Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Jim Sterling is one of countless fat men with Strong Opinions on video games, which means way too many people care what he thinks. Including weirdos who hate him but have an encyclopedic knowledge of his every review and aside just so they can prove how Objectively Wrong he is every time he's brought up.

e. DmC was fun, cry some more about losing your sexy anime bishie boy and having a fighting system that don't require autism to enjoy.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Does anyone know what I can do with 97 pages of cards? I can't sell them.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Motto posted:

lmao

e: why are fans of NT games always so weird and aggressive

no one understands their plight to enjoy ninja theory's expansive library of poo poo games

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's on sale and I am actually considering it if they really have improved it

I wish media outlets would cover it if so because I distinctly remember all of them saying something to the effect of how the game should be incredibly good while bending over backwards to explain some of the most poorly conceived combat mechanics this side of Banner Saga.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's on sale and I am actually considering it if they really have improved it

Dramatically.

The original campaign/idea behind the game was a score attack style chess game which kind of sucked. You had to get as many people as you could from one end of the map to the other, but could only move/attack twice per turn, got fairly overpowered characters for doing certain challenges, etc etc. It..... kind of worked? But wasn't very fun. The enemy frequently outnumbered you, and the way they envisioned you playing was building up your first core group of units up, only to sacrifice them on the first two bosses to get the two bosses on your side. After that, you steamrolled the rest of the map, but you couldn't explore much because you'd run out of gas/food.

People complained both that the game they made kind of sucked, and that it wasn't more like it's inspirations ( XCOM and the like ), they said they'd take a look at it.

So what they did was the split the game into two modes. Their initial "Blitz/Chess" mode got serious reworks to make it a more score attacky/arcadey thing. Blitz got reworked so both sides could do it, enemy/player teams got reworked, damage levels got changed, etc etc. It now works pretty well as a hard and fast 30 minute style run through the game, trying to see how many people you can get to the other side with limited actions/options. Not exactly my favorite, but it's balanced well enough now that it's no longer about suiciding on the first two bosses to collect them, and more not losing people as much as possible as you go towards the finish line.

They also added in an XCOM mode, where every individual unit on both teams got 2 action points to use per combat encounter, making it more of a move out style thing. I'm not sure how well this works so far, I imagine it could be pretty brutal in some of the later fights when you are facing 10+ guys, since the maps are a bit smaller then XCOM. I did go through it again when they made is 1 action point per person though, and that was pretty fun/worked to the end. They said they added in some additional gameplay tweaks to make this work throughout, so I imagine it will. The campaign here is also a bit more fleshed out, as it features you going cross country into everyone's turf to steal their poo poo/beat them up, rather then just fast tracking it to the final boss/ending.

It's worth $10 at the very least. They've continued to listen and change things dramatically with every patch. It's nothing like it was at release. I'm still not sure it lives up to the ideal everyone originally thought it'd be, but that's only because I haven't played Redux yet. It very well could be.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Can you trade them? Trade them.

Also, what do you mean can't sell? I thought you just have a waiting period if trying to sell them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Why can't you sell them?

Even if you don't have the authenticator they'll still hit the market, there's just a delay.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Can you trade them? Trade them.

Also, what do you mean can't sell? I thought you just have a waiting period if trying to sell them.

What can I trade them for? And - more importantly - who with? And I can't sell them because I've maxed my wallet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

What can I trade them for? And - more importantly - who with? And I can't sell them because I've maxed my wallet.

Buy us goons some games. Problem solved. I'll take Gat out of Hell, thanks.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

owl_pellet posted:

Who is Jim Sterling

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

the most poorly conceived combat mechanics this side of Banner Saga.
That reminds me, did anyone ever mod the Banner Saga to make the battle system less awful? Because I really wanted to like it.

This is a good answer to his question.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 17, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, I guess I can understand why "fat angry white guy who yells and is sarcastic all the time" would be popular for Internet game audiences, but it's kind of sad

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Isn't Jim Sterling the Dualshock 4 boob guy?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, I guess I can understand why "fat angry white guy who yells and is sarcastic all the time" would be popular for Internet game audiences, but it's kind of sad

I used to read destructoid a lot back in the day and Jim Sterling was probably the worst writer they had, obnoxiously unfunny. But he does represent people that identify as "gamer" very well, I'll give him that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Justin_Brett posted:

I took the plunge and bought that Pharoah Rebirth game; it seems quite good so far. Surprised I hadn't heard of it before now.

How would you rate it so far and how does it compare to others in it's class?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Propaganda Hour posted:

No

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Propaganda Hour posted:

that was the dumb kotaku guy (redundant) whose name i cant think of right now and im ok with that

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A really good Paul Bearer cosplayer

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Awesome! posted:

that was the dumb kotaku guy (redundant) whose name i cant think of right now and im ok with that

the notoriously awful ben kuchera

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i thought jared was in prison

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jamfrost posted:

I just found out Necropolis was delayed and that Salt and Sanctuary will be coming to PC. I really want to play the latter.
Yeah apparently Salt and Sanctuary really owns but right now it's in the PS4 exclusive period and no date for the PC release has been given yet.

It's 2D Dark Souls but not in the marketing catchphrase meaning - this time it really is 2D Dark Souls.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I feel bad for the devs cause they get a ton of poo poo and calls of ripoff despite working on this for 3 years apparently. On the other hand, I'm kinda uncomfortable with how similar mechanics and items are, to a plagiarist degree.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
That kind of thinking got us patents for loading screen games and sanity effects. I say ideas are a dime a dozen and if someone successfully iterates on one then more power to them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

I feel bad for the devs cause they get a ton of poo poo and calls of ripoff despite working on this for 3 years apparently. On the other hand, I'm kinda uncomfortable with how similar mechanics and items are, to a plagiarist degree.

I'm sure they were working on it for years but I'm also sure they adapted what they were working on in the wake of Dark Souls popularity. The Lords of the Fallen guys also were like "We know about Dark Souls but we've been working on this for years."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah the game's a fun Castlevania style RPG otherwise. It's not getting in the way of my enjoyment and nothing warranted actually comparing this to plagiarism. Sorry about that.
I guess at worst all this should be is a footnote on originality.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Here is a video with the developers from a year a go, they straight up say that the game is heavily inspired by Dark Souls.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-salt-and-sanctuary/2300-10000/

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Veotax posted:

Here is a video with the developers from a year a go, they straight up say that the game is heavily inspired by Dark Souls.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-ex-salt-and-sanctuary/2300-10000/

On a related note they also did a normal QL just yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAVitoJBig

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 17, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HGH posted:

Yeah, after watching a gameplay video I'm afraid that I have to agree. There have been other games that felt strongly influenced by Dark Souls, but this one really does seem like it's too alike.

I mean it's not like they ripped off art assets or anything but it definitely feels a little too samey. Still, looks fun and none of that would stop me from playing it if I owned a PS4

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Xaris posted:

How would you rate it so far and how does it compare to others in it's class?

As far as Metroidvanias go it seems to be more Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia's style than most other games on Steam: instead of one big map you have seven areas to head to in order, and even in the intro stage there was a lot of stuff I couldn't get to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sleeveless posted:

Jim Sterling is one of countless fat men with Strong Opinions on video games, which means way too many people care what he thinks. Including weirdos who hate him but have an encyclopedic knowledge of his every review and aside just so they can prove how Objectively Wrong he is every time he's brought up.

e. DmC was fun, cry some more about losing your sexy anime bishie boy and having a fighting system that don't require autism to enjoy.

i dont know what you are talking about but you sound like a massive twat so i'm assuming you're wrong about it

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, after watching a gameplay video I'm afraid that I have to agree. There have been other games that felt strongly influenced by Dark Souls, but this one really does seem like it's too alike.

I mean it's not like they ripped off art assets or anything but it definitely feels a little too samey. Still, looks fun and none of that would stop me from playing it if I owned a PS4

Uh, watch later game videos. It's actually more of a metroidvania, since you need to get spells to see the spirit realm/open up invisible blocks, can eventually reverse gravity, get double jumps/air dashes, etc etc.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not a fan of Sterling but I'm not really an anti-fan either. He just seems like one of those guys who spews vitriol and little else and expects people to think it's the next coming of the lord. That said he could be as bad as Kuchera and I'd still be in his corner on this since the digital homicide guys are clearly in the wrong on nearly every level.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not a fan of Sterling but I'm not really an anti-fan either. He just seems like one of those guys who spews vitriol and little else and expects people to think it's the next coming of the lord. That said he could be as bad as Kuchera and I'd still be in his corner on this since the digital homicide guys are clearly in the wrong on nearly every level.

They don't stand a chance anyway, even if they had a real lawyer. Libel and slander are nearly impossible to prove in the US. They might have a case if they were suing him in British court but the burden of proof is insane here.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Begemot posted:

They don't stand a chance anyway, even if they had a real lawyer. Libel and slander are nearly impossible to prove in the US. They might have a case if they were suing him in British court but the burden of proof is insane here.

Well it's not even libel/slander, it's (to borrow a popehatism) butthurtness in the third degree and that's about it. A pro se libel case asking for an egregious award in the US? Probably not going to happen. The only gotcha I see is that apparently Sterling stirred the pot about ECC Games and implied that DH was trying to dodge bad reviews by publishing under that name, and by extension stealing the identity of the existing Polish developer ECC Games. But even that probably won't stick, and probably shouldn't.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wouldn't they also need to defend abusing copyright claims in YouTube to take down his account or the steam cards that demonized him if they want to build a "you can't make fun of us" defense? I hope they can't actually hire even a scummy lawyer and go full indie dev SovCit in trying to convince the entire court they have any sort of case as I need that indie schadenfreude.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

QuarkJets posted:

It's going to show up for PC as well. It's just a timed exclusive for PS4 right now. i say around summer or so is when the PC release hits.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

As far as Metroidvanias go it seems to be more Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia's style than most other games on Steam: instead of one big map you have seven areas to head to in order, and even in the intro stage there was a lot of stuff I couldn't get to.
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse handles it the same way (seven islands too!)

ironically Portrait of Ruin probably is the worst of the games of that style only because the art recycling in that game was loving ridiculous

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

ironically Portrait of Ruin probably is the worst of the games of that style only because the art recycling in that game was loving ridiculous
Nah, Harmony of Dissonance will always be the worst GBA/DS Castlevania by far. Portrait of Ruin was good poo poo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse handles it the same way (seven islands too!)

I knew I wasn't the only one. Out of all Castlevanias, POR was the one I didn't like at all.

Plus the art style was goddamn crap. Ok, it wasn't crap, but when you go from Ayami Kojima's kick rear end art, to some generic rear end anime design, (anime is cool, put down the pitchforks)it sticks out like a sore thumb.

edit: Oh god HOD. And it's horrible rear end music. *shudders*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Well, let's see how this is. Thank you for the bold code.

Trip report: Ghost in the Shell is a decently fun, run-of-the-mill shooter spiced up with some super powers that you can share with your teammates and bogged down by the standard "unlock everything over several years or pay real money to have them now" model (which I understand isn't even in place yet). It's pretty bare bones, but not bad. More features could help give it life but could also throw off the relative balance that exists in its current state.

Overall: Stick with TF2 while you wait for Overwatch/10

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 18, 2016

• Locked thread