Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Akileese posted:

Simmons has Jim Lampley on his podcast. Not sure if it was today or yesterday but as you can imagine, it's pretty drat awesome, especially if you love Jim Lampley.

Did Harold Lederman pop in mid-podcast, yell "OK JIM!" and start scoring his performance?

Because that would only be appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

It's Twitter, who gives a poo poo about anything anybody puts there?
Oh you'd be surprised...

Troy Queef posted:

Did Harold Lederman pop in mid-podcast, yell "OK JIM!" and start scoring his performance?

Because that would only be appropriate.
I imagine Lampley and Lederman have a relationship like a Lord and Servant in the Middle Ages. Lampley goes to bed at night in the canopy and pulls out the sidecar for Lederman. At exactly 7:00 AM every morning, Lederman jumps out of his sleeping box and yells out OK JIM! LEMME TELL YA IT'S TIME TO GET UP! SCORECARD SAYS YOUR DAY'S GONNA BE A 10!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Akileese posted:

Simmons has Jim Lampley on his podcast. Not sure if it was today or yesterday but as you can imagine, it's pretty drat awesome, especially if you love Jim Lampley.

It was awesome

He promised plenty of Larry Merchant stories next time he's on, can't wait

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Akileese posted:

Him trying to downplay the dangers of boxing was something special

You see it's safer because people aren't TRYING to get hit.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Mays is joining The Ringer. He is not my favorite but he at least brings enthusiasm. And his podcast will be vastly better with a non Barnwell partner. Just need Lowe and Serrano to join.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Hand Row posted:

Mays is joining The Ringer. He is not my favorite but he at least brings enthusiasm. And his podcast will be vastly better with a non Barnwell partner. Just need Lowe and Serrano to join.

I actually didn't mind Barnwell on the podcast - it's just that his articles are so boring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lowe isn't gonna leave ESPN.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hand Row posted:

Oh good, I tried listening to the SI podcast they had him on for a bit, but the other host just had an inability to have any kind of natural conversation.

I hope Barnwell joins them though, those two are fantastic together and Barnwell is just wasted on ESPN proper.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

MourningView posted:

Lowe isn't gonna leave ESPN.

I know. It just annoys me I have to use Lowe's twitter to find his articles over navigating that abortion of a site.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Speaking of NBA reporters and ESPN, the other prominent NBA writer at Yahoo is joining them:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/710660288035430404

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

jim lampley dramatically saying 'Sergey Kovalev has already killed a man' with perfect delivery and Simmons reacting 'wait. What!!!' made me laugh out loud

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

jim lampley dramatically saying 'Sergey Kovalev has already killed a man' with perfect delivery and Simmons reacting 'wait. What!!!' made me laugh out loud
I would love a Jim Lampley oral recounting of the Bowe-Golata riot. Not only was he announcing, but his teenage daughter was in the audience that night. I'm impressed he didn't have a legit breakdown on air.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Simmons dropped another interview today with Jay Glazer. It was worth it just to hear Glazer's story about seeing Mike Francesa's cock

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

I would love a Jim Lampley oral recounting of the Bowe-Golata riot. Not only was he announcing, but his teenage daughter was in the audience that night. I'm impressed he didn't have a legit breakdown on air.

He did a Legendary Nights about that fight, which is on YouTube.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hulk Hogan just won the Gawker lawsuit

:rip: Gawker

e: After the appeals are done who gets the Deadspin castoffs

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 18, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Good, gently caress Gawker

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gawker has to put the award in escrow if they appeal lol.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And it's just $115 million for starters

https://twitter.com/annamphillips/status/710963378030833666

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hundred and fifteen million dollars.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

Hundred and fifteen million dollars.

When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Spoeank posted:

the lesson here is never hire AJ Daulerio.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Reminder that they tried to jerk off in everyone's faces about this:

http://gawker.com/a-judge-told-us-to-take-down-our-hulk-hogan-sex-tape-po-481328088

"And Campbell's order requiring us to take down not only a very brief, highly edited video excerpt from a 30-minute Hulk Hogan loving session but also a lengthy written account from someone who had watched the entirety of that loving session, is risible and contemptuous of centuries of First Amendment jurisprudence.

Campbell's grasp on the ramifications of that jurisprudence, such as it is, can be gleaned from a moment in the transcript of yesterday's hearing wherein she seemed to fail to understand the basic First Amendment principle that "speech" includes forms of communication beyond word-sounds coming out of people's mouths."

Better cut it with those $10 words, Gawker. You're gonna need the cash.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
From what I've read over in Wrasslehut this trial has basically been Florida.txt and there's no way it'd survive appeal, but Gawker has to post whatever the award is in escrow and they don't have that cash.

So Hogan wins but won't get paid (that much), Gawker goes out of business, some 30-50 people are now unemployed, and no one learned anything other than that Hulk Hogan doesn't have a ten-inch penis.

:911: Vote Trump and put a gun in your mouth.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Hulk Hogan doesn't have a ten-inch penis.

Actually, Hulk Hogan has an 11-inch penis. Terry Bollea does not.

...No, I am not making that up.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Spoeank posted:

This is a correct and good opinion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So what happens to the sites that Gawker owns? If any of them have value could they be sold to someone else? Could the gamergate dudes pool some money together and buy Kotaku?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 19, 2016

midwat
May 6, 2007

Toilet Mouth posted:

So what happens to the sites that Gawker owns? If any of them have value could they be sold to someone else?

I think many of Gawker's sites have a lot of baggage you might not want to buy. If you're a media company in love with a certain writer, why not just hire that person for much cheaper than buying a site?

Realtalk though: this probably comes down (a lot) in appeal and Gawker will continue on, a few bits lighter.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Toilet Mouth posted:

So what happens to the sites that Gawker owns? If any of them have value could they be sold to someone else?

Theoretically. I'm sure the Deadspin name has some value, as might Gizmodo/Jalopnik. Kotaku might have too negative a reputation and lol at anyone touching Jezebel/Lifehacker and expecting to make money.

Crossposting from Wrasslehut, Denton was said to be worth $250m at one point, but I don't know how much of that he's worth now, how much was based on the valuation of his "media empire", and how much he has in liquid assets that would now need to be put into escrow for the appeal per Florida law.

I genuinely don't know if they can financially afford the appeal. Since the appeal was their plan all along I'm sure they'd got some kind of plan, but if the jury award was simply too much it could be can't afford not to appeal but can't afford the appeal, per say.

Even if the plan was to shutter the sites that aren't profitable and just go to a bare-bones staff, the Gawker writers had voted to unionize. I don't know how far along they were in that process and all, but it could mean it's an all or nothing type situation in terms of staff reduction.

IANAL and all, but I fully expect a post from Denton of "Shop's Closed" on all their sites relatively soon and a whole bunch of people filing for unemployment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Albert Burneko is dope someone hire him to write things. Otherwise meh.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Spoeank posted:

Reminder that they tried to jerk off in everyone's faces about this:

http://gawker.com/a-judge-told-us-to-take-down-our-hulk-hogan-sex-tape-po-481328088

"And Campbell's order requiring us to take down not only a very brief, highly edited video excerpt from a 30-minute Hulk Hogan loving session but also a lengthy written account from someone who had watched the entirety of that loving session, is risible and contemptuous of centuries of First Amendment jurisprudence.

Campbell's grasp on the ramifications of that jurisprudence, such as it is, can be gleaned from a moment in the transcript of yesterday's hearing wherein she seemed to fail to understand the basic First Amendment principle that "speech" includes forms of communication beyond word-sounds coming out of people's mouths."

Better cut it with those $10 words, Gawker. You're gonna need the cash.

man, this couldn't happen to a bigger group of shitheads.

People actually liked Burneko?? He was at least tolerable with the food stuff. The wanna be political writing was awful

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

man, this couldn't happen to a bigger group of shitheads.

People actually liked Burneko?? He was at least tolerable with the food stuff. The wanna be political writing was awful

Nah it's funny

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Burneko is good, Greg Howard was good but he's out. Most of the rest are OK to terrible. Billy Haisley is still far and away the worst.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Deadspin's cooking articles that never had pictures of the food were the stupidest thing ever

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Burneko is pretty funny and he's really the only one I like. Howard is not good at all.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Billy Haisley becomes the sole proprietor of Deadspin. Every waking day features a ten-thousand-word article about the minutiae of Spanish soccer.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't always like his stuff (though he is pretty good), but Drew Magary wrote this and I really liked it.

http://deadspin.com/5900973/pain-is-a-gift-and-other-notes-from-a-terrified-father-during-a-seven-week-premature-birth

I like his sports coverage less than his "lifestyle" stuff like the above or when GQ sends him on adventures. Which I guess is not good for someone who is nominally a sportswriter? My favorite Deadspin articles were by Mr. Baseball but that's different.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't always like his stuff (though he is pretty good), but Drew Magary wrote this and I really liked it.

http://deadspin.com/5900973/pain-is-a-gift-and-other-notes-from-a-terrified-father-during-a-seven-week-premature-birth

I like his sports coverage less than his "lifestyle" stuff like the above or when GQ sends him on adventures. Which I guess is not good for someone who is nominally a sportswriter? My favorite Deadspin articles were by Mr. Baseball but that's different.
A.J. Daulerio's Cultural Oddsmaker columns were frequently hilarious. Then he became Editor of Deadspin and welp

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

MourningView posted:

Nah it's funny

I felt he had a few good lines here and there, but was better suited to twitter than actual stories. But that would sum up how I feel about almost everyone on there.

I always liked Magary, and I definitely agree about his lifestyle writing vs just dicking around with his funbag. Howard and Haisley are awful - I have no idea how Howard ended up at the Times.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I think we can agree there's a space and a need for Deadspin or a site like it; the Manti T'eo/Brett Favre stories are a perfect example. It's just a matter of finding a balance between them breaking stories the bigger companies simply are too conflicted to aggressively pursue and their holier-than-thou attitude towards stupid bullshit. If this verdict happened to anyone else there'd be twenty articles up already and they'd have dug a grave to shitpost into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I love me some Big Daddy Balls