Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sleeveless posted:

As somebody who has had many pet rats over the years the way they kept using regular white rats as "zombie" rats up until this ep has been adorably :effort:

Helix did something similar, they kept using normal hairless rats to play diseased rats and they were just adorable :3:

That makes sense though. Rats are too fastidious to make cosmetics practical. Even when they just grease them up to make them look scary for scenes in sewers the little ratties spend half their time on camera furiously bathing, trying to get the oil off rather than doing anything remotely scary. CGI Rat was okay for a few seconds, but having all the zombie rats CGI all the time would just look like a demented disney special.

In this version of zombieism a well-fed zombie just looks like an albino. So albino rats are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

esperterra posted:

Truth. I've always wanted a pet Ratigan but I've always had cats growing up. The cat I have now is terrified of mice tho so maybe a rat would be in no danger.

I had a cat who was a pro mouser. He once moved into the hardware store/lumber yard across the street and spent a happy couple days running around the store ceiling having an all you can eat mouse buffet. This ended when a ceiling tile gave way and surprised everyone with a panicked cat landing in the middle of the store. (No one knows how he got into the ceiling to begin with.)

While away a college I was lonely and got a pet rat. When I took him home a few months later there was a scary moment when my cat jumped up on the bed when the rat was already there. Rat launched himself at cat, scaring cat off the bed and out of the room, leaving the victorious rat with a mouthful of floof (he didn't manage to actually bite the skin, just the fur). No one was injured, but the cat carefully avoided the rat from then on. Of course this was a full grown male rat, nearly a full pound of rat, compared to the tiny thumb-size mice that kitty was used to massacring.

I had a few other rats over the years. All of them would launch themselves at the bars of the cage like a berserker if a cat got too close. Prey drive was never strong enough for well-fed house cats to bother trying to mess with these gigantic monstrous "mice". Obviously some cats are ratters, but not all cats.

Rats are too sad to keep as pets though. Way too much personality to burn out and die in just a couple years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cats eat mice, rats eat cats. That's the way of the world.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Angela Christine posted:

That makes sense though. Rats are too fastidious to make cosmetics practical. Even when they just grease them up to make them look scary for scenes in sewers the little ratties spend half their time on camera furiously bathing, trying to get the oil off rather than doing anything remotely scary. CGI Rat was okay for a few seconds, but having all the zombie rats CGI all the time would just look like a demented disney special.

In this version of zombieism a well-fed zombie just looks like an albino. So albino rats are fine.

I wasn't seriously complaining about it, mostly just amused that something so cute and harmless is used as a scary thing so often. At least they're not as bad about dubbing over constant squeaks every time one is on screen the way a lot of shows are.

Cojawfee posted:

Cats eat mice, rats eat cats. That's the way of the world.

Rats eat mice too!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My older cat loved our old house because he was forever finding little nests of baby mice to "hunt", and one day I found him in the backyard with a rat far bigger than his head in his mouth looking the proudest I'd ever seen him. He had no idea what to do with it, though, and when I managed to get him to drop it the thing sprinted for the hills, never to be seen again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if the undercover cop reveal means Drake is here to stay.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this? posted:

I would guess the opposite, that it was introduced to make him more sympathetic so that when he gets killed off it will be more affecting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

I would guess the opposite, that it was introduced to make him more sympathetic so that when he gets killed off it will be more affecting.

I feel like it could go either way, and also that it exists for dramatic irony if/when Liv drops him because she's under the impression he's a hardened criminal.

Probably going to die though.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

esperterra posted:

I feel like it could go either way, and also that it exists for dramatic irony if/when Liv drops him because she's under the impression he's a hardened criminal.

Probably going to die though.

He's already dead. I think we keep forgetting they're zombies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We've already seen a zombie die. We'll just have to see how this plot with Mr boss and Blaine goes down.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

Gif palate cleanser time!

I know the guys are joking around, but thanks to that utopium experimentation awhile back those answers could also be 100% honest.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Missing Link posted:

Undead.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

i love drake's character in general. the mix of four way duplicitous spy, beefcake, and mamma's boy is, uh, unique, but it definitely works for me

and i got to see blaine shirtless again. i should have caught up sooner

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

The Missing Link posted:

I know the show uses the word "undead" but its zombies seem to be alive and well. They may be some kind of mutant, but they're certainly not dead. That they can even consider the possibility of a cure that doesn't turn the body into a lifeless corpse proves that, I think?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They can 'survive' being frozen in an airless container for weeks at a time, not to mention shrugging off bullet wounds to the more important bits not the brain. They may be alive, but not in the way normal people are.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Zombies on the show are basically vampires, and they're alive in the same way vampires "are".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they eat brains, they stay "alive." If they don't eat any brains, they turn into a traditional zombie. Do we know if a brainless zombie can turn back into a more human like zombie? The previous test seemed to fail but I don't know if Ravi ever tried any more experiments.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Max Rager has traditional zombies that aren't changing back after eating brains, so I think it's permanent.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
So the next episode is not going to air for another 3 weeks? What am I going to do with myself :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still want a zombie to try eating cow brain or whatever. They would probably be chill as gently caress when they got a vision.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A cow vision would probably just be staring at grass for five minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I still want a zombie to try eating cow brain or whatever. They would probably be chill as gently caress when they got a vision.

I have to imagine that Ravi tried that during his whole bit where he was running tests on Liv.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

And when Major got turned he specifically mentioned hunger for human brains.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

raditts posted:

And when Major got turned he specifically mentioned hunger for human brains.

Where's the line, though? Would a chimp work? Or a monkey, or maybe a rodent? Or maybe it's about level of cognition, and a dolphin would work. Ravi should conduct a phylogenetic study.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xealot posted:

Where's the line, though? Would a chimp work? Or a monkey, or maybe a rodent? Or maybe it's about level of cognition, and a dolphin would work. Ravi should conduct a phylogenetic study.

Also, they've probably mentioned this before, but what do zombie rats eat? That one super zombie rat really wanted a piece of Ravi and Major, so they probably want human brains, but do they rat brains as well. If so, why are they more omnivorous than humans?

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, they've probably mentioned this before, but what do zombie rats eat? That one super zombie rat really wanted a piece of Ravi and Major, so they probably want human brains, but do they rat brains as well. If so, why are they more omnivorous than humans?
Maybe the more advanced the brain, the more appetizing it is? So for a rat, human would be way more appealing, and likewise human zombies might prefer a super-intelligent alien life form's brain if they could sink their teeth into it.

"Mmm, Time Lord..."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think they just attack humans because they're hyper-aggressive, not because they want human brains.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Well, rats and mice are used in studies because of the physiological similarities between their brains and humans, so maybe a big ol' pile of rat brains would work in a pinch?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, but then you take on the personality of a hundred rats.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, but then you take on the personality of a hundred rats.

Liv chews apart a cereal box and then spends the rest of the day sleeping in a hammock.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Season 3 :woop:: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-renews-11-series-including-874569

Show's firing on all cylinders right now, and I couldn't be more happy.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

drainpipe posted:

Season 3 :woop:: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cw-renews-11-series-including-874569

Yesssss! Really excited Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are back too. We need to make threads for those shows next time, they're really fun!

Also lol Supernatural is never going to end. Those dudes are going to be doing season 65 from the retirement home.

vv Oh sweet! Goin' there now

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 11, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FoxTerrier posted:

Yesssss! Really excited Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend are back too. We need to make threads for those shows next time, they're really fun!

There's a Crazy-Ex Girlfriend thread. I'm not sure about Jane the Virgin.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yay iZombie!

Crazy Ex season 1 thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749772

Jane the Virgin season 2 thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746507

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

drainpipe posted:

Best news for sure. CW has really been kicking rear end as of late and as a 31YO male I am much less embarrassed to admit it has the lions share of my television viewing.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Best news for sure. CW has really been kicking rear end as of late and as a 31YO male I am much less embarrassed to admit it has the lions share of my television viewing.

They're like a broadcast channel magnet for sci-fi and drama, it's actually kinda bizarre.

...they've actually kind of always been that magnet, what with Roswell, Buffy, Popular, Charmed, Gilmore Girls, Sabrina, Smallville, etc. they just declined into full soap opera hell with poo poo like the never-ending One Tree Hill and Tarzan. :whitewater:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Combed Thunderclap posted:

They're like a broadcast channel magnet for sci-fi and drama, it's actually kinda bizarre.

...they've actually kind of always been that magnet, what with Roswell, Buffy, Popular, Charmed, Gilmore Girls, Sabrina, Smallville, etc. they just declined into full soap opera hell with poo poo like the never-ending One Tree Hill and Tarzan. :whitewater:

I would never begrudge a small network finding it's place with niche programming even if I don't care for some of it. Especially since they're giving me so many shows that I'm finding entertaining.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I love that they've always been pretty willing to give a small show with a weird niche and a dedicated audience a chance to develop into something instead of shuffling it to a death slot and killing it in one season. Yeah, they've had some stinkers but most of it has been pretty entertaining TV. I also like that despite casting mostly ridiculously young and ridiculously hot, they're also really good at finding actors with actual talent. I've been watching Shadowhunters, which seems like CW-grade material as far as the source material and plot go, but whew, are the actors terrible. Makes a huge difference!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Hopefully it will be a longer season like this one, those 12 episode seasons that so many shows have these days annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Just marathoned the entire series while having the flu, it was a lot of fun! I'm not going to like waiting week to week when the series comes back live.

Favorite things:

- Liv's brother hired by Blaine being a total fake-out. I thought for sure he'd get zombified and the cure would have to be used on him. Instead he was totally meaningless to the plot in any way except to get blown up by being in the wrong place at the wrong time... and then proceed to be completely useless in season 2 when he got a brief mention in two episodes.

- 30-Rock references, since I just finished rewatching it.

- Major not falling into the "clueless, well-meaning, ultimately understanding boyfriend" trope by having his own side-plot. I feel like most shows would have had his B-plot be totally unrelated and uninteresting.

- The dynamic between the three villains, which plays out sort of like a superhero movie fitting in a bunch of villains. I have an irrational hatred for Steven Weber though, just think he's a terrible actor, and his character is way too over the top. Killing someone across the world because they made a bad tweet about your company's energy drink that fourteen people saw? Come on.

- Aside from Steven Weber's, all the characters are great. Really hard to pick a favorite.

I'm starting to wonder why Babineaux doesn't ever mention that Liv seems to get into the personality of whoever she's investigating the death of. An "I'm really good at getting inside the heads of people" chameleon-level ability would be more reasonable and a fantastic pun compared to "I'm a psychic". But hey I'm looking for realism in a show about zombies where the main actress dyes her hair and throws some powder on her face, so don't mind me. (Mid-post-edit: Apparently Babineaux did point this out and I don't remember it? Can someone explain?)

And the zombie "cure" not being a cure but a temporary reversal seems fine. Lots of people take shots every day for diseases like diabetes or whatever, surely a shot every other month is live-with-able.

• Locked thread