Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

trump is dogwhistling at white supremacists and the target audience understands and appreciates it

here's a link with a number of lengthy direct quotes
http://antifascistnews.net/2016/01/21/white-nationalist-american-freedom-party-running-donald-trump-super-pac/

this is how trump approached 'disavowing' the white nationalist robocalls in january:

quote:

BURNETT: Mr. Trump, when you hear that, does that shock you? Do you denounce that?

TRUMP: Nothing in this country shocks me. I would disavow it, but nothing in this country shocks me. People are angry. They’re angry at what’s going on. They’re angry at the border. They’re angry at the crime. They’re angry at people coming in and shooting Kate in the back in California and San Francisco. They’re angry when Jamiel Shaw shot in the face by an illegal immigrant. They’re angry when the woman, the veteran, 65 years old is raped, sodomized, and killed by an illegal immigrant. And, they’re very angry about it, and — by the way, thousands of other cases like that. They’re very angry about it. So, I would disavow that, but I will tell you people are extremely angry.

BURNETT: People are extremely angry, but to be clear, when he says, “We need smart, well-educated white people to assimilate to our culture, vote Trump,” you’re saying you disavow that. You do denounce that?

TRUMP: Well, you just heard me. I said it. [note: he didn't say it. he said he 'would' say it, but... and followed it up by agreeing with the people he would disavow, if only he didn't agree with them] How many times do you want me to say it?

BURNETT: A third would be good.

TRUMP: I said I disavow.

the response, from the people on the robocall he so viciously denounced:

quote:

JOHNSON: Donald Trump’s response when he was asked to address it was just a wonderful response. He disavowed us, but he explained why there is so much anger in America that I couldn’t have asked for a better approach from him.

quote:

[jared taylor]Yes, he was, you know, for days everybody was calling him up, calling up his campaign saying, “What do you think of these horrible people? Denounce them, denounce them.” And he didn’t. You know, he just maintained a dignified silence as he’s capable of doing. And then finally when CNN’s Erin Burnett really forced him to say, “Well, I would disavow it.” But she asked him, “are you shocked by this? Will you denounce this?” “I’m not shocked by anything in America.” I thought that was a great line. He’s so quick on his feet. And then he goes to say, “I would disavow it” but then he goes on to explain why people are so angry. In effect, he’s saying, “Yeah, yeah, if you want me to denounce it I will, but I understand exactly what these guys are saying, they’re furious, and they’re right to be furious.” So if he disavowed us, he did it, I thought, in the nicest possible way.

i don't think any step in this process - the robocalls from the extremists, the dogwhistle-full non-disavowal disavowal, the positive response from the people he was pretending to disavow - has a parallel in the sanders campaign.

the kill-the-gays guys cruz is buddies with might be a fair comparison, and it's probably fair to say cruz is closer to them than trump is to white supremacists

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GrimGypsy posted:

MSNBC just showed a Pennsylvania GE poll for head-to-heads

It had Clinton over Cruz by a couple points, Clinton over Trump by 8 points...and Clinton losing to Kasich by like 13 points.

Haha Kasich's got the hot hand now, and all he had to do was hang around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Maybe Citizens United vs FEC wasn't such a bad thing after all...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

GrimGypsy posted:

It had Clinton over Cruz by a couple points, Clinton over Trump by 8 points...and Clinton losing to Kasich by like 13 points.

i hope you're buckled up

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/baseballcrank/status/710252790724075520

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

GrimGypsy posted:

Keep in mind that unless you are really following politics you have no idea what an unlikable a piece of poo poo Cruz is and how Trump is a misogynistic, lying, thin-skinned racist that is bad at business, all you know about Clinton is the email scandal and Benghazi.

Sometimes it's hard to keep perspective because these days we self-segregate but the vast majority GE has no loving idea about anything about these candidates right now and won't for a few months.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I actually think the Trump vs Hillary GE polling is miles better than it would be if they weren't both well known public figures.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Three Olives posted:

Keep in mind that unless you are really following politics you have no idea what an unlikable a piece of poo poo Cruz is and how Trump is a misogynistic lying, thin-skinned racist that is bad at business, all you know about Clinton is the email scandal and Benghazi.

Sometimes it's hard to keep perspective because these days we self-segregate but the vast majority GE has no loving idea about anything about these candidates right now and won't for a few months.

I would say the electorate actually know a lot about Hillary Clinton, including all of her personal issues, all of the lying, and all the details of her every scandal.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrimGypsy posted:

white """"""""moderate""""""" republicans do really well in head to heads until the actual election then whoopsies everything falls apart like a house of cards

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Keep in mind that unless you are really following politics you have no idea what an unlikable a piece of poo poo Cruz is and how Trump is a misogynistic lying, thin-skinned racist that is bad at business, all you know about Clinton is the email scandal and Benghazi.

You're right about Cruz wrong on Trump, especially if you live in a state, or around a state, that has had a primary.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Trump and Hillary are the only polls if put any stock in at this point. They've been national figures for decades. Asking the people of Pennsylvania about John kasich in March is hilarious though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Torka posted:

How on earth can the American left still think that more scolding and sanctimony is the answer to Trump

It doesn't work on him, it has never worked on him, find another loving strategy

Nate is not the left if that's what you're implying.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GrimGypsy posted:

BTW technically Impeaching a President doesn't remove them from office and I doubt Trump would humbly step down, but it is a dumb thing that will not happen.

Impeachment is a two-step process. The first is for the House to vote about what to impeach the official for, and the second step is for the Senate to vote to remove the official from office. A successful vote in the Senate removes them from office. So both Johnson and Clinton had articles of impeachment passed by the the house, but in both cases the Senate didn't pass the vote to remove by the required 2/3rds majority.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

PA did just recently oust a really lovely GOP governor so maybe they are pining for one who did a somewhat better job next door. There's also a lot of hate for Toomey, which may have some people a little more 'aware' than usual(which means they're occasionally glancing at the news instead of just getting everything via facebook memes).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/boehner-endorses-paul-ryan-for-president-220855

In the same question-and-answer session here, Boehner referred to Ted Cruz as "lucifer." He previously called the Texas senator, who led the failed Republican effort to shut down the government over Obamacare, a “jackass.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/boehner-endorses-paul-ryan-for-president-220855

In the same question-and-answer session here, Boehner referred to Ted Cruz as "lucifer." He previously called the Texas senator, who led the failed Republican effort to shut down the government over Obamacare, a “jackass.”

Lollll

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
It's amazing how much cooler politicians become when they retire

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Trump eats steaks done to hockey pucks and cosplays the Fifth Doctor. gently caress this guy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

More proof we're in the dark comedy universe.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
The left doesn't need to name call or be sanctimonious to defeat trump. They just need to show up and scare him out of showing up because protestors might exercise their right to free speech

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol

"Boehner is also friendly with Trump. The business mogul was in the Capitol when Boehner awarded Jack Nicklaus with the congressional gold medal. Both good golfers, Boehner and Trump have hit the links together on several occasions."

It always comes back to golf.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

zoux posted:

Haha Kasich's got the hot hand now, and all he had to do was hang around.

Kasich is looking pretty hot in Ohio! When's Ohio voting next? I bet he'll kill it!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Montasque posted:

"Boehner is also friendly with Trump. The business mogul was in the Capitol when Boehner awarded Jack Nicklaus with the congressional gold medal. Both good golfers, Boehner and Trump have hit the links together on several occasions."

It always comes back to golf.

See, even Obama's golf sessions are valuable for networking with evil shitheads powerful people.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

I've actually had a soft spot for John Boehner for several years now, on the basis that he's probably the person in America who hates the Republican Party more than any other. Boehner was an old-school corrupt machine pol who just wanted to take some lobbyist bribes, lead the good life, and eventually drink and smoke and tan himself into an early grave. Then he gets the job he wanted his entire career...but his caucus is now 1/3rd freshmen and they are, without exception, crazy assholes. Pretty soon Boehner's good life is under daily attack and the crazy assholes prevent him from enjoying any element of his life. John Boehner ends up in a bizarre position where he prefers to hang out with Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama than with his own caucus. He falls increasingly heavily into his alcoholism. Finally, he sees the Pope and decides "well, that's it for this loving job" and gets out of dodge even if it meant forcing Paul Ryan at gunpoint to take the poo poo job.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

Imagine what Lindsey Graham will transform into

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brannock posted:

Think he'll finally come out of the closet?

(I'm actually half-serious about that, there's no way he's straight)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

If Cruz had a viable #nevertrump movement going then I would expect that most of the reporting today would be about how conservatives are starting to move toward Cruz as their last resort and so on. I haven't seen a single story like that.

How is anyone going to be running a story about Cruzmentum the day after he got shut out in 5 important primaries and had the angry yam triple his delegate lead on him?

Mister Fister posted:

Seems like Kaisich being in the race helps Cruz after his Ohio win? Otherwise wouldn't Trump most likely win with him being out?

It doesn't help Cruz make 1237 going into the convention at all, quite the contrary, Kasich will just poach delegates that Cruz could use. It could tip some three way races in Cruz's favor, but the main effect will be to take delegates off the board from Trump by keeping him from 50% winner take all thresholds in some big states. Naturally it will have the same effect on Cruz. So I'm thinking the main effect is to keep Trump from reaching 1237, although I think Trump could very well do that with or without Kasich in the race at this point. I don't see how Cruz could possibly win the eighty percent or so of remaining delegates he'd need to get 1237 in the states he'd have to do it in. He'd have to have results like Trump had in IL and MO in every single primary pretty much, and the nature of Cruz's support locks him into smaller pockets of support. Trump is the one who has broad support across different congressional districts and states, not Cruz.

Cruz's best case scenario at this point is to overtake Trump in delegates by the convention to have an argument to get the convention nod. I suspect even that is a pipe dream at this point.

In terms of overall vote attracting ability Trump is by far the best candidate in the GOP race, hence his huge lead. Kasich might possibly be a better GE candidate but it remains to be seen what he can do now with a little publicity.

Patter Song posted:

(I am so glad I have documentary evidence going back to loving August in this thread that I saw this whole mess coming when everyone else said Trump will blow over...no one would believe me otherwise that I called this)

Like most, I thought Trump would flame out but Joementum's idea that if Trump came out of Super Tuesday with the delegate lead that he'd probably be the nominee seemed reasonable. Once Trump had won New Hampshire and had giant polling leads in every southern state going into SC, I didn't see how he wasn't going to be the Candidate of the South (and everywhere else as it turns out), and, as I'd mentioned on the forums a few times, I thought it really weird how punditry only talked about how strong Cruz was going to be in the Bible thumping Southern states despite all objective evidence pointing to the Trumpocalypse.

The weird thing with Nate Silver was how he made his rep going strictly off polling numbers and eschewing pundit tea leaf reading. Then in this race he threw all that out the window to chase after all kinds of tea leaves and conventional wisdom that flew in the face of what the numbers were telling all of us.

Now Trump is going to show up in Cleveland with a torch wielding mob for a delegation.

Trump: This is an awfully nice convention you got here. It would be a shame if something were to, you know..

*elbows porcelain elephant off table onto floor where it shatters*

... HAPPEN to it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Brannock posted:

I imagine he'll be very cool. And gay.

Ex-president Obama will be the coolest motherfucker on the planet.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Slate Action posted:

I like that Obama will be around DC for a couple more years after he leaves office because the mere sight of him will drive the crazies into apoplexy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Oh good God, there's going to be so much dirty laundry dished out after next January.:allears:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GrimGypsy posted:

It's a Mercyhurst University poll. The school has been trying to build a reputation for itself in PA and OH politics for a while.

http://www.mercyhurst.edu/sites/def...report_edit.pdf

I don't know enough about polling to make a value assessment of its worth

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GrimGypsy posted:

Kasich is still "generic Rebublican" to most people answering polls. Nonexistent generic candidates always go over better than flesh-and-blood people with pasts and flaws.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

if you want to be this retardedly pedantic she is running on a mild left of center platform. and her being to the left of the average democrat during her time in the senate is something that you can look up with like a 10 second google search.

yes she is not bernie sanders

but she's also not joe biden, who is a centrist in every sense of the word

She should move her platform a few inches back to the right, or it will look very aesthetically unpleasing!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

an openly gay man?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
As much as anyone in PA knows who Kasich is, they know he has PA roots. He still carries that western PA accent, too. It's virtually another home state for him and isn't an indicator of how he'd perform in IA, WI, or any other Midwestern blue state the GOP tries to convince itself is in play every cycle.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

skaboomizzy posted:

As much as anyone in PA knows who Kasich is, they know he has PA roots. He still carries that western PA accent, too. It's virtually another home state for him and isn't an indicator of how he'd perform in IA, WI, or any other Midwestern blue state the GOP tries to convince itself is in play every cycle.

He's also a Steelers fan.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Joementum posted:

He's also a Steelers fan.

What a total piece of poo poo human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Patter Song posted:

Finally, he sees the Pope and decides "well, that's it for this loving job" and gets out of dodge even if it meant forcing Paul Ryan at gunpoint to take the poo poo job.

Paul Ryan seems to have a habit of being guilt tripped into doing the least wanted jobs in D.C.
First he has to be second banana to the least charismatic presidential candidate of our time :mitt:
Then he gets roped into being the House punching bag by the 30 or 40 crazies in the GOP caucus.
Now they can't wait to make them the sacrificial lamb to Hillary in a brokered convention where 40% of republican voters will actively hate his guts for ratfucking their messiah, and the other 60% will be lukewarm towards him at best.

I was really hoping when Boehner resigned that Ryan would tell the party elders "gently caress off, I like being chair of ways and means, find someone else to wrangle your people"

• Locked thread