Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

3.141592653 posted:

Sounds like a plan!
I died at the first boss.

That is the first step of the ladder. It's a long climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 6, 2016
Do the slight heebie-jeebies ever go away?

Also, I have found a screw after defeating gemini but I cannot pick it up. Is that because I have the revenge fly first?

Edit again: Never mind, something blew up and I was able to get it.

3.141592653 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 15, 2016

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

3.141592653 posted:

Do the slight heebie-jeebies ever go away?

lol eventually, it will pass, but you ain't seen nothing yet. Game gets progressively weirder and more unsettling the deeper you go.

Think Legend of Zelda too, and look for walls where it would make sense to drop a bomb. Sometimes hidden rooms have amazing treasures. Or absolute crap. That is the beauty of this game - utter frustration or game breaking easy runs.

Mar 6, 2016
I take it you have to start from the very beginning each time you die/close the game then, huh?
: (

One day I will master this game.
But the revenge fly is so far one of my favorite items. Yes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

3.141592653 posted:

I take it you have to start from the very beginning each time you die/close the game then, huh?

Yep, every time you die you are back at the first level of the basement. As you unlock things ("<whatever> has appeared in the basement") they are added to the pools of items or bosses or whatever. After some practice you will be clowning the bosses who are currently kicking your rear end.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

3.141592653 posted:

Your current game is saved when you exit, but if you die it's back to square one.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Each successful playthrough will bring rewards to use on your next run (except when it doesn't hehe) And yes, replay is the core of this game. Get used to repetition.

Tips: do challenges, some unlock very helpful items. Also play with different characters, many have strengths/weaknesses that you may be able to work with beyond base Isaac.

And I know this is a tall order for a new player, but try to avoid red heart damage if possible. You can get some amazing rewards (or again, awful bullshit) if you can beat bosses without taking any red heart damage on the floor (with a couple special exceptions)

Mar 6, 2016

bucksmash posted:

Each successful playthrough will bring rewards to use on your next run (except when it doesn't hehe) And yes, replay is the core of this game. Get used to repetition.

Tips: do challenges, some unlock very helpful items. Also play with different characters, many have strengths/weaknesses that you may be able to work with beyond base Isaac.

And I know this is a tall order for a new player, but try to avoid red heart damage if possible. You can get some amazing rewards (or again, awful bullshit) if you can beat bosses without taking any red heart damage on the floor (with a couple special exceptions)

I'll definitely have to see what I can do! Thank you!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest issue with BoI is the sheer amount of items that don't really explain what they do at all or even synergies for that matter.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Alteisen posted:

The biggest issue with beauty of BoI is the sheer amount of items that don't really explain what they do at all or even synergies for that matter.

Fixed that for you.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's only a problem because of bad items.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Please explain Brimstone + My Reflection

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

HenryEx posted:

Please explain Brimstone + My Reflection

If you're Azazel, My Reflection almost doubles your beam length.

:smug:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I know.

Now, please explain Brimstone + My Reflection.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

HenryEx posted:

I know.

Now, please explain Brimstone + My Reflection.

Edmund's heart is blackened by hate for all humanity

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Ended a nice 8 win Lost streak by fuckin Mom's Eye hitboxes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just finished an Eden run with pretty low damage. Got to the ??? level and one of the chests had forget me not in it and I rerolled ipecac, wide shot and magic fingers. Thought I'd steamroll the floor but it turns out that giant death touch explosive shots have bigger hit-boxes than they have explosion radius, so I couldn't do any damage at all. Not 1 point.

Thankfully my damage level was off the charts at this point and magic fingers destroyed everything in seconds.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Edmund McMillian posted:

Announcing (teasing) The Legend of Bum-bo!

James Id and i have been working on this secret project for a few months now and we cant hold our tongues any longer!

The Facts:

The Legend of Bum-bo is a turn based puzzle RPG type thingy thats randomly generated.

James Id is programming and handling all the 3d aspects of the art as well as a ton of other thankless work ill take credit for.

im designing, writing and dealing with the 2d art and character design.

once again Matthias and Jon (Ridiculon) will be handling the audio.

but why is this on the isaac blog!? what does this have to do with isaac!? when isaac!? isaac? isaac! why!?

well im sure those questions will be answered in the coming months once we tease a bit more.

follow us on twitter for more cryptic messages.

1MjYBzz #1kjLGx1

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

IMJack posted:

1MjYBzz #1kjLGx1

People on Reddit found that those bits of text lead to a video titled Back in Time and a Wikipedia page for Prequel. So I guess it's a prequel to Binding of Isaac.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
But bumbo is such a bad item in isaac. :(

Same as level 3 meat boy, by the time you get the full bumbo you are far enough in the game that his contact damage isn't relevant. I wouldn't even take bumbo if he started at his max coin level without requiring any coins. He's a troll bomb making GBS threads familiar that's exactly as useless as meat boy with his contact damage.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Legend of Lil Brimstone would have been badass, ya goofed it Ed!!!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Same as level 3 meat boy, by the time you get the full bumbo you are far enough in the game that his contact damage isn't relevant. I wouldn't even take bumbo if he started at his max coin level without requiring any coins. He's a troll bomb making GBS threads familiar that's exactly as useless as meat boy with his contact damage.

Fight me

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Bumbo is a total bro. And he's cute. Don't hate on Bumbo.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Bumbo and meat boy/bandage girl are good items in the sense that if you have a really bad run they can carry you on their own if you're not trying to fight the hush/mega satan but if you have a good run they're not actively detrimental unless you're unlucky with bumbo's bombs.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Sanctum posted:

But... but... Bumbo want coin! :smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bumbo is okay.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Bumbo is better than Meat Boy/Bandage Girl for the simple reason that it wanders around instead of following you. The game's bad AI pathfinding and weird aggro conditions are much less of an issue when your buddy isn't glued to your back. In a room with enemies, Bumbo is basically guaranteed to attack something, which is often more than you can say for Meat Boy.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Bumbo is great, all hail Bumbo

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I like how when you're piecing together the title screen photograph it builds this air of mystery around Isaac's dad by saving his face for last, and then he turns out to be... some guy with a lovely mustache. Like who did you think

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Bumbo hate is wrong. If your luck gets pumped up and something like sackhead or bundle or whatever are thrown in the mix, a single chest can push Bumbo into almost-infinite-item mode.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I guess Mewgenics is gone for good? :(

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anything that shits bombs on 95% of the bosses is alright in my book.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
tbf bumbo did kill me with a bomb on mega satan once but i know he means well so i don't blame him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bumbo is the best bro.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
:love: Bumbo. I can't wait to see gameplay of Legend of Bumbo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pez posted:

I guess Mewgenics is gone for good? :(

Just before he announced LoB, he said he hasn't worked on Mewgenics for quite some time.
https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/712097467081187328

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is there any way to unlock the lost that doesn't take hours of wasted time

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Is there any way to unlock the lost that doesn't take hours of wasted time

They changed the unlock condition ages ago. Just kill yourself in a sacrifice room when you find the missing poster.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah I know but the last time I got a missing poster in the last like 50 hours of play was in the cathedral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Yeah I know but the last time I got a missing poster in the last like 50 hours of play was in the cathedral.

Check your shops for Mom's Box.