Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the boss in the Castle

loving dragon rear end in a top hat. I got the blacksmith apron on for its fire defense, but his physical attacks just chew me up. I'm level 19; should I be leveling up a bit more before taking him on, or are there some good tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Satorr posted:

Try fire.

I ended up just plinking away with my toothpicks and got him on my next try. Get gud basically.

Now I'm on the dude-tree and can't quite kill him without eventually rolling off the platform. I'm actually handling he fire fine too, I don't think I've been directly killed yet. So time to get gudder.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Are there any bosses you can actually parry or am I just wasting my time and healing items here. I figured if I could parry anyone it would be the false jester but I guess not!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Don't neglect the shield. It was vital for beating Mal and the second to last boss, as well as the Wyrm. Also, for the Wyrm, you can avoid his fly-by flame attack by walking towards the side of the screen that he flew off of. He'll burn the area where you were, so you can just walk behind him as he flys by and hit him when he lands. I think I remember that by keeping his at a distance while he's on the ground, he'll do the fly-by. So try to get a safe loop of that attack going and see if helps.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm at the Castle of Storms and I'm still wearing my basic Hunter's Set. Everything is hurting. Tips?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So the boss in the Castle

loving dragon rear end in a top hat. I got the blacksmith apron on for its fire defense, but his physical attacks just chew me up. I'm level 19; should I be leveling up a bit more before taking him on, or are there some good tricks?

Fire resistant shield inside will help but not with the physical attacks. Learning when to dodgeroll his stuff is key. I went naked and I kind of recommend it for the iframes on that dodge.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I'm at the Castle of Storms and I'm still wearing my basic Hunter's Set. Everything is hurting. Tips?

Get new armor.

But no in all seriousness uhh find the heaviest highest rank thing you can wear and upgrade the poo poo out of it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pladdicus posted:

Fire resistant shield inside will help but not with the physical attacks. Learning when to dodgeroll his stuff is key. I went naked and I kind of recommend it for the iframes on that dodge.

Yeah I hosed him up. It's a fun fight, actually, the attacks are all relatively fair.

WHen he flies up high, he's going to carpet spray fire where you are standing when he flies up there. Bait him to do this at the farthest end, then dash down--he'll fly right over you and you could even jump and attack him for extra damage. I used a battle axe and its downward aerial slash was very useful for getting chip damage on him. He's most vulnerable after his tail whip; the tell for it looks like his fire breath, but there's a slight delay, so it's hard to spot but doable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pladdicus posted:

Do iframes vary depending on your loadout? I'm hovering around 50% because I didn't see any obvious distance difference between 0 and 50%. (I know there's a hard cap at 70ish where you start to do fat rolls though)

I really wish enemies didn't throw you across half a screen if you get hit while in the air. I've probably died more times falling to my death after being hit by an enemy than actually getting hit by non-boss enemies. And let's not even talk about the Red Hall of Cages boss where the arena is above a death pit! That was...not fun.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo so I beat the Castle and got the special reward, so now I don't know where to go. I thought I could go to the Red Cages place by using that elevator shaft with the cleaver guy in it, but the walls are too far apart, so I don't know where I am supposed to use my new power.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yo so I beat the Castle and got the special reward, so now I don't know where to go. I thought I could go to the Red Cages place by using that elevator shaft with the cleaver guy in it, but the walls are too far apart, so I don't know where I am supposed to use my new power.

http://saltandsanctuary.wiki.fextralife.com/Game+Progress+Route

ymgve posted:

Do iframes vary depending on your loadout? I'm hovering around 50% because I didn't see any obvious distance difference between 0 and 50%. (I know there's a hard cap at 70ish where you start to do fat rolls though)

I really wish enemies didn't throw you across half a screen if you get hit while in the air. I've probably died more times falling to my death after being hit by an enemy than actually getting hit by non-boss enemies. And let's not even talk about the Red Hall of Cages boss where the arena is above a death pit! That was...not fun.

I'm not sure what all the ranges for rolls are, but I know being naked has really not effected me all that much. Armor effects % reduction???

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

So It Goes posted:

Where is the Masterless Knight after the cave area. I know that wiki says in the ruined temple, but I can't find him. It says after you beat the coveted so I assume he didn't disappear even though I beat the boss?

IIRC, to the left of the coveted there's a wall you can jump up even though it just looks like darkness up there.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I went from the castle to the...dome of something? It was to the right across a large valley. From there I went (back) to Cages, where I'm stuck now.

I really want the (mechanics spoiler) air dash or double jump or whatever. I can tell it exists based on a few areas and am just hoping I find it before I forget where to use it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah I hosed him up. It's a fun fight, actually, the attacks are all relatively fair.

WHen he flies up high, he's going to carpet spray fire where you are standing when he flies up there. Bait him to do this at the farthest end, then dash down--he'll fly right over you and you could even jump and attack him for extra damage. I used a battle axe and its downward aerial slash was very useful for getting chip damage on him. He's most vulnerable after his tail whip; the tell for it looks like his fire breath, but there's a slight delay, so it's hard to spot but doable.

The easy tell I used on the dragon was when his feet are close together he's going to tail whip, when they're further apart he's going to breathe fire.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
And there goes 20k salt. loving overpowered Bronze Knight right in front of the Dome boss and while I"m parrying him five times and he' s just not dying, it feels irritating. Guess I'm underleveled for this zone!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And there goes 20k salt. loving overpowered Bronze Knight right in front of the Dome boss and while I"m parrying him five times and he' s just not dying, it feels irritating. Guess I'm underleveled for this zone!

Hah, I lost a similar amount to the same jerkface.

Now I'm being shotgunned to death by the disemboweled husk :/

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Falling to my death sure is fun

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Falling to my death sure is fun
-me falling to my death on Tree of Men for the hundredth time

Still haven't died outright to damage in the fight. As far as I'm concerned that bat thing is just part of the boss fight.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just beat the game. That was excellent, a great game to play during the wait between now and Dark Souls 3. I have some complaints here and there, but for the most part I really enjoyed the game.

I might load it up again to play around with different classes and loadouts, but for right now I'm content.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
W

King of Solomon posted:

Just beat the game. That was excellent, a great game to play during the wait between now and Dark Souls 3. I have some complaints here and there, but for the most part I really enjoyed the game.

I might load it up again to play around with different classes and loadouts, but for right now I'm content.

What build did you use?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megasabin posted:

What build did you use?

By the endgame I was using a poleaxe (voulge, specifically) and a whip sword, with light armor. I also had a bow around that I didn't use much near the end (I specifically liked the poleaxe's 2h moveset.)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

King of Solomon posted:

By the endgame I was using a poleaxe (voulge, specifically) and a whip sword, with light armor. I also had a bow around that I didn't use much near the end (I specifically liked the poleaxe's 2h moveset.)

Did you feel that the Poleaxe's damage was sufficient for dealing with most of the bosses?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megasabin posted:

Did you feel that the Poleaxe's damage was sufficient for dealing with most of the bosses?

Most of the bosses, yes. As far as bosses are concerned, I felt like the biggest grind in terms of damage output was The Coveted, who I dealt very little damage to, even with a very highly upgraded weapon and an arcane charm (no buff though.)

On the other hand, near the end I was also skipping a lot of enemies because they'd be a pain in the rear end to fight. For example, the knights in the Salt Alkymancery: With the arcane charm still in place, I had to parry and riposte them 7 times to kill one. 11 when they had my salt. Other larger enemies (like the giants with axes and hammers) could be similarly grindy to fight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Please tell me this game is long. I just logged on for 3 minutes (I beat Alchemist and Kraken Cyclops earlier today and logged off...) and wander up and to the left and was like OOPS it's another boss (Jester) and just beat him totally unprepared.

Level 30 Knight with the first great sword I ever found. (Keiretsu or some poo poo?) Leveled to 2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Please tell me this game is long. I just logged on for 3 minutes (I beat Alchemist and Kraken Cyclops earlier today and logged off...) and wander up and to the left and was like OOPS it's another boss (Jester) and just beat him totally unprepared.

Level 30 Knight with the first great sword I ever found. (Keiretsu or some poo poo?) Leveled to 2.

You are pretty high level for that part of the game, but you're still early in yet. You have a really big level coming up and a tough boss at the end of it and then another route split at least.

SLOSifl posted:

-me falling to my death on Tree of Men for the hundredth time

Still haven't died outright to damage in the fight. As far as I'm concerned that bat thing is just part of the boss fight.

I cleared it after four attempts or so; it nailed me with a bullshit sucker punch that ticked me off 'cause I would have won easily if it hadn't got me. This fight sucks on a lot of levels, and it's definitely an attempt to do the Bed of Chaos fight "right" but it has a lot of elements I really don't like, in particular how one of the hit boxes is usually at the very top and center of the screen, so every attempt to attack is going to cost you health from the fall damage. I don't see why they couldn't let you target its legs in that part to bring it down to a more reasonable level. Like pretty much every boss fight in this game, it felt like about half a dozen things getting thrown at me at once, but unlike the other boss fights in the game, this one didn't feel very fun.

Boss looks great though. Absolutely ridiculous in all the right ways.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

My first run was 20 hours, my newgame+ on that char was about 10. Took me 12 on a fresh char after that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, it's kind of a cool boss. I've accepted the fall damage but my video game instincts force me to roll after a damaging fall. I'll jump out there and do plenty of damage, fall and then roll right off the edge. It's just frustrating, just like bed of chaos.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a cool boss. I've accepted the fall damage but my video game instincts force me to roll after a damaging fall. I'll jump out there and do plenty of damage, fall and then roll right off the edge. It's just frustrating, just like bed of chaos.

Yeah, but somehow it's more insulting because they actually dared to try and fix that lovely fight and in a lot of ways just made it worse. I wouldn't call it an easy boss, but there's an awful lot of luck involved, especially since climbing quickly up collapsing floors has never been entirely consistent as I"ve played.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Why no PC :saddowns:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

sure am loving a level full of farts and platforming
the mire of stench can suck a nut, I'm tired of dying due to fall damage

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sony exclusivity, haven't said how long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've cleared 3 bosses so far and have 2 deaths to enemies (that armor mite you can run into if you open a secret door) and probably a good 12 to falling damage.

There may be a bit of an over reliance on falling damage in the game's design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really not enjoying the boss encounters at all.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Orv posted:

Sony exclusivity, haven't said how long.

They mentioned on a stream june EARLIEST

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Really not enjoying the boss encounters at all.

Using the Teuthis shield (I think purchasable from a starter vendor?) trivializes at least half of the boss fights.

On that note I finally ended my farming spree and beat the last boss. Went down in about 10 hits from the trinity greathammer.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
NG+ salt inflation is hilarious. Regular guys at the beginning drop like 600-700 and I got like 70000 from the first boss.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I don't think I took any falling damage on the Tree? Wait for him to roar, jump to a higher platform, and hit his head when he lowers it. The only time you should be down by his feet is when he's breathing fire. That was my favorite boss fight so far since it actually had features to its arena.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Where do I get the stuff to transmute my weapons? I've just gotten (5-6 bosses killed spoilers) the first brand

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Enemies drop them very rarely. Amber Idols you can get from the big ogre guys that poison you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really wish the devotion quests were kill x enemies instead of farm x drops. It took me 54 drowned soldiers to get three ears, and I'm at 30 bats killed and have yet to see a single one of their items.

• Locked thread