Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you get approached by French or Americans and you turn them down, will the British eventually come knocking and ask for a foreign trade center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you get approached by French or Americans and you turn them down, will the British eventually come knocking and ask for a foreign trade center?

British will only approach if you are imperial. Edit:
French are for shogunate only, and Americans will make offers to both

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
and don't refuse too many times because eventually they stop asking.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sober posted:

CA kinda has to reach into the lesser known pop history period stuff IMO but then that just turns most people's eyes over in their sockets I'm guessing.

Total War: Hussites would be pretty fuckin' boss.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Napoleon Total War might just have the first historical battles I've actually enjoyed in the series since Rome 1.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

canyoneer posted:

I like the description of the Warrior as a "floating death star". Solo entire fleets err'day

Until the plucky rebels fire a cannonball through a window and hit your magazine.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Napoleon Total War might just have the first historical battles I've actually enjoyed in the series since Rome 1.

Yeah I got it from the Christmas bundle and just played around a little; surprisingly close to Shogun2's greatness so far.
The cute little campaign tutorial blew me away :unsmith:
Definitely a buy if you're ok with being limited to playing Napoleon, Napoleon, Napoleon, Napoleon, Britain Russia or Prussia/Austria.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah I got it from the Christmas bundle and just played around a little; surprisingly close to Shogun2's greatness so far.
The cute little campaign tutorial blew me away :unsmith:
Definitely a buy if you're ok with being limited to playing Napoleon, Napoleon, Napoleon, Napoleon, Britain Russia or Prussia/Austria.

Why even bother with anyone else? It's not called Wellington: Total War, after all :france:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless my game bugged only napoleon has spoken narration which is a shame. It's certainly an improvement on empire total war but they definitely cut some corners with napoleon

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You can use mods to play as anyone else on the map you'd like to, so there's that, though a lot of factions lack complete roosters and are pretty much a joke to play as.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Don Gato posted:

Why even bother with anyone else? It's not called Wellington: Total War, after all :france:

The Peninsular campaign DLC makes up for it though as the British.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The Ottomans are the most obvious cut content faction. They have a ridiculously complex roster that never shows up due to them getting steamrollered by the Russians/Austrians by 1808. I figure CA did the work then realized that putting them on the world map would mean adding at least a dozen provinces that would never be relevant in 90% of campaigns. It's a worthwhile sacrifice for a game as polished as Napoleon.

The AI isn't quite as good as S2, though. Two things that spring to mind: I wound up in a short, bloody war against Russia in my Britain campaign because they conquered northern Italy (:psyduck:), then declared on my Swiss vassals (:psypop:). In the same campaign, I invaded Norway (you have to fight Denmark in the Britain campaign, for reasons that make historical sense but feels forced in game) with two armies, a well rounded main one and a reinforcing stack of infantry to replace losses. An army of Norwegian militia snuck up on my second stack, outnumbering them 3:1 with several artillery units reinforcing. I figured I'd go down swinging, took it to the battle map. Found my starting position next to a village, set up my skirmishers in the buildings and set my line to the chokepoints. Wound up in a ridiculously long (and fun) fight, with the enemy never moving their artillery from the initial reinforcement position and sending waves of militia over to tangle with my crack infantry. If they'd moved their artillery over, I'd have been completely hosed since they could force me out of the buildings and scrambling for lovely cover. But they didn't, and I won.

Pick it up if you can, though, if only because it's the last TW game where you can change your units' names.

This post in memory of Sir John Moore, rampant homosexual felled by a cowardly Danish spy. :scotland:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Exceedingly Lucky.

(considering the man died horribly to cannon ball to the chest, one of the worst phrases to be remembered for now)

If you haven't got over Empire yet and not given Napoleon a try, what the gently caress is wrong with you? Roll the dice.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my Russia campaign, I gave northern Italy to the Brits as a gift, hoping that sharing a border with France would get them back in the fight; they'd peaced out dozens of turns ago, in spite of suffering no defeats or invasions at all.

A few turns later they declared war on me, and lost super loving hard. Prussia also betrayed me out of nowhere, due to expansion diplo penalties, and were completely overrun by my 10-odd stacks across Germany. Oh, it was the best.

On the plus side, the AI in that game was quite good at setting up multi-stack battles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I also really like how the historical battles encourage you to know your history. I was able to beat the Friedland, Waterloo and Austerlitz battles from what I've rad and seen of the battles.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The only problem with Napoleon is the landscape, it's so much more generic than in many other games in the series. A battle map in the desert in Egypt often looks the same as a battle map in northern Italy, same buildings and everything, with a few colors shifted. And unfortunately there's not really any mud in these games which is dumb since units getting stuck in mud is a major factor in many battles throughout history - it can't be that hard to simulate can it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Earwicker posted:

The only problem with Napoleon is the landscape, it's so much more generic than in many other games in the series. A battle map in the desert in Egypt often looks the same as a battle map in northern Italy, same buildings and everything, with a few colors shifted. And unfortunately there's not really any mud in these games which is dumb since units getting stuck in mud is a major factor in many battles throughout history - it can't be that hard to simulate can it?

That is an unfortunate leftover from Empire, randomized battle maps. Granted, most of Europe was cultivated farmland at the time, but it gets frustrating when you have the same flat landscape for every battle without any tactical options. The villages are also horrendous looking.

Shogun 2 had a similar issue which devolved every campaign battle into "identify which of the three preset hills will spawn and occupy it to force the AI to attack."

Thank god they moved back to geographical features for Rome 2 and Attila. I like fighting on the side of mountains.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So who are the brave fools who pre-ordered Warhammer that we'll be relying on in the future?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I hope it goes through another Rome 2 launch so that I can get it super cheap when the emperor edition comes out and its actually good

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Man Whore posted:

I hope it goes through another Rome 2 launch so that I can get it super cheap when the emperor edition comes out and its actually good

I love the Total War and have enjoyed pretty much all of them (even Empire, as disappointing as it was), but I have literally never bought any of the games on release.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

So who are the brave fools who pre-ordered Warhammer that we'll be relying on in the future?

Me, I'm the poor bastard who lacks impulse control when it comes to Warhammer video games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Call me the forlorn hope.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm this year's goat on a chain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Krazyface posted:

I'm this year's goat on a chain.

What's the matter, kid? You never had lamb chops?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Demiurge4 posted:

I picked up Fall of the Samurai and all the DLC on the sale. It's pretty good fun so far but I think I'm not very good at army management, I have large armies of line infantry and artillery that pretty much slaughters anything the AI puts against it, even if they're twice the size of mine. On the other hand my trade routes are constantly being raided by sea and I don't have any boats. I just finished conquering eastern Japan and sided with the Emperor, so now I'm at war with all of Japan and I think maybe I should have held off a little and consolidated.

Any tips for a new player? Should I be increasing combat difficulty to make it a little less ridiculous?

Navies are expensive. They are! You also have to have two, one for each side of the island unless you somehow just hang out on one half of it or something. However, there's one cool trick that the AI doesn't want you to know; if you buy into one of those foreign iron clads you can basically solo it for most of the game. Eventually the AI will research better shells that can actually dent your armor, but as long as you never auto-resolve you can just sail away, maybe even assuming direct control and sniping enemy ships into explosive fireballs.

That said, to memory being on the east side of Japan gives you more inconvenient trade routes, so in some ways you'll have to put up with it and just be retaliatory.

Being at war with nearly all of Japan is Okay, but you basically reached the game's climax-state, so have fun with the wild ride. Given you're on the east side, you'll only need two swole armies on either side of the island going province by province, preferably making vassals so you have people to trade with. Alternatively, you could just cheat and swap allegiances if you get in over your head but the victory conditions are met.

The game's difficulty is high in the beginning and becomes more of a test of endurance later on once you get the proper techs. Combat difficulty won't really help the battles themselves to much, sadly, but that's more a testament of how god drat murderous things are.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

a lot of factions lack complete roosters

Which is ironic since most major figures of the 18th century were, indeed, complete cocks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Man, playing as the ERE is really making me love Attila. My first time around as the Saxons was very successful but rapidly became super boring due to the barbarian hugbox that develops because of everybody being at war with the WRE. The ERE seems to strike a really fun balance: you have a lot of economic potential and other factions don't have quite the hateboner for you that they do for the WRE yet you still have to deal with all the challenges arising from having a big empire. The Sassanids have collapsed into obscurity, mostly due to the White Huns, while I managed to make a surprisingly durable peace with the Huns after some nice victories. For a bit I thought it was going to be smooth sailing but now I'm dealing with waves of barbarian assault coming from the ruins of the WRE.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a mod that changes AI relationships from "likes someone who share common foe" to the personal trait of the leader, which means that the diplomatic map is contantly shifting, making it possible to not only have wars between barbarian factions (!!!!) but also allows you to take opportunities to ally with kings who might respect empires.

it's actually a really game-changer.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's me, I'm the problem with gaming :negative:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DaveCG posted:

It's me, I'm the problem with gaming :negative:

Well, your certainly helping me saving money now. I'm hoping though this time around they've at least learnt to test and get actual feedback about the UI this time around.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mans posted:

there's a mod that changes AI relationships from "likes someone who share common foe" to the personal trait of the leader, which means that the diplomatic map is contantly shifting, making it possible to not only have wars between barbarian factions (!!!!) but also allows you to take opportunities to ally with kings who might respect empires.

That sounds really cool, I'm gonna have to check that out whenever I'm done with this campaign.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Mans posted:

Gonna need a name for this one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Please tell me there's a mod for Shogun 2 that makes the naval maps smaller. I hate having to trawl across the giant blue box for five minutes on triple speed because the single loving enemy boat is camping at the far side. For that matter, is there a mod that stops the enemy from sending single ship fleets against me like an rear end in a top hat?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd settle for a cheat that just lets me click on a stack to destroy it and use it solely for single loving gunboats.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm seriously loving tempted just because I love almost everything Warhammer. :shepspends:

But, I'm not an expert at all things Total War or Warhammer so I'd be unhelpful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Deakul posted:

I'm seriously loving tempted just because I love almost everything Warhammer. :shepspends:

But, I'm not an expert at all things Total War or Warhammer so I'd be unhelpful.

Don't hold back and take the risk if you can afford it and stand a possibly buggy release for fun. All views are pretty good, and I have to say outside these forums the Total War Bitter Vet view of things will always sadly be UGH gently caress THIS ISN'T ROME 1 THIS GAME IS DEAD TO ME *plays 1200 hours of it makes anal realism mods* so hearing somebody new to the whole thing as well as game would be more helpful now.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.humblebundle.com/sega-strategy-bundle

so can i buy that fall of the samurai pack thing and i'm good to go or do i need to buy shogun 2 separatly?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Mans posted:

so can i buy that fall of the samurai pack thing and i'm good to go or do i need to buy shogun 2 separatly?

That bundle will unlock the Shogun 2 "game" aka the main menu plus some multiplayer, and add the Fall campaign (and its little sub-DLCs) as a DLC.

To play the vanilla campaign (middle ages) and Rise (early middle ages) which are also cool but with less gunpowder, you'll need to pop this on your account:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18408/ it goes on 75% sale quite often
Steam gets confused in Segas byzantine web of DLC, so you'd need to buy the vanilla collection as a gift if you wanted to activate it after Fall already put "Shogun 2" into your account.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 25, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mans posted:

Fall Of The Samurai is a stand alone campaign. You'll just have access to the Fall stuff, none of the earlier Shogun 2 antics yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Which is okay because Fall of the Samurai is somehow the greatest Total War game of all time.