reduction and their new use of the curved glass on the edge like on the 6.

Like, I bet they could fit 4.25" of screen in the same dimensions as the 5s currently

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it weird that i've been most, if not all of my Apple news from MacRumors now? There's actually decent coverage of non-rumor happenings and the speculation articles aren't actually bad if you take any rumors with a grain of salt. They're doing a decent play-by-play of the whole Apple/FBI privacy thing.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there any rumored release date for iOS 9.3?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

maybe the 21st, to coincide with the event

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Avocados posted:

Is it weird that i've been most, if not all of my Apple news from MacRumors now? There's actually decent coverage of non-rumor happenings and the speculation articles aren't actually bad if you take any rumors with a grain of salt. They're doing a decent play-by-play of the whole Apple/FBI privacy thing.

Not that weird now that MacWorld is a shithole of irrelevant PC/gadget news with a loving helping of sponsored posts, and ArsTechnica is a shadow of its former self.

Every other site from back in the day is dead. :woz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

smoobles posted:

Is there any rumored release date for iOS 9.3?

Monday at approximately 3:00pm ET