Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Backhand posted:

I really don't care about all the cosmetic options, and have never bothered playing Barbie with any of my soldiers outside of the occassional hair style change.

I feel like I have to be playing the game wrong.

You're playing just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Backhand posted:

I really don't care about all the cosmetic options, and have never bothered playing Barbie with any of my soldiers outside of the occassional hair style change.

I feel like I have to be playing the game wrong.

One of the mods I'm using, More Random Backgrounds, has an entry for the soldier being a conspiracy theory blogger and joins XCOM because he thinks the ADVENT forces are invading from Jupiter.

I got this on a Greek dude with the long, curling hair, so when he made Sergeant I switched his attitude to 'twitchy', gave him the 'Earth sleeve' tattoo on one arm (it's the map of stellar jumps to the alien base) and a cigarette to nervously drag on. :haw:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kennel posted:

Beagle finished his campaign with pretty rad shot
http://i.imgur.com/SmCGQui.webm

(not as rad as the Mec punch though)

It felt so weird to see like 3 faceless spawn instead of 6+ on that mission.

Didn't he get flawless too? Can't recall anyone landing a shot at his troops. So many proxy mines the Sectopod went "gently caress this y'all".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there a list of abilities and stuff that's still bugged anywhere? 90 minutes into a game I learn that Demolition is bugged and doesn't work except on cars, and smoke grenades are placebo effect only. I know I can retrain my grenadier and I'm ok with eating the supplies loss on the smoke grenades, but I really don't want to bumble into a huge pile of broken poo poo without knowing it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a list of abilities and stuff that's still bugged anywhere? 90 minutes into a game I learn that Demolition is bugged and doesn't work except on cars

Wait, what

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
:siren: Anarchy DLC is out, restart your steams :siren:

edit: or not I guess?? I just got the patch but the additional options don't seem to be available. What gives.

botany fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 17, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

According to this (and my own extremely limited experience, I know it's limited which is why I'm asking here) Demolition is flat-out incapable of destroying many types of terrain, and even if it can, the game doesn't update your chance to hit on any of your soldiers until either your soldier or the alien moves. It works on cars because cars explode which seems to update the hit chances and such correctly.

I'm trying to avoid having to make any flat-out nonfunctional picks like this in the future.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

botany posted:

:siren: Anarchy DLC is out, restart your steams :siren:

edit: or not I guess?? I just got the patch but the additional options don't seem to be available. What gives.

Looks like they just pushed the compatibility patch out. This is annoying.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

According to this (and my own extremely limited experience, I know it's limited which is why I'm asking here) Demolition is flat-out incapable of destroying many types of terrain, and even if it can, the game doesn't update your chance to hit on any of your soldiers until either your soldier or the alien moves. It works on cars because cars explode which seems to update the hit chances and such correctly.
Demolition definitely destroys non-car objects. It's true the ability clearly has some strangeness to it, but it also has like a 1 in 5 chance to miss which I feel is why so many people write it off.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
alright, another patch, let's see what this one does...?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
out now, looking rad!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeeeeees! Shirtless torso!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Not out for OSX yet. Damnation.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Now to spend the next three days improving my 130+ GI joe pool.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Finally something to match my penis face ranger!

e: penis mask was like 70 mb, this better be 10 times as good

a cow fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 17, 2016

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm trying to avoid having to make any flat-out nonfunctional picks like this in the future.

Looks like this was just fixed with the DLC mini-patch.

Target order based on shot% looks like it was fixed too, thank god.

quote:

-Players will now be able to press “Load Anyways” when loading a save when the mods used are not present

-Fixed the sort order of available targets in shot HUD

-Corrected an issue causing Grenadier’s demolition to fail to update the target’s cover status

-Adds “Zip Mode” description text

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Disappointed there's no new upper face props but the new helmets make up for most of it.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 17, 2016

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cutscenes have way better framerate now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Predator armor actually has some customization options now with the DLC. Admittedly, it's only one new torso and a couple of options for arms and legs, but it's better than nothing.

Disappointed that you apparently can't use the mix and match arm system with tier 3 armor though.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm... mixed about the added stuff, and it's giving me pause before just throwing down for the Reinforcement Pack. On the one hand, new pretty pretty princess bits are great, but I'm also not that interested in post-apocalypse chic in my XCOMs? I don't know.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
wasn't interested until I saw that topless dude

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moola posted:

wasn't interested until I saw that topless dude

I want a mod that lets that always be an option.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's pretty obvious in game though that outside of the Advent City Centers the Earth is definitely post-apoc. The resistance camps look like something out of Mad Max in the spots where they're not on fire and I usually get a wasteland/abandoned vibe off of the non-city maps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kwyndig posted:

It's pretty obvious in game though that outside of the Advent City Centers the Earth is definitely post-apoc. The resistance camps look like something out of Mad Max in the spots where they're not on fire and I usually get a wasteland/abandoned vibe off of the non-city maps.

Yeah, most of the planet either got blown up in terror missions (the cutscene for the first terror mission in EU mentions that DC, Moscow, etc. are being hosed at the same time as the city you go to), or abandoned as people moved to the Advent cities and zones.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The destroyed cities that you can see in the background of some avenger landing sites also shows that the aliens caused a lot of destruction with the invasion.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This is a good dlc.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Nice to see that Jade will be able to go for maximum Hard Gay now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brainamp posted:

This is a good dlc.

Bradford not only went to the backalleys and slums to find people to give guns to, he apparently also made a trip to the local Advent gay bar.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't really pay attention to the DLC rollout. So are the last 2 also cosmetic?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Was just looking through the past weeks Most Popular mods. Apparently there's now Prothean and Asari faces you can put on your soldiers. All I need is Turian and Salarian and I'm ready for playthrough number 2!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Was just looking through the past weeks Most Popular mods. Apparently there's now Prothean and Asari faces you can put on your soldiers. All I need is Turian and Salarian and I'm ready for playthrough number 2!

I know I saw a Shepard voice pack, you could mod psi powers as biotics. Just needs ME-style armor now. :gay:

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
0 Death Legendary Ironman is now completed. That only took me like 4 weeks to pull off. The most fun part was right before the last mission, hitting 4 alien facilities in a row as a 'gently caress you' tour of destruction to the enemy. That last mission was frightening at the end when I realized that I had 2 pods/turn spawning and there was no way in hell I could control them so I swapped to 'Kill avatars as fast as possible'.

I get to Avatar 3 with 1 soldier unconscious thanks to a lucky muton strike and 0 revival protocol, and Avatar is nowhere near my squad. Using psychics I force it to port twice, but it ends up 1 tile short of Shredstorm range...and so I am forced to pass the turn and allow a massive beatdown, which ends with 1 soldier in bleedout.

Then? Grenadier goes Shredstorm -> Rupture, and saves the world. Highly satisfying ending, and 0 lost soldiers achievement pops.

Now, dead mind controlled aliens, on the other hand...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

WarLocke posted:

I know I saw a Shepard voice pack, you could mod psi powers as biotics. Just needs ME-style armor now. :gay:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I was using it on my first playthrough and it looks real good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621112885&searchtext=n7+

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I was using it on my first playthrough and it looks real good.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621112885&searchtext=n7+

:lol: I'm not going to actually do MassCOM, but that dooes look pretty.

Actually a Mass Effect total conversion (you control ground troops while the Reapers are invading or something) could be pretty awesome if done right...

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
The 80s post-apocalypse look they've decided to go with for Anarchy's Children really makes me wish they were giving other genres of retro science fiction a similar treatment. I'd definitely pay $5 for some outfits inspired by Forbidden Planet, the British TV series UFO, XCOM '94's jumpsuits and spandex, the Science Patrol from Ultraman, and similar stuff that influenced the development of the series.

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 17, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tae posted:

I didn't really pay attention to the DLC rollout. So are the last 2 also cosmetic?

Nope.

quote:

ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation. (To be released in Summer 2016)

SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map. (To be released in Summer 2016)

A popular educated guess is that Alien Hunters will involve Vahlen resurfacing and sending you on the special hunting missions. Either that or they're saving her for a hypothetical big expansion pack.

The Easy Rider posted:

XCOM '94's jumpsuits and spandex

Do this Jake! DO THIS. I want to send my rookies out in their baggy gray ghostbuster suits!

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 17, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shen's Last Gift sounds like it's reintroducing XCOM cyborg MECs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A straight up '94 XCOM cosmetic DLC would be great. Jumpsuit Kevlar, those goofy face masks that let your hair out for alloy armor, those lumpy looking power suits, plus weapons too, of course, like a Grenadier with an auto-cannon instead of a minigun and cylindrical Psi-amps instead of that weird claw looking thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kwyndig posted:

A straight up '94 XCOM cosmetic DLC would be great. Jumpsuit Kevlar, those goofy face masks that let your hair out for alloy armor, those lumpy looking power suits, plus weapons too, of course, like a Grenadier with an auto-cannon instead of a minigun and cylindrical Psi-amps instead of that weird claw looking thing.

If anyone from Firaxis or 2K is lurking this thread I would seriously pay my :10bux: for this no questions asked.

Add in some remixes of the original music (like when you jump out of the skyranger) and some other fun lighthearted stuff. It'd be great.