Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

For any of these idiots who are like 'pgabz is cherry picking bugs, I spent a good 5 hours enjoying the wonders of the pu it was the best gaming experience of my life i had an orgasm and immediately spent my childrens college funds on the completionist package, then a javelin lol i cant eat for several weeks oh well', I have a simple request: please post a vid of you enjoying the pu as is, with no bugs, displaying engaging gameplay. Like a full vid showing you enjoying the wonders of star citizen, sans cherry picked bugs, for several hours

I've participated in alphas. For example, I was in the F&F alpha of WoW Cataclysm. What I was able to participate in was a slice of complete gameplay, for example in the new (at the time) starter areas. You couldn't progress after you finished the initial questline at that stage, it was released to test those new starter areas, but the area was complete and the limit of the reports I submitted amounted to 'the quests seem to reward more gloves than are necessary, maybe look at the quest rewards' or 'a mining node is buried in terrain atm, might need moving'. It was complete and my new goblin or worgen didn't clip slowly through the ground whilst contorting in stimpire self-flagellation agonies.

Alternately, for those who claim 'it's an alpha, expect bugs omg', please provide video footage of another game in alpha with an equal amount of bugs. I'll wait, really provide either of those things. A vid of octodad flailing around and collapsing into a singularity doesn't count, I mean a game where the devs have actually declared alpha. Any other game in alpha, that displays the level of hosed up broken sadness

neither of these things exist because star citizen isn't a game that exists

TODD BONZALEZ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TTerrible posted:

EDIT: loving :laffo: at "link him to this website" being an acceptable counter to those points.

"False" *link to Chris saying "yes" to a thing*

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
he's a $5000+ backer oh lord its just too much

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The Starfarer walk-though is wonderful.

They approach stairs with trepidation, knowing they will almost certainly fall through them. Standards should probably dictate that if you're pretty certain you'll fall through the stairs during your walk-through, you aren't ready for a walk-through, but they're either so desperate for a funding bump or so used to working with broken poo poo that we're doing a walk-through anyway.

And they do fall through the stairs. They fall through geometry at least five times in under half an hour spent inside the ship. At one point, one of them mumbles "this was good yesterday" and another one tries to explain how there's a new build out so of course everything is broken again. They also seem to get snagged on invisible geometry several times.

They come up to a row of identical non-functional seats, and explain how they're waiting for new systems coming soon will let them paste down repeated seats that actually function which will be a huge improvement because currently seats aren't placeable objects, they are bespoke made extensions of the exterior hull which requires "lots of duplicate work".

Several times they also get lost in the samey grey corridors and have to pause to work out where they are.

One of them asks "why does it have a spoiler?" and is told it's because it makes it go faster.

They talk about how they've had difficulties placing ladders because all ladders had to be mounted from top because only that animation exists but someone's making an animation for getting onto a ladder from the side so now they'll be allowed to place ladders where you get on them from the side, which speaks of a chaotic process where no one knows what animations are required and everyone has to do piecemeal hack work around the chaos.

The captain's chair (currently non-existent because chairs are too hard) is so far back and the window is so tiny that the captain will enjoy unprecedentedly poo poo visibility even for this game's horribly poo poo visibility.

It is very Star Citizen.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Could someone also please link the ben vid where he's like yah whoh did ehp eh waoh did etc, I was at work when I read that bit and wasn't able to listen. I get unmonitored internet access but no sound : /

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cocaine dad show posted:

For any of these idiots who are like 'pgabz is cherry picking bugs, I spent a good 5 hours enjoying the wonders of the pu it was the best gaming experience of my life i had an orgasm and immediately spent my childrens college funds on the completionist package, then a javelin lol i cant eat for several weeks oh well', I have a simple request: please post a vid of you enjoying the pu as is, with no bugs, displaying engaging gameplay. Like a full vid showing you enjoying the wonders of star citizen, sans cherry picked bugs, for several hours

I've participated in alphas. For example, I was in the F&F alpha of WoW Cataclysm. What I was able to participate in was a slice of complete gameplay, for example in the new (at the time) starter areas. You couldn't progress after you finished the initial questline at that stage, it was released to test those new starter areas, but the area was complete and the limit of the reports I submitted amounted to 'the quests seem to reward more gloves than are necessary, maybe look at the quest rewards' or 'a mining node is buried in terrain atm, might need moving'. It was complete and my new goblin or worgen didn't clip slowly through the ground whilst contorting in stimpire self-flagellation agonies.

Alternately, for those who claim 'it's an alpha, expect bugs omg', please provide video footage of another game in alpha with an equal amount of bugs. I'll wait, really provide either of those things. A vid of octodad flailing around and collapsing into a singularity doesn't count, I mean a game where the devs have actually declared alpha. Any other game in alpha, that displays the level of hosed up broken sadness

Yeah but what about Line of Defense? Checkmate Goon :smuggo:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

'All those issues are just so easy to refute that we're not even going to bother doing so.' Good job commandos, you're really selling this guy :effort:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

cocaine dad show posted:

Could someone also please link the ben vid where he's like yah whoh did ehp eh waoh did etc, I was at work when I read that bit and wasn't able to listen. I get unmonitored internet access but no sound : /

Here you are.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

cocaine dad show posted:

Its impossible. In order to make a 3 minute video I had to start/restart the client over 23 times to get it to a point where I didn't crash, didn't lock up, etc. The "game" is a joke. I don't see how anyone can look at this and be like "Yeah, this is normal". That being said, after this, I am verrrrry cautious to back kickstarter projects that have hype. Chronicles of Elyria looks amazing and I really want to toss my money at it but because of this SC bullsheet I'm just a tad wary.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jst0rm posted:

:yarg: :siren:EVERYONE RECORDING FOR THE STIMPIRE READ THIS:siren: :gary:

When doing your recording try to get into a closet with a lot of clothes if possible. we want quiet space with out reverb. I can remove reverb but its nice to not do that ;)

If not get close to your mic unless it sound weird when doing so (proximity effect on some mics). Weird meaning the low end becomes too boomy.

Record 5 seconds of tone from your mic position in your room. This gives me a long bit of silence for your specific noise and helps removing it.

If you can see the meters in your recording program they should peak around here IF you are recording at 24bit (please record at 24bit):

This is -12dbfs:

If you must record 16bit push to the -3dbfs

EDITING

Edit the files so they have a second after each line and like 40ms at the front.

label the audio files and edit them for your emperor... Make sure you put your initials on the file so you can get credit for your work.

solar_pleb_SHIPNAME_LINE_initials

solar_pleb_CHARACTERNAME_line_initials

solar_pleb_SHIPNAME_ROOMTONE_initials

IF YOU HAVE A BAD MIC YOU CAN STILL BE A SHIP COMPUTER OR SOMETHING BUT THE REAL HUMANS SHOULD BE DONE WITH GOOD MICS.

Fantastic advice

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

hahahahaha thank you what the gently caress Ben sounds like such a dickhead hahahaahhaha, it was faster than I had imagined but woah, props to Batgirl for being so calm and professional

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Eonwe 260 people on the forums have you on ignore. How many thousands of dollars do you think that adds up to in terms of donations to Croberts?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Eonwe 260 people on the forums have you on ignore. How many thousands of dollars do you think that adds up to in terms of donations to Croberts?

KFC Nashville Hot Chicken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
$KFC Nashville Hot Chicken?

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

$KFC Nashville Hot Chicken?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The WTFsaurus guy on twitch is angry about how long star citizen is taking to download. He's stuck at 20 mins.

There is like 4 twitch streamers on 2.3 and they keep breaking. It is funny.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b19fc/ptu_230_published_to_ptu/d15ant9

The on-going peril of turning dreams into reality.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

I'll unblock him in Two Weeks.

He was kidding.

edited Please unlink inverted mouse mode between infantry and vehicles.

Haskell9 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 19, 2016

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

lol these people stilll think individual thrusters matter as opposed to your commando becoming a ship and running around without legs because it's a fps engine for shooty mans, comparing top trumps numbers as if its a real game

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

These are my favorite moments personally.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

Can we use this for ship-to-ship-comms y/n?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmajJTcpNk

That's cool as gently caress but definitely not.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ah yes the cart al can do 650 star metres per second

well thats crap

yayh woah eh did ehp did agreed trhats crap

yues thats very crap :(

whaT happened to this game not beign a pice of poo poo

Who knows better buy more ships

PAAAAAARP

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

TTerrible posted:

Can we use this for ship-to-ship-comms y/n?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohmajJTcpNk

Can't wait to see this implemented in Star Citizen.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Banano posted:

This took far too long for what it is

https://youtu.be/F7M5QnyJHfA

Dude the real quick ones loving kill me.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Gorf, I know I haven't said this before, but between you, Beer, pabz, AP, neurotic Jew and a few others, you guys are the reason I never - ever - skip a page here. Like never. I'm too much of a control freak to think that I may have missed something important coming from you guys. :)

TL;DR you guys are awesome!

ps: Line Of Defense has bigger scenes (stations, carrier) in the same world. No instancing. 256 clients. No sweat. Like Arbys, we've got the tech! :)
I'm genuinely touched. I kid around a lot but (and it amazes me to say this remembering your Usenet antics from ages ago) I consider your efforts to shine light on the fantastic mess that is Star Citizen to be a societal good. Heaven knows the gaming industry is asleep at the switch - as usual. (Or more likely just lacks the stones...)

That you're so comically dastardly about it makes it all the more hilarious. I still crack up when I read your Interstellar Citizens post -- 4000 words of preamble, and then a non-stop assault with backhanded consolations like "of course you will still have your hangar which by the way is entirely unconnected from the game" (or whatever the exact wording was). Still funny- maybe funnier now than ever before.

You are the villain they deserve-- and unfortunately, since they're anti-heroes, you're improbably (if imperfectly) a good guy this time out.

p.s. - I have a backlog of effort posts queuing up-- some with surprises you might enjoy. Two weeks.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Toops posted:

That's cool as gently caress but definitely not.

You clearly know nothing about game development if you think it's acceptable to use that word.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

starkebn posted:

You clearly know nothing about game development if you think it's acceptable to use that word.

Toops you're not far off losing my trust. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

I love cocaine dad show and have missed him.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TTerrible posted:

Toops you're not far off losing my trust. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Don't worry I'm gonna release a new ship on Monday, and it's a free flight week BUY JPED OF SHEP PLES!!!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

starkebn posted:

I no nothing. Game is still pre-pre-pre-alpha so don't fret those no's could turn to yesses on a night of drunk coding.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Banano posted:

This has been the best gimmick in several hundred pages, thank you all for fixing this speech

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Banano posted:

This is some good poo poo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

starkebn posted:

Guys, the last time the thread was really poo poo was when Fuzznot would post recipes and knitting poo poo on every page. Don't bring that back with your guitars and poo poo, please.

<looks around for any indicator you are a moderator unsuccessfully>

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

A Neurotic Jew posted:

he's a $5000+ backer oh lord its just too much

My favorite one so far was when this was posted 100% irony free. Throw this on on the AV pile :p

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6477291/#Comment_6477291

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Thoatse posted:

My favorite one so far was when this was posted 100% irony free. Throw this on on the AV pile :p

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6477291/#Comment_6477291

Hey look, another Sci-Fi Franchise that stole hand over fist from other sources, made far too much money and pissed on the leg of their consumers. :pseudo:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I wish I had been making GBS threads on this back in the hell thread days, but that thread always seemed like a bad place to be. I'm personally shocked at how badly this whole thing is going, since I thought they were gonna poo poo out a lovely and generic game, that worked mostly but had all of the fun of a dry cabbage salad.

I mean, like, lets assume they did actually have the tech and people to make the Idris or one of the giant fuckoff capital ships. In a game like this, what is your design principle for interiors? Massive amounts of open storage space, with large corridors for moving cargo around? Bays of smaller ships like its BSG? Is it filled with the living quarters and necessaries of a real ship that would require thousands of people to run and maintain? How do you meaningful decorate the thousands of rooms that would make up a ship like that? Do you keep to the in game narrative that drives the world?

Or do you design around user interaction? Do you make it easy to navigate? Do you design to be a good cover shooter level? How do you balance the fact that this ships has millions of square feet of real estate, with the fact that you are trying to create spaces for fights involving 64 people (again, we're assuming their poo poo worked as promised)? How does it not turn into a giant game of hide and seek? Or do you just infiltrate and get all the way to the bridge without any warning, so you can actually get the players in the same location? What does that mean for internal security?

And now that you've found the balance in this ship, how do you make a dozen other capital ships that all follow this same philosophy, bit at the same time still feel distinct.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Samizdata posted:

<looks around for any indicator you are a moderator unsuccessfully>

It was a request.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I'm still catching up on the thread but every few thousand posts there is speculation about what Chris Roberts actually had to do with Starlancer.

The story was a little interesting and it segued nicely into Freelancer when the Allies lost in the Sol system to the Axis and evacuated. It was a nice touch in Freelancer if you went far enough out you could find the crashed Allied ship Hispania that gave rise to all the Corsairs and Hispanic Pirates, and why there was a British system, a German System, a Japanese System for the allies that made it successfully. I also remember some of the missions being interesting. So Chris had nothing to do with any of that.

Before every mission you had to wake up in your lovely little room, activate a TV for news, activate a shelf / drawer and then activate a box to see what medals you had earned. There was a training simulator you had to walk over and interact with as well. Then even if you wanted to skip all of that extraneous waste of time bullshit you still had to activate the door and walk down a long hallway toward the briefing room before being briefed. Before every mission.

Even after your traitorous enemy spy that was pretending to be a wingman and rousing motivational speeches from Captain Old "Grizzled" McMilitary I'd say the biggest influence he had was the complete, irritating waste of time those loving rooms were. I never once tried to interact with that poo poo in about ten playthroughs and every time ran straight to the door and it still took minutes to get to the actual missions.

I feel like literally zero gameplay in any game he has ever made has had anything to do with him. The cut content from freelancer was probably eight gigabytes of rendered apartments / cockpits / rooms / shelves / drawers. Want to go mine some lovely silver in Colorado system to get an early start? How about laboriously long animations of GENERIC SPACEMAN crawling into / out of space ships and flipping like a million switches. How about quicktime events to shuffle docking slips. Oh you found that secret wreck with rare loot in the first system? How about getting it requiring five minutes of EVA to float over and press "USE" and float back and go through all of the animations to enter your cockpit.

Microsoft probably cut 90% of Chris' gameplay, leaving the 10% anyone actually cared about. That's why the game is so fun but it seems so incomplete.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
checkin out some new immersionmations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCjdOLMPCYg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

WTFOSAURUS is doing the SF tour and Xi'an Scout.. he spent about 10 minutes in it, complained a lot, and switched over to something else....

• Locked thread