Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

24 hours into my corned beef and it's s big puddle. No air though. It's more likely just the big salty solution it was soaked in and not bacterial, right?

Yeah, depending on what temp you do for corned beef you can lose a lot of juice. What's the time/temp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

48 hours @ 140 F

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

48 hours @ 140 F

You'll probably have like 20% weight loss from fluids coming out.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Another one in the 10 hours at 180F column. Costco prepackaged and brined dumped in the seasoning packet, sealed and puddled. Took every ounce of self control to not eat the whole thing when I tasted it last night.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I just pulled it out of the fridge and made myself a sandwich. Delicious. I went with 175f/10 hours, so it's relatively traditional in texture, which is fine with me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're going for traditional texture, what's the benefit of sous vide over the crockpot for corned beef?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Relatively traditional isn't the same thing as "just like I cooked it in a crockpot." It appears that most crock pots run at 190 Fahrenheit or higher on the "low" setting (http://www.chowhound.com/post/cooking-temperatures-slow-cooker-725139). Being able to set 175 or 180 and keep it right there gets something that's similar in texture to traditional corned beef, but moister and more tender. The 3 temps example in the Food Lab piece is a good illustration. http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

I've done 72 hour ribs several times and 100 hour oxtail a couple times. I have not noticed any need for double bagging (other than if the bone has sharp edges)

This is why I double bag. Or if the food was wet and I'm not 100% on the seals on the first bag, I'll sometimes just double bag rather than wiping and adding a second seal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
With all talk about double bagging, moisture and safety I can't tell if this is the sous vide thread or anal sex thread

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Veritek83 posted:

Relatively traditional isn't the same thing as "just like I cooked it in a crockpot." It appears that most crock pots run at 190 Fahrenheit or higher on the "low" setting (http://www.chowhound.com/post/cooking-temperatures-slow-cooker-725139). Being able to set 175 or 180 and keep it right there gets something that's similar in texture to traditional corned beef, but moister and more tender. The 3 temps example in the Food Lab piece is a good illustration. http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Not to mention all the aromatics aren't being released into the air like they would with a crockpot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

With all talk about double bagging, moisture and safety I can't tell if this is the sous vide thread or anal sex thread

BraveUlysses posted:

Not to mention all the aromatics aren't being released into the air

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

esperantinc posted:

I did a pre-brined store bought one over the weekend using 180 for 10 hours and it came out great. :shrug:

Veritek83 posted:

Would you mind elaborating? This woman (http://tastingspoons.com/archives/7896) seems to have had success with 180F/10hr

I wonder if the difference is last time I used one that had papain or some other tenderizer as part of the cure, I'd assume that a long cook below the temp whatever compound it is denatures would exaggerate the effect.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I did a flat cut cheapo corned beef at 180 for 24 hours. It lost a fair amount of water, but made one of the best reubens I've ever had. Corned beef was flaky but not dry and just melted in your mouth.

It just tasted like the corned beef was more concentrated, if that makes any sense.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Just decided to pull the trigger and ordered Anova precision cooker with EU plug. 200 something euros but oh well... I hope it's worth it. Stupid WiFi version still hasnt got EU plug.

Can't wait to cook some steaks!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Barfolemew posted:

Just decided to pull the trigger and ordered Anova precision cooker with EU plug. 200 something euros but oh well... I hope it's worth it. Stupid WiFi version still hasnt got EU plug.

Can't wait to cook some steaks!

It's worth it.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
pork tenderloin
136° 5.5 hours

http://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-recipes/more/pork-with-rosemary-caramel-sauce-recipe

caramel sauce was vile. Possible that it was my own incompetence/bumbling but... Either way I'm not gonna make it again.

I will be doing that same seasoning/rub in advance again, tho, that added a lot to it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If I vizzle a steak the day before and then fridge it, what's the best way to have it ready to go right into the pan the next day as soon as I get home from work?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Put it in the pan.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chemmy posted:

Put it in the pan.

I've tried that before. The inside was still cold and the fat congealed by the time the outside was seared.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AnonSpore posted:

I've tried that before. The inside was still cold and the fat congealed by the time the outside was seared.

Take it out of the fridge for 20+ minutes first.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

You could re-sous vide it at a lower temperature than you cooked at. So if you went to 55C before cook chill go to 54C for a bit to warm it up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

uPen posted:

Take it out of the fridge for 20+ minutes first.

Chemmy posted:

You could re-sous vide it at a lower temperature than you cooked at. So if you went to 55C before cook chill go to 54C for a bit to warm it up.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, I was just hoping there was something I could do with no waiting after coming home after a multiple hour long absence. Oh well, thanks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am going to sous vide asparagus for a work lunch tomorrow. I know I need to do it at around 185 F for 10-12 minutes, but I am not sure how the timing of the event will go. After the asparagus is done cooking, what temperature should I turn it down to stop cooking, but keep everything warm? Also how long can I keep it at that temperature without degrading the quality of the food? Hoping it won't be for too long, but I am just trying to think ahead.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AnonSpore posted:

After searing just pop it in a toaster oven on a raised rack with a digital thermometer probe through the middle. Let it warm up to about 110*F, rest, then eat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just pour some hot water from the tap and pop it in, leave it there while you prepare something else. The hot tap water will be cooled by the steak. Sear just before you plate.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
put it in the microwave for a couple minutes

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Question: I'm making a bunch of pork belly banh mi for a family party. I was planning on cooking the pork at 154 F for ~12 hours. A lot of the marinades for Vietnamese-style pork I've seen use soy sauce, shallots, lime juice, garlic, etc... Will any of those ingredients make problems for a long cook like that if added in the bag? I don't want the soy sauce to turn it into a salty mess and I don't want an acid turning it into mush. I haven't really done a lot of cooking with stuff added to the bag so I'm not really sure how to approach it. After sous vide I'm going to chill it overnight, slice it, and grill it if that matters at all.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Pureed raw garlic in my experience has been pretty raunchy testing in sv. Sliced is OK but strong though.

The lack of browning throws everything off.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

fuckwolf posted:

Question: I'm making a bunch of pork belly banh mi for a family party. I was planning on cooking the pork at 154 F for ~12 hours. A lot of the marinades for Vietnamese-style pork I've seen use soy sauce, shallots, lime juice, garlic, etc... Will any of those ingredients make problems for a long cook like that if added in the bag? I don't want the soy sauce to turn it into a salty mess and I don't want an acid turning it into mush. I haven't really done a lot of cooking with stuff added to the bag so I'm not really sure how to approach it. After sous vide I'm going to chill it overnight, slice it, and grill it if that matters at all.

Use garlic powder instead of garlic if possible, or add the garlic after. Another alternative is to saute the garlic quickly before adding it just to kill the enzymes that would make it overly garlicky. I wouldn't necessarily add lime juice to the bag, but would add it after since the acidity might weird things out. Adding lime juice might still be worth a try as an experiment sometime though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Bit late, but did lamb loin chops for 3 hours at 131 for easter. Paired them with sous vide glazed carrots and roasted red potatoes. Quite good! Lamb was perfectly medium rare and not at all dry.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nice! What does sv do for veggies?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I've used this recipe for sous vide glazed carrots and it turned out great. It does pretty much the same thing for carrots as it does for meats, makes it really easy to cook them to the desired consistency.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

i tried carrots once and it didn't work and its just not worth it generally. veg doesn't need the precise temps you get from sous vide and you need it up high to get them to even be edible so it probably expensive as hell

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

M. Night Skymall posted:

I've used this recipe for sous vide glazed carrots and it turned out great. It does pretty much the same thing for carrots as it does for meats, makes it really easy to cook them to the desired consistency.

That is the recipe I used. I actually cooked them earlier in the day and refrigerated them in the vac bag then heated then up when finishing the lamb.

I was mainly curious how they would turn out and it ended up simplifying the end of meal cooking process while also being tasty. The prep in advance factor was really a bonus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jose posted:

i tried carrots once and it didn't work and its just not worth it generally. veg doesn't need the precise temps you get from sous vide and you need it up high to get them to even be edible so it probably expensive as hell

What? they're easily worth the effort and "high cost" of running the IC for an hour. You can make several batches and they'll last in the fridge for weeks.

Make creme brules after the carrots are done, they're high temp SV cooks as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought the glazed carrots I did were fantastic. Perfect texture and kept their color.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For day to day consumption I generally roast frozen vegetables if I'm not cooking for more than just myself. I haven't thought of ways to replace that with SV vegetables, so you had tips I'd find them useful.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
SV does wonders for a sweet potato pre-cook: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/11/the-best-roasted-sweet-potatoes-thanksgiving-sides-the-food-lab.html
I sliced a couple of sweet potatoes, bagged and puddled them, pulled and put in a roasting pan with butter and roasted off. Fantastic.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I thought the glazed carrots I did were fantastic. Perfect texture and kept their color.

I do heirloom carrots every once and a while (Those packs of yellow, purple, etc) if anything it makes their colour more vibrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Rainbow carrots are actually the opposite of heirloom -- they're just now being created. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just really neat.