Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the actual paper that came with it recommended preheating to 1 but I think they're just being overly cautious, gonna try 2 next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I keep having a problem where I have to put so much flour on my pizzas to get them to not stick that it makes this sort of layer of flour on the bottom that doesn't cook and I feel like sort of prevents the bottom from browning.

I find rice flour works the best with the least discernible effect on the finished product.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Pan pizza is really, really good. I just got my first cast iron, made two pan pizzas with it. Can't stop thinking of the possibilities.

Glorious before/after of a BBQ Chicken pizza. I think layering is pretty important in making sure you don't have absolutely destroyed toppings, and having a range of doneness is probably standard. Since this thing is so thick, I cooked the dough slightly ahead of time, and that definitely worked out. It's like an actual pie.

Toppings: Grilled Onions/garlic/jalapenos, baked chicken/bacon, cilantro, tomatoes, and a drizzling of BBQ sauce on top. I used three styles of cheese, shredded mozzarella, sliced fresh mozzarella, and a little bit of cheddar. Worked out great, and didn't take that long to make. Definitely doing it again.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Pan pizza is really, really good.

Hell yes. We recently moved, and our new apartment has a smaller oven that my huge pizza steel doesn't fit in. Until I get around to cutting it down, I've made pan pizzas a couple times. Not having to mess with the peel is probably the best part. I love a good thin crust, but the few pans so far have been nice and crisp, but still soft. They take lots of toppings better too, of course.

I'll try and get pictures of the two we're making tonight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Pan pizza is really, really good. I just got my first cast iron, made two pan pizzas with it. Can't stop thinking of the possibilities.

Glorious before/after of a BBQ Chicken pizza. I think layering is pretty important in making sure you don't have absolutely destroyed toppings, and having a range of doneness is probably standard. Since this thing is so thick, I cooked the dough slightly ahead of time, and that definitely worked out. It's like an actual pie.

Toppings: Grilled Onions/garlic/jalapenos, baked chicken/bacon, cilantro, tomatoes, and a drizzling of BBQ sauce on top. I used three styles of cheese, shredded mozzarella, sliced fresh mozzarella, and a little bit of cheddar. Worked out great, and didn't take that long to make. Definitely doing it again.

What dough recipe did you use?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html
Literally the first thing that came up in google. It's actually pretty good, and I've enjoyed Bobby Flay's recipes before. I used all-purpose flour. I assume he's correct in saying that bread flour makes a crisper crust, but I like mine spongy and chewy, which this is. I made a 3-cup batch of this, because I like thick crusts, and made sure the dough lined up the sides somewhat as well, so the toppings didn't fall out the back like a poorly constructed pizza.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wasn't a fan of the whole wheat flour, but otherwise pretty decent. I wish this tiny oven went above 500°. The thermometer is like right there on the inside, and if I was more ballsy I'd jury rig it a bit, but I like my cheap rent and don't want to burn the place down.

I think I'll go back to King Arthur bread flour for the next batch.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 2, 2016

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Pizza night!

My daughter's little cheese pizza

Leftover chicken always means buffalo chicken pizza for me...

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I just tossed my first homemade pizza (Margherita) in the oven. Now we wait.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My recent pizza based antics have seen me trying and loving Baking Steel/Jim Lehey's 72hr Pizza Dough. Effectively, you can use that dough up to 5 days after making it, and it's best after 3.

First experiment was this (unfortunately, I didn't think to photograph the bottom):

I liked it so much I left the remaining dough in the fridge for another day, so at 96hrs, a just a touch of overcooking, I had this:
Album of the 96hr fermented dough

I enjoyed myself so much, a couple of days ago I made a double batch of the above recipe:

And had this for lunch today:
Album of the 48hr fermented dough

Trick was to preheat your oven on convect or bake to the highest it will go (550F in my case), then put the pizza in and turn on your broiler/grill for the first 90 seconds of cooking, then turn it off and wait for it to finish on convect.

Also, while I was researching why exactly this worked, essentially it's the protein content in your flour, should be >12%. Next, for us who live in Canada, remember that US "bread flour" and Canadian "bread flour" are not the same thing (in fact, most flours are high enough protein content in Canada), this article has a good explanation.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Two quick questions for pan pizza:
1) I'm not really sure if I should be coating my pan with oil or with flour before I put the dough in. I've seen both of these options in different recipes, but oil seems like the safer bet if I don't want it to stick. Or am I wrong?
2) Is it better to start heating my pan before or after I put the dough in? Does it even make a difference?

I've made pizza before, but never in a pan. I have a small (8") cast iron skillet which I really love to use, so I thought it would be cool to try making a pizza in it. I'll do it tonight so if I don't mess it up too bad I'll post some pictures later.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
1.) Oil is what I use. You basically fry the underside of the crust.
2.) If you're building your pizza in the pan, which I think is the best option, preheating it is difficult/likely to result in a burned hand. I don't pre-heat and I don't know that it makes much difference.

Kenji's recipe has never let me down- http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

When I do cast iron pan pizza, I really like the crust quality that comes from putting the pan on the stovetop on high for 3-5 minutes before popping it in the oven

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Illegal Move posted:

Two quick questions for pan pizza:
1) I'm not really sure if I should be coating my pan with oil or with flour before I put the dough in. I've seen both of these options in different recipes, but oil seems like the safer bet if I don't want it to stick. Or am I wrong?
2) Is it better to start heating my pan before or after I put the dough in? Does it even make a difference?

I've made pizza before, but never in a pan. I have a small (8") cast iron skillet which I really love to use, so I thought it would be cool to try making a pizza in it. I'll do it tonight so if I don't mess it up too bad I'll post some pictures later.

The reason cast iron pizza works is the pan acts as a pizza stone, you need to get the pan rippin hot either on the stove or oven before dough touches it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No, there is a difference between using the cast iron like a pan vs a stone.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
My first pan pizza was sadly a failure - the dough got really hard on the outside and it was still a bit underdone on the inside. I was pleasantly surprised with how easily the pizza came out of the pan, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If there wasn't still oil on the pan when you removed it, you may want to use more oil

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

The reason cast iron pizza works is the pan acts as a pizza stone, you need to get the pan rippin hot either on the stove or oven before dough touches it.

Anecdotal, I guess, but I have taken to cooking mine in a ten inch cast iron without preheating and they turn out pretty well. I stopped experimenting with preheating after I burned a crust bottom without the pizza getting totally finished, but obviously YMMV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Am I correct that the 00 flour I found at the supermarket, which says "tipo 00 soft flour", is not actually the same thing as the high-protein 00 flour I should use for pizza dough?

I was so excited to have finally encountered 00 flour, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, because it makes things far too "crumbly," for lack of a better description.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody got a recipe for a less cooked down sauce? I was considering squeezing and straining some canned san marzanos and then reducing down only that liquid, then combining back and doing a rough purree. Does that technique make sense? Also bring in a small bit of vinegar and sauteed garlic.

I did the below recipe last time and it didn't have that "brightness" to it. Kenji's dough was great though. I also used smoked paprika which kind of takes over the taste, will leave that out this time.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 16, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody got a recipe for a less cooked down sauce? I was considering squeezing and straining some canned san marzanos and then reducing down only that liquid, then combining back and doing a rough purree. Does that technique make sense? Also bring in a small bit of vinegar and sauteed garlic.

I did the below recipe last time and it didn't have that "brightness" to it. Kenji's dough was great though. I also used smoked paprika which kind of takes over the taste, will leave that out this time.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Just don't cook your sauce at all, I never have. Easiest option: Find Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes, open can, season (maybe), use. The end. http://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Ground-Tomatoes-28-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00474C72E

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Just don't cook your sauce at all, I never have. Easiest option: Find Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes, open can, season (maybe), use. The end. http://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Ground-Tomatoes-28-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00474C72E

If you have a stick/immersion blender, going to town on a can of whole tomatoes produces winderful results. In my experience whole, peeled tomatoes are better quality than ones that come pre-diced or pre-sauced.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jmcrofts posted:

If you have a stick/immersion blender, going to town on a can of whole tomatoes produces winderful results. In my experience whole, peeled tomatoes are better quality than ones that come pre-diced or pre-sauced.

Been there, done that. The flavor and quality of 6-in-1s is much better than most canned whole tomatoes. There's a reason why many restaurants and pizza places use 6-in-1 exclusively. The pizzamaking.com forum spergs put me on to these and I found them at a local store and have never looked back. If a canned tomato product can be life changing, it's 6-in-1. Perhaps you should try them. They are absolutely perfect for a no-cook sauce, which is what he asked for.

Edit: Here's a SeriousEats thread about them: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011/02/6-in-1-tomatoes.html

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

PT6A posted:

Am I correct that the 00 flour I found at the supermarket, which says "tipo 00 soft flour", is not actually the same thing as the high-protein 00 flour I should use for pizza dough?

I was so excited to have finally encountered 00 flour, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, because it makes things far too "crumbly," for lack of a better description.

I've always heard that tipo 00 is really only beneficial once you start cooking at 800ºF+.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Been there, done that. The flavor and quality of 6-in-1s is much better than most canned whole tomatoes. There's a reason why many restaurants and pizza places use 6-in-1 exclusively. The pizzamaking.com forum spergs put me on to these and I found them at a local store and have never looked back. If a canned tomato product can be life changing, it's 6-in-1. Perhaps you should try them. They are absolutely perfect for a no-cook sauce, which is what he asked for.

Edit: Here's a SeriousEats thread about them: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011/02/6-in-1-tomatoes.html

I'll need to work through this single can of Cento Whole Peeled first but I will definitely try them, thanks. Apparently the name indicates they are good for 6 different uses based off some original labeling.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I tried the Modernist Cuisine technique of vacuum sealing buffalo mozz with a bunch of paper towels and it's the first time I've actually found it usable for pizza. This and draining my crushed tomatoes for a few hours before making the sauce has dramatically reduced the moisture content of my toppings and allowed them to cook at about the same pace as the crust. I feel like now I can truly cook at the proper temps, assuming I can achieve them.

I bought this grill conversion that can get reach 7-900°F.

The problem is it takes like $20 worth the charcoal to get it up to those temps. That's fine for a party or something where you are cooking a lot of pies for a while but is a little ridiculous for a 2 person meal. I may try just starting some logs in my fire pit but that's time consuming and still silly for a weeknight dinner. Have you guys found any oven hacks or tried the pizzaque propane unit?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I tried the Modernist Cuisine technique of vacuum sealing buffalo mozz with a bunch of paper towels and it's the first time I've actually found it usable for pizza. This and draining my crushed tomatoes for a few hours before making the sauce has dramatically reduced the moisture content of my toppings and allowed them to cook at about the same pace as the crust. I feel like now I can truly cook at the proper temps, assuming I can achieve them.

I bought this grill conversion that can get reach 7-900°F.

The problem is it takes like $20 worth the charcoal to get it up to those temps. That's fine for a party or something where you are cooking a lot of pies for a while but is a little ridiculous for a 2 person meal. I may try just starting some logs in my fire pit but that's time consuming and still silly for a weeknight dinner. Have you guys found any oven hacks or tried the pizzaque propane unit?

Cast iron griddle under broiler works well for me.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

Cast iron griddle under broiler works well for me.

How close are you putting your rack?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

How close are you putting your rack?

I have gas so its its own separate compartment, I would venture maybe 5 inches, have to let it pre-heat for awhile though.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

tonedef131 posted:

Have you guys found any oven hacks or tried the pizzaque propane unit?

You may be interested in my post to see if it would be a good fit for you. The various rebrands of the ovens commonly show up on eBay for under $50 shipped.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635&perpage=40&pagenumber=30#post445684011

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

For tomato "sauce," I like to take a bunch of romas and smoosh them up into chunks with my hands, then toss in some olive oil, crushed red pepper, and dried herbs. Comes out very chunky and tasty.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'll need to work through this single can of Cento Whole Peeled

The hybrid raw-cooked pizza sauce turned out pretty great. Strained out most of the tomato water into a pot, added Balsamic Vinegar and Pernod. Reduced it down then added the dried oregano at the end to rehydrate it. Sauteed half a head of garlic in butter and olive oil till brown. Combined the oil-butter-garlic, reduced liquid, and the actual tomatoes and gave everything a rough smash.

Would have been better with some barely wilted fresh Basil but I'll wait til that's in season.

Anybody got any tips to get a wider pie? I'm using the Serious Eats NY dough recipe. My diameter is a bit lacking, well under a foot. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-new-york-style-pizza-dough.html

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

What ceramic pizza stone would you guys recommend? I broke my mom's 15-inch round Pampered Chef one that was 15-20 years old so now I have to replace it. Is it true that those can't handle a 550 degree oven for 1-2 hours?! It was fine the entire time after baking 6 pizzas (which came out great) and I left it in the oven to cool down for several hours. When I opened the oven back up it had cracked down one side.

This could have been prevented if Amazon hadn't lost a package containing my new 3/8-inch baking steel :)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I don't know very much about the fatigue cycles of these stones, but I've been down that road and they ALWAYS crack after a few years. I finally went the steel route. For the price of a purpose made baking stone you should be able to get a plate from your local Metal Supermarkets or the like. They can usually plasma cut up to 1/2" on the spot and the beauty is you can select the dimensions to suit your needs. When I made mine I went 18x15 because that was small enough to fit in my oven but big enough to straddle all 4 of my burners when using it as a griddle.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
eggs benedict
olive oil, fresh mozz, capicola, bacon jam, hollandaise, 63c egg, arugula

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tonedef131 posted:

I don't know very much about the fatigue cycles of these stones, but I've been down that road and they ALWAYS crack after a few years. I finally went the steel route. For the price of a purpose made baking stone you should be able to get a plate from your local Metal Supermarkets or the like. They can usually plasma cut up to 1/2" on the spot and the beauty is you can select the dimensions to suit your needs. When I made mine I went 18x15 because that was small enough to fit in my oven but big enough to straddle all 4 of my burners when using it as a griddle.

Owns

Where did you buy that from

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Owns

I made like 10 of those so I ended up ordering through Alro. They can laser cut and deliver, plus they were slightly cheaper in that quantity. If I was only making one I would have just gotten it at Metal Supermarkets as I mentioned earlier.

Worst part was removing the mill scale. Each one would have taken hours with my glass bead, I eventually gave up and paid a local powder coater to shot peen it off with a steel media they had.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

tonedef131 posted:

BraveUlysses posted:

Owns

tonedef131 posted:

I made like 10 of those so I ended up ordering through Alro. They can laser cut and deliver, plus they were slightly cheaper in that quantity. If I was only making one I would have just gotten it at Metal Supermarkets as I mentioned earlier.

Worst part was removing the mill scale. Each one would have taken hours with my glass bead, I eventually gave up and paid a local powder coater to shot peen it off with a steel media they had.

He made one for me and I can say without a doubt that it loving owns bones. Gonna make so many sliders and pizzas with this thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To join sauce chat, I use canned crushed tomatoes. Dump them into a mesh strainer and stir until a good amount of liquid had drained off and the thickness is where I want it. Then I add seasonings (oregano, crushed red pepper, S&P, basil) and microwave it for a couple minutes just to infuse the flavors throughout the sauce. I also sauce my pizzas very lightly. That seems to be where most people go wrong, they put way too much sauce on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Huge_Midget posted:

He made one for me and I can say without a doubt that it loving owns bones. Gonna make so many sliders and pizzas with this thing.

I want one so drat bad, any chance of setting up another group buy?