Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The only answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Frankly Google Maps fails me about as often as Apple Maps these days. Which is to say, occasionally but really not very often.

That said, I don't care so much about Avoid Highways, but goddamn give me Avoid Tolls. :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I use Waze but it will do some stupid poo poo like suggest a route 500x more complicated just because the traffic estimate means it's 32 seconds less travel time than going on the main road/highway/freeway/etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
God I miss Waze. Goddamned CarPlay only supports Apple maps. Keeps forgetting all of my favorites and has the worst memory of locations I've been to.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

fourwood posted:

but goddamn give me Avoid Tolls. :(

I really don't know how this hasn't been added yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I like Apple Maps but Google Maps has some features I wish Apple would crib. Like on the fly rerouting to avoid traffic. That poo poo was clutch when driving back from Alabama and routed me around a giant accident.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

I'm sure the SE has a headphone jack. I'm not sure why people want one. The 6S isn't very big and I can reach across the entire screen one-handed with my thumb. You all have some abnormally small hands.

Weird, it's almost as if not everyone is exactly like you.

Also your iPhone questions could be answered in a minute or two of googling.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Like on the fly rerouting to avoid traffic.

This is pretty much reason number 1 I use Waze daily even though my commute is the same all week. It's a loving Godsend when it calls for a re-route because of something up ahead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I gave Siri/ a specific street number and name and she still couldnt do anything but take me to the cinema of that suburb.

Google maps > mic button > address > you are there when it says you will be.

Apple maps went from being half OK in city areas to being utterly useless at avoiding traffic or even using decent routes and generally being poo poo at stuff even the worst GPS unit will get around.

The only thing I dont like about Google Maps is not having Siri integration.

EDIT: new phone is cool and I wish they just made the iphone 7 a 6-sized 5 design. I slammed the trunklid of my hatch back on my 5 and it didnt even dent. I dropped my 6 on a wooden floor and it dented the top corner and the screen wont sit flush with the chassis. the shape has led to more drops of this phone in near 2 years of ownership than all my previous phones combined. Thankfully it hasnt cracked the screen yet.

Just something that isnt a slippery fuckin soap bar that cant handle a few tumbles.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google maps is decent, hopefully in 10 years after an anti-trust lawsuit or something Apple will be forced to allow users to pick their default app for things so that other map apps can integrate with the base OS better.

Though even google maps is a shell of what it used to be. There's way too many suggestions and popping up advertisers in results, once upon a time it was what you wanted and nothing else but now they pipe it through their giant advertising network and taint the experience a bit.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

I like Apple Maps but Google Maps has some features I wish Apple would crib. Like on the fly rerouting to avoid traffic. That poo poo was clutch when driving back from Alabama and routed me around a giant accident.

Apple maps has this now but it's still way better with google maps. I do think Apple maps will get better once they leverage all these new cars with CarPlay out and have up to date traffic info.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a reason mobile Safari can't remember username and passwords for .htaccess based sites? It's a bit frustrating to have to enter them constantly for a few things.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

.htaccess based sites?

What? That sentence makes no sense. .htaccess is an Apache dotfile you use to override global settings for subsets of your static directories. How are sites "based" on them?
What in gods name are you talking about

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

fourwood posted:

but goddamn give me Avoid Tolls. :(

Give Here Maps a try.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Give Here Maps a try.

Here Maps is amazing. It's saved my rear end so many times when I didn't have a data connection out in the back rear end of nowhere in Ireland.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Pivo posted:

What? That sentence makes no sense. .htaccess is an Apache dotfile you use to override global settings for subsets of your static directories. How are sites "based" on them?
What in gods name are you talking about

He's talking about HTTP basic access authentication and yes it's really annoying that they don't get saved.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nevett posted:

He's talking about HTTP basic access authentication

Ooooooooooh. People still DO that?!

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
SABnzbd authentication works that way, and yeah it's annoying that Safari won't offer to remember it. And you can't call up 1password with a modal like that open either.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Yeah it saved me from a 2.5 hour backup by having us get on an access road when I was driving through the desert from Las Vegas to San Fran.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone seen a photo/video with the SE's keyboard? The only thing holding me back from swapping out my 6s for the SE is the fact that when I used a 5s for a week I couldn't type an "s" to save my life and I'm hoping that they slightly improved the keyboard.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It'll auto-learn around your retardation.

Not my image, but I love how swiftkey will show you what it does behind the scenes to achieve this.

My G is huge on mine. No idea why.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

lelandjs posted:

Has anyone seen a photo/video with the SE's keyboard? The only thing holding me back from swapping out my 6s for the SE is the fact that when I used a 5s for a week I couldn't type an "s" to save my life and I'm hoping that they slightly improved the keyboard.

It's going to be the exact same keyboard as the 5S because it's the same screen. Get a 3rd party keyboard like noted above. Fleksy os good too but has a steep learning curve of you're used to swype.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Are people really going to get this 5SE phone because it's technically the newest iPhone? That's extremely weird and yet totally makes sense for the fanbase.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beejay posted:

Are people really going to get this 5SE phone because it's technically the newest iPhone? That's extremely weird and yet totally makes sense for the fanbase.
No? They're getting it because they want a smaller phone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

beejay posted:

Nah, it's about having modern specs/features in quite possibly the best smartphone size/design ever.

I didn't bother with third party keyboards on the 5s because they took forever to launch when I activated spotlight, but hopefully they've fixed that.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I didn't mean people who legitimately like the form factor but I heard on abc nightly news or something that they expect this to be one of the biggest selling phones ever and telling people how to best cash in on their 6S and stuff. It just seems weird.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

A decent amount of people come in asking for smaller phones. Beyond that, it's a flagship phone for $399 or $499, which is a poo poo ton cheaper than the 6S at $650 or $750.

People aren't going to line up at the door, but it'll change what phone people come in asking for. A lot of people will be given the choice of getting the SE, or paying $250 more for a 6S, and a good number will get it on price alone.

Also, any of the few android phones in carrier stores that are at the $399 pricing are almost all poo poo phones. So it'll stand out for that reason too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

People aren't going to line up at the door

Dude, this is Apple. They are LITERALLY going to line up at the door.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I loved the 5s when I got it (my first ever smartphone) and now use a 6s. My work phone is a 5s though and it feels too small, I find the keyboard particularly cramped. Don't think I could go back to something that small now.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Thr iphone SE is cheap and the best phone in its price class. It will do well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

beejay posted:

No, but there's always a few weirdo outliers (more than a few in a typical SA megathread) who will spaz out accordingly. I'm reminded of all the handwringing in the Nintendo 3DS thread when the "2DS", a redesign literally intended for children, was announced.

With that said I'm pretty sure I'm getting an SE! I'm on a 5c and it's really feeling old now, particularly with with task switching (it's a full reload almost every time). Now that it's confirmed to be mostly 6s internals rather than 6, I'm sold. Had no idea I'd be able to rock "flagship" specs for around half a year with this thing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best way to get the 5SE? Should I order through Apple or my carrier?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best way to get the 5SE? Should I order through Apple or my carrier?

It depends really on how you want to pay for it. Does Apple do sales tax through their site, or is that a state-sanctioned thing?

I'd say go to a carrier store if you want it ASAP and just pay for it outright.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Has apple commented on the SOC manufacturer for the SE? My mom wants one but I want to make sure she has the Good Chip.

IIRC there was an algorithm can someone post it?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Has apple commented on the SOC manufacturer for the SE? My mom wants one but I want to make sure she has the Good Chip.

sever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

should you care--> no

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

oh brother

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

It depends really on how you want to pay for it. Does Apple do sales tax through their site, or is that a state-sanctioned thing?

I'd say go to a carrier store if you want it ASAP and just pay for it outright.
If you have an Apple Store in your state, they will charge sales tax. If not, they won't, I don't think.

Anyway, I totally forgot about the Apple Upgrade Program. Definitely gonna get an SE, I think.

EDIT: Weird. Looks like it's not available on the SE.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 22, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The algorithm is you going to an apple store and cracking open the first SE you see.

edit: The purpose is to examine the chips within to confirm Goodness, obviously.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Guys this serious. My mom uses her phone for calls, typo-ridden texts, sending me funny cat pictures, and benchmarks. Making sure she has the Right Chip is very important :(