Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

But then would it be better to take a photo of bedridden-Chloe too to show Chloe how bad things wound up if her dad was still around.

Or is this just all in Max's head? A sort of cautionary tale on the power of her powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure taking photos through the dimension warp might be difficult considering Max's/Rachael's clothes weren't brought through when we jumped the first time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If we're not gonna shoot Frank (even knowing there are no bullets in the gun) then we can't kill our friend, even knowing it's an alternate reality.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TwoPair posted:

If we're not gonna shoot Frank (even knowing there are no bullets in the gun) then we can't kill our friend, even knowing it's an alternate reality.

I feel the same way, the thread's not willing to hurt the feelings of the guy who threatened to stab Chloe, but we ARE willing to break up Chloe's family and kill her.

I'm all for assisted suicide in situations like this, but that should be done by a doctor at the behest of her family, not by some teenager who just showed up after disappearing for years :colbert:

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

namesake posted:

I think a good question would be what if Max took something like a photo of Chloe and her dad (in Paris or something) from this reality and then went back to the original course of events and then gave Chloe the photo. Considering how physical objects move with Max when she does alter time it should be possible, but would it be a good thing to do? She isn't burdening anyone in this reality with the choice of who lives or dies but she's already told blue-haired Chloe about her powers so would letting her have a memento from the other side really be out of line? Chloe would probably (definitely) freak out but I wonder if she'd just treasure the picture or insist that Max change history again?

Max can't carry objects with her when "Quantum Leaping" into photos - she literally just takes over that body at that point, and then leaps back into the new "present" version of her when she's finished meddling with the past.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Waffleman_ posted:

This isn't Zero Escape! We're dealing with a different concept than Shrodinger!

Shroedinger's TP, you never know whether the toilet paper is over or under until you open the bathroom door and observe it.

The big plot twist is that there never was any TP in that bathroom to begin with.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ometeotl posted:

Shroedinger's TP, you never know whether the toilet paper is over or under until you open the bathroom door and observe it.

The big plot twist is that there never was any TP in that bathroom to begin with.

Ah yes, I've seen the Neil DeGrasse Tyson episode on it.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Danaru posted:

I feel the same way, the thread's not willing to hurt the feelings of the guy who threatened to stab Chloe, but we ARE willing to break up Chloe's family and kill her.

I'm all for assisted suicide in situations like this, but that should be done by a doctor at the behest of her family, not by some teenager who just showed up after disappearing for years :colbert:

Actually Chloes family should have no say in the matter.
I voted for ending Chloes suffering.

About AlternateMax being punished for it (IF we ever leave this timeline):
I don't think the game has told/implied that there are multiple parallel universes (or timelines): we didn't "take over" AlternateMax' body. The Max we know travelled through time, changed the past and then travelled back to the present. By using a Polaroid instead of her body as a Time Machine, her body/clothes also changed (like her surroundings).
The timeline didn't diverge/split when Wiliam took the bus it changed.
The game seems to mostly run on "Back to the Future" not "Quantum Leap" rules

If there are multiple Universes we abandoned PrimeMax' body in her dormroom and it is literally braindead.

edit: english language hard

Dr Sun Try fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 18, 2016

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Surprise Pizza posted:

Max can't carry objects with her when "Quantum Leaping" into photos - she literally just takes over that body at that point, and then leaps back into the new "present" version of her when she's finished meddling with the past.

Ah that's a good point, there does seem to be a distinction between her rewind which maintains her current location and possessions (so from an outside observers point of view she can teleport herself and other things) and whatever she did with the photo which allows her to Leap into the past with no intervening travel and then return to this altered reality (which only she notices is different).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Sun Try posted:

Actually Chloes family should have no say in the matter.
I voted for ending Chloes suffering.

About AlternateMax being punished for it (IF we ever leave this timeline):
I don't think the game has told/implied that there are multiple parallel universes (or timelines): we didn't "take over" AlternateMax' body. The Max we know travelled through time, changed the past and then travelled back to the present. By using a Polaroid instead of her body as a Time Machine, her body/clothes also changed (like her surroundings).
The timeline didn't diverge/split when Wiliam took the bus it changed.
The game seems to mostly run on "Back to the Future" not "Quantum Leap" rules

If there are multiple Universes we abandoned PrimeMax' body in her dormroom and it is literally braindead.

edit: english language hard

Even if you say that William and Joyce shouldn't have a say in the matter as they're too close (which is fair), they should at least be informed. It's a monumentally big decision and ultimately I think it's kind of hosed up for Chloe to stick the burden of ending a life on Max after a whopping one day of hanging out/catching up.

Ultimately I'd just feel bad if we brought William back from the dead only to kill his daughter.... then kill him again (because that's totally where this is heading, right?)

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?
After finishing this game recently, I've really been enjoying these videos! You've been doing a great job of showing off all of the important things while keeping the gameplay moving at a comfortable pace.

Anyway, I was feeling inspired, so I wanted to share some doodles of my three favorite characters in the LP so far.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

TwoPair posted:

Even if you say that William and Joyce shouldn't have a say in the matter as they're too close (which is fair), they should at least be informed.

That has nothing to do with "being too close". This is Chloes choice. End of story. (William and Joyce seem very well informed, btw)
Asking Max to do it is really incredibly monumentally hosed up, I agree. But I don't think this AlternateChloe would ask Max if she wasn't incredibly desperate.
Her doctors and parents are keeping medical details from her. This is really hosed up behaviour and Chloe obviously knows it's happening.

That said:
I don't believe that Max would be in any legal trouble (murder/manslaughter); that just doesn't seem where this game is going. So we really have to decide what memory Max is willing to live with.

I also would not judge anyone in the real world facing such a decision considering the possible ramifications. (just saying that, because assisted suicide is a very charged topic)

Two houses, both alike in lack of TP...

Dr Sun Try fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 19, 2016

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello good morning! It's Monday so I've brought you a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:In today's video we change reality yet again and hope for the best.:siren:

Please take note that accepting Chloe's request won last week, so the opening scene of this video might be really hard to watch. :(

Today's deluge of journal pages:

The song in today's update is Amanda Palmer - In My Mind [lyrics]

I actually really love that this game has an Amanda Palmer song in it, since I used to listen to her music when I was a little punk girl in high school too. :3:

Sir_Phobos posted:

After finishing this game recently, I've really been enjoying these videos! You've been doing a great job of showing off all of the important things while keeping the gameplay moving at a comfortable pace.

Anyway, I was feeling inspired, so I wanted to share some doodles of my three favorite characters in the LP so far.

Thank you!! I like your drawings of max and chloe so much I won't even send this to the toilet paper shame corner of the fanart section!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Well the whole alternate dimension vignette seems a bit weird now that we're just back to it.

I'm glad we're, back, though. Dunking on Warren is now more important than ever.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Oh my god, that loving mustard. Kate is into some kinky poo poo.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Poor David, he looks so depressed and defeated.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

Poor David, he looks so depressed and defeated.

Good.

No sympathy for rear end in a top hat stepdads. :colbert:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Awww the bunny's name is Alice? :swoon:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Krysmphoenix posted:

Awww the bunny's name is Alice? :swoon:

It's amazingly appropriate, no?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I only just caught up, so maybe this was discussed, but I feel like a sudden unexpected eclipse would be like world ending terror. So it kind of jumps the gun being the second anomaly. Snow out of nowhere, freaky but possible, whales beaching themselves, scary but does happen.

The moon altering it's well studied and known course to stream across the sun? That'd be like pushing a glass off a table and having it fall upward. If an eclipse happens without warning, I'd not even get into a bunker, because anything that can do THAT is unstoppable by anything human scale. Would have maybe been better to fit that the day before the end of this crappy town.

I'm reminded of Uzumaki where all this strange stuff goes down in a small town and everyone is just ignoring how bad it is and that really if everyone just left it'd have been the best answer to every problem that's happening.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
The scene with Kate is really nice and its a good bit of encouragement for playing through the game as a decent human being. Kate seems to be getting better, Chloe genuinely apologies for being unreasonable earlier and even Victoria and Principal Wells come off well.

Max's bedside manner has improved in this dimension. Saying that "i'll see you sooner than you think" to someone who is in the process of dying is an extremely dark thing to say when they don't know that you're a time traveler.

Also does Warren seem like he's gotten like more of a creeper as the game has gone on? I wonder if this always happens with the character or if this is something that only happens when you blow him off in favor of Chloe.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Captian Nuke posted:

The scene with Kate is really nice and its a good bit of encouragement for playing through the game as a decent human being. Kate seems to be getting better, Chloe genuinely apologies for being unreasonable earlier and even Victoria and Principal Wells come off well.

Max's bedside manner has improved in this dimension. Saying that "i'll see you sooner than you think" to someone who is in the process of dying is an extremely dark thing to say when they don't know that you're a time traveler.

Also does Warren seem like he's gotten like more of a creeper as the game has gone on? I wonder if this always happens with the character or if this is something that only happens when you blow him off in favor of Chloe.

Warren has always been a creeper, it's just more exposure to creep makes your reactions to creep much more acute.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

JossiRossi posted:

I only just caught up, so maybe this was discussed, but I feel like a sudden unexpected eclipse would be like world ending terror. So it kind of jumps the gun being the second anomaly. Snow out of nowhere, freaky but possible, whales beaching themselves, scary but does happen.

The moon altering it's well studied and known course to stream across the sun? That'd be like pushing a glass off a table and having it fall upward. If an eclipse happens without warning, I'd not even get into a bunker, because anything that can do THAT is unstoppable by anything human scale. Would have maybe been better to fit that the day before the end of this crappy town.

I'm reminded of Uzumaki where all this strange stuff goes down in a small town and everyone is just ignoring how bad it is and that really if everyone just left it'd have been the best answer to every problem that's happening.

I've been thinking this same thing since it happened but never posted about it. The goddamn moon is in the wrong spot and it gets all the news coverage that a reported Bigfoot sighting would.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captian Nuke posted:

Warren seems like a creeper, but at the same time I can't help but feel kind of bad for him. I mean he's doing his damndest to try to be cool (and fail) and take Max to a movie like an actual date, it's just that he made the mistake and fell for Max Caulfield, the most oblivious girl in the world, who still hasn't caught on that he likes her, even though every other character seemingly has.

Ometeotl posted:

I've been thinking this same thing since it happened but never posted about it. The goddamn moon is in the wrong spot and it gets all the news coverage that a reported Bigfoot sighting would.

It gets plenty of news coverage on the two TV screens in the whole town! It just turns out that all of Arcadia Bay's residents don't freak out and/or give a poo poo.

So is there anything in place of the hospital scene if Kate dies or does the game go straight from Chloe's house to tracking down Nathan?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 22, 2016

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
She knows and she isn't interested

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
If Kate dies it goes directly to Chloe's house.

Warren is such a goon but he means well.

I'm not sure hunting down Nathan is such a good idea. He has a gun and is unstable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Jenner posted:

He has a gun and is unstable.

good thing we also have an unstable person with a gun on our side !!

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
how many people are actually "stable" in this universe anyways

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

KasaiAisu posted:

how many people are actually "stable" in this universe anyways

Joyce and um... Prinicipal Wells is pretty stably a dick.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I actually love the fact that we have one irregular snowstorm, which is a bit weird, and an unscheduled solar eclipse which is just impossible to happen. And yet the news and even your mom talk about "strange weather" in Arcadia Bay. The weather reports in Life is Strange must be a lot of fun, "In the afternoon there is a high chance of rain and there may or may be not an eclipse happening, who knows what that prankster moon is up to now."

e: The GPS coordinates from David's surveillance point all to the general area of Tillamook Bay, Oregon, USA. So I'd guess that it served as inspiration for the locations in Arcadia Bay.

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 22, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Junkozeyne posted:

e: The GPS coordinates from David's surveillance point all to the general area of Tillamook Bay, Oregon, USA. So I'd guess that it served as inspiration for the locations in Arcadia Bay.

Those GPS coordinates likely mean that David planted trackers on the cars right?
Dude is loving NUTS.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

"The Bloch Hotel" is a cute reference I never noticed before- Robert Bloch was the author of Psycho. Probably doesn't bode well for David.

Also that whole scene with Kate is the best. Makes up for the start of the video.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really feel for Warren, but that's my creepy nerd childhood memories creeping (er) up on me.

Anyhow, Robert Bloch - apart from writing the already mentioned Psycho - was also a part of the circle of writers around H.P. Lovecraft, who's been referenced before.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 22, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm actually kinda impressed that Warren tried to wrangle in a threesome. It was a 0% shot but it still took some chutzpah to try it.

Warren's alright.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Gotta give Warren props for the long shot.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

kick the nerd

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm never going to get tired of every new Warren text being greeted with a quiet "ugh".

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm never going to get tired of every new Warren text being greeted with a quiet "ugh".

Literally every time I've done that I've debated removing it in editing bc it's a completely instinctive reaction noise and not a sound I'm making on purpose lmao

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

She knows and she isn't interested

No, she totally thinks he's just her best science buddy and is completely oblivious to the fact that Warren wants this whole drive-in thing to be an actual date.

I hope she catches on and dunks that poor nerd so he can get on with his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TwoPair posted:

No, she totally thinks he's just her best science buddy and is completely oblivious to the fact that Warren wants this whole drive-in thing to be an actual date.

I hope she catches on and dunks that poor nerd so he can get on with his life.

Danaru posted:

I'm actually kinda impressed that Warren tried to wrangle in a threesome. It was a 0% shot but it still took some chutzpah to try it.

Warren's alright.

If he'd asked if Brooke can come too, there'd be someone actually interested in an actual date! He's still gotta be dunked though. For his own good.

Never edit out the ughs. The truth must be revealed.

Edit: Also this episode had a lot of great moments.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread