Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

The "puncheon" is a traditional 320 liter cask which, if full, strikes me as more than sufficient weight to anchor your motorcycle to, to prevent theft.

Don’t mind me, just enforcing the Volstead Act enjoying some grand theft auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Leperflesh posted:

A traditional cask could be anywhere from 50 to over 500 liters. Assuming even the smallest 50-liter cask, and assuming sherry's density is close enough to that of water to make no nevermind, a full cask would weigh 50kg plus the weight of the cask. There might be some air in there, the alcohol weighs slightly less than water, but the wood adds weight, so maybe 120 pounds is a decent weight.

A full 500-liter cask would weigh in excess of 1100 pounds.

The "puncheon" is a traditional 320 liter cask which, if full, strikes me as more than sufficient weight to anchor your motorcycle to, to prevent theft.

So what you're implying is that with a full 500L cask, you could easily anchor three motorcycles!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand how you guys haven't figured out out yet. Motorcycles weight 400 lbs on average, without fluids. Just get 2 and tie them together, problem solved ! Need to park on the street, but fear of your hog getting jacked? Pull up to another one, and bring out the chains! The other rider will appreciate the added security and will probably not kick and/or scratch your bike at all! Use a simple trick that concrete manufacturers don't want you to know!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nitrox posted:

I don't understand how you guys haven't figured out out yet. Motorcycles weight 400 lbs on average, without fluids. Just get 2 and tie them together, problem solved ! Need to park on the street, but fear of your hog getting jacked? Pull up to another one, and bring out the chains! The other rider will appreciate the added security and will probably not kick and/or scratch your bike at all! Use a simple trick that concrete manufacturers don't want you to know!

As a representative of the concrete and aggregate industry, gently caress this guy. He will try to kill your kids!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nitrox posted:

If a motorbike weighs 400 lbs already, then surely all you have to do is chain it to itself? Of course the motorbike industry will tell you you need a second but they're just trying to sell more bikes

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

If a motorbike weighs 400 lbs already, then surely all you have to do is chain it to itself? Of course the motorbike industry will tell you you need a second but they're just trying to sell more bikes

The only people I see getting rich here is Big Chains.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pictured: a dapper gentleman and his well‐secured motorbike

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Platystemon posted:

that baller could secure a factory of motorcycles with such magnificent chains.

*not pictured the 400000 pounds of concrete*

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Just imagine where he stores his razor blades

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buff Skeleton posted:

That's the valet's job.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Buff Skeleton posted:

A gentleman of his status does not shave himself

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Is that Isambard Kingdom Brunel?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

Is that Isambard Kingdom Brunel?

Yes. The chains behind him are those of the SS Great Eastern.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

Yes. The chains behind him are those of the SS Great Eastern.

The story of Brunel and the Great Eastern is an amazing story of dreams going sour.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think this picture makes a nice companion to the Brunel photo:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A truly revolutionary toilet design, indeed.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GotLag posted:

I think this picture makes a nice companion to the Brunel photo:

They should really lock that thing to a block of concrete, so that nobody steals the rocket on wheels.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Im still not sure which I admire/am jealous of the Apollo astronauts for more, walking on the moon, or voluntarily riding a loving Saturn V. :black101:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
8 million pounds of thrust and as many posts about it

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

At that point, if they manage to steal it, they can have it.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

:captainpop:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The story of Brunel and the Great Eastern is an amazing story of dreams going sour.

Reading about old ships tells you just how much bigger ships have gotten these days. At 30,000 tons, it is just a baby by modern standards and would probably fit in the Handysize designation, but then it was too big for any yard to build.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bad Munki posted:

Don't tell elon musk that

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You idiots need to get back to posting pictures of dangerous, horrible death traps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

You idiots need to get back to posting pictures of dangerous, horrible death traps.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Multiple wires per lug? Or is there nothing attached on the other side of the breaker above?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 20, 2016

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Multiple wires per lug? Or is there nothing attached on the other side of the breaker above?

110.14 (A) "Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified"

Those are most definitely not multi-conductor lugs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
soyuz doesn't really belong in there tbh

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

eh, soyuz-11 accidentally vented the atmosphere shortly before reentry because 2 rockets fired at the same time instead of sequentially, and soyuz-1's parachutes failed on reentry. Pretty darn good record otherwise though, it's really come a long way. Was just trying to be impartial.

e. Buran's final resting place might be more fitting for this thread though:

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 21, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I never realized it was a full stack in that hangar, thought it was just the orbiter.

:(

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The N-1 is sadder.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Enourmo posted:

I never realized it was a full stack in that hangar, thought it was just the orbiter.

:(

The Energia stack was just a mock up, at least.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mr. Despair posted:

The Energia stack was just a mock up, at least.

Well that's not so bad, still sucks that we lost a cool space thing to lack of money.

See also: skylab 2 and the two unflown Saturn Vs that were fully built and ready to go. at least those are all still around in museums.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

My uncle works for NASA and he told me something I thought you might find interesting. v:shobon:v

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

My uncle works for NASA and he told me something I thought you might find interesting. v:shobon:v

See, I know you're being facetious because Hadfield works for the Canadian space agency, not NASA :spergin:

Also, christ, can we let that stupid loving concrete go already??

E: on the depressing crappy construction side, challenger blew up because it was too cold for some rubber o rings to seal, and several of the engineers knew that would be a problem and begged NASA not to launch. However, there was so much pressure to go ahead from Reagan's administration because his state of the union address was the next day, so they went ahead with predictable results

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 21, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

See, I know you're being facetious because Hadfield works for the Canadian space agency, not NASA :spergin:

It's the only thing keeping this thread from being jacked.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bad Munki posted:

Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

OSU_Matthew posted:

E: on the depressing crappy construction side, challenger blew up because it was too cold for some rubber o rings to seal, and several of the engineers knew that would be a problem and begged NASA not to launch. However, there was so much pressure to go ahead from Reagan's administration because his state of the union address was the next day, so they went ahead with predictable results

Here's Richard Feynman's Minority Report on the Challenger disaster. It's a good read.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/51-l/docs/rogers-commission/Appendix-F.txt