Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
What's the hot cross platform group chat app these days? Slack maybe? That's marketed towards professional environments though. I'm looking for something that will be good for a hobby-based chat with like 100ish people in it for organizing get togethers, doing quick pulse checks, and general chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tots posted:

What's the hot cross platform group chat app these days? Slack maybe? That's marketed towards professional environments though. I'm looking for something that will be good for a hobby-based chat with like 100ish people in it for organizing get togethers, doing quick pulse checks, and general chat.

Telegram. The default theme is very sterile, but it's easily customizable without being a garbage app like Viber. GIF support, custom sticker support, as well as all the other stuff that's become more standard. I've admittedly only used the Android app, though I'm sure the other platform apps are great as well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tots posted:

Never mind

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tots posted:

Discord is pretty good, but I'll admit I don't use it on Android very much.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tots posted:

Seconding Telegram. It'll cover everything you need really well.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I ended up going with slack after trying out the other ones, because it offered the most intuitive way (for me at least) to setup multiple channels in a single chat space. Now I just need to figure out how to automate invitations by handing out nothing other than a url.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tots posted:

setup multiple channels in a single chat space. Now I just need to figure out how to automate invitations by handing out nothing other than a url.

Ooh, should've gone with discord.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
I'm an avid PocketCasts user. I have 51 podcasts that I typically follow. I often like to discuss specific topics with coworkers, but sometimes I want to refer back to an episode that I listened to in the past, whether it be for clarification or recommendation.

Often times, I go back and pull older episodes and listen to those as well.

I haven't seen any functionality in PocketCasts that will show a historical list of what I have listened to. When I'm trying to refer back to an episode of a podcast that is a year old, it's nearly impossible to find again within a few seconds during the discussion. It's extremely annoying.

Are there any other apps that provide this functionality?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

Ooh, should've gone with discord.

It's not too late to switch over and I haven't tried discord yet. Will check it out. Any specific advantages over Slack that you like?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tots posted:

It's not too late to switch over and I haven't tried discord yet. Will check it out. Any specific advantages over Slack that you like?

Very easy to just give a blanket url to everyone to join. Much easier to use layout in my experience. And voice chat, if you like.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

Discord is pretty good, but I'll admit I don't use it on Android very much.

Tots posted:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I ended up going with slack after trying out the other ones,

Tots posted:

YOU GODDAMNED LIAR

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:(

I tried GroupMe and Telegram, I swear!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What processes need to be enabled to get samsung pay to not crash?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's a weird question. What are you doing to that phone...

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Disabling most of the Samsung poo poo that came with it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zotix posted:

Disabling most of the Samsung poo poo that came with it.

Sounds like you answered your own question

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Right. And I'm trying to find the specific processes that I need so I can keep the rest disabled.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you don't want the Samsung poo poo, you shouldn't have bought a Samsung.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Why not just use Android Pay at that point?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Superdawg posted:

I'm an avid PocketCasts user. I have 51 podcasts that I typically follow. I often like to discuss specific topics with coworkers, but sometimes I want to refer back to an episode that I listened to in the past, whether it be for clarification or recommendation.

Often times, I go back and pull older episodes and listen to those as well.

I haven't seen any functionality in PocketCasts that will show a historical list of what I have listened to. When I'm trying to refer back to an episode of a podcast that is a year old, it's nearly impossible to find again within a few seconds during the discussion. It's extremely annoying.

Are there any other apps that provide this functionality?t

Are you looking for an app that would extend that functionality to Pocket Casts? If so, I'm afraid I don't know of any. I'm torn on saying "Podcast Addict will do that" since it probably doesn't help you to migrate at this point, but for reference, Podcast Addict does keep a nice searchable listening history.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Whizbang posted:

If you don't want the Samsung poo poo, you shouldn't have bought a Samsung.

Terribad reason to not buy the best phone on the market.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zotix posted:

Terribad reason to not buy the best phone on the market.

"Ugh this salad is the best thing on the menu but there's all this lettuce in it and I am a giant baby who hates lettuce"

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

But this salad has the best display, the best internals, and the best camera on it. Ill take the dressing on the side please.

I asked a simple, to the point question and all I get is a socially awkward neckbeard answer that wasn't relevant. If you have nothing to contribute, move along.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 20, 2016

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Zotix posted:

But this salad has the best display, the best internals, and the best camera on it. Ill take the dressing on the side please.

I asked a simple, to the point question and all I get is a socially awkward neckbeard answer that wasn't relevant. If you have nothing to contribute, move along.

The awkward one here is the guy buying something and turning off all of the features the company gave you, just replace the launcher and leave everything else alone. It is made to have all their services running if you want to use their features, and samsung pay is one of their features.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

TwistedNails posted:

The awkward one here is the guy buying something and turning off all of the features the company gave you, just replace the launcher and leave everything else alone. It is made to have all their services running if you want to use their features, and samsung pay is one of their features.

It's his prerogative to use whatever features he wants on his own device, telling him to not want to do it isn't really helping anyone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Uthor posted:

Why not just use Android Pay at that point?

Because you can use Samsung pay for things besides buying coffee?

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Manky posted:

Are you looking for an app that would extend that functionality to Pocket Casts? If so, I'm afraid I don't know of any. I'm torn on saying "Podcast Addict will do that" since it probably doesn't help you to migrate at this point, but for reference, Podcast Addict does keep a nice searchable listening history.

While it would be nice to stay with pocket casts, I know that's not really something that can be accomplished.

I'm not all that worried about transferring my current subscriptions or anything.

I will take a look at Podcast Addict.

Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone have a working link for a download to all the webOS notification sounds? I used to be able to just Google and download one but looks like they all disappeared.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does anyone have a working link for a download to all the webOS notification sounds? I used to be able to just Google and download one but looks like they all disappeared.

Oh man, I would love these too. It's been years since I've used Zedge, were they on there?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zotix posted:

I generally take non-answers like those to mean "I don't know and have no interest in finding out."

In any case, are the things you're disabling actually causing problems? It's a lot of garbage, but if not it might be easier on you to just not look at the running process list until things are actually misbehaving.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Google loves changing their minds on poo poo lately.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

androo posted:

Google loves changing their minds on poo poo lately.

Lately? Have you heard of a little program called Hangouts?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I mean messenger, I mean hangouts

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

Oh man, I would love these too. It's been years since I've used Zedge, were they on there?

Didn't see the ones I wanted on there. They had the ringtones, but not that SMS/Alert tones and stuff.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

vyst posted:

I mean messenger, I mean hangouts

I'm actually kind of digging Messenger. I've switched from the TouchWiz SMS app for now. There was something about Hangouts that drove me crazy when I tried to use it for SMS, but I can't remember. I think it had to do with how it handled notifications.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

brc64 posted:

I'm actually kind of digging Messenger. I've switched from the TouchWiz SMS app for now. There was something about Hangouts that drove me crazy when I tried to use it for SMS, but I can't remember. I think it had to do with how it handled notifications.

I tried hangouts for SMS about a year and a half ago, and for some reason my phone randomly failed to notify me of new messages. I gave up and went back to the stock SMS app (It was a Motorola Razr M at the time, so nothing crazy) and eventually switched to Google Messenger.

Google Messenger is nice. Real nice, actually. It's dumb, but I like color-coding people/conversations :v:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I tried hangouts for SMS about a year and a half ago, and for some reason my phone randomly failed to notify me of new messages. I gave up and went back to the stock SMS app (It was a Motorola Razr M at the time, so nothing crazy) and eventually switched to Google Messenger.

Google Messenger is nice. Real nice, actually. It's dumb, but I like color-coding people/conversations :v:

I wish they'd do that for hangouts. Really just merge the 2 it'd be great.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Manky posted:

I just took a tour through Podcast Addict, and I don't see any reference to a played podcast history.

To clarify, if I listen to Podcast X episode 400, then Podcast Y episode 20, and finally Podcast X episode 100, then I would like to see a list that reflects that history.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Superdawg posted:

I just took a tour through Podcast Addict, and I don't see any reference to a played podcast history.

To clarify, if I listen to Podcast X episode 400, then Podcast Y episode 20, and finally Podcast X episode 100, then I would like to see a list that reflects that history.

It's on the sidebar/sliding menu, look for Playback History. I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, sorry - go into Settings (there's a button for it from that sliding menu) and go to Sliding Menu and turn it on if it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

Manky posted:

It's on the sidebar/sliding menu, look for Playback History. I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, sorry - go into Settings (there's a button for it from that sliding menu) and go to Sliding Menu and turn it on if it isn't.

Great!

I got lost in the settings before seeing that. I've got it enabled now.

That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!