Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Brumaldo posted:

How's the platforming in this game? Is there a lot of pixel perfect jumping over bottomless chasms?
I really like souls games, but I'm afraid the combination of platforming and souls difficulty would get infuriating quick.

There are some jumps that feel like they need to be 90% perfect or so. But the game is kind of slow so it's nowhere near as difficult as something like Meat Boy. The platforming is pretty similar to the GBA/DS Castlevanias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I despise platforming as the lowest form of gameplay in video games and I've had no problems with it from a doing or a design standpoint, so you should be fine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

That's disappointing. I hope I won't have too much trouble with my build (smallshields and one-handed swords, light armor)

Also, these crashes are making me angry!!!

Well, they're not worthless, but they are considerably less effective compared to the bigger weapons. E.g. with a sword I had upgraded a few times it took me a good 30 or so hits to take down a big regular enemy in Storm Castle, with a great hammer I picked up it took like 6 or 7. Buffs help a lot, though, and are very much your friend when it comes to the quicker weapons.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Cool, thanks for the answers. Gonna pick this up sometime soon.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Genocyber posted:

Well, they're not worthless, but they are considerably less effective compared to the bigger weapons. E.g. with a sword I had upgraded a few times it took me a good 30 or so hits to take down a big regular enemy in Storm Castle, with a great hammer I picked up it took like 6 or 7. Buffs help a lot, though, and are very much your friend when it comes to the quicker weapons.

Spears/Polaxes/Reapers are pretty weak too. I guess you have reach and speed but the stamina consumption is pretty high. Spears doubly so because the moveset is bad against all the flying enemies (though this is a problem with spears in SotN Castlevanias too)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The only hard jumping section is optional

speaking of which! just got the last achievement

edit: MAGE IS SO BROKEN AHHH

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 18, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

Spears/Polaxes/Reapers are pretty weak too. I guess you have reach and speed but the stamina consumption is pretty high. Spears doubly so because the moveset is bad against all the flying enemies (though this is a problem with spears in SotN Castlevanias too)

Have you been running a spear/reaper/poleaxe character? I had heard the scythes were pretty strong.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, gently caress this Cyclops rear end in a top hat. Once he starts comboing I just get drained of stamina and die. It's harshing my buzz. Is there another route I can take? I don't like this guy but I've already cleared out the Village (I think).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

Have you been running a spear/reaper/poleaxe character? I had heard the scythes were pretty strong.

Scythes have a really good moveset but their damage is kinda lacking. I got to the end game with a scythe character but gave up because I hit a roadblock with a boss. One of the endgame bosses that's resistant to slash was a nightmare with my tier 4 scythe

Mid to end-game has the same problem as Dark Souls 2 at launch where strike damage was king except replace strike damage with Great-weapons

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2016

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I got this game a few days ago but hadn't really put any time into it until today. I just got to the Village of Smiles, and I promptly died upon entry because I wasn't paying attention to the giant, spiked log. Put a HUGE smile on my face (hah!). Some of the stuff in this game makes me groan (like the symbols used for the message bottles), but the core of Souls definitely seems strong here.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pladdicus posted:

The only hard jumping section is optional

speaking of which! just got the last achievement

edit: MAGE IS SO BROKEN AHHH

I couldn't make it past the village of smiles with mage. What makes the class broken?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I couldn't make it past the village of smiles with mage. What makes the class broken?

Soon as you get lightning barrage you're set. Also you should be 100% naked for insane dodge rolls. This is my second character so knowing when to dodge certain attacks helps but yeah, the damage you put out without needing to engage up close is incredible. Then storm ring, charged ring (optional) conduit of mind and cyrstalmoat ring, have an energy phial or two and you can burn down pretty much any boss.

It's not faceroll easy, but it is tons of fun and killing one of the later bosses in about 5 seconds felt really good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ugh, gently caress this Cyclops rear end in a top hat. Once he starts comboing I just get drained of stamina and die. It's harshing my buzz. Is there another route I can take? I don't like this guy but I've already cleared out the Village (I think).

I believe the cyclops is a required fight.

If you haven't fought the Jester, Alchemist, or Lady of Smiles those should all be accessible though.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pladdicus posted:

Soon as you get lightning barrage you're set. Also you should be 100% naked for insane dodge rolls. This is my second character so knowing when to dodge certain attacks helps but yeah, the damage you put out without needing to engage up close is incredible. Then storm ring, charged ring (optional) conduit of mind and cyrstalmoat ring, have an energy phial or two and you can burn down pretty much any boss.

It's not faceroll easy, but it is tons of fun and killing one of the later bosses in about 5 seconds felt really good.

I'll give it another whirl on my second playthrough. In frustration with early game mage troubles I went and rolled a paladin and it's been six hours yet. Wish I picked a better name than fartface though lol

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

NotAnArtist posted:

I'll give it another whirl on my second playthrough. In frustration with early game mage troubles I went and rolled a paladin and it's been six hours yet. Wish I picked a better name than fartface though lol

A real winner, that fart face.

Also the blood magic spells look rad in a silly grimdark way.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I believe the cyclops is a required fight.

If you haven't fought the Jester, Alchemist, or Lady of Smiles those should all be accessible though.

Use poison on the cyclops then just chill out. Or go armorless.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

How did you people get 100k for upgrades? My salt count was never that high and I don't think I fought a boss that gave that much (even the final boss doesn't give that much salt)

Maybe I just suck :(

I have a tendency to overfarm before the last boss fight because I'm bad at hard games. The path I was using (and is the best that I can think of), is very late game at the Crypt of the Dead Gods. From the Sanctuary head right and there are three of the green-gem golem monsters that I can one shot with my 2handers. Each is worth 1850 salt with the +salt ring and you can kill all three and return to the sanctuary in only a minute or two. It's really easy and a lot safer than that heavily armoured knight in the Alkymancy area.

Conversely the Red Hall of Cages has a decent loop that'll net you around 10k but it's longer and also occasionally you may fall through the elevator and die.

edit: Wanted to add some numbers now that I'm home, re: armour upgrades. My Lamprey Cuirass VI has 79.7 // 197.7 strike/slash defense at 20.0 weight. In comparison an unupgraded class 5 Golem's Torso has 78 // 90 strike/slash defense at double the weight.

acumen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 18, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I died and now I'm out of poison items. Where do I get more poison stuff?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I died and now I'm out of poison items. Where do I get more poison stuff?

Join the Stoneroots (found in the Witching Wood east of the Village of Smiles). Merchants sell poison-related things (I think the Merchant will sell poison knives) and if you summon a Leader and rank up you can get replenishable poison knives or poison buff every time you rest at a Stoneroot sanctuary.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't fight the Cyclops until I was cleaning up 20 hours into the game, so you can leave it for now. I don't recall exactly where I went at that point, though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I can't get past the Spindlebeasts because I suck at dodging/jumping but I think you can use the Pitchwoods to skip like half the game if you wanted to. Not that's a good idea since sequence breaking provides no benefits unless you're a speedrunner.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Friend posted:

I didn't fight the Cyclops until I was cleaning up 20 hours into the game, so you can leave it for now. I don't recall exactly where I went at that point, though.

Yeah, I can't find any other paths. Bandit's Pass just ends in a dead end and the old man telling me to go back (presumably to do the cyclops route).

EDIT: People mentioned a Jester. How can I get to the Jester boss? From what Sanctuary do I start?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 19, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

How charming: just got bit by a mimic

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah, I can't find any other paths. Bandit's Pass just ends in a dead end and the old man telling me to go back (presumably to do the cyclops route).

EDIT: People mentioned a Jester. How can I get to the Jester boss? From what Sanctuary do I start?

go to the watching woods. once you're there go as far up and then as far right as you can, you'll find a sanctuary and a boss there. after you beat the boss you'll get a key that will open the door on the other side of the sanctuary and let you go around the cyclops.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

go to the watching woods. once you're there go as far up and then as far right as you can, you'll find a sanctuary and a boss there. after you beat the boss you'll get a key that will open the door on the other side of the sanctuary and let you go around the cyclops.

Thanks.

Addendum: Well gently caress THIS new boss in particular. Is there any downside to abandoning my religion to join another one? 'cause I have a feeling this merchant here is gonna sell antidotes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started with the devara creed because I have no idea what the differences are, I am using halberds/swords/ranged weapons/light armor. Thematically it seems like my creed is going to have more to do with prayers than things I care about, but I don't know. Would another one suit me better?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My poison dagger build does not feel like it's paying off. It tore through a few of the first bosses like cyclops and alchemist, but then the wyrm and the tree were immune which made them real slogs. For tree I ended up using 3 holy and 3 lightning buff items and the second stage still lasted like 5 minutes. It's not super great against normal enemies either.

Digirat posted:

I started with the devara creed because I have no idea what the differences are, I am using halberds/swords/ranged weapons/light armor. Thematically it seems like my creed is going to have more to do with prayers than things I care about, but I don't know. Would another one suit me better?

The creeds don't seem to matter that much. They just change a few of the buff items you have access to and a few of the weapons the smith sells. I think Devara might actually be a bad pick for clerics, since her weapon buff item is holy which is redundant with their holy weapon prayer. Any of the three default ones are probably fine unless you have something real specific in mind. I could be wrong though...

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
My personal opinion on poison build, and indeed anything sort of gimmicky is maybe steer clear on your first run. It's probably doable but it's gonna be a hugeass slog when you're still trying to acclimate yourself to the game

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

My personal opinion on poison build, and indeed anything sort of gimmicky is maybe steer clear on your first run. It's probably doable but it's gonna be a hugeass slog when you're still trying to acclimate yourself to the game

Yeah, it is my second playthrough and it's much, much harder than my greathammer build so far. Except for the alchemist, greathammers are garbo against him but poison daggers tear him to shreds.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Me and my greathammer tore through three bosses on the first try. I like the sustained effect of the creed's healing items, because you can drink one before jumping into an attack and heal up any damage you take while laying down massive smacks with the hammer. I was looking over the transmutation options and I have no recollection fighting any Inquisitor. Mal was a bitch, though (until I got gud).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lakbay posted:

Scythes have a really good moveset but their damage is kinda lacking. I got to the end game with a scythe character but gave up because I hit a roadblock with a boss. One of the endgame bosses that's resistant to slash was a nightmare with my tier 4 scythe

Mid to end-game has the same problem as Dark Souls 2 at launch where strike damage was king except replace strike damage with Great-weapons

That's super disappointing. Did you try applying any damage buffing items? Everyone is talking about using hammers and great swords in this thread, so is it basically hammers/2 handed swords or bust in the late game?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm really far into the game, a Paladin, I got a machete that counts as an axe, a Greathammer that's bigger than I am, and buffs for healing, protecting, and hurting. The only thing I fear is gravity.

And sometimes not even that. I'm level 50 something so I have a decent healthbar, which means I can survive some pretty absurd falls.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh okay gently caress Retcheaters JESUS

loving STUNLOCKING CHEAP loving ASSHOLES

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The traps in the village of smiles suuuuuck. Really wish the palate made things a little clearer.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bogart posted:

The traps in the village of smiles suuuuuck. Really wish the palate made things a little clearer.

They do, but once you know where they are you can just roll the moment you hear the click and you'll be fine.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow upgrading your weapon makes a ton of difference. I think I finally found the right one for me, and my battle axe and I are going to cleanse these tainted streets shores!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

That's super disappointing. Did you try applying any damage buffing items? Everyone is talking about using hammers and great swords in this thread, so is it basically hammers/2 handed swords or bust in the late game?

The damage is still bad even after applying buffs. It's Great-weapons or bust. I mean the fast weapons are usable but it's a lot more painful than just smacking a boss with a giant hammer.

Digirat posted:

Devara gets really good health potions and holy resin if you do the leader quests and my first character whom I beat the game with was Devara and they were pure melee.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 19, 2016

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

I was rolling pure mage up to the third lamb, then noticed i could turn one of my axes into a magic axe, since I already got the mage tree as far as i cared too i dipped into the berserker side of things. Now tearing poo poo up with lightning axe. This game has some cool builds you can do.

Mage is easymode if you dip into light armor and use a rank 1 or 2 that has been decently upgraded, run into a boss and just blow em the gently caress up, and when you inevitably run out of focus just tear into them with a lightning axe.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

AzMiLion posted:

I was rolling pure mage up to the third lamb, then noticed i could turn one of my axes into a magic axe, since I already got the mage tree as far as i cared too i dipped into the berserker side of things. Now tearing poo poo up with lightning axe. This game has some cool builds you can do.

Mage is easymode if you dip into light armor and use a rank 1 or 2 that has been decently upgraded, run into a boss and just blow em the gently caress up, and when you inevitably run out of focus just tear into them with a lightning axe.

If you run out of focus just energy phial!

but gently caress, magic lightning axe sounds rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Pladdicus posted:

If you run out of focus just energy phial!

but gently caress, magic lightning axe sounds rad.

Filling the screen with lightning and fire birns through energy phials fast. Even with half focus cost

• Locked thread