Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Overbite posted:

Finally finished Trails in the Sky the first. That's quite the cliffhanger!

Luckily, you don't have to wait multiple years for the resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Some Numbers posted:

Luckily, you don't have to wait multiple years for the resolution.

I'm not going to play part 2 until I finish Cold Steel and Xenoblade X. And Dark Souls 3 and Fire Emblem Fates.

so, multiple years

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Overbite posted:

I'm not going to play part 2 until I finish Cold Steel and Xenoblade X. And Dark Souls 3 and Fire Emblem Fates.

so, multiple years

Part 2 is better than all those games

Well maybe not Dark Souls

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'd play it before CS at least since CS is a sequel in the same world, no sense playing them out of order like that

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Overbite posted:

so, multiple years

Play SC before Cold Steel dummy.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Fine I just bought SC. I was gonna play cold steel first because I already had it and played the first dungeon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i mean do whatever you want, i am just a guy on the internet, but cold steel does spoil some stuff and there's a bunch of references to Sky that i think will come across oddly if you've played FC but not SC compared to if you'd played both or neither.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Cake Attack posted:

i mean do whatever you want, i am just a guy on the internet, but cold steel does spoil some stuff and there's a bunch of references to Sky that i think will come across oddly if you've played FC but not SC compared to if you'd played both or neither.

Nah its cool. I was kind of wary of starting cold steel when I saw Olivier in the opening movie.

I'm mainly worried about it taking me a year to finish SC since it took me so long to finish the first one and that one is half as long.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

eh half as long is an overstatment, it's about two thirds the length. I took 40 hours for FC and 55 for SC (and about 60 for CS)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I spent just under 40 on FC, just under 60 on SC and about 65 on Cold Steel.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just checked and I put in 47 hours for FC. I bought it December 23rd, 2014. Though I did stop playing it for a long time because there was a graphics bug that made it all stuttery and it took xseed months to patch it out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Of course they CAN take much longer if you're like me and are addicted to talking to NPCs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can attest to that, having put in just over 90 hours into TitS SC.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mask of the Sun loving sucks.

Okay, I've been playing the Ys games that aren't readily available by XSEED or are games that have been replaced by remakes. Wanderers of Ys sucked, but it was short and Chester still makes a pretty good foil to Adol. There's a decent enough framework there despite the poor execution and Oath in Felghana made that framework shine. Then I played Dawn of Ys, which was really fun, had awesome music, the villains had a bit more of a role compared to Memories of Celceta and seemed to have more personality than they did in Memories of Celceta and is a fun time all around, even if it did try to add some weird backstory to Dark Fact and the Eldeen race which would end up conflicting with Ys VI down the line. Then I played Mask of the Sun.

First off, why is Adol no longer a silent protagonist? Why does the Mask of the Sun play a bigger role in Dawn of Ys than it does in the titular game? Why do bosses die in like 4 seconds? Why is everything just a bland and uninspired labyrinth? Did it seriously say that the Eldeen raised humans as cattle for some kind of Soylent Green project? Does that mean Feena and Reah's favorite food is deep fried human?

It baffles me that Falcom considered Mask of the Sun to be the canon Ys IV until Memories of Celceta came out, because not only is the story completely stupid but it still manages to conflict with Ys VI by completely omitting any mention of the Clan of Darkness. So I guess Geis and Ernst just came out of nowhere if Dawn of Ys wasn't the canon game that had the Clan of Darkness. It's odd then, that Memories of Celceta seem to take more from Dawn of Ys than it does Mask of the Sun if at the time, Mask was supposedly the more canon game.

I heard Mask of the Sun was bad but I never expected it to be quite this bad or stupid. Now I've got Ys V to look forward to, which I also hear is a bad game. Oh joy.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ys V is worse

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Got my ps3 lionheart edition of cold steel in the mail today. The artbook is full CS2 stuff so that's a fun teaser till I can actually play it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Ys V is worse

From the two or so hours I've put into it since I made that post, I kind of both agree and disagree at the same time. I kind of like it better than Mask of the Sun so far as a game, but man is this game not Ys at all which makes it a terrible Ys game. It feels more like a generic SNES RPG that's way too easy and I'm still not really sure what the point of the alchemy magic system is when poking things with my sword words just as well, especially since every enemy has a huge knock back animation when you hit them.

It's also kind of weird to see Terra as a giant jerk kid trying to swindle Adol out of money and not a tsundere pirate.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Magic also gets disabled against bosses and levelling it up is taking experience away from levelling your actually useful melee combat, it's completely useless.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Magic also gets disabled against bosses and levelling it up is taking experience away from levelling your actually useful melee combat, it's completely useless.

Yeah I noticed that myself. Kind of weird that they did that, the other Ys games didn't. But it's not like magic was useful in Mask of the Sun either so whatever. My opinion of Ys V so far seems to be the same as my first impressions, it's a mediocre and kind of boring ARPG that doesn't feel like Ys at all but it isn't a pain to play through like Mask of the Sun is. At least Ys V has something which could be called level design instead of the endless samey corridors that comprise of Mask of the Sun's dungeons and overworld.

Edit: Wow, okay. This is quite the story shift. The plot started off like Ys enough even if nothing else felt like Ys. Go and collect powerful alchemical crystals and find out the history of the lost city of Kefin. Now that I'm actually in Kefin, the plot has suddenly turned from Ys into a different JRPG where the villains are an evil Empire ruling the city with an iron fist and I'm forced to go around the sewers to access parts of the city and rebel against the current regime.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 19, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Finally in SC's finale.
OMG I love that josette joins you! But don't tell me anything about how that goes :)

Very excited to be in the final stretch.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

All I'll say is that when you get to the big tower, make sure to go back to the ship and talk to everyone.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The Doomhammer posted:

All I'll say is that when you get to the big tower, make sure to go back to the ship and talk to everyone.

Word.

Also approximately how much is left time-wise? I literally just did the fight I spoilered.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Hmm not sure, I never really timed how long the last chapter took me. But then I usually grinded everyone on shining pom's to keep everyone level. A few hours maybe?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well I finished Ys V. It's simultaneously the worst Ys game I've played yet also more fun than Mask of the Sun. The game doesn't feel like Ys at all in mechanics, story, or even setting really. What is there on its own merit is a thoroughly mediocre ARPG with a weird experience system, a completely worthless magic system and a complete lack of challenge from enemies or even bosses. I didn't need to use a single heal potion during the entire game despite acquiring lots of them, whereas in every other Ys game having access to a herb as a backup item is pretty essential.

It's still a better game than Mask of the Sun just simply due to the level design being better and the plot being kind of generic and unremarkable instead of offensively stupid but Mask of the Sun at least felt like Ys.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Word.

Also approximately how much is left time-wise? I literally just did the fight I spoilered.

More or less ten hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Word.

a few more hours, maybe five at the longest.

punk rebel ecks posted:

More or less ten hours.

this man is insane

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Colonel posted:

this man is insane

I explored a lot.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Welp, just finally finished Cold Steel. Some wrap-up observations:

1) gently caress your cryptic bullshit, Emma.
2) That is not a "wind orchestra." That is a top-heavy piano quartet, and the only member of it who has correctly identified a wind instrument cannot consistently blow into the right end of it.
3) gently caress your honest-to-God talking mahou shoujo Plot Cat, Emma.
4) Goddammit, Falcom, half the characters in TitS FC pushing hardcore for Estelle/Joshua was on the border of Creepytown, but Elise is running for mayor. She's creepy, Falcom. She's running for mayor of Creepytown.
4a) Alfin is running her electoral campaign.
4b) I blame Olivier's influence.
5) Congratulations, Emma, you made it through an entire Trails game with less characterization than every other member of the main cast, most secondary characters, many generic-model NPCs, and a handful who didn't even get names. Your capacity to withhold important information and actively dodge character development is impressive! Your prize is gently caress you.
6) Called it: Sharon
7) Mostly called it: Misty
8) Did not call it: Comrade C, Jesus
9) Unexpected: Suddenly, Xenogears! I'm not sure whether I hope or fear that CS2 involves someone piloting a giant animatronic Mishy
10) gently caress you, Emma.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wonderslug posted:

3) gently caress your honest-to-God talking mahou shoujo Plot Cat, Emma.

I'm still hopeful that the next two games won't give Celine some kind of human form and/or romance subplot, but it's kind of a forlorn hope

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Really Pants posted:

I'm still hopeful that the next two games won't give Celine some kind of human form and/or romance subplot, but it's kind of a forlorn hope

She's a familiar, not a shapeshifter, no human form.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Wonderslug posted:

Welp, just finally finished Cold Steel. Some wrap-up observations:

6) Called it: Sharon
7) Mostly called it: Misty
8) Did not call it: Comrade C, Jesus
9) Unexpected: Suddenly, Xenogears! I'm not sure whether I hope or fear that CS2 involves someone piloting a giant animatronic Mishy
10) gently caress you, Emma.

On points, 6,7,8. I personally did not called it per se, but secret identities seemed to be a motif in Trails so I was expecting some sort betrayal like what happened in FC/SC. The only one that I saw coming was Sharon because Sara kept making allusions to her secret identity almost everytime they met and she doesn't come across as genuine to me. And yeah, Emma dropped the ball, if she listened to the radio once in a while she would've recognized Misty's real identity, right?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

davidHalestorm posted:

And yeah, Emma dropped the ball, if she listened to the radio once in a while

She dropped so many balls, but I can't actually blame her for not tuning in to a specific weekly show on a radio she doesn't have...though had she spent the last half of the game doing anything other than hiding poo poo and Bowdlerizing slash fics she might have learned the relevant information by, I don't know, talking to all the people who do.

...but that did remind me I kept a save right before the Heimdallr bike trip. She avoids meeting Misty, but only because she realizes what's up from Rean's description of the Plot Bird and goes haring off after it. And still brushes it off and says nothing. Emma is the worst.

I did not expect to dislike anyone more than Millium (who I very, very, very slightly warmed to at the end), but somehow she managed to win that race to the bottom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emma owns. She spends half the game making fun of bullshit secretly and while her secret-keeping is annoying it is miles better than anything involving Alisa and her stupid-rear end secret because Emma seems to have actual reasons to keep secrets instead of Alisa's stupid-rear end family issues.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I would have family issues if my family were Alisas

My grandfather moderates reddit and my mother is the military - industrial complex

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

I would have family issues if my family were Alisas

My grandfather moderates reddit and my mother is the military - industrial complex

I can't blame her for having family issues but I find the way they were revealed really boring and I actually don't enjoy dealing with Creepy Grandpa or Stoic Mom. Plus it comes after the tedious boob-falling thing and otherwise she's unmemorable-as-hell despite the game pushing hard for her to be Rean's waifu.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Emma is good.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Alisa's kind of dull especially at the start, her intro is a tedious cliche, and her grandpa is Goddammit Japan personified, but I'll still take her over ~* mysterious magical glasses girl so demure so moe and let us never forget to also mention her boobs *~

If she gets a transformation sequence in CS2 I may die of exasperation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wonderslug posted:

Alisa's kind of dull especially at the start, her intro is a tedious cliche, and her grandpa is Goddammit Japan personified, but I'll still take her over ~* mysterious magical glasses girl so demure so moe and let us never forget to also mention her boobs *~

If she gets a transformation sequence in CS2 I may die of exasperation.

Emma is like the opposite of demure, she makes snarky comments and gets annoyed or frustrated easily. Half of why she's fun is that she is one of the few people reacting when the other characters start having one of their plot fits.

Honestly that's probably why I don't mind her much, she's usually the person Rean is bouncing off of when Matthias and Jusus or whoever start having a fit. Fie and Laura are too... Fie and Laura to fill that role well, Ron Weasly is kind of forgettable, Alisa is Alisa and Gaius isn't around much and doesn't quite have the same responses because his chill levels are threateningly high.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 22, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The boob thing is entirely justified by Falcom Gakuen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

http://i.imgur.com/HhnSJ2s.webm