Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the big speech near the end of The Immortals there's the dramatic moment of all the soldiers hitting their swords and shields together on a beat. The thing that bugs me is that there's one guy right in the middle who was doing it too heavily on an earlier take or something but you could tell that he had been using the same prop all day because right where he was hitting the sword the pattern on his shield is worn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this? posted:

In the big speech near the end of The Immortals there's the dramatic moment of all the soldiers hitting their swords and shields together on a beat. The thing that bugs me is that there's one guy right in the middle who was doing it too heavily on an earlier take or something but you could tell that he had been using the same prop all day because right where he was hitting the sword the pattern on his shield is worn off.

My IIRM is that Braveheart forever ruined scenes like that for me. The FREEDOM speech was just so powerful to me as a child that every similar rousing speech before a big battle just pales in comparison. 300 did OK by being plain about it and the big rousing speech amounted to "Tonight we will gently caress THEIR poo poo UP!"

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Watching season 2 of Daredevil, and it brought up a IIMM for me: When trained professionals casually stick firearms in the waistband of their pants. Every time I watch Lethal Weapon, I wanna scream at Riggs, and it's super commonplace throughout movies and TV. Just bugs me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

10 Beers posted:

Watching season 2 of Daredevil, and it brought up a IIMM for me: When trained professionals casually stick firearms in the waistband of their pants. Every time I watch Lethal Weapon, I wanna scream at Riggs, and it's super commonplace throughout movies and TV. Just bugs me.

Especially if they've just unloaded a whole magazine through it 2 seconds ago. Feel the burn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bomrek posted:

It's okay buddy, I can't watch that poo poo either. Some things hit too close to home.

My googling "game of thrones but no rape and child death" is not proving fruitful. The story sounds really cool, but I can't deal with a lot of the themes soooooo

Somebody should do a rape-less edit of GOT if only so its more comfortable to watch with family members :v:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

On topic I don't like when someone's remembering something, and it flashes to their memories, and they're in the third person. I don't remember in sweeping camera shots of myself in a field!

On a related note, I hate when a character is having flashbacks about a loved one or friend that's just died and all of the flashbacks are scenes from earlier in the movie. Surely they had a few good moments together outside of this one story, right?! It seems incredibly lazy.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Timotheous Venture posted:

On a related note, I hate when a character is having flashbacks about a loved one or friend that's just died and all of the flashbacks are scenes from earlier in the movie. Surely they had a few good moments together outside of this one story, right?! It seems incredibly lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZh6tnAXiHE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIRM is that Braveheart forever ruined scenes like that for me. The FREEDOM speech was just so powerful to me as a child that every similar rousing speech before a big battle just pales in comparison. 300 did OK by being plain about it and the big rousing speech amounted to "Tonight we will gently caress THEIR poo poo UP!"

Same but Independence Day.

Ain't nothin' gonna match up with TODAY IS OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

10 Beers posted:

Speaking of Daredevil, after Fisk beat the gently caress out of Matt in season 1, why didn't he unmask him? Or kill him for that matter? It must have been explained but I'm forgetting I guess.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Same but Independence Day.

Ain't nothin' gonna match up with TODAY IS OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY

It's "TODAY WE CELEBRATE OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY!" get it right! :argh:

But yes, agreed that it's the best movie inspirational speech.

Now that someone has brought up Daredevil:

Everyone points out how great the hallway fight scene is, and how Daredevil is cool for showing what more REALISTIC fighting would look like, with a lot of the goons getting back up a few times before being "down for good", Matt clearly getting fatigued, etc...and I agree with that assessment.

Problem is...it's the only fight-scene like that in the series. All the other ones are typical shaky-cam, quick-cut punch and kick-fests full of superfluous spins and flips. Yet people continue to point to that one scene as an example of all the fighting in the show when it's not accurate to the rest of them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of Daredevil, after Fisk beat the gently caress out of Matt in season 1, why didn't he unmask him? Or kill him for that matter? It must have been explained but I'm forgetting I guess.

I think he just didn't care.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DrBouvenstein posted:

When I saw it, I didn't know that Independence day was the name of an American holiday. So it seemed like the characters were just awkwardly saying the name of the movie for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think he just didn't care.

He seemed to care a great deal form what I remember. "Man in the Mask" was a real thorn in his side as I recall but maybe that confrontation happened when DD was just a mere nuisance.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now that someone has brought up Daredevil:

Everyone points out how great the hallway fight scene is, and how Daredevil is cool for showing what more REALISTIC fighting would look like, with a lot of the goons getting back up a few times before being "down for good", Matt clearly getting fatigued, etc...and I agree with that assessment.

Problem is...it's the only fight-scene like that in the series. All the other ones are typical shaky-cam, quick-cut punch and kick-fests full of superfluous spins and flips. Yet people continue to point to that one scene as an example of all the fighting in the show when it's not accurate to the rest of them.

There's a great stairwell fight in the....3rd episode? of season 2. It's really fantastic. And some really great Punisher stuff as well.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Mildly Amusing posted:

Watched Equilibrium for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was bugged by the underwhelming final confrontation with his new partner. It lasts all of two seconds despite the fact that the movie establishes the two of them as rough equals.

Also it needed more gun kata, but I guess I could always just go play Bayonetta for that.

I don't think this needs a spoiler. They were not shown to be equals even though their sparring ended up with them "killing" each other. He hits him in the head with the stick seconds into that fight too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cptInsane0 posted:

I don't think this needs a spoiler. They were not shown to be equals even though their sparring ended up with them "killing" each other. He hits him in the head with the stick seconds into that fight too.

I just love Taye Digg's smile. He literally has the handsomest smile in Hollywood. It's a wonder it took so long for Bale's character to work out that the top brass weren't taking equilibrium.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody should do a rape-less edit of GOT if only so its more comfortable to watch with family members :v:

People are only watching for the "gritty medieval realism" now, aka "rape"

But it could be a cool show if they toned some things down and you could watch it with the same age group that watches Hunger Games.

I lent my first season DVD set to my boss and his wife and they politely had nothing to say about it.

The implied gay fellatio may have been part of it but that was adult consensual and not shown, gosh darn it!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

syscall girl posted:

But it could be a cool show if they toned some things down and you could watch it with the same age group that watches Hunger Games.

Nah, no one is asking for a PG version of Game Of Thrones. It's one of the most watched shows on TV, and the most torrented show. I think they're fine with the show as is.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I just love Taye Digg's smile. He literally has the handsomest smile in Hollywood. It's a wonder it took so long for Bale's character to work out that the top brass weren't taking equilibrium.

I kinda took it as him feigning emotion to unsettle his rivals. He never smiled with his eyes in that movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God Hole posted:

I kinda took it as him feigning emotion to unsettle his rivals. He never smiled with his eyes in that movie.

No but he smiled in my heart :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Just flicking around channels and I caught the last half of Predator on Fox Classics*. Seems to me that having glowing blood would be at least a little bit if an evolutionary liability

*poo poo I'm old, I saw that in the cinema.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

counterpoint: predator is loving awesome and has no flaws

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Kind of anthrocentric of you to think that specific wavelength is important or noticible on their planet. Maybe their sun glows that exact green and blood is invisible there.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

10 Beers posted:

That bugged me about Riggs as well. For another thing you wont "unnotice", for a supposedly amazing shot and marksman Riggs sure does blink hard every time he fires his gun when showing up Murtock at the range.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Nutsngum posted:

That bugged me about Riggs as well. For another thing you wont "unnotice", for a supposedly amazing shot and marksman Riggs sure does blink hard every time he fires his gun when showing up Murtock at the range.

Someone pointed that out in lethal weapon, mel gibson is scared shitless every time he pulls the trigger and it's part of his character that he's the best shot or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HquFyRcQHGQ&t=20s

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Somebody posted earlier about the differences in T2 between how Arnold flinches and squints when he shoots, and how Robert Patrick really sells "I'm a literal killing machine" by emptying his gun without blinking and blind reloading.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krinkle posted:

Kind of anthrocentric of you to think that specific wavelength is important or noticible on their planet. Maybe their sun glows that exact green and blood is invisible there.

I guess if it is the same colour as the sun, then under very specific lighting conditions in their planet it would be invisible, but if they hunt at night, it's a flat-out liability.

Also, glowing at all requires more energy to synthesise phosphorescent compounds, making it more taxing to produce.

It's really a dumb thing to be annoyed about, because it's a)cool as gently caress and b)important for the plot.

oldpainless posted:

counterpoint: predator is loving awesome and has no flaws
Also an excellent point. Such a good movie.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay well you take your sun-blood, slice your hand open, splat it on the wall, boom, instant daytime to confuse your prey. Like moths to a sun-blood-hand-splat as they no doubt say.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Krinkle posted:

Someone pointed that out in lethal weapon, mel gibson is scared shitless every time he pulls the trigger and it's part of his character that he's the best shot or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HquFyRcQHGQ&t=20s

Yeah thats the exact scene was talking about. Its worse if you ever see footage of actual trained shooters who dont even blink or flinch even when shooting really quickly.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Haha I have never seen the movie and don't know the character names. I outed myself as a nerddddddd.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Somebody posted earlier about the differences in T2 between how Arnold flinches and squints when he shoots, and how Robert Patrick really sells "I'm a literal killing machine" by emptying his gun without blinking and blind reloading.

I might have mentioned it (but I'm certainly not original in the sentiment). Watch the original Terminator where Shwarzenegger kills the wrong Sarah Connor, his eyes blink almost shut at the muzzle flash in low light. Meanwhile in Terminator 2 Robert Patrick is running full speed, head down like a shark and magdumping his pistol without a single change in facial expression and it's utterly inhuman and terrifying.

Funny story, I met Robert Patrick on a USO thing a few years ago and he was incredibly laid back, humble and nice. I walked up and said "Dude, you scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid." He just laughed and said "yeah, I get that a lot." Then his face went totally blank in the middle of his laughter and he stared at me and asked "Have you seen this boy?" Fun dude.

Edit: he also got a kick out of me telling him I loved his brother's band in high school.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wild T posted:

I might have mentioned it (but I'm certainly not original in the sentiment). Watch the original Terminator where Shwarzenegger kills the wrong Sarah Connor, his eyes blink almost shut at the muzzle flash in low light. Meanwhile in Terminator 2 Robert Patrick is running full speed, head down like a shark and magdumping his pistol without a single change in facial expression and it's utterly inhuman and terrifying.

Funny story, I met Robert Patrick on a USO thing a few years ago and he was incredibly laid back, humble and nice. I walked up and said "Dude, you scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid." He just laughed and said "yeah, I get that a lot." Then his face went totally blank in the middle of his laughter and he stared at me and asked "Have you seen this boy?" Fun dude.

Edit: he also got a kick out of me telling him I loved his brother's band in high school.

That's a neat story. As far as the differences are concerned, it's kind of funny because Patrick doesn't really have any more of an acting background than Arnie. Maybe he was just more experienced with guns?

I didn't know his brother was in Filter until just now, that's pretty cool.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
In fairness when you view the scenes, Arnold was firing an off-frame gun in a low light, low-budget shot, meaning they were propably popping bright rear end strobes in his face. Meanwhile Rob was firing a blank pistol under bright lighting, which cuts down on the muzzle flash (which is most of what causes that flinch response). Given the budget he probably had far more time to prep and train for the role as well.

Not to deny that for a guy who was basically a nobody (I think his biggest role at that point was a disposable henchman in Die Hard 2) he did an amazing job portraying a character almost entirely through physicality and absolutely earned his breakthrough role. It reminds me of Peter Weller training for months to move like a snake in preparation forRobocop to reinforce the idea that he wasn't human, until he showed up on set and realized he could barely move in the costume.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Memento posted:

That's a neat story. As far as the differences are concerned, it's kind of funny because Patrick doesn't really have any more of an acting background than Arnie. Maybe he was just more experienced with guns?

I didn't know his brother was in Filter until just now, that's pretty cool.

That's the funny part, he never fired a gun before T2. Cameron was mystified by him not blinking.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a terminator related irritating TV moment in that my girlfriend watches a lot of those cop procedural shows and I tend to think the main boss dudes from CSI Miami and Criminal Minds are totally terminators. Or could perhaps play ones, at least.

That or I just think of Hudson Hawk.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wild T posted:

In fairness when you view the scenes, Arnold was firing an off-frame gun in a low light, low-budget shot, meaning they were propably popping bright rear end strobes in his face. Meanwhile Rob was firing a blank pistol under bright lighting, which cuts down on the muzzle flash (which is most of what causes that flinch response). Given the budget he probably had far more time to prep and train for the role as well.

Not to deny that for a guy who was basically a nobody (I think his biggest role at that point was a disposable henchman in Die Hard 2) he did an amazing job portraying a character almost entirely through physicality and absolutely earned his breakthrough role. It reminds me of Peter Weller training for months to move like a snake in preparation forRobocop to reinforce the idea that he wasn't human, until he showed up on set and realized he could barely move in the costume.

I loved the bits in T2 where Patrick acts friendly on his search for John. He seemed much more adaptable and thus capable at infiltration than Arnold, whose main options for conversation in T1 were blunt orders and the choice between "gently caress you!" and "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat!"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

I have a terminator related irritating TV moment in that my girlfriend watches a lot of those cop procedural shows and I tend to think the main boss dudes from CSI Miami and Criminal Minds are totally terminators. Or could perhaps play ones, at least.

That or I just think of Hudson Hawk.

Never watched csi miami but I don't get that at all from the criminal minds guy. He's often really flat, I agree, but to me it's not the unemotional robot flatness but rather the depressed, worn out, completely drained kind that's understandable given the job and all he's been through. He's totally burned out, not a terminator, and I think he portrays that quite well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Taeke posted:

Never watched csi miami but I don't get that at all from the criminal minds guy. He's often really flat, I agree, but to me it's not the unemotional robot flatness but rather the depressed, worn out, completely drained kind that's understandable given the job and all he's been through. He's totally burned out, not a terminator, and I think he portrays that quite well.

I only catch scenes now and then so I probably just didn't get enough of the performance to see that. Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Memento posted:

Just flicking around channels and I caught the last half of Predator on Fox Classics*. Seems to me that having glowing blood would be at least a little bit if an evolutionary liability

*poo poo I'm old, I saw that in the cinema.

If everything on the predator home world had the same vision then they might not even realized that it glowed. They would have just seen it slowly drop to the surrounding temperature.