Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Hate crimes exist at the federal level, correct? This makes it possible to charge someone with a crime when local or state authorities start looking like they will sweep it under the rug. This seems like an argument in favor of keeping hate crimes as a separate offense rather than as a sentencing enhancement to an ordinary crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jarmak posted:

No, just California

Could have sworn it was banned elsewhere too, but looking it up you're right, just California.

Edit: knew it was thrown out in the Mathew Shepard case, but its cuz the judge considered it basically a temp insanity defense, which isn't recognized in Wyoming.

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 19, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Grundulum posted:

Hate crimes exist at the federal level, correct? This makes it possible to charge someone with a crime when local or state authorities start looking like they will sweep it under the rug. This seems like an argument in favor of keeping hate crimes as a separate offense rather than as a sentencing enhancement to an ordinary crime.

The Fed's ability to get jurisdiction, particularly for gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability hate crimes is somewhat limited.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/249

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jarmak posted:

I have yet to find a single instance of the gay panic defence being used successfully in the us. The first time it was used that I can find, in 1987, the defendant was executed.

The murder of Gwen Araujo and the subsequent trial (trials, actually. The jury was hung on the first one!) where her murderers were held to lesser charges was actually the impetus for these laws.

quote:

At the party, she was discovered, by forced inspection (conducted by Brown) to be a transgender woman, following which the men with whom she had sexual relations became enraged and violent. Magidson, after vomiting, put her in a chokehold. Later, he punched her in the face and began to choke her, but was pulled off by others. At some point after that, Paul Merél, Emmanuel Merél, and Brown left the house. José Merél struck her in the head with a can of food and a frying pan. Nabors and Cazares left in Magidson's truck to go to Cazares's house to get shovels and a pickaxe.

When Nabors and Cazares returned, Araujo was still conscious and sitting on the couch. At some point, the assault resumed. Magidson kneed her in the head against the living room wall, rendering her unconscious. Cazares kicked her. After this, she was taken to the garage of the home. Nabors testified that Magidson strangled her with a rope and that Cazares struck her with a shovel, but Magidson testified that it was Nabors who strangled her and struck her with the shovel, and Cazares testified that he never struck her and did not see her die. She was then hog-tied, wrapped in a blanket, and placed in the bed of a pick-up truck. They then drove her body four hours away and buried her near the Sierra Nevada mountains. Her disappearance and murder went unreported for days. It is not clear at what point during this sequence of events her death occurred. However, the autopsy showed that she died from strangulation associated with blunt force trauma to the head.

A brutal, premeditated killing that required multiple hours and multiple people taking the time to gather supplies, and then coordinating to dispose of the body.

Second-degree murder and manslaughter. Hate crime charges were dropped. One of the killers only got six years for this.

joat mon posted:

The defense does not excuse murder, but is an argument for lesser culpability. For example in the California trans panic cases, the jurors (eventually) found second degree murder, and another pled to manslaughter.

It's not that murdering trans people isn't punished the same way (it is, it's even under the same statute) it's that in any murder prosecution a defendant can assert a defense that may result in a conviction for a lesser degree of murder. It doesn't mean that the victim's friends, family or sympathizers can't feel angry about the result, but nor does it mean that the law must be changed to placate their upset, constitution be damned.

Read the description of that murder above and tell me if a young cisgendered woman had gone through that that the charges would have been 2nd-degree and manslaughter. The jury would have thrown the drat book at them.

California is addressing a discrepancy in how society treats trans-people. The accused will not lose access to any defense they might have had their crime been committed against a cisgendered person. They only lose access to a defense rooted in bigotry towards trans-people and society's acceptance of that bigotry.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

joat mon posted:

... I don't think hatecrime as it presently exists will lead to a Socially Unacceptable Belief Registration Act. (Though it would have a sexier, much disguised acronym)
I'm not saying that any of the frameworks mentioned are good (they're not, they all fail anglo-american jurisprudence or the Constitution in some way) it just that there are different ways it could be justified.
From pages ago, but:

Communally Offensive Belief Registration Act.

(note: I'm only using Jarmak's avatar because of what it is, I don't think he'd actually go for such a thing or would even bother using it in this arguement)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It blows my mind that in the year 2016 there are still people arguing against hate crime laws.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh it's really easy to do when you're a straight white male who will never be the victim of prejudice or violence because of the mere fact of your existence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On the one hand, I can see the logic in doling out punishment and the like based on actual harm done, irrespective of any sort of intent...on the face of it, that seems fair and reasonable.

But on the other, I can also see the logic behind singling out crimes motivated purely by, as others have said, a blatant rejection of the rights of 'other' groups....i dunno...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But intent is also the difference between manslaughter and murder. Intent has to form part of the legal system or you'll have innocent people being jailed.

Hate crime legislation is like protected class and equal opportunity measures. It shouldn't have to exist but we're nowhere near living in a world where we can put it behind us.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

joat mon posted:

The defense does not excuse murder, but is an argument for lesser culpability. For example in the California trans panic cases, the jurors (eventually) found second degree murder, and another pled to manslaughter.

It's not that murdering trans people isn't punished the same way (it is, it's even under the same statute) it's that in any murder prosecution a defendant can assert a defense that may result in a conviction for a lesser degree of murder. It doesn't mean that the victim's friends, family or sympathizers can't feel angry about the result, but nor does it mean that the law must be changed to placate their upset, constitution be damned.

Actually the law needing to be altered as society changes in order to remain able to protect the vulnerable is the entire point of the way our system is set up. It's not so much 'constitution be damned' as it is 'the literal point of giving the legislative branch the powers it has'.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think my eyes just glazed over the last three pages. I genuinely tried to read the argument against hate crime laws and then my brain slid off the page.

Maybe it's part of my natural "living in Alabama" defense.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think my eyes just glazed over the last three pages. I genuinely tried to read the argument against hate crime laws and then my brain slid off the page.

Maybe it's part of my natural "living in Alabama" defense.

But don't you see?!? THOUGHTCRIMES!!!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

hangedman1984 posted:

But don't you see?!? THOUGHTCRIMES*!!!

*Posters may or may not actually know what thoughtcrimes are.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jivjov posted:

On the one hand, I can see the logic in doling out punishment and the like based on actual harm done, irrespective of any sort of intent...on the face of it, that seems fair and reasonable.

I do too, but only in an ideal world where it doesn't matter if the victim is gay or trans. we don't live in that world and to be frank never will

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why is banning the gay panic defense such a bad thing other than "that's not how it's typically done?" Even if it's not used successfully very often it's troubling that it's still employed so often, I don't see why it shouldn't just be taken off the table entirely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jivjov posted:

Isn't this explicitly banned in a lot of places?
Edit: I have been corrected by my trans friend...a comprehensive list of states that ban trans panic defenses:

California

It doesn't have to be explicitly banned to not be valid. Many states haven't accepted them as "valid" defenses in a decade or more, and occasionally attempting to use the defense is used as further proof the defendant needs to be punished - particularly if this was brought up in a case where a hate crime law applies.

Yardbomb posted:

What? Why would you not be upset, jesus christ.

"I murdered this person because they're a fuckin fag your honor" SHOULD be such a lovely, inhuman defense that it's just explicitly not accepted. gently caress em, the violent bigots shouldn't be the ones getting off-handed back pats on "But thoughtcrime! Punishing them for their views!", their views are garbage, much like their character.

Most invalid defenses don't actually have laws against them. There's no law against, say, defending your murder by saying "but the guy I killed was a Jew/had red hair/ate pineapples/didn't like Morrissey". But you're pretty much never going to get out with a no crime or a lesser charge for trying those. Same goes with trying a trans/gay panic "defense" in a lot of states.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you said for instance that you were afraid the black teen was about to hulk out and make himself able to block your gunfire with his muscles, why you'd be laughed off into prison!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Man I guess there must be some news on the marriage equality front. I wonder what Roy Moore did this time, there's over 5 pages of posts!

Oh...:yikes:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jivjov posted:

How do you feel about conspiracy charges?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

How do you feel about conspiracy charges?

How do you mean?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Man I guess there must be some news on the marriage equality front. I wonder what Roy Moore did this time, there's over 5 pages of posts!

Oh...:yikes:

Roy Moore doesn't like the American Bar Association's proposed rules that make harassment and discrimination on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status or socioeconomic status while being a lawyer.
http://m.wvtm13.com/news/moore-speaks-out-against-suggested-ethical-misconduct-rules/38585660

The Alabama Senate passed a bill that would get the state out of the marriage licensing business and only do recording of marriages performed elsewhere.
https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB143/2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, if you said for instance that you were afraid the black teen was about to hulk out and make himself able to block your gunfire with his muscles, why you'd be laughed off into prison!

Yes florida is stupid. That doesn't mean the same thing would work in say, Hawaii.

You would also never have a law specifically against it either.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 19, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jivjov posted:

How do you mean?

Conspiracy to commit X. You don't have to do X, just plan to do so. Do you think it should be a criminal charge, though it doesn't require any act that is itself criminal?

Or consider employment law. If I have 3 people on a team facing layoffs, I can't lay off Jane just because she's a woman, but I can lay her off if I choose randomly. Only difference is why I perform the act, not what the act is. Acceptable?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

Conspiracy to commit X. You don't have to do X, just plan to do so. Do you think it should be a criminal charge, though it doesn't require any act that is itself criminal?

Or consider employment law. If I have 3 people on a team facing layoffs, I can't lay off Jane just because she's a woman, but I can lay her off if I choose randomly. Only difference is why I perform the act, not what the act is. Acceptable?

Yeah, that's exactly why it's such a sticky situation...

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

But that is exactly what businesses do? Fabricate a reason to lay off the person they want to get rid of, often by selective enforcement of the rules.
It's not easy to prove unless someone fucks up and writes something down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Aleph Null posted:

But that is exactly what businesses do? Fabricate a reason to lay off the person they want to get rid of, often by selective enforcement of the rules.
It's not easy to prove unless someone fucks up and writes something down.

I was addressing the legal situation of motivation affecting legality, not whether the laws we have of that nature are universally effective. It's not easy to prove a hate crime either, unless someone fucks up and yells a slur. Conspiracies can be hard too. Are you saying that difficulty in enforcement means they should be taken off the books?

(But what rule enforcement affects layoffs? If someone is in violation of policy you fire them, you don't lay them off.)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Conspiracy to commit X. You don't have to do X, just plan with one or more other people to do so.
Fixed.
In addition to two or more people planning together, most jurisdictions also require an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 19, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

joat mon posted:

Fixed.
In addition to two or more people planning together, most jurisdictions also require an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy.

Sure, I don't think that contradicts my point, which is that you don't need to commit a criminal act (the overt act, if required, need not be itself criminal or even harmful) but instead just have made a plan with someone. It's the intent -- the motivation for creating a plan and making the possibly-harmless overt act -- that lies at the core of the crime.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Grundulum posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a big part of the rationale. Hate crime statutes allow the feds to step in where state authorities have a long history of toothlessness or outright complicity with acts of violence against unpopular minorities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Now you're trying to make a tone argument? I haven't mischaracterized anything, you however have shown repeatedly and without exception that you lack either the capacity and/or the education/training to participate in any sort of legal discussion with a level of nuance above "this is my desired outcome" so I guess I'm not surprised you don't understand?

No it's not a tone argument, you're just wrong, and this is pretty hilarious from someone who is appealing to Orwell because he doesn't understand either what thoughtcrime is or what the justifications for hate crime laws actually are.

The crime is depriving groups of people of their civil rights. Attacking or murdering people for participating in basic functions of civil society like voting, politically organizing, living and working, worshipping, marrying, raising a family, etc goes beyond an ordinary crime; it destroys the core parts of our open democratic society. The first 200 years of American history is a lesson that reluctance to ensure everyone can exercise their civil rights in safety, free of intimidation from private groups or individuals makes the constitution's guarantee of republican government and individual rights meaningless. Okay, that's the crime: depriving people of their civil rights, not "doing something illegal while being a bigot".

That's why motivation from animus against the group for their race, religion, sex, national origin, orientation, or whatever is part of the mens rea. If you lynch someone or throw acid in their face for cutting you off in traffic or for stealing your lawnmower that doesn't intimidate anyone else into relinquishing the exercise of their civil rights out of fear. Even if it turns out later that you were a white supremacist, if it's not the reason you committed the crime, it's not a hate crime and it's not a threat to anyone else's civil rights. If you do it because it's a black person voting or a gay couple getting married, it is.

Argue that it's unnecessary if you want and that judge's discretion is all that's necessary to handle it*, but it's not loving thoughtcrime, it's not making mens rea into the crime, it's not punishing people for Bad Thoughts or any of that.

*I'd still disagree, because the nature of widespread prejudice is that the justice system is administrated by people and that prejudice is corrupting. If the problem is that judges tacitly approve of the crime and are using their discretion to give lesser sentences or local juries are just nullifying then "oh well judges can use their discretion to give harsher sentences" isn't much of a solution

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 21, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ordinary crime already deprives people of their civil and human rights.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

I was addressing the legal situation of motivation affecting legality, not whether the laws we have of that nature are universally effective. It's not easy to prove a hate crime either, unless someone fucks up and yells a slur. Conspiracies can be hard too. Are you saying that difficulty in enforcement means they should be taken off the books?

(But what rule enforcement affects layoffs? If someone is in violation of policy you fire them, you don't lay them off.)

My dad was friends with this old white guy (since deceased) in Mississippi. He owned his own small business and needed an admin assistant.
He asked the staffing agency why they kept sending black woman because he intended to hire a white woman. Obviously, all hell broke loose. He didn't get it at all. In his mind, he was just being honest and thought he was saving everybody's time. In the end, he had to interview black woman that he had no intention of hiring.
Is that a better outcome? Should he have been fined or jailed for hiring a white girl anyway?
The best option would be "don't be an old racist," but he was way past that possibility.

The laws are absolutely needed. This old white guy was 100% in the wrong. At the same time, what black woman enjoys working for someone that they know for a fact thinks they are less of a person than a white lady?

It's complicated.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Ordinary crime already deprives people of their civil and human rights.

The immediate victims yes.

Hate crimes deprive whole segments of society of their civil rights because they intimidate people into ceding the exercise of them.

You don't have to lynch every single would-be black voter to suppress their voting rights through fear. You don't have to bash every gay person to keep them from participating equally on civic life.

The government has an interest in preventing that, and that's the justification for laws against this kind of antisocial crime.

E: That's the justification anyway. Maybe it's superfluous (it's not) but it's not thoughtcrime.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 21, 2016

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

My dad was friends with this old white guy (since deceased) in Mississippi. He owned his own small business and needed an admin assistant.
He asked the staffing agency why they kept sending black woman because he intended to hire a white woman. Obviously, all hell broke loose. He didn't get it at all. In his mind, he was just being honest and thought he was saving everybody's time. In the end, he had to interview black woman that he had no intention of hiring.
Is that a better outcome? Should he have been fined or jailed for hiring a white girl anyway?
The best option would be "don't be an old racist," but he was way past that possibility.

The laws are absolutely needed. This old white guy was 100% in the wrong. At the same time, what black woman enjoys working for someone that they know for a fact thinks they are less of a person than a white lady?

It's complicated.

Its...not that complicated? He shouldn't be jailed but I would be 100% behind him being fined. You don't get to be a racist poo poo who intentionally discriminates against black people just because "welp, you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

It's complicated.

There is a reason "Why would you even want to stay at a hotel that doesn't want black people there" wasn't a convincing argument.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

No it's not a tone argument, you're just wrong, and this is pretty hilarious from someone who is appealing to Orwell because he doesn't understand either what thoughtcrime is or what the justifications for hate crime laws actually are.

The crime is depriving groups of people of their civil rights. Attacking or murdering people for participating in basic functions of civil society like voting, politically organizing, living and working, worshipping, marrying, raising a family, etc goes beyond an ordinary crime; it destroys the core parts of our open democratic society. The first 200 years of American history is a lesson that reluctance to ensure everyone can exercise their civil rights in safety, free of intimidation from private groups or individuals makes the constitution's guarantee of republican government and individual rights meaningless. Okay, that's the crime: depriving people of their civil rights, not "doing something illegal while being a bigot".

That's why motivation from animus against the group for their race, religion, sex, national origin, orientation, or whatever is part of the mens rea. If you lynch someone or throw acid in their face for cutting you off in traffic or for stealing your lawnmower that doesn't intimidate anyone else into relinquishing the exercise of their civil rights out of fear. Even if it turns out later that you were a white supremacist, if it's not the reason you committed the crime, it's not a hate crime and it's not a threat to anyone else's civil rights. If you do it because it's a black person voting or a gay couple getting married, it is.

Argue that it's unnecessary if you want and that judge's discretion is all that's necessary to handle it*, but it's not loving thoughtcrime, it's not making mens rea into the crime, it's not punishing people for Bad Thoughts or any of that.

*I'd still disagree, because the nature of widespread prejudice is that the justice system is administrated by people and that prejudice is corrupting. If the problem is that judges tacitly approve of the crime and are using their discretion to give lesser sentences or local juries are just nullifying then "oh well judges can use their discretion to give harsher sentences" isn't much of a solution

VitalSigns posted:

The immediate victims yes.

Hate crimes deprive whole segments of society of their civil rights because they intimidate people into ceding the exercise of them.

You don't have to lynch every single would-be black voter to suppress their voting rights through fear. You don't have to bash every gay person to keep them from participating equally on civic life.

The government has an interest in preventing that, and that's the justification for laws against this kind of antisocial crime.

E: That's the justification anyway. Maybe it's superfluous (it's not) but it's not thoughtcrime.

Most of this is hard to follow because you don't seem to understand how sentencing works, what mens rea is, or that deprivation of rights is pretty much the core attribute of any crime committed against individual(s). But you seem to (hilariously) be attempting to mock me for not understanding a justification that I was the first to bring up and discus in this thread, pages ago.

Aleph Null posted:

It's complicated.

VitalSigns posted:

There is a reason "Why would you even want to stay at a hotel that doesn't want black people there" wasn't a convincing argument.

This isn't remotely related to hate crime laws and is covered by a completely different set of anti-discrimination laws.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Most of this is hard to follow because you don't seem to understand how sentencing works, what mens rea is, or that deprivation of rights is pretty much the core attribute of any crime committed against individual(s).

I said that all crimes deprive their immediate victims of civil rights, do you have trouble reading or something?

The justification for prosecuting hate crimes is because their effects go beyond the immediate victims and their families and intimidate whole communities into reluctance to exercise their civil rights.

Jarmak posted:

But you seem to (hilariously) be attempting to mock me for not understanding a justification that I was the first to bring up and discus in this thread, pages ago.

And yet either you don't understand the justification because you keep calling it thoughtcrime, or you do and were just being hyperbolic with this Orwell crap.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Cool, 3 days later and we're still arguing about hate crimes :v:

Okay, here's my next hot take:
As a community, we have a collective obligation to use our laws to establish what is not acceptable. Theft is not acceptable; murder is not acceptable; assault is not acceptable... and so on. In areas where hate crime legislation exists, that is a statement from the community that, furthermore in addition to the usual poo poo, it is not acceptable to enact violence on a racial or social minority as a way of deepening their oppression and/or marginalization.

It's not like it doesn't hit trial. The case evidence still has to show that, for example, a couple of muslims were shot execution-style in order to make an example of them.

Conversely, there are some states, like Georgia, that lack hate crime legislation. That is the community's way of saying, "Sure, whatever, we don't care. Keep terrorizing those blacks and queers! We only give a poo poo because we found a body, dummy."
It's different cultures :shrug:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I said that all crimes deprive their immediate victims of civil rights, do you have trouble reading or something?

The justification for prosecuting hate crimes is because their effects go beyond the immediate victims and their families and intimidate whole communities into reluctance to exercise their civil rights.

We have ordinary crimes that cover that too, which if you actually bothered to read the thread you would know because...

VitalSigns posted:

And yet either you don't understand the justification because you keep calling it thoughtcrime, or you do and were just being hyperbolic with this Orwell crap.

...I went into that as the main reason I didn't think that was a good framework to justify/operate hatecrime laws under.

edit:

deadly_pudding posted:

Cool, 3 days later and we're still arguing about hate crimes :v:

Okay, here's my next hot take:
As a community, we have a collective obligation to use our laws to establish what is not acceptable. Theft is not acceptable; murder is not acceptable; assault is not acceptable... and so on. In areas where hate crime legislation exists, that is a statement from the community that, furthermore in addition to the usual poo poo, it is not acceptable to enact violence on a racial or social minority as a way of deepening their oppression and/or marginalization.

It's not like it doesn't hit trial. The case evidence still has to show that, for example, a couple of muslims were shot execution-style in order to make an example of them.

Conversely, there are some states, like Georgia, that lack hate crime legislation. That is the community's way of saying, "Sure, whatever, we don't care. Keep terrorizing those blacks and queers! We only give a poo poo because we found a body, dummy."
It's different cultures :shrug:

Not really, Vitalsigns just decided to come in here and spew a bunch unintelligible gibberish 3 days later while trying to rewind the thread back to when people were ignoring the fact I was trying to make a structural argument rather then trying to legalize lynching.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > HATE CRIMES HATE CRIMES HATE CRIMES HATE CRIMES

I take it nothing new has happened.

Jarmak posted:

We have ordinary crimes that cover that too, which if you actually bothered to read the thread you would know because...

...I went into that as the main reason I didn't think that was a good framework to justify/operate hatecrime laws under.

edit:

Not really, Vitalsigns just decided to come in here and spew a bunch unintelligible gibberish 3 days later while trying to rewind the thread back to when people were ignoring the fact I was trying to make a structural argument rather then trying to legalize lynching.

You are both equally boring. I think you are boring and also wrong, but you have managed to ramble me out of caring about hate crimes somehow.

• Locked thread