Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I found something completely ridiculous yesterday.

A handsome enough edition, but tantamount to an admission of the series never progressing beyond that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hey man it looks like there's enough room for a blu-ray case. You have to be realistic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What does "GqpM" stand for?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

emanresu tnuocca posted:

quite plump

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering Cersei I could see her decided to go "you know what, gently caress it, my confession was simply to get out of your goddamn torture chambers because you wouldn't accept the truth of my innocence. I recant everything, gently caress you and say hello to my undead champion."

Then Sandor shows up as the champion for the faith and we get zombie Cleganebowl.

I watched the TV series on Netflix years ago and while it seemed like it was trying (and usually failing) to copy the campy feel of Hercules and Xena, these books just sound like some next level poo poo. :stare:

Like in one of the episodes Zed was kidnapped by the BDSM rape witches and he seemed to be slowly getting through to her but richard and the others basically snipe her and she falls off a cliff to her death and either Zed doesn't say anything or nobody cares that she was coming around.

The TV show has the demon chicken in it too at some point but I could only laugh because it was so loving goofy. That probably wasn't the intent though. Do the books also have a part where Richard is apparently able to become a totally amazing god-tier magic user but he decided to quit his training to help his friends right now which somehow also results in his godlike magic powers being lost forever?

...goddamn you people for making me remember that TV show. :sigh:

holy poo poo, there was a tv show? who the hell would even air such a thing?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Song of Tits and Dragons

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone who stripped out most of the creepy poo poo and philosophical grandstanding and made something that was apparently okay.

There's a Let's Read in Trad Games: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668845

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A handsome enough edition, but tantamount to an admission of the series never progressing beyond that point.

Might as well, Stephen King came back from the future to stop GURM from writing the series ending worse than Dark Tower.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

My dad got that for me for Christmas. I prefer the fake-leather bindings since if it's a paperback edition I end up destroying it one way or another.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Sword of Truth chat: I just started reading the series because of you lot. Debt of Bones was ok, I'm about a third of the way into Wizard's First Rule and we've just met the Mud People:

Wizard's First Rule posted:

Mud People never smiled at outsiders until greetings had been exchanged, lest their souls be stolen.

:wtc: It's just going to get worse from here, isn't it??

I_Socom fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 16, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just want to remind everyone of the time a person on his back patting not-a-blog told him they got uncontrollably gooey thinking about Sandor yelling at them and GRRM hurtfully asked if sam's fat pink mast aroused anything in the fairer sex and was met with resounding crickets.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I_Socom posted:

Sword of Truth chat: I just started reading the series because of you lot. Debt of Bones was ok, I'm about a third of the way into Wizard's First Rule and we've just met the Mud People:

I enjoyed the book series and the tv show, and I can say yes. Yes it is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I_Socom posted:

You have no idea

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I_Socom posted:

Have you read the Wheel of Time? He starts stealing from that heavily around where you are, but with way more weird sex stuff and ayn rand bullshit until he ran out of those books to steal from and then it gets unfathomably stupid like everyone forgets a main character exists for some reason and this is a major plot point for 3 loving books.

I apparently haven't read the books that arent sword of truth but are about the main characters? I don't plan to. Actually I had thought Goodkind was dead for some reason.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Collection of GOT S6 spoilers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13m92zm2jETuKlKNj7KVMFtO-Bmwj2HQR7N6y_wBoRWM/edit

I just skimmed like half of it, but two of the items are:

- Flynn (Ricky Champ) is an outlaw, part of a band using religion to justify extorting the people of the countryside

- a character played by Ian McShane interacts with the band; minimal screen time but “key importance”

That's wonderful. I love this planet and its people. I didn't know there was a place called peniscola before.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Collection of GOT S6 spoilers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13m92zm2jETuKlKNj7KVMFtO-Bmwj2HQR7N6y_wBoRWM/edit

I just skimmed like half of it, but two of the items are:

- Flynn (Ricky Champ) is an outlaw, part of a band using religion to justify extorting the people of the countryside

- a character played by Ian McShane interacts with the band; minimal screen time but “key importance”

Shane and a mystery monk are travelling... evil band tries to extort them. Shane acts cocky even through they are out numbered. Mystery monk slays the gently caress out of everyone. Big shock it's sadnorz.Also establishes that Sadnorz will fight for the religion team - important for cleganebowl.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

looks like he's really embracing that whole "American Tolkien" thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Ian McShane is going to play Beric and revive Cat so we get the Stoneheart stuff. We aren't lucky enough to get Sandor but we are hated enough for D&D to think Cat is a beloved character and not a living embodiment of bad ideas and pettiness.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

holy poo poo, there was a tv show? who the hell would even air such a thing?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

Netflix had (has?) it and like I said, it went for the Xena/HErcules campy feel, or at least I hope it was trying to, and it sounds like the show hits a lot of god awful points like the demon chicken. IIRC the tv series ends with Richard and Confessor Lady use some tear of the gods(?) stone to close cracks to the underworld so that the dark lord or w/e he's called couldn't rise up and 1000 years of darkness everything. Also Darken Rahl tricks his way back to life I think?

That actress who played Cara though... :swoon:

Apparently the TV series aired on ABC.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ian McShane is going to play Beric and revive Cat so we get the Stoneheart stuff. We aren't lucky enough to get Sandor but we are hated enough for D&D to think Cat is a beloved character and not a living embodiment of bad ideas and pettiness.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

Netflix had (has?) it and like I said, it went for the Xena/HErcules campy feel, or at least I hope it was trying to, and it sounds like the show hits a lot of god awful points like the demon chicken. IIRC the tv series ends with Richard and Confessor Lady use some tear of the gods(?) stone to close cracks to the underworld so that the dark lord or w/e he's called couldn't rise up and 1000 years of darkness everything. Also Darken Rahl tricks his way back to life I think?

That actress who played Cara though... :swoon:

Apparently the TV series aired on ABC.

That series was 10x better than those awful books. The tv series knows it's campy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aren't those things extremely expensive for what they are?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Aren't those things extremely expensive for what they are?

What's the intrinsic value of a half finished story that will never get concluded by its original author?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Queef puffer

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

:golfclap:

Junkenstein posted:

Looking at it seems he's the monk who's chilling with the Hound?

I thought he was playing Euron. Bollocks, that was one of the few things I was looking forward to.

Nah, Pacey already got the part and is playing Euron.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

I_Socom posted:

Wizard's First Rule was my intro to fantasy and I ended up reading (frequently slogging) through to Naked Empire, book *8*. The author's worldview stuff gets pretty grating but there are some solid action scenes. Al in all, I feel like a well adjusted individual despite the experience.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the action is actually at best mediocre and the good parts are the supporting characters when they are not possessed by the author to spout about objectivism

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bluray came out and Hardhome is still better than the last two books and is the highlight of the show next to Theon loving the ship captain's daughter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Bluray came out and Hardhome is still better than the last two books and is the highlight of the show next to Theon loving the ship captain's daughter.

Lol.

That was a mean gently caress you could see coming a mile away.

If only we could have learned GRRM's plans sooner.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Krinkle posted:

I just want to remind everyone of the time a person on his back patting not-a-blog told him they got uncontrollably gooey thinking about Sandor yelling at them and GRRM hurtfully asked if sam's fat pink mast aroused anything in the fairer sex and was met with resounding crickets.

I would enjoy a link to this conversation.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Mnemosyne posted:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/103284.html?thread=7002740
just scroll down to the comments. I guess one lady who likes sam makes me a liar but it's still a funny exchange.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Confirmation that D&D read Game of Bones:

The song in the season 6 trailer is a cover of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game".

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

Queef puffer

quit producing

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mnemosyne posted:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

quote:

It felt as if Sansa was the one to spark awake a beautiful soul hidden beneath the ashes of doom.

Looks like we already got some better writers for A Clash Of Kinks. Just a-fappin' away in their granny panties.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SaviourX posted:

Looks like we already got some better writers for A Clash Of Kinks. Just a-fappin' away in their granny panties.

I love the loving friendzone comments.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kcroy posted:

I love the loving friendzone comments.

Yeah that dude that is the "best friend" sam is super happy with this situation I'm sure, loving lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jsoh posted:

the action is actually at best mediocre and the good parts are the supporting characters when they are not possessed by the author to spout about objectivism

This sounds like the later Riftwar books, only replace objectivism with cosmic order/the gods/the dread or whatever else Pug and co are talking about for the 9478474th time.

At least the other parts weren't half bad. Hal and Ty's parts of the Chaoswar books were better than any of the poo poo Pug and the conclave was involved in though it still wasn't as good as him just ripping off The Dirty Dozen in the Serpentwar books.

BananaNutkins posted:

That series was 10x better than those awful books. The tv series knows it's campy.

This terrifies me about the books more than ever.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh god, all my Fiest novels are in storage. Truly, the worst unintended consequence of enlistment :negative:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So who all could McShane be bringing back? I was thinking maybe Ser Barristan before I remembered the theory about the traveling priest nursing the Hound back to health. I doubt it'd be Cat because at this point who really cares if Stoneheart shows up, and if she does it'd still need to be Beric or Thoros so she can have the Brotherhood Without Banners backing her up. Unless GRRM has something big planned for her in the next books there's plenty of folks who could fill the role stringing up Brienne.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He plays a former soldier who found peace and said he "brings back a character everyone thought was dead". This fits exactly with the description of the elder brother on the quiet isle bringing back Sandor Clegane. Safe to assume that Sandor's survival will be much more explicit in the show than it is in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He plays a former soldier who found peace and said he "brings back a character everyone thought was dead". This fits exactly with the description of the elder brother on the quiet isle bringing back Sandor Clegane. Safe to assume that Sandor's survival will be much more explicit in the show than it is in the book.

Ah, I'd missed the "former soldier" bit before, I guess that settles it then!