Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but they kind of shut it down with his reaction to the gay security guy in the episode with the pickup artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The woman was in the middle of the bed and Lucifer made the Eiffel Tower reference earlier that episode, I think, giving everyone some plausible deniability. Of course Lucifer would go for both though, imo.

They could have done a lot worse with Security guy since the brush off Lucifer gave him was something like, "My dance card is full right now." But yeah, tricky situation, I agree, since if you make him too interested then people might infer you're saying homosexuality is sinful. Though right now he seems to be ignoring it, which is probably worse.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 16, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I still can't believe that I learned what an 'eiffel tower' was from Scream Queens, and Lucifer is the only other place I've seen it mentioned.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think ignoring it is really worse. It might be from a purely ethical standpoint, but it's not from a business/want to keep making the show standpoint.

Look at the loving disaster that is going on with the 100 right now.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Snak posted:

Look at the loving disaster that is going on with the 100 right now.

That show is fine, it's the batshit tumblr brigade acting out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

That show is fine, it's the batshit tumblr brigade acting out.

Of course, but if I was a writer, and I didn't want the batship tumblr brigade to plaster my show all over facebook for being "part of the problem", I would just avoid the issue by not putting it in my show for mainstream audiences. Again, I'm not saying it's ethically right to avoid talking about minority issues, but it's certainly socially and financially safe to do so.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Snak posted:

Of course, but if I was a writer, and I didn't want the batship tumblr brigade to plaster my show all over facebook for being "part of the problem", I would just avoid the issue by not putting it in my show for mainstream audiences. Again, I'm not saying it's ethically right to avoid talking about minority issues, but it's certainly socially and financially safe to do so.

Or you could just ignore the crazy people.

Avoiding the issue (if you wanted to address it to begin with) us, in a sense, caving to the expected response right up-front.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Snak posted:

But no seriously Lucifer and Amenadiel should angry make-out.

stop reading my erotic fanfiction

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Avoiding the issue (if you wanted to address it to begin with) us, in a sense, caving to the expected response right up-front.
You say this as if "anticipating your audience" isn't an aspect of the for-profit entertainment industry.

The Iron Rose posted:

stop reading my erotic fanfiction
I'm just saying, it would add a whole aspect to Amenadiel's feeling of betrayal if there was some emotional tension there.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Snak posted:

You say this as if "anticipating your audience" isn't an aspect of the for-profit entertainment industry.

Yeah, the 'for-profit' bit is the real stickler there.

But let's just let this tangent lie before I start getting all anti-capitalism in here.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

WarLocke posted:

I still can't believe that I learned what an 'eiffel tower' was from Scream Queens, and Lucifer is the only other place I've seen it mentioned.

I learned about the Houdini maneuver from a military briefing, turns out it's considered a form of rape.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I learned about the Houdini maneuver from a military briefing, turns out it's considered a form of rape.

Yeah, it's pretty loving sad that people need that explained to them. But given that they do, it's good that people explain it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Houdini maneuver

Why did I google this :wtc:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's actually not what I thought it was...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I really want them to lean heavier on the actual supernatural stuff, the regular police drama just bores me when Lucifer isn't around to make fun of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

I really want them to lean heavier on the actual supernatural stuff, the regular police drama just bores me when Lucifer isn't around to make fun of it.

Yeah the procedural part is pretty loving bad. Like "I could write this part of the show in my sleep" bad.

Obvious suspect -> alibi -> second suspect is suspicious -> first suspect's alibi falls apart -> it was the first suspect. CASE SOLVE PAT ON THE BACK. :barf:

However, the episode before this last one didn't even have a case of the week and was just revising the previous suspicious cop shooting. So there's a little bit of home that they could transition into doing more episodes like that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snak posted:

Yeah the procedural part is pretty loving bad. Like "I could write this part of the show in my sleep" bad.

Obvious suspect -> alibi -> second suspect is suspicious -> first suspect's alibi falls apart -> it was the first suspect. CASE SOLVE PAT ON THE BACK. :barf:

When I saw that, my thought was "finally, this show is getting into the formula." I thought this episode was the best so far, and the show might actually be OK. They've gotten over that bit at the start of every police procedural where they have to lean on the twist really hard and now they can settle in and just make the show the way it's supposed to be.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
...when you say "that", are you referring to the only part of my post that you didn't quote?

or are you saying that a completely predictable formula every episode is good because it lets them focus on the rest of the show?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snak posted:

...when you say "that", are you referring to the only part of my post that you didn't quote?

or are you saying that a completely predictable formula every episode is good because it lets them focus on the rest of the show?

I like procedurals. I think the bigger story gets in the way of the bits I like. I want the formulaic case of the week, not the rest of it. I hope they don't focus on the big mystery and just keep that as a background thing. Focusing on the bigger stories is what ruins these shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I like procedurals. I think the bigger story gets in the way of the bits I like. I want the formulaic case of the week, not the rest of it. I hope they don't focus on the big mystery and just keep that as a background thing. Focusing on the bigger stories is what ruins these shows.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that so far, the procedural cases are super boring because there's no effort put into making them engaging. They are literally a cut and past formula that is the same every. single. episode. Down to the quips when they arrest people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snak posted:

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that so far, the procedural cases are super boring because there's no effort put into making them engaging. They are literally a cut and past formula that is the same every. single. episode. Down to the quips when they arrest people.

I mean, Lucifer almost talked a guy off a building in this one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But character bits like that will exist completely independent of the case of the week. There's always gonna be a gimmick for one of the suspects. Sometimes they will be suicidal, sometimes they will be a crazy shipper, sometimes they will hold the world high score in 3d Tetris. But the gimmick suspect will never be the guilty one.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Tiggum posted:

Completely disagree. The case of the week crap makes the show utterly pointless unless its just an intro for new viewers to realize that they arent joking and that he is in fact Lucifer. The quicker they get to the real stories the better.

What you want would be like Supernatural still fighting haunted trucks and bug swarms in season 45 or whatever theyre on. There has to be a big story to carry through.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

I like procedurals.

This answers so many questions

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I hate procedurals in general with a passion and still appreciate Lucifer. :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think procedural is kind of a dirty word even though a lot of people would actually like the format.

For example, most of the issues I hear about The Flash are only really solved if you get rid of the overarching story and just have him be "wisecracking Barry saving the day every week".

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I don't mind procedural shows per se - the problem is when a show/episode is ONLY a procedural.

A procedural A plot is fine if you don't want to make a show that's 100% serialized, but you should find a way to make the B plot tie into the overarcing metaplot in some way.

A good example of this is Person of Interest (which is starting up again soon!): The first season is pretty number-of-the-week, but there's some hint or progression for the show's main plot hidden somewhere in virtually every episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There isn't anything wrong with a 100% procedural show, but you can't have ever episode be the same really generic formula. You can't have Law&Order where every case unfolds the same way.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 17, 2016

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

computer parts posted:

I mean, Lucifer almost talked a guy off a building in this one.

He talked a guy off a building in a previous episode, just last time it was off the edge of the building

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

He talked a guy off a building in a previous episode, just last time it was off the edge of the building

See, now he's seen both sides, he knows which one he prefers.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Yep, that's how procedurals work.

Snak posted:

But character bits like that will exist completely independent of the case of the week. There's always gonna be a gimmick for one of the suspects. Sometimes they will be suicidal, sometimes they will be a crazy shipper, sometimes they will hold the world high score in 3d Tetris.
Exactly.

FRINGE posted:

What you want would be like Supernatural still fighting haunted trucks and bug swarms in season 45 or whatever theyre on.
Yes, exactly!

Snak posted:

There isn't anything wrong with a 100% procedural show, but you can't have ever episode be the same really generic formula. You can't have Law&Order where every case unfolds the same way.
Why not? It's a winning formula.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem is there's a million procedurals you can watch already. If you enjoy that stuff great, but the rest of us would like a more supernatural themed show starring the loving devil being a smarmy rear end mother fucker. Give us what we want with Lucifer, and you can continue to enjoy CSI: Ann Arbor or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The problem is there's a million procedurals you can watch already. If you enjoy that stuff great, but the rest of us would like a more supernatural themed show starring the loving devil being a smarmy rear end mother fucker. Give us what we want with Lucifer, and you can continue to enjoy CSI: Ann Arbor or whatever.

You know, I'm not actually in charge of the show. What I want doesn't automatically come to pass. We're just talking in this thread about what we'd like to see from this show and I shared my opinion. :shrug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh sorry, thought you were.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Tell me, Tiggum, what do you desire?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yep, that's how procedurals work.

It's really not.

Have you ever watched M*A*S*H?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snak posted:

It's really not.

Have you ever watched M*A*S*H?

Um, yeah. It was a sitcom, not a procedural. :confused:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. What about CSI? Surely that is a procedural, and yet not all of their cases unfold the exact same way. It has much more variety than Lucifer does so far. Because it's a better show.

And I mean real CSI for like the first 5 seasons, not all the garbage spin-offs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Fair enough. What about CSI? Surely that is a procedural, and yet not all of their cases unfold the exact same way. It has much more variety than Lucifer does so far. Because it's a better show.

And I mean real CSI for like the first 5 seasons, not all the garbage spin-offs.

I remember CSI being fairly formulaic, but it's been ages since I watched any of them (except for about three episodes of CSI Cyber when it started) and mostly preferred CSI Miami anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's actually pretty rare to find a non-serialized genre show. Supernatural used to be one and it's kinda been going back that way the past few seasons, but that's about it.

• Locked thread