Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

That's an ad hominem attack.

justify your posting

e; March 19th, 1649 – The House of Commons of England passes an act abolishing the House of Lords, declaring it "useless and dangerous to the people of England".

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Pissflaps do you even bother taking the goalposts off the truck or do you have an entire team ready to move them at a moment's notice?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No goalposts have been moved.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

His resignation.

Who should replace him?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Glokta posted:

Who should replace him?

Almost anyone else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Glokta posted:

Who should replace him?
Diane Abbott.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wonder how the Labour right wing would have been able to capitalise if they were in charge today.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/12/labour-benefits-tories-labour-rachel-reeves-welfare

quote:

Labour will be tougher than Tories on benefits, promises new welfare chief

Oh.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Almost anyone else.

James Corden? Ian Brady? Do you have a shortlist?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

No goalposts have been moved.

What is your definition of "Do" in this context if calling for the Chancellor's resignation is not something he "Do".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT Long March 2016 - Skip Pages 88-115 where we try to get Pissflaps to define the word 'Do'

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

What is your definition of "Do" in this context if calling for the Chancellor's resignation is not something he "Do".

I'm disappointed you didn't link to the tweet again to really drive home the impact of what he do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so with this insane amount of infighting with the tories if having the EU referendum this year a good or bad thing with a general election a way off?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do do do do what I do do

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

I wonder how the Labour right wing would have been able to capitalise if they were in charge today.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/oct/12/labour-benefits-tories-labour-rachel-reeves-welfare

Oh.

Jesus, you scared me for a moment there until I checked the date.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

so with this insane amount of infighting with the tories if having the EU referendum this year a good or bad thing with a general election a way off?

Depends how vicious the infighting is and whether Remain wins. If both sides are super bitter about how this has been done or we Leave then it's going to be a very very shaky government, possibly lots of rebellions particularly as the economy goes bad and more cuts are to be put on groups even Tories have to treat as vulnerable, possibly Cameron ends up going very soon. Otherwise they'll smooth it over by the election.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

The plan is clearly to have their fighting here then win the referendum and have a few years for things to simmer down. Problem for them is that the EU referendum is likely to be as successful at that as the Scotland referendum was at quieting the SNP.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Depends. Cameron set the referendum as early in the cycle as possible knowing that no matter what the result it would lead to a massive amount of blood-letting in the party and he wants as long as possible to deal with the fallout. However without the prospect of an election on the immediate horizon it's certainly emboldened the loopier wing of the party, and I'm certain the rumblings about a backbench rebellion over the benefits cuts had the same effect on Central Office as a gross of Ex-Lax. Those likely to rebel over the cuts aren't the ones likely to rebel over Europe but I'm sure it's suddenly at the front of a lot of minds...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

we can discuss the impact it could have but once they decided to go with the referendum, ASAP was always better for the tories. 4 years is a long time for them to silence the opposition and the impact of public infighting. If it was held in 2019 or pre-election it would have been a disaster. Essentially, Cameron is winging it in hope.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

nopantsjack posted:

The plan is clearly to have their fighting here then win the referendum and have a few years for things to simmer down. Problem for them is that the EU referendum is likely to be as successful at that as the Scotland referendum was at quieting the SNP.
I don't think it'll play out the same. The vote is in less than three months and things are only really starting to properly kick off now. The Scottish referendum campaigns were both fairly noisy six months out from the vote, and with less than 100 days to go there was way way more coming out from each side than there is now about Europe. This will be a much shorter battle so the scars won't be as ingrained.

Also the SNP were one party against a coalition of the others, so got the benefit of essentially all the Yes support drawing in around them for the general election vote. The difference here is that there's there's no party line of separation between the campaigns, it's an internal Tory struggle. The flag bearer for Leave will be Boris, who's doing it for his own gain and it's not like he will leave the Tory party. If you're a eurosceptic Tory voter and you lose the referendum, if Osborne becomes the next leader what will you do then? You'll still vote for them instead of Labour so whatever happens I don't think they'll end up haemorrhaging votes or anything.

It seems like the press might be over Farage now, UKIP's time may be over. My guess is he'll be a surprisingly insignificant figure in this referendum.

So there'll be plenty of backstabbing and infighting amongst the Tories, but it can be confined to Europe and may not carry on through once the referendum is over. The Europe vote may end up like the fight club of the Tory party, no holds barred there but they can come back together afterwards for the normal stuff.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 19, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://www.lbc.co.uk/miliband-backs-corbyn-as-next-prime-minister-127177

quote:

In a rare interview, the former Labour leader labelled the current government a "shambles" over their in-fighting over dsability benefit cuts.

When asked if he thought Mr Corbyn could win the next election, he said: "Yes! And frankly considering the shambolic mess we've got at the moment,the sooner it happens the better.

Ed is still adorable.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm glad he's going to be environment secretary in 2020, under the glorious reign of Corbyn, who shall have a five year plan for us all

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Ed was a good bloke, just not quite good enough at politics when it mattered.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Hoops posted:

this is unfair imo, he was beloved in the party for his record as environment minister. The issue is the public and press don't understand the difference between politics, the process of governing a country, and sixth form panto.

Ed Miliband would probably have been a tree or something in his panto

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Hoops posted:

He's not a bad politician either. But in a post-Blair era he got talked into playing Blairite politics when the country was sick of them and that hosed him. He was most successful when he was confident enough to push his own ideas rather than be (Tories-1).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

winegums posted:

He's not a bad politician either. But in a post-Blair era he got talked into playing Blairite politics when the country was sick of them and that hosed him. He was most successful when he was confident enough to push his own ideas rather than be (Tories-1).

Counterpoint:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Spangly A posted:

this is unfair imo, he was beloved in the party for his record as environment minister. The issue is the public and press don't understand the difference between politics, the process of governing a country, and sixth form panto.
Sure, but I would argue that if your political skills don't work on the public and the press, they're not really political skills at all.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ed Miliband sat on newsnight and let Myleene Klaas tear strips out of him over how she deserved all of her millions

Watson would've nutted her

Hoops posted:

Sure, but I would argue that if your political skills don't work on the public and the press, they're not really political skills at all.

hoops bud you're doing it now, this is the point. The problem isn't watching house of lords and it being a borish shitshow full of wankers who deserve execution, the problem is that house of lords debate exists at all when proper coverage would be expert examination and discussion of policy proposals and implementation.

A man who thinks a comeback is "put a tie on" has absolutely no business being anywhere near national infrastructure. A public led to believe that looking good on tv qualifies you to rule are not going to get good politicians.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 19, 2016

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint:

I don't recall who posted it at the time but it's still good.

quote:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on a slab these words appear:
'My name is Milibandias, PM of PMs: CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION.'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Ed Miliband sat on newsnight and let Myleene Klaas tear strips out of him over how she deserved all of her millions

Watson would've nutted her

hoops bud you're doing it now, this is the point. The problem isn't watching house of lords and it being a borish shitshow full of wankers who deserve execution, the problem is that house of lords debate exists at all when proper coverage would be expert examination and discussion of policy proposals and implementation.

A man who thinks a comeback is "put a tie on" has absolutely no business being anywhere near national infrastructure. A public led to believe that looking good on tv qualifies you to rule are not going to get good politicians.
I think we're talking about different definitions of the word "politics". When I say he wasn't quite good enough at "politics", I don't mean running the country, I mean he didn't win an election he probably should have done. He may have been great at *governing*, but he didn't do well enough at *campaigning*.

Obviously the ideal would be that all voters choose a party on the robustness of their policies, but that sort of goes without saying doesn't it? It's not the case despite the fact it should be.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 20, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint:

An NHS that has time to care.

Just no money.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Hoops posted:

I think we're talking about different definitions of the word "politics". When I say he wasn't quite good enough at "politics", I don't mean running the country, I mean he didn't win an election he probably should have done. He may have been great at governing, but bad at campaigning.

Obviously the ideal would be that all voters choose a party on the robustness of their policies, but that sort of goes without saying doesn't it? It's not the case despite the fact it should be.

yeah I get what you mean and agree he was just terrible at looking like a politician. He looked shy and bumbling. I just hope there's some half-decent press reform in the near future of Britain because Nigel Farage is not the end of this ridiculous personality-politics road.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Hoops posted:

I think we're talking about different definitions of the word "politics". When I say he wasn't quite good enough at "politics", I don't mean running the country, I mean he didn't win an election he probably should have done. He may have been great at *governing*, but he didn't do well enough at *campaigning*.

no no no this is far too reasonable a way to deal with two people interpreting a word differently, we've got to have at least three pages of back-and-forth smug one-liners this thread has a reputation to keep you know

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hoops posted:

iow, you go to polls with the public you have, not the public you want.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I love getting reminded of the Ed stone. I can just imagine the room full of Labour strategists around a whiteboard at 3am, so strung out and sleep-deprived that they all decided that one was a winner.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Weird, I can imagine a bunch of Blairites hammering it out over the course of several, well-rested weeks

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I've never cringed as hard as i did watching Ed trying to flip his Be Hard switch for Paxman

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Antares posted:

I've never cringed as hard as i did watching Ed trying to flip his Be Hard switch for Paxman

I remember being incredibly angry that Cameron got asked serious, statesmanlike questions and Miliband literally got asked if he could take Putin in a fight. Totally changed my opinion of Paxman.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jabby posted:

I remember being incredibly angry that Cameron got asked serious, statesmanlike questions and Miliband literally got asked if he could take Putin in a fight. Totally changed my opinion of Paxman.

Paxman's an open tory and he retired as he was starting to let it show, he was still absolutely brutal towards any tory he thought incompetent

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Many people seem to think that the government has reversed the planned disability cuts, while forgetting that the government have already voted for the £30 ESA cut. Those aren't being reversed.

While the government claim it will only be for new claimants (which is crazy, as new sick people require less help than those who are already sick?), it will affect everyone.

Everyone on ESA is going to be migrated to Universal Credit at some stage, and people who were in the ESA WRAG who find themselves in the UC WRAG will lose £30. Those who are currently in the support group of ESA who are then put in the UC WRAG will lose about 65% of their income. These cuts alone are going to kill thousands, and should be challenged and fought by as many people as possible. Most of the people affected by this cut don't have the health to fight....

In other news, I made a Pubic Crabb image in case anyone needs it for whatever purpose:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can think of one person who might need it for one purpose because of the pig face.

• Locked thread