Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I was reminded last night that once I finished Sarah Jane's classic series run, I would sit down and watch my first Second Doctor story. I'm open to suggestions.

(Anything) but The War Games. I don't want my first Troughton story to be his last)

"Tomb of the Cybermen" or "Enemy of the World".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tomb of the Cybermen, then The Mind Robber, then the Invasion, then the Seeds of Doom, then devour EVERYTHING you can until you indulge in the glorious 4 hours of the War Games. Then you get to enjoy the slowly creeping despair of realizing how much of his stuff is currently lost (it still exists, shut up, somebody just needs to find it. Somebody WILL find it).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Tomb of the Cybermen, then The Mind Robber, then the Invasion, then the Seeds of Doom, then devour EVERYTHING you can until you indulge in the glorious 4 hours of the War Games. Then you get to enjoy the slowly creeping despair of realizing how much of his stuff is currently lost (it still exists, shut up, somebody just needs to find it. Somebody WILL find it).

Philip Morris has it all stashed in a bag under his sink. Everyone knows that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Philip Morris has it all stashed in a bag under his sink. Everyone knows that.

Gonna read in the news tomorrow about Ian Levine being caught trying to climb in through the water pipes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

It's especially disappointing because season 8 was so strong.

Ehhh, two episodes were but there was a lot of weakness in there - Deep Breath was extended specially to give us even more poo poo comedy, the first half of the series has at best a few solid episodes (maybe with the exception of Listen if you really enjoyed it), but the second half of the series is poor except for those two excellent stories.

Remember that Moffat's in-universe tribute to Nicholas Courtney was to have his corpse shoot someone after being reanimated by the Master.

Jerusalem posted:

Seeds of Doom is pretty good, but would probably fit better into a 4th Doctor marathon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really dug season 8, apart from the two pretty awful episodes of Doctor Who and the Space Spiders and In the Forest of the Night. Deep Breath had an awful opening half but apart from that and those two previously mentioned episodes, I thought the other episodes ranged from solid to absolutely amazing. I thought the season strung together better than 9 too in the way it explored Clara's reaction to the new Doctor and how that shifted from desperate hope to bitterness and anger to joyful acceptance, and how her growing closeness to him threw her own life/values so far out of whack. There's a lot going on with how she sees the Doctor, how he sees himself, how others see him (not just Danny but the Master too, obviously) and that it all lead to this moment makes it so worth it for me:

http://i.imgur.com/GhTi5um.gifv

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Seeds of Doom is pretty good, but would probably fit better into a 4th Doctor marathon

Oops, yes I meant Seeds of Death, sorry.

Immediately followed by Seeds of Doom :colbert:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Toxxupation posted:

i mean tbf the specific way i watch it exacerbates the issues but i really don't like really not liking watching doctor who
Speaking as someone who's been a Doctor Who fangirl since '80 or so, this was the first season I ever watched all the way through only because I've made it too far to give up now. I only stuck with it out of stubbornness. :(

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

Speaking as someone who's been a Doctor Who fangirl since '80 or so, this was the first season I ever watched all the way through only because I've made it too far to give up now. I only stuck with it out of stubbornness. :(

If you made it through Trial of a Time Lord for any reason other than stubbornness then I'm sort of impressed.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

If you made it through Trial of a Time Lord for any reason other than stubbornness then I'm sort of impressed.
Eh, it was one of those things where I expected the finale to make sense of everything I'd been subjected to and reward me for having stuck with it. Fans of Lost probably feel my pain.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Trial is, aside from the understandable mess of The Ultimate Foe, shockingly mediocre at worst.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dabir posted:

If you're getting sad about season nine, you could always go back and watch Nine's season. It holds up a lot better when you have... this... to compare it to.

Uh huh uh huh *slowly backs away* Good idea, dabir, i'll go do that *opens the door behind me and slowly closes it, continues talking through the wall* Sounds like an interesting juxtaposition, maybe I was just too harsh on Series One the first time *starts pouring gasoline on the outside of the door* I'll get cracking on re-reviews, buddy *lights door on fire*

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey now you're the one who brought up re-reviews. Just watch it for your own enjoyment!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"enjoyment" and "Series One" are antonyms, though...

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Toxxupation posted:

C'mon, that's a bit harsh. There are at least three decent episode in series one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Toxxupation posted:

Series 1, like the one with Eccleston? That's one of the stronger seasons of the revival...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Uh huh uh huh *slowly backs away* Good idea, dabir, i'll go do that *opens the door behind me and slowly closes it, continues talking through the wall* Sounds like an interesting juxtaposition, maybe I was just too harsh on Series One the first time *starts pouring gasoline on the outside of the door* I'll get cracking on re-reviews, buddy *lights door on fire*

Yeah, it is a great idea!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Trial is, aside from the understandable mess of The Ultimate Foe, shockingly mediocre at worst.

Ok, fine, I'm being a little harsh, but I maintain that Vervoids is unwatchable dreck.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoy all of Trial, but a lot of that is because of how dumb it is.

Series one has Father's Day, which is great.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Ok, fine, I'm being a little harsh, but I maintain that Vervoids is unwatchable dreck.
Really? That was the only one I remember enjoying. Well, I take that back. Mysterious Planet was OK, I guess.

Mindwarp on the other hand... that one was so awful I've only watched it twice, and the second time was because my partner had never seen it. If it weren't for BRIAN BLESSED's scenery-chewing performance, I'd have probably let her watch it by herself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Picklepuss posted:

Really? That was the only one I remember enjoying. Well, I take that back. Mysterious Planet was OK, I guess.

You're allowed to have different opinions on things

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:confused:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
My friend just text me to tell me he's 99% sure he just walked past Paul McGann in a Sainsburys. He says, I quote, 'my legs feel like jelly'.

I'm not saying we're going to kidnap him or anything, but do you...do you think it'd be alright to kiss Paul?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Barry Foster posted:

My friend just text me to tell me he's 99% sure he just walked past Paul McGann in a Sainsburys. He says, I quote, 'my legs feel like jelly'.

I'm not saying we're going to kidnap him or anything, but do you...do you think it'd be alright to kiss Paul?

No.

No, it would be absolutely wrong to kiss Paul.

What are we in this thread, fanboys and fangirls?

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Snog away, my friend. Snog away.

Just brush your teeth first.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barry Foster posted:

It's always alright.

Turn out the lights.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

And More posted:

C'mon, that's a bit harsh. There are at least three decent episode in series one.

Plus you can get them all on one DVD!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

And More posted:

The End of the World, Empty Child, Doctor Dances, The Unquiet Dead, Dalek and Father's Day are all legit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No yes yes no eh yes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Timby posted:

The End of the World, Empty Child, Doctor Dances, The Unquiet Dead, Dalek and Father's Day are all legit.

Absolutely. Also, parts of Rose, a good amount of the Aliens of London two-parter, The Long Game, parts of Boom Town, and the majority of the ending two parter.

So, yeah. Series One owned, and is only eclipsed by Series Five.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If anything, the pig guy from AoL is now satirical!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I think this disagreement requires a proper rewatch to settle!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

Fil5000 posted:

Picklepuss posted:

Mindwarp on the other hand... that one was so awful I've only watched it twice, and the second time was because my partner had never seen it. If it weren't for BRIAN BLESSED's scenery-chewing performance, I'd have probably let her watch it by herself.

This thread in a previous regeneration posted:

And it seems like a quick restatement of the First Law of Doctor Who Fans is a necessary thing to have here, so. The First Law of Doctor Who fans says: "No substantive discussion group shall be entirely able to agree on the merits of any given story, not even the 'except X, that just plain sucked/rocked' corollary to this law." A great example of this is the four parts of The Trial of a Time Lord; we generally agree that one of them is a misunderstood classic, one is good harmless fun, and the other two are hideous smelly failures that we should never speak of again. What we can't agree on is the question of which story is which...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I wouldn't call Vervoids unwatchable. The Twin Dilemma is unwatchable. Underworld is unwatchable. (So is The Myth Makers, boom boom.) Pip & Jane scripts are ideal fodder for heckling while three sheets to the wind.

(The correct breakdown is that Mysterious Planet is a misunderstood if very minor classic and Mindwarp is entertaining cobblers, if you were wondering.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

But...... but what about our hivemind consensus views on everything!?! :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

You click on the ? by my posts for that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still enjoy season one a lot. A lot of it is probably nostalgia for being 13 and hearing Doctor Who was coming back and getting to watch it as it happened, and also a sort of vicarious nostalgia it evoked for the CBBC kid dramas I liked when I was younger (The Demon Headmaster having been my favourite).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

How can you have been 13 in 2004 and still old enough to remember The Demon Headmaster? I was barely old enough to remember the Demon Headmaster and I'm an entire school older than you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Series 1 rules but it has aged pretty horribly in terms of its visual look, especially since the Moffat era where the show's look improved immensely. It's also very much a show still trying to find its feet (and tone) and the stumbles it has along the way are entirely understandable in a way that series 3 (and arguably 6 & 9) can't get away with.

Hmmm, 3, 6 & 9..... so series 12 will probably be a mess too, and that's gonna be Chibnall's second year which means it'll also maintain his Broadchurch track record of getting everything right in the first year and then loving things up in the second.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jerusalem posted:

it has aged pretty horribly in terms of its visual look

hi this is the doctor who thread come on in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

How can you have been 13 in 2004 and still old enough to remember The Demon Headmaster? I was barely old enough to remember the Demon Headmaster and I'm an entire school older than you.

Final series aired in '98, so 7 years old. Reasonable enough, I remember TV series from when I was seven (eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucky_O%27Hare_and_the_Toad_Wars - well, 8 for that one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry, you'll independently reach the conclusion that the best new series villain is the peg dolls. Just like everyone else!

• Locked thread