Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I'm getting this lovely bit of compilation errors trying to launch after Heart of Stone installed and rig was booted

quote:

Error game\gui\menus\gwintgamemenu.ws(104): I dont know any 'TE_HERO_GWENT_MATCH_STARTED'
Error game\gui\menus\gwintgamemenu.ws(120): I dont know any 'TE_HERO_GWENT_MATCH_ENDED'
Error game\gui\menus\gwintgamemenu.ws(125): I dont know any 'TE_HERO_GWENT_MATCH_ENDED'

Warning game\components\inventorycomponent.ws(190): Native function 'GetItemId' was not exported from class 'CInventoryComponent' in C++ code.
Warning game\components\inventorycomponent.ws(193): Native function 'GetItemsIds' was not exported from class 'CInventoryComponent' in C++ code.
Warning game\r4game.ws(73): Native function 'ShowSteamControllerBindingPanel' was not exported from class 'CR4Game' in C++ code.
Warning game\journal.ws(221): Native function 'GetEntryIndex' was not exported from class 'CJournalManager' in C++ code.
Warning engine\telemetrykeyword.ws(10): Native function 'LogWithName' was not exported from class 'CR4TelemetryScriptProxy' in C++ code.
Warning game\gameplay\ability\abilitymanager.ws(25): Native function 'FixInitialStats' was not exported from class 'W3AbilityManager' in C++ code.

Apparently it's related to engine compiling from different folder than vanilla. Any sure fixes for those specific scripts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It probably is but I could not pick that ending when Geralt’s entire arc is about how he’s sick of politics and manipulation and just wants to look out for the people he cares for, and Ciri’s arc is about how she’s sick of people trying to shape her and tell her what she needs to do because of the circumstances of her birth. To unlock the Empress ending you need to not be a cool dad at least once and take her to her dad when she wants to go to Bald Mountain - the sort of choice that otherwise leads to the bad ending - and we know she’s in for an arranged marriage at least. It just doesn't feel right.

Plus, she’s completely unprepared for a life of politics and doesn’t really have anything to bring to the job other than being a nice person.

I dont quite agree here taking Ciri to the Emperor is being a cool dad because a lot of what that entails is realising Ciri is not a child and letting her be here own woman. When you choose take her to the Emperor Geralt offers her a choice and she thinks that it is right to see what he has to say, obviously you have to turn down the money. She then chooses to be Empress because she knows she can do good and gives up the life she wants of running around with her old man in order to do that, it shows how mature she is and is completely what her character would do. Its incredibly bittersweet as her and Geralt wont probably see each other again but nothing in the world works out perfectly, its probably my favourite ending.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Except when you read the books and know that Emhyr tried kidnapping her twice before in order to force her to have a child with him because of some prophecy and Ciri was actively hiding from him protected by the witchers. He doesn't care about her as his daughter at all, he's only interested in her giving him a son who is supposed to rule the world (at least in the books). Letting her meet him is basically a step father bringing his daughter back to her insane abusive biological dad and is entirely hosed up. It's not presented like that in the game though and is a different story if you don't know about that past.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 23, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Palpek posted:

Except when you read the books and know that Emhyr tried kidnapping her twice before in order to force her to have a child with him because of some prophecy and Ciri was actively hiding from him protected by the witchers. He doesn't care about her as his daughter at all, he's only interested in her giving him a son who is supposed to rule the world (at least in the books). Letting her meet him is basically a step father bringing his daughter back to her insane abusive biological dad and is entirely hosed up. It's not presented like that in the game though and is a different story if you don't know about that past.

He's not insane or abusive, he's an ultrapatriot, and if prophesy says her son will conquer the entire world he wants to make it so it happens under Nilfgard empire banner, whatever it takes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

He's not insane or abusive, he's an ultrapatriot, and if prophesy says her son will conquer the entire world he wants to make it so it happens under Nilfgard empire banner, whatever it takes.

He was going to rape his daughter. That seems pretty obviously abusive. :shrug:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pyromancer posted:

Maybe from his perspective. From Ciri's (and Geralt's) perspective he is insane in using her to fulfill his lust for power and is abusive in trying to kidnap her and physically force her to have a child with him. No matter what his motivations are it's not a good place for Ciri as she's only means to an end for Emhyr and from player's perspective Ciri's well-being is the main theme and not the bright future of Nilfgaard.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He was going to rape his daughter. That seems pretty obviously abusive. :shrug:

Not because it's the only way he ever gets a boner, because it's a political necessity - an unrecognized bastard daughter has much lower chances to inherit and be accepted, than emperor's legitimate son. #JustRoyalThings

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you have a pretty narrow definition of abusive.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

Not because it's the only way he ever gets a boner, because it's a political necessity - an unrecognized bastard daughter has much lower chances to inherit and be accepted, than emperor's legitimate son. #JustRoyalThings

Oh, well that makes it okay then. It's not abusive to rape your daughter if it's a political necessity, guys, sheesh.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
The game stands on its own, and you are permitted to have your own relationship to the franchise based on the specific parts of it you chose to consume. "Canon" is loving stupid garbage. Someone says they didn't take Ciri to the Emperor because he's an abusive rear end in a top hat (becuase that player chooses to incorporate elements of his character from another source), that's fine. If another player choses to take her to the Emperor because none of those elements are part of this story, that's fine too, it's not an invalid choice just because you read a book where he's a jerk.

edit: everyone is permitted to have their own relationship with a work, the artist is dead, long live art

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 23, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The game stands on its own, and you are permitted to have your own relationship to the franchise based on the specific parts of it you chose to consume. "Canon" is loving stupid garbage. Someone says they didn't take Ciri to the Emperor because he's an abusive rear end in a top hat (becuase that player chooses to incorporate elements of his character from another source), that's fine. If another player choses to take her to the Emperor because none of those elements are part of this story, that's fine too, it's not an invalid choice just because you read a book where he's a jerk.

edit: everyone is permitted to have their own relationship with a work, the artist is dead, long live art
I wrote as much at the end of my post - that it's a different situation when you haven't read the books.

It is worth noting though that the connection between the games and the books isn't as superficial as you make it sound. It's not about arguing which things are canon or not - it's more that CDPR itself references tons of main characters, their relations and past directly from the books. It's not that shocking that people are second-guessing what stuff CDPR sees as things that actually happened and which didn't as the book/game plots aren't cut clean off.

In the end it's left to the consumer to decide but nontheless there's a lot of space left for discussion.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 23, 2016

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Oh, well that makes it okay then. It's not abusive to rape your daughter if it's a political necessity, guys, sheesh.

Why don't my modern sensibilities apply to medieval monarchs? A blo blo bloo, he seemed like a decent guy when he only waged wars, arranged assassinations, executed dissidents and ordered genocide for empire, but loving his own daughter is crossing the line I tell you!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pyromancer posted:

An unrecognized bastard daughter has much lower chances to inherit and be accepted, than emperor's legitimate son. #JustRoyalThings

Wait, she was conceived out of wedlock but they were married when she was born, Emyr just had a different name at the time. Does that still make her a bastard?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Arbite posted:

Wait, she was conceived out of wedlock but they were married when she was born, Emyr just had a different name at the time. Does that still make her a bastard?

Maybe, while books never detailed succession laws of the empire it wouldn't be unprecedented in real life for her not to have rights to imperial throne or less rights than children he'd get after taking the throne. To more complicate things there is a fake Cirilla around, so it certainly won't help Emhyr's case to make a 180 on that and declare he lied about it for years and this other Cirilla is the real one. Probably it's a shaky throne as is, seeing how usurper could overthrow Emhyr's dad and then Emhyr could overthrow him and return a decade later.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 23, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Why don't my modern sensibilities apply to medieval monarchs? A blo blo bloo, he seemed like a decent guy when he only waged wars, arranged assassinations, executed dissidents and ordered genocide for empire, but loving his own daughter is crossing the line I tell you!
You seem to have strong feelings about this :mrgw:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

I mean all that stuff makes him sound like a pretty bad guy too idk

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

Radovid Was Right

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I mean judging Radovid on burning innocents at the stake isn't really fair, because he's a medieval monarch in a world where magic users are literally trying to usurp power for themselves. He's not insane, you're all self-righteous moralists! Disregard the chess thing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

nilfgaard did nothing wrong

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Radovid's chess set was pretty sweet though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGwYj4AqB6Q

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Palpek posted:

I wrote as much at the end of my post - that it's a different situation when you haven't read the books.

It is worth noting though that the connection between the games and the books isn't as superficial as you make it sound. It's not about arguing which things are canon or not - it's more that CDPR itself references tons of main characters, their relations and past directly from the books. It's not that shocking that people are second-guessing what stuff CDPR sees as things that actually happened and which didn't as the book/game plots aren't cut clean off.

In the end it's left to the consumer to decide but nontheless there's a lot of space left for discussion.

Yeah, I don't mean to sound so flippant about it, it's legit either way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is important to note that the majority of people who've played the games have not read the books, so presented as is, most people wouldn't know about Emhyr's full past with Geralt and Ciri. Presented in the game, Emhyr is Ciri's estranged father, not her would-be rapist. Obviously knowing that from the books, it changes your perspective somewhat, but it doesn't necessarily mean that his "I want a mega emperor son!" goal is still on the table. Besides that, from reading the books and their contextual chapter introductions, we know that Morvran Voorhis is Emhyr's successor, so its more likely that Empress Ciri would marry him politically than go through with the destiny godchild emperor.

Edit: I actually quite like Morvran. He's not a jerk to anybody, and despite looking like a greasy toad, he's rather pleasant to be around.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is important to note that the majority of people who've played the games have not read the books, so presented as is, most people wouldn't know about Emhyr's full past with Geralt and Ciri. Presented in the game, Emhyr is Ciri's estranged father, not her would-be rapist. Obviously knowing that from the books, it changes your perspective somewhat, but it doesn't necessarily mean that his "I want a mega emperor son!" goal is still on the table. Besides that, from reading the books and their contextual chapter introductions, we know that Morvran Voorhis is Emhyr's successor, so its more likely that Empress Ciri would marry him politically than go through with the destiny godchild emperor.

Edit: I actually quite like Morvran. He's not a jerk to anybody, and despite looking like a greasy toad, he's rather pleasant to be around.
Well, I haven’t read the books after Blood of Elves (because I hated it) and while the game is obviously trying to make the choice a bit more nuanced there’s plenty to suggest Emperor Charles Dance is a pretty nasty guy (he really does love talking about how much he wants to murder Geralt) and Ciri’s probably not going to have much fun with her arranged marriage etc. It’s certainly a more valid choice than if he was still crazy rapedad so it’s definitely an improvement in characterisation all around.

Morvran is cool though yeah.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Wasn't it implied that Emhyr has offed Pavetta?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I beat this game months ago and I still check for news about the Blood & Wine expansion every day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

alex314 posted:

Wasn't it implied that Emhyr has offed Pavetta?

I thought that Pavetta and Tuirseach had died in a shipwreck? Or am I confusing this with Tarzan? Emhyr was Duny the urcheon but I thought Eist stuck around as well

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Emhyr is implied to have pushed Pavetta off of the ship when he was known under his previous alias. They had an argument where it was revealed that he was actually going to seek the throne of Nilfgaard as its rightful heir and take Ciri and Pavetta with him. I'm not sure if I remember reading any part where he let Pavetta know that he wanted to have a baby with Cirilla because he wanted to fulfill the prophecy with his own son.

I'm curious about the implied metaphors or inspirations for the different kingdoms in the Witcher books and games. As far as I can tell, Nilfgaard is the former Soviet Union and each of the different northern kingdoms are various Eastern European countries, loosely speaking.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nilfgard is a mix of Imperial Russia and the Holy Roman Empire.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Last book spoiler Emhyr is a cool character. He personally brings an army to capture rescue Ciri, and forces Geralt and Yennefer to commit-suicide-or-I'll-do-it-for-you to tie off the loose ends. Then within like a minute of speaking to Ciri he decides he can't do it, turns his whole army around at the edge of the world and goes home.

He also as a weird one sided fatherly relationship with a girl he has impersonate Ciri in order to fabricate a claim to the Cintran throne. The books never make it clear whether he ever brings himself to kill her once she becomes a liability. Dude's a lonely Machiavellian shitlord :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well his constant expansionism is pushing Nilfgaard to the brink of destruction. Despite steamrolling the Northern Kingdoms, his biggest threat comes from the merchant houses he is bankrupting for his campaigns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Accordion Man posted:

Nilfgard is a mix of Imperial Russia and the Holy Roman Empire.
Being from the cultural context I can safely say it's not Imerial Russia but it really fits the usual Polish view of the Holy Roman Empire during late medieval times.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

Being from the cultural context I can safely say it's not Imerial Russia but it really fits the usual Polish view of the Holy Roman Empire during late medieval times.
Culturally yeah, its more like the HRE, but it does have similarities to Russia and its relationship to Eastern Europe. I mean Poland was either being conquered by the German states or Russia for some time.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Strategic Tea posted:

Last book spoiler Emhyr is a cool character. He personally brings an army to capture rescue Ciri, and forces Geralt and Yennefer to commit-suicide-or-I'll-do-it-for-you to tie off the loose ends. Then within like a minute of speaking to Ciri he decides he can't do it, turns his whole army around at the edge of the world and goes home.

This is it, pretty much. No matter his intentions, he can't bring himself to do that to his own daughter in the end, despite nothing stopping him.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Do they have any hints on how Blood and Wine will be integrated into the game and at what level you should access the content? I haven't done any of the paid DLC stuff yet and I am starting a slow replay. I am trying to time it to the end of April I'll be at the right level to do Heart of Stone and then hopefully have Blood and Wine as well.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MikeC posted:

Do they have any hints on how Blood and Wine will be integrated into the game and at what level you should access the content? I haven't done any of the paid DLC stuff yet and I am starting a slow replay. I am trying to time it to the end of April I'll be at the right level to do Heart of Stone and then hopefully have Blood and Wine as well.

I imagine it'll be the same as HoS, just adding a quest to your log which you can choose to take on at any time. Narratively HoS just neatly starts with Geralt picking up a contract he finds on a notice board and expands out from there, so it doesn't really rely on any of the main plot developments to make sense (though there is some unique dialogue depending on where you are in the main story).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I just started new game+, and goddamn does it feel good. Blood and broken bones, of course. Now that I feel like Geralt is a character with a satisfying arsenal at his disposal, the game feels more natural, rather than a series of instructions guiding you to how to play. I'm not worried about finding new loot or a piece of armor that doesn't look like rear end, so I can just sit back and enjoy the story and presentation of everything without worrying if I'm doing things optimally, which to be fair, was how I spent a lot of time on my first playthrough.

And yeah, it's really loving awesome to see O'Dimm in White Forest.

cooshee
Feb 26, 2015

Strategic Tea posted:

He also as a weird one sided fatherly relationship with a girl he has impersonate Ciri in order to fabricate a claim to the Cintran throne. The books never make it clear whether he ever brings himself to kill her once she becomes a liability. Dude's a lonely Machiavellian shitlord :(

actually in between chapters of the last book it's strongly implied that he marries the fake Ciri and she becomes the Empress Cirilla

cooshee fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 24, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Not sure if anyone has noted how awesome this game is

Very

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

fickle poofterist posted:

Not sure if anyone has noted how awesome this game is

Very

This- and I'm in the middle of Hearts of Stone. I hope my own wedding is half as amusing as the one I just crashed.