Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

I didn't know it would only shotgun if I do a certain thing (I assume where I spin the stick and push the one button?) I thought (and was hoping) I could just push the gun button and shotgun (so long as I had the shotgun equipped). It seems like a poo poo decision choice to give you nonpistols and then not let you go crazy with them. Day of the Tentacle Remastered unlocks tomorrow though so Bayonetta can wait a bit.

As regards Day of the Tentacle Remastered, like in the original unremastered version the complete Maniac Mansion (DOTT is a sequel) is contained within as a playable easter egg.

If I recall, you have a move list and everything. You can test poo poo out pretty easily. Bayonetta is not Devil May Cry, but it does have a plenty in-depth combat system. It's just focused more on fluidty than DMC. If you want to do some nutso stuff gun-wise, there's bunch of animation cancelling gimmicks with the slow firing heavy guns.

Man, I need to play through Bayonetta again. It was probably my favorite character action game (though Revengenace was pretty good too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Does anyone have any good tips for Icewind Dale 1&2 (no info on the wiki)

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

pentyne posted:

In Icewind Dale 2, if you have a Paladin or Monk party member talk to quest NPCs when it's time to report your success, they can automatically decline the rewards. So, have someone else do the talking.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

pentyne posted:

I haven't played 1 in forever, so here's some tips for IWD2.

Paladins are fine characters to have in your party, but if you have one make sure to not have them talk to the NPCs because the self-sacrificing buggers will automatically refuse most monetary quest rewards.

The game is extremely stingy with spell scrolls. Don't bring more than one wizard in your party or they'll never get all the spells they need. DO bring as many sorcerers as you like, arcane magic is awesome.

Divine magic is also awesome. Clerics of Lathander are pretty great. So are Battleguards of Tempus.

In general, power races that have xp penalties are going to end up underlevelled by the end game. Try to avoid having more than one drow, deep gnome, etc in your party, especially if they're caster classes.

For your frontline, Weapon Specialization is worth taking 4 levels in Fighter for, but there's not a lot of reason to go farther than that in Fighter. Go Paladin or Barbarian instead.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Long live the queen was given to me and it looks like a CYOA anime weird thing. Am I correct? Is there strategy to keep in mind? What's all this about moods?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

double nine posted:

Long live the queen was given to me and it looks like a CYOA anime weird thing. Am I correct? Is there strategy to keep in mind? What's all this about moods?
Your character's mood influences how quickly she'll improve corresponding skills. Like if she's pissed off, she's not going to want to sit around and learn etiquette, but if you have her train in fighting or military strategy that week, you'll see good improvement. Moods can be manipulated by what you have her do in her free time.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Get cheat engine and hack the game's loot tables to be about 1000x what they are by default. Its very easy to do and makes the game dramatically more fun.

Borderlands 2 is a slow slog of a grind. The default drop rates on rare weapons are literally 1 in 20,000. gently caress that noise. Hack it and have fun, its a loving single player game not an MMO worth spending millions of hours grinding in. I usually set it so its more like 1 in 20 and then you actually get some fun drops as you play.

Also when you beat the game, stop. Do not play on TVHM or UVHM under any circumstances unless you want to hate yourself.
I'd mostly agree with this - I used the drop tables in the OP of the thread here and it made things a lot more fun - but I'd disagree about TVHM (playthrough #2), it's still pretty fun. UVHM (playthrough #3) is absolute garbage, though.

Also, if the game catches you, both of the DLC classes are incredibly strong and fun to play, and the Torgue and Tiny Tina DLC campaigns are well worth it.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

While one of the main draws for these games is the low amount of story, there is a mod to add in NPC interactions to IWD1 (including the extended edition). I haven't tried it yet but plan to do so on my next playthrough.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=174&Itemid=122

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Icewind Dale 1:
- Fighter+Thief and Ranger+Cleric are great multiclass combos.
- A Mage benefits greatly from starting as a Fighter. So pick stats appropriate for a Mage but start as a Fighter and dual-class to Mage after few levels. Be sure to pick a race that can actually dual-class though!
- Druids are awesome, especially if you have the Heart of Winter expansion (it added some spells). They get neat summons and AoE spells. I fought most of my battles by letting my Halfling Fighter+Thief scout the area, lure some monsters to the rest of the party and then have the Druid lay down some poison and slowing effects. You let your ranged characters take potshots at the trapped enemies and summon some elementals to help finish the job when the spells start to fade out.
- The expansion can be played during the main game or afterwards. I recommend the latter. It should automatically transport you to the new area when you finish the original campaign.

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys , thinking of picking up final fantasy 7. Never played one before. Anything I need to know so I don't get really frustrated trying to operate the archaic system? How do classes work? And the image breaks for each one?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Up to the Elves posted:

Hey guys , thinking of picking up final fantasy 7. Never played one before. Anything I need to know so I don't get really frustrated trying to operate the archaic system? How do classes work? And the image breaks for each one?

In general:
-Blue materia adds effects to the materia you place in a linked slot. Not all equipment has linked slots.

-Every character has 2 limit breaks for each of 3 levels. Using the first one 8 times unlocks the second one. Then landing killing blows with that character unlocks the first one in the next level. Level 4 has only 1 limit break per character. These are all found and then used like an item. Remember to set your new limit break level when you open it up!

-Press select to display entrances and exits to the pre-rendered map screens.

-A number of things can be permanently missed, but you can skip all of them and not screw yourself over.

-Characters in the back row take half damage from physical attacks, but also deal half damage unless they are using a long range weapon or the Long Range materia. What I'm saying is you can keep Barret in the back row because he uses a big honkin' gun and then put Cover materia on him when you find it later. He'll protect party members and take half damage even if they are in the front row. Not super important, but a fun example of taking advantage of the system.

Enjoy the game. Don't be afraid to mess around with materia and equipment. There are no classes in FF7.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

double nine posted:

It looks like a CYOA but it's actually a logic/critical path game on how to coldly manipulate your princess' moods to make sure she learns the skills she needs for an event fast enough and efficiently enough.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

double nine posted:

It is definitely meant to be played many times and in many different ways. So you either play it with a guide handy to lead you to every ending or you experiment and explore.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Teach me how to not gently caress up in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dizz posted:

Seduction is worthless. Don't waste points in it or Appearance.

There's a lot of skill books in the game that provide permanent boosts to your skills, but only if your Research skill is high enough to get them.

Don't waste points on computers early on - you can buy a cheap skillbook from the first shop that permanently increases it, but only if your skill is 0 or 1, and you can buy it twice, taking you from 0 to 2 for only a little bit of money, which is super easy to come by.

The same shop has a skillbook that raises firearms from 0 to 2. So don't waste character creation points on Firearms either.

Playing a Malkavian is fun, but you won't understand anything unless you've played the game already and know the plot.

Playing a Nosferatu is funny, but only for about 10 minutes. Then it's a chore.

Don't neglect your combat skills. The back half of the game is heavy with unavoidable unstealthable fights. Melee is fine for most of the game, but the final boss is almost unkillable without a ranged weapon of some sort, so plan on getting your shooting skill up sooner or later.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Golden Goat posted:

Last time I played through it we used a save editor to swap around our characters which is super fun if you get bored of one class but don't want to level up one from scratch. I recommend it.

This. gibbed's save editor lets you do stuff like set your character to that level, and have all their equipment sync to that level too. I found this extremely useful for getting around the problem of "my friends' characters are different levels than me", which normally means that somebody is just tagging along being fragile and useless instead of doing cool things with everybody. You can also use the editors to dump in a random weapon of some type into your backpack manually if you want to try to spice things up.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Up to the Elves posted:

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Final_Fantasy_7

To add more to this:

-You're going to need a guide if you want to collect all the summon materia and final limit breaks (some are plain rotten).

-Offensive items are fantastic for a long time. Stock up on these and go to town tossing grenades at dudes.

-Don't stress Materia Growth Rate on gear until late game. Just use what is most useful to you at the time as you will eventually get gear that will level your materia fast enough.

-Enemy Skill is fantastic. Keep it on someone always.

-You will eventually get a party member that can use Manipulate. This allows you to use enemy abilities on yourself without the randomness that comes with charming a monster. Very handy for filling out Enemy Skill.

-Fury status fills up your limit gauge faster. Keep a few Hypers (these are store items) to induce the status on yourself.

-Going up a Limit tier has different kill requirements per player character. Late game characters tend to need to kill less. Also don't just save limits for bosses. You need to keep using them in order to unlock higher level limits.

-Mid-game bosses will start to use elemental/status attacks. Tossing Added Effect/Elemental to your armor with that matera junctioned will help a lot. Alternatively Limit Breaks that multi-hit help even more.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
I know I've seen a lot of Shadowrun Returns advice in this thread, but when I google search it using the string I only end up with people asking for advice. The wiki has literally only one piece of advice for it before it goes into the other games, and I'm not sure what applies to returns, or is specific to those games. I've been playing for an hour and created an Elf Shaman and kinda been going hard on the charisma with just a splash in rifles, but my elementals seem to keep turning on me consistently. I keep the control perks leveled up the same as my summoning level (3 each right now), but am I supposed to be using level 1 elementals at this point? I don't wanna just waste money/effectiveness to test this. Also, shaman spells seem really underwhelming besides the +ap/speed ones which seem completely broken, so is it alright to get a bit of cyberware? Or do shaman spells get much, much better as time goes by?

Sorry for the loaded post, but shaman seems like a class that if built right is a powerhouse, but if not would be a wet noodle, and google isn't helping me out here in finding information about any of this.

(also thanks centipede for adding my Balrum advice to the wiki, I meant to get around to it myself but forgot about it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Xythe posted:

I know I've seen a lot of Shadowrun Returns advice in this thread, but when I google search it using the string I only end up with people asking for advice. The wiki has literally only one piece of advice for it before it goes into the other games, and I'm not sure what applies to returns, or is specific to those games. I've been playing for an hour and created an Elf Shaman and kinda been going hard on the charisma with just a splash in rifles, but my elementals seem to keep turning on me consistently. I keep the control perks leveled up the same as my summoning level (3 each right now), but am I supposed to be using level 1 elementals at this point? I don't wanna just waste money/effectiveness to test this. Also, shaman spells seem really underwhelming besides the +ap/speed ones which seem completely broken, so is it alright to get a bit of cyberware? Or do shaman spells get much, much better as time goes by?

Sorry for the loaded post, but shaman seems like a class that if built right is a powerhouse, but if not would be a wet noodle, and google isn't helping me out here in finding information about any of this.

(also thanks centipede for adding my Balrum advice to the wiki, I meant to get around to it myself but forgot about it.

The google search thread on the wiki's main page can be finicky. If it doesn't do it for you, try this thread instead with Forums Search:
code:
threadid:2969807 "[video game goes here]"
It'll bring up any posts where it's mentioned, which in Shadowrun's case is kind of a lot over the last couple years. Give it a shot!

As for your actual question, I have no idea. I went high quickness elf street samurai dude, but only played for about an hour.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Seduction is worthless. Don't waste points in it or Appearance.

There's a lot of skill books in the game that provide permanent boosts to your skills, but only if your Research skill is high enough to get them.

Don't waste points on computers early on - you can buy a cheap skillbook from the first shop that permanently increases it, but only if your skill is 0 or 1, and you can buy it twice, taking you from 0 to 2 for only a little bit of money, which is super easy to come by.

The same shop has a skillbook that raises firearms from 0 to 2. So don't waste character creation points on Firearms either.

Playing a Malkavian is fun, but you won't understand anything unless you've played the game already and know the plot.

Don't neglect your combat skills. The back half of the game is heavy with unavoidable unstealthable fights. Melee is fine for most of the game, but the final boss is almost unkillable without a ranged weapon of some sort, so plan on getting your shooting skill up sooner or later.

Additionally, there will come a section where you'll have to fight your way through an extended sewer level infested with weird monsters in search of some Nosferatu. That one's a long and pretty unfun slog with nothing much interesting happening along the way, so feel free to just use /noclip and skip through to the end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

double nine posted:

Surprisingly low in anime. The cutesy visuals are just to contrast with the brutality of what's going on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dizz posted:

There are 4 "hubs" in the game + some final dungeons before the end boss.

Don't do malkavian for first playthrough - they're a lot more fun as a second character due to the cryptic nature of their unique dialogue. gangrel are melee monsters - slice'n dice your way through enemies with claws. Tremere is really fun for ranged magic (literally boil their blood!!!), toreador are good shooty characters, nosferatu are stealth and melee but make some quests difficult to finish since you can't talk to some people, ventrue are talky/gunslingers similar to toreador but with mind control conversation spells. Gangrel are decent melee guys with nothing particularly interesting going on imo.

skills: Persuasion is mighty get it to 9 by the endgame at least. computer & lockpicking are very useful if you like exploring, for additional items and some alternative quest solutions. Stealth is good but you will need combat skills when you get discovered and to kill bosses.

Haggle is useless. so is inspection. Intimidation is borderline useless (there are about 2/3 uses total and it only gets you some petty cash), seduction is a more niche version of persuade if you are female, useless if you are male (are men bar 1 are straight, all women bar 1 are bisexual in this game...yeah.)

Early on guns are worthless compared to melee, but once you start getting your hands on some decent ones like the jaegerspaz (aka autoshotgun) or a brokk they start to pull their weight. Never use uzi-type weapons they are a money-sink in bullets and suck rear end damage-wise for anything beyond arms' length. Basically in santa monica guns suck, in hub 2 and onward melee and ranged weapons are mostly on par with each other.

It is entirely possible to play the game ranged only or melee only, but ranged only has a very difficult start due to lovely guns in santa monica. If you prefer ranged weaponry I'd suggest putting a few points into melee so you can baseball bat/knife your way through the first parts of the game, then switch once you get a decent pistol in downtown.

talk to everyone - lot's of dialogue fun in this game and the facial animations have aged very well for a game so old.

Last not least: people lie to you in this game. Figuring out who to trust is half the fun.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 22, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

-Actually, you can get by using streets as a Nossie just fine - people take time to notice you and raise panic, so if you hear a frightened gasp, just hide behind a corner or run away and you'll be fine. The only real difference is that you'll need to use the sewers to access hubs and some plot areas.
-Hell, might as well violate the Masquarade for fun and profit, it adds some more challenging ambushes.
-Might be obvious, but don't bother with Sneaking if you have Obfuscate - and if you don't, chances are you don't want to stealth that much anyway.
-Builds are pretty flexible, don't let your clan pigeonhole you into a role. You can do a Nosferatu or Gangrel gunslinger easily, for example. You'll generally find you won't be able to max all the disciplines anyway, letting one go is a perfectly valid choice.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 22, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xythe posted:

In order:

-Elementals will always turn on you in the end, you need to balance risk and reward. A good way to use them is to send them far into the enemy lines since when they snap they turn aggressive to everyone. I find it's advantageous to use them as high risk/high reward - always going for maximum AP.

-Your summoning is still pretty low so it's to be expected, keep at it. High level elementals get pretty drat powerful.

-Shaman spells aren't meant for offense, they're buffs and debuffs. You've correctly inferred that Haste is broken as gently caress; I don't remember what spells were in Returns as opposed to added in Dragonfall and HK but the evasion buffs and wall spells are all pretty great. You should also be able to get some poison clouds and disables - anything that hits AP is powerful.

-That being said, you probably won't be able to play a pure casting shaman too effectively, consider spending some points in a gun skill. The cool thing about the system is that it doesn't cost much karma to be slightly less bad as something, the prices start adding up as you specialize. You can also grab a couple points in mage spells, that'll give you access to healing and some low-end direct damage.

-If you have the other games and are trying to play them in order, I'd suggest skipping Returns and starting with Dragonfall. The campaign in Returns is pretty bad and the combat system got improved a lot between games. If you really want to play through Dead Man's Switch, you can import it into Dragonfall or HK and play it with updated mechanics.

-Cyberware on a magic class: don't, the cooldown penalties can be crippling. If you want to branch out, guns are probably a better way of doing it. Then again, I don't recall DMS being particularly hard so if you really want some shiny chrome, why not. As for why to stick to high-end shaman magic, two words: Haste. Two.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 22, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

-Actually, you can get by using streets as a Nossie just fine - people take time to notice you and raise panic, so if you hear a frightened gasp, just hide behind a corner or run away and you'll be fine. The only real differnce is that you'll need to use the sewers to access hubs and some plot areas.
I just ran across the other end of the street from wherever people stood, and either the distance or the short time meant basically no one noticed me. So yeah, it's really quite easy, and some of the dialog options are fairly funny.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Up to the Elves posted:

If you're playing the Steam or PS4 release then you get cheat codes. The game's pretty overall but don't be afraid to turn off random battles or speed up the game if you want to explore.

I'm replaying it for the first time since 1999 and it's surprising how much hidden stuff and visual gags are in the game. Take your time exploring the environments, talk to NPCs when you revisit areas after major events, and press X against every object. It really is loaded with minor details you can miss which got ironed out from later Final Fantasy's.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

anilEhilated posted:

In order:
-If you have the other games and are trying to play them in order, I'd suggest skipping Returns and starting with Dragonfall. The campaign in Returns is pretty bad and the combat system got improved a lot between games. If you really want to play through Dead Man's Switch, you can import it into Dragonfall or HK and play it with updated mechanics.

I can't speak to updated mechanics but I don't recommend skipping Dead Man's Switch at all if you were a fan of Shadowrun's (or even Earthdawn's) worldbuilding. The whole game is a love letter to some of the central setting conceits and while it means that if you've ever read a Shadowrun sourcebook the "twist" is more of a countdown to the characters figuring out what you already know, it's really fun interacting with all these major players from the world.

And now I want to finally play Dragonfall.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Anything for Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song? I'm a SaGa series vet so I know about encounter rating and sparking techs etc. Just wondering about some things particular to that game. Which events are good and easily missable, which characters are great/trash, how the gently caress the class system works, etc.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Any tips for Soma?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anything for Strider (2014)?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dizz posted:

All of the gameplay tips have been covered, but make sure you install the unofficial patch, it smooths out a couple really bullshit areas late in the game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for Soma?

If monster hide and seek irritates you enough you can mod it out, but other than that you shouldn't know anything going in.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just got that Sega Humble Bundle. Tips on where to start with Shogun Total War 2 and Dawn of War 2? Even just which version to install to start. Retribution seems to have all the old content, right? As for Shogun, I've had the game for a while, but wasn't able to get into it. This is Fall of the Samurai, does not integrate into the base game or is it totally separate?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Retribution only has its own campaigns and the current version of Last Stand. You need to install base DoW2 and Chaos Rising to play those campaigns, though it's worth noting that the Steamworks integration left things weird. IIRC, you have to install both to be able to play through both campaigns together, but each entry in your library is technically a totally separate game for the purposes of achievements and stats and stuff.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ryoshi posted:

I can't speak to updated mechanics but I don't recommend skipping Dead Man's Switch at all if you were a fan of Shadowrun's (or even Earthdawn's) worldbuilding. The whole game is a love letter to some of the central setting conceits and while it means that if you've ever read a Shadowrun sourcebook the "twist" is more of a countdown to the characters figuring out what you already know, it's really fun interacting with all these major players from the world.

You're pretty much playing Shadowrun Returns for the atmosphere and dialog. The combat is pretty easy. Even at Hard difficulty, the only real challenge you'll face is the final bossfight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Anything for Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song? I'm a SaGa series vet so I know about encounter rating and sparking techs etc. Just wondering about some things particular to that game. Which events are good and easily missable, which characters are great/trash, how the gently caress the class system works, etc.

You need to work hard to keep your BR low until you get a quest in Melvir to retrieve the Moonstone. It's a pretty poo poo-tier accessory, but it becomes useful all the way at the end of the game when you fight the final boss because it makes you immune to one of his more annoying spells.

The boss fight in that quest is super hard though so make sure you level your classes and forge up your equipment a little. Read this walkthrough for a pretty good description of how to temper items properly. It even has a list of materials so you know what you need for the weapons you want to use.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 23, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stan Taylor posted:

Just got that Sega Humble Bundle. Tips on where to start with Shogun Total War 2 and Dawn of War 2? Even just which version to install to start. Retribution seems to have all the old content, right? As for Shogun, I've had the game for a while, but wasn't able to get into it. This is Fall of the Samurai, does not integrate into the base game or is it totally separate?

For DoW2, I found the initial campaign and the Chaos Rising campaign to be significantly more fun than the Retribution campaigns. There are technically different races you can play in Retribution, but they're all on the same maps and stuff.

Regarding actual tips, in vanilla DoW2 have a plan for what you want to spend your points on for various characters. You can't bring everyone on every mission, so it's fine to just focus on your favorites. There are some missions where one of your guys will insist on coming along, or they'll take a corruption hit. The whole corruption system is basically pointless, because none of the corrupting gear is significantly better than regular gear and the little bit of corruption you get from telling someone to go sit in a corner because he can't come on his favorite mission is nothing. As a non-spoilery aside, there is a thing near the end that hinges on whoever your most corrupt unit is. Beyond that, it doesn't really affect much as I recall.

Don't be afraid to use your consumables (grenades, demo charges). Don't neglect grabbing the bonus buildings on the maps, those bonuses add up over time. When you get to the missions where you fight huge bosses near the end, the game is basically done. They're repeatable, and that gets you Terminator armor. I think you can farm enough for everybody (except obviously your dreadnaught) if you want to, but it's really more of a bonus than anything. It's not strictly necessary. All the units are viable, take whoever you like that suits your tastes.

When you do Chaos Rising, you can import your guys partially, but due to events in the story your good poo poo (like the Terminator Armor) is damaged and can't be used for balance reasons. The Librarian in Chaos Rising is a very strong unit.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for Soma?

Don't bother because it isn't good at all.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Fall is its own campaign map if I recall. The thing in the early game is to get a decent amount of expansion fast and to get your income stream going fast. To that end I suggest starting out on the west island. There are trade nodes near there so you get your harbors upgraded to send out tradeboats to them and then you have stuff that other people will want to trade for. Eventually you want warships to back them up but it will take the ai a while to catch up on that front, they aren't too sloppy about getting to the trade posts first though. You should also upgrade your farms as fast as you can.

Initially you should just stick with truckloads of peasant troops, an army of top troops will wreck an army of peasants but when the peasants outweigh the top troops and engage them on multiple fronts its going to go badly. Your troops are also bad at disengaging once engaged unless the people fighting them shatter. So you have to be sure you want to commit. Archers are really good all game long, i got a lot of mileage out of them but especially in the early game they can chew up other peasant troops.

The most effective way to win is as always defending. So if you can get them to attack or if you can defend a town that's better.

On the faction screen there is a measure of clan reputation or glory or something like that. The closer you get to the point of max glory the more you should slow down your expansion. Things will get pretty hostile after that fills so you really want to do a lot of your upgrading before.

Oh on the topic of religion, I always found the christians more trouble than its worth. While you are converting you just get a lot of rebellions and when you're at war constantly its a major hassle.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Twitch posted:

All of the gameplay tips have been covered, but make sure you install the unofficial patch, it smooths out a couple really bullshit areas late in the game.
I just joined the Vampire: Bloodlines group in Steam last week on a lark, and suddenly the other day there was an announcement that they just released a new patch. Who are these people still updating this game after going-on-15 years?