Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMD3 posted:

This is my Meren deck, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

http://deckstats.net/decks/13098/450370-meren-comes-of-age

I probably lost 2 dozen games in my playgroup with this deck before giving it a hefty overhaul and a lot of testing and now it is on like a 6 game undefeated streak and my playgroup is starting to adjust to hate on my graveyard pretty heavily.

In the spirit of always improving I'd love to get some additional critique and see what would be seemingly obvious upgrades I can make that I may have missed. I feel like some of the cards listed in my sideboard should go in I'm just having a hard time figuring out what to remove to make room for them.

You have like 2 sac outlets and 20 cards that rely on creatures dying and/or getting sacrificed.

You are playing Cabal Coffers in a deck with 9 swamps and 1 tutor.

You are playing a bunch of guys with 6+ CMC and virtually no ramp. The only way to get fatties into your yard to reanimate them is to discard to hand size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just had an opponent get super salty when I turn 4 Terastadon'd all 3 of his lands with my Azusa deck. Apparently duel commander is no place for land destruction!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MMD3 posted:

This is my Meren deck, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

http://deckstats.net/decks/13098/450370-meren-comes-of-age

I probably lost 2 dozen games in my playgroup with this deck before giving it a hefty overhaul and a lot of testing and now it is on like a 6 game undefeated streak and my playgroup is starting to adjust to hate on my graveyard pretty heavily.

In the spirit of always improving I'd love to get some additional critique and see what would be seemingly obvious upgrades I can make that I may have missed. I feel like some of the cards listed in my sideboard should go in I'm just having a hard time figuring out what to remove to make room for them.

I've been tempted to get that pre-con for a while now since I love BG but am too poor to play it in any other format, so thanks for some ideas.

I agree on getting a couple more re-useable sac outlets, maybe dropping one or two of the Fleshbag Marauder variants to make space. Also since you don't really have any card draw unless your opponents are dumb enough to let you keep Skullclamp on the board, Deathreap Ritual might be work looking at especially since it could net you a card after each player's turn if you time things right.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Balon posted:

Just had an opponent get super salty when I turn 4 Terastadon'd all 3 of his lands with my Azusa deck. Apparently duel commander is no place for land destruction!

That's his fault for not having 3 other permanents of value. :colbert:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Toshimo posted:

You have like 2 sac outlets and 20 cards that rely on creatures dying and/or getting sacrificed.

You are playing Cabal Coffers in a deck with 9 swamps and 1 tutor.

You are playing a bunch of guys with 6+ CMC and virtually no ramp. The only way to get fatties into your yard to reanimate them is to discard to hand size.

Well, getting counters and fatties out is rarely an issue in multiplayer for the deck but I don't disagree with you. I don't know about virtually no ramp though, my ramp package currently is llanowar elves, birds of paradise, blisterpod, sakura tribe elder, yavimaya elder and sad robot. The choice was to focus on recurrable ramp and things that spit out eldrazi spawn/scions.

Cabal Coffers was strictly because I put urborg in, it might not make a ton of sense as I don't have great outlets for it. I have buried alive and hermit druid for putting things in the graveyard but have mostly relied on my opponents killing my poo poo and milling me to put my fatties in my graveyard. I mean I'll be damned if anyone ever lets any of my 6CMC+ creatures sit on the board for more than a turn or two.

I'm certainly open to suggestions for upgrades though, definitely why I asked for help.

I'm thinking I need to make room for Mind Slash, Fauna Shaman, and Doomed Necromancer at the very least but if you have some suggestions for good ways to put more stuffs in my GY. I would love to add Entomb and Survival of the Fittest, those cards are just quite pricey so I'll need to get around to making some proxies.

C-Euro posted:

I've been tempted to get that pre-con for a while now since I love BG but am too poor to play it in any other format, so thanks for some ideas.

I agree on getting a couple more re-useable sac outlets, maybe dropping one or two of the Fleshbag Marauder variants to make space. Also since you don't really have any card draw unless your opponents are dumb enough to let you keep Skullclamp on the board, Deathreap Ritual might be work looking at especially since it could net you a card after each player's turn if you time things right.

The fleshbag critters are actually huge, particularly early-game as they can sack themselves. If I have an opening hand with fleshbag I'm almost guaranteed to pull out ahead early and it starts my meren engine off really strong.

I'm definitely adding Deathreap... also, Pawn of Ulamog needs to go in.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 22, 2016

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Tell me how to spice up this Ezuri, Claw of Progress deck

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

More ramp. Your curve is pretty high and you're not running a lot of the staple green EDH ramp cards. Sol Ring and Simic Signet are fine but most of the rest of the artifact ramp is outright inferior to what green gives you, plus you just need more quantity.

Wood Elves, Nature's Lore, Farseek, Three Visits, Kodama's Reach, Cultivate. If you can get a Gaea's Cradle throw in Crop Rotation and Sylvan Scrying too. You could also play Birds of Paradise and other mana dorks, since they give you some synergy with your general.

Worldly Tutor, Green Sun's Zenith, Chord of Calling are also all good cards. GSZ can do double duty as ramp, too.

Other than ramp and tutors the deck looks fairly solid.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 23, 2016

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Anyone got any ideas how to improve my Nekusar wheeling deck?

http://deckbox.org/sets/1364118

The issues I'm having is that either I don't get the draws to make any combos happen, or when I do, as soon as I get Nekusar and one or two other wheeling and dealing cards out I get mauled by all the other players and get knocked out of the game, I don't have anything to defend with.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nova88 posted:

The issues I'm having is that either I don't get the draws to make any combos happen, or when I do, as soon as I get Nekusar and one or two other wheeling and dealing cards out I get mauled by all the other players and get knocked out of the game, I don't have anything to defend with.

I would add Leyline of Anticipation, Vedalken Orrery, and Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir. It's going to be a lot harder to stop your combo when they can only interact at instant speed.

You're very light on actual wheel effects, and it seems like you have a bunch of miscellaneous control cards and junk like Venser's Journal clogging things up. If your gameplan is to cast a bunch of draw 7's, you need a lot of draw 7's and to focus on speed. If you don't want to go that way, you need to shift to be full control and use Nekusar to grind people out, though I think that's overall weaker than the pure combo plan.

A lot of your creatures are bad (eg Hooded Horror), don't fit the deck (eg Jeleva), or in Notion Thief's case, is a total non-bo with Nekusar as your victory condition. Completely overhaul your creature suite to go with your gameplan, or at least have format all-stars like Glen-Elandra Archmage or Consecrated Sphinx in place of dorks like Vampire Nighthawk.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You're playing a lot of really, really bad cards in that deck. Diviner Spirit, Hooded Horror, Terra Ravager, Elder Mastery, those curses, etc. are all insanely bad in this format in general never mind in your deck specifically. You're also not playing a lot of the better draw7s and support cards to make your deck work. Here are a few sample lists to give you some general ideas of what Nekusar wants.

Generally when building a deck you want to have a plan for what your deck wants to do, and then add cards that either contribute to that goal directly (in your case, wheels, draw punishers, etc.) or support you getting to that goal (tutors, card filtering, mana rocks) and some removal/protection.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nova88 posted:

Toshimo posted:

Step 1: Remove Opal Palace, Molten Slagheap, Urza's Factory, Temple of the False God, Rupture Spire, and maybe Grixis Panorama for either basic lands, Terramorphic Expanse, or lands that actually make 2 colors.
Step 2: Figure out how you want to win.
Step 3: Identify every card you have that doesn't do that thing, doesn't have an immediate impact, doesn't let you (not your opponent) draw/filter/tutor, and doesn't make mana.
Step 4: Start replacing those cards with cards that do.

Alternatively, don't play Nekusar because he sucks and is the 12th best Grixis commander out of 13.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's... a bit of a stretch. I'd say he's worse than four or five of them but certainly better than crap like Crosis, Garza, and Gwendlyn.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Alternatively, don't play Nekusar because he sucks and is the 12th best Grixis commander out of 13.

Eh, I think that's a case of the RBU commanders being pretty stellar (except Mishra) more than Nekusar sucking. His real problem is that he encourages you to play one specific type of deck, one that a friend of mine called "The Eighteen Wheeler" because it played eighteen cards similar to Wheel of Fortune.

Like, he still probably needs to get answered because you might randomly take a whole bunch of damage, but if you leave Jelava or Thraximundar or Marchesa unanswered, you lose.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
What game are you guys playing where Grixis isn't the worst shard for commanders and Crosis/Garza aren't in the top 5? Because it sure isn't Magic: The Gathering.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Crosis and Garza are big expensive dudes that require a combat step to gain a minor effect? If you're gonna build around a combat commander just play Rafiq or Uril or something.

I mean they all kind of suck compared to Jeleva but you're definitely right that Grixis ain't great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I consider Phyrexian Arena 3 mana well spent.

Anyone who wants to pay 5 mana to do it for me deserves to lose.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sure, I don't really think Nekusar is great even if you build him entirely around comboing wheels to win fast, but there are a lot of other Grixis commanders that are as bad or worse.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

What game are you guys playing where Grixis isn't the worst shard for commanders and Crosis/Garza aren't in the top 5? Because it sure isn't Magic: The Gathering.

I was actually going to say Crosis was a bomb, but I changed it to Thraxy to avoid being contrary. Never had anyone play Garza in my playgroup, always wondered how good she actually is.

At the same point, while I think every shard has something awesome to offer, I just looked at RGB just out of curiosity (since it was the only shard I couldn't name an all-star commander from off the top of my head), and it doesn't look promising. I guess Kresh is pretty good, but there is nothing like Rafiq, Jelava, Uril, or Zur.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You do know that Prossh is defintely in the top 5% of commanders, right?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Toshimo posted:

You do know that Prossh is defintely in the top 5% of commanders, right?

See, I frigging knew you were going to say that. I recognize that it has potential, and again, I've never seen it in action myself. I just googled for a while, and it sounds like make-hoard-play-overrun and a few weird infinites because of Food Chain? Geez, I really don't want to believe that Overrun actually goes the distance in competitive (lol) EDH, but then again I guess all the others I mentioned also have to get an attack step to actually win you the game. Eh, I dunno. I'll believe it when I see it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Other than Prossh, Jund doesn't have much going for it either. Kresh, Sek'Kuar, Shattergang are all kind of okay but not great.

Prossh is hella dumb though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

See, I frigging knew you were going to say that. I recognize that it has potential, and again, I've never seen it in action myself. I just googled for a while, and it sounds like make-hoard-play-overrun and a few weird infinites because of Food Chain? Geez, I really don't want to believe that Overrun actually goes the distance in competitive (lol) EDH, but then again I guess all the others I mentioned also have to get an attack step to actually win you the game. Eh, I dunno. I'll believe it when I see it.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=358&meta=103&f=EDH

Those are mostly Duelcommander, but you can get some ideas.

Food Chain, yes. Overruns, hell no. Fecundity: :fap:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yisan is the most played combo commander :eyepop:

I really need to start paying attention to duel commander again.

E: Those Narset lists are giving me cancer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

Other than Prossh, Jund doesn't have much going for it either. Kresh, Sek'Kuar, Shattergang are all kind of okay but not great.

Prossh is hella dumb though.

Jund is weak, but at least it has Karrthus, Prossh, and Sek'kuar. Grixis has like.... Marchesa... kinda...

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Prossh combo is crazy good, and as gravy, it's also a voltron list without needing any cards to support it. He hits fast and on so many vectors he's really hard to shut down, plus Jund can answer everything. I stopped playing it because it doesn't really interact much, a lot of games you just do your thing until you win, but I did a lot of winning.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Grixis has like.... Marchesa... kinda...

And Jeleva? That deck is very, very good even if you don't really plan on casting her in most games.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magnetic North posted:

My Prossh deck averages a win around t5/6 against a 4 man table without massive disruption or equally broken commanders (and I've gone off t3/t4 a decent amount of times, but it's a lot less safe, especially with the mulligan changes). I run pretty much pure food chain combo. I'm also missing a lot of the cards that would cut a turn or more off my average time (hoping eternal masters has some of them...)

And in the more hybrid/non food chain builds, it's typically craterhoof and not overrun that's the finisher.

Also Nekuzar isn't bad, especially if people aren't running borderline broken stuff (prossh, zur, narset, asami, animar, derevi, etc). You don't drop him out to let people get a trickle of cards, you usually try to set up one or two big turns where you can finish the table. He's way better than dreck like Crosis/Garza-from a competitive standpoint if you're relying on your commander to attack to win, you had better be able to protect yourself, and/or end someone (or the game, in Narset's case) in a swing or two.

And remember when looking at the duel commander top 8s, those use a different ban list than regular multiplayer EDH (for example, the Prossh decks were lacking Food Chain). In the environment they created, Yisan's a great elfball commander for dueling (he's still solid in multiplayer, but it's just not as good a strategy in general).

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
:frogsiren:
http://deckstats.net/decks/61983/456112-the-gitrog-monster-stax
:frogsiren:

Ordered all the stax artifacts to round out my list, just waiting on the the SOI release for the new cards. My early goal is to find effects that increase the number of land drops I can make and Crucible of Worlds, and then I cast my general to begin looking for Life from the Loam or Smokestack. Potential cuts I see would be the Blood Artist and the Zulaport Cutthroat. A sweet card I'm interested in putting in is Scapeshift.

This deck relies very heavily on Crucible of Worlds or Life from the Loam, I lose 1v1 matches where I don't find either of those cards.

After proxying this deck and playing with a relatively new player at my LGS, they told me I should check out a weird modern deck they saw called "lantern control" and that it would be right up my alley. I didn't want to admit that I had that deck on my person, in another deckbox.

Edit: nekusar guy is obviously playing the jeleva precon. Gotta spend money to make money, friend. Start by adding every Wheel of Fortune effect you can find, Dictate of Kruphix, Howling Mine, Otherworld Atlas. Blue Sun's Zenith and Fascination as well. Everybody draws, everybody pays the price.

Duskfiend fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 30, 2016

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

You're playing a lot of really, really bad cards in that deck. Diviner Spirit, Hooded Horror, Terra Ravager, Elder Mastery, those curses, etc. are all insanely bad in this format in general never mind in your deck specifically. You're also not playing a lot of the better draw7s and support cards to make your deck work. Here are a few sample lists to give you some general ideas of what Nekusar wants.

Generally when building a deck you want to have a plan for what your deck wants to do, and then add cards that either contribute to that goal directly (in your case, wheels, draw punishers, etc.) or support you getting to that goal (tutors, card filtering, mana rocks) and some removal/protection.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's a deck that's been modified from the Jeleva pre con so that would explain a lot of the questionable card choices.

Also in regards to leyline of Anticipation etc. I've never really been sure how to use flash to it's fullest extent, what sort of card playing strategy would you use to make the most of all your cards having flash?

Nova69 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 30, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You can flash in blockers for bad combat, wheel your opponent's hands when they tutor for a card, throw down artifacts/enchantments on opponents' end steps so they can't react (especially Howling Mine affects that benefit your opponents before it affects you). In general, you can skip your turn and cast all of your fun stuff on your opponents' turns.

I'm like you in that I don't value the idea of flash that much. I can never force myself to make room for the Orrary or the Leyline.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Put Waste Not in there. That card's a beast.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well, a month after some dick stole my omnath deck I've traded back into most of it and substituted for the stuff I don't have yet.

Still need to get another Berserk, but, as a result of the project this has sort of become my pet deck and I'll probably end up trying to foil it out, so maybe I get a FtV Berserk? I'm not sure, I was thinking I might just shell out for a beta one once I traded into everything else.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-16-omnath-20/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looks like a solid deck. The only improvements I could really recommend are Wood Elves, Nature's Lore / Three Visits, Gaea's Cradle when you can afford one, and maybe some tutors.

EDIT: Burgeoning and Exploration could be nice too.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Looks like a solid deck. The only improvements I could really recommend are Wood Elves, Nature's Lore / Three Visits, Gaea's Cradle when you can afford one, and maybe some tutors.

EDIT: Burgeoning and Exploration could be nice too.

Good calls all around. I have an exploration on the way, and I do have cradles already for legacy elves, but I want to get a foil for this deck...

What would you cut, besides Grove?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Good calls all around. I have an exploration on the way, and I do have cradles already for legacy elves, but I want to get a foil for this deck...

What would you cut, besides Grove?

I might cut Windstorm and Sylvan Library. Do you have a lot of shuffling synergy that I'm missing?

Also, did you consider Gaea's Touch or Thawing Glaciers for landfall generation? Or are those too much tempo loss?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Library is good with any fetch and crucible, but I think I need a couple tutors to get crucible online... which in gruul I guess means gamble and....??

Thawing glaciers was a beast in the last iteration of the deck; I'll get another one.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can do a few minor upgrades like Rampant Growth -> Nature's Lore and Farhaven Elf -> Wood Elves.

Sylvan Caryatid stands out as being a bit odd, being your only mana producing creature, you could probably cut him for a ramp spell.

Mind's Eye seems really passive for your deck.

Tempt with Discovery is cute but often ends up either overpriced for a single land tutor or enables one of your opponents to gain a significant lead with something like their own Cradle or Coffers or whatnot. Cards that give opponents a choice are generally worse than they look unless you have bad opponents.

The only way you have to put Brawn into your graveyard is hoping you hit him off of dredging Loam. I'd recommend Anger too if it weren't for that.

Wildfire feels really out of place, and you should probably play one or both of Chaos Warp and Beast Within.

You also have virtually no artifact or enchantment hate, which is something to consider since you're in the best color combination for those.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I was a fan of Tempt With Discovery until my group began uniformly agreeing to find Strip Mines and Wastelands to color-screw me. Card's bad.
Also, Frontier Siege is great ramp, but for the landfall triggers you probably want to consider Skyshroud Claim, Hunting Wilds, Ranger's Path, Explosive Veg and Myriad Landscape.

Oh man! Perilous Forays with Locus of Rage is siiiiiiick. Do it!

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
I wanna touch on the inclusion of Leyline of Anticipation in the Nekusar deck: if you're casting sorcery speed wheels, you can hold priority and cast another wheel in your hand. You can also cast mana rocks in between wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also if some fuckwad plays Hive Mind or Eye of the Storm or some other heinous bullshit that extends the duration of the game by half a dozen hours, you can at least cast things while the stack is full of crap. :v: