Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
poo poo new page.

I recommend reading the Gaiman Eternals 7 issue mini. It is competent and obviously supposed to be a long term title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's fine if you don't like it, but it's silly to suggest someone read a story but not read chapter 10 of 10. (Or, really, chapter 30 of 30, since it really started with F4.)

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

It's fine if you don't like it, but it's silly to suggest someone read a story but not read chapter 10 of 10. (Or, really, chapter 30 of 30, since it really started with F4.)

I believe you mean chapter 9 of 8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Secret Wars is absolutely the finale of his Avengers/New Avengers story. It's not an epilogue. Without it, the story ends on a portal between 616 and Ultimate opening.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Secret Wars is absolutely the finale of his Avengers/New Avengers story. It's not an epilogue. Without it, the story ends on a portal between 616 and Ultimate opening.

I'm making a joke because Secret Wars was originally 8 issues, but then was stretched out into 9.
I guess I shouldn't say stretched, more like portioned into 9.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How essential is Nocenti's run on DD?

E: I hope not very, because they only have through #276 on MU

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 23, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

I'm making a joke because Secret Wars was originally 8 issues, but then was stretched out into 9.
I guess I shouldn't say stretched, more like portioned into 9.

:doh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

zoux posted:

Yeah they are missing a lot of the original DD run. same with the Punisher stuff.

We do get the the complete run of Amazing Spider-Man. All issues baby.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

I poked the sloppy conclusion hornets nest.

Also the only good SW mini series was written by Dan Slott. Skip the rest.

I didn't even read Renew Your Vows and I know that's bullshit. Nothing that introduced a nothing villain that Slott is SURE is the Next Big Thing can be that good. Plus, Runaways, Captain Britain, Siege and X-Men '92 were all really good for different reasons. The sheer spectacle and the way Siege linked into the main book while still basically being The Night's Watch in spandex. The echoing of tone if not plot of the original Runaways. The weirdness of mashing up the MU and 2000AD in Captain Britain (plus Ewing remembering Faiza exists) and the sheer comedy that was borne from throwing a poo poo-ton of Morrison at the animated X-Men. (I liked A-Force as well, but it was, to be fair, a lot of set-up for an ongoing book that is much better, probably due to Kelly Thompson)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Planet Hulk is a pretty fun mini in SW, if only for Steve Rogers + Devil DInosaur vs Hulks. Also, I started reading Marvel stuff midway through SW, and decided to read that before A/NA. So confused. Somewhat related: on MU, the final issue of Earth X is placed at the start, which similarly confused the bugger out of me.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

zoux posted:

It starts off suprisingly well and has 2 key happenings. Stop when the Typhoid Mary story ends otherwise you'll end up reading some real dog poo poo stories.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Besides the Frank Miller stuff, what are some good Elektra stories?

EDIT: Also, are the old Power Man and Iron Fist comics any good? Been enjoying the new series and got curious about the classic one.

radlum fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 23, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I enjoyed the Marvel Now! Series.
Great Mike Del Mundo Art.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I wanted to get back into stuff now that I have some free time. Can someone fill me in on a reading order for the new DC stuff? I remember hearing some stuff about a war between darkseid and the antimonitor as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Might as well just wait for Rebirth at this point. It's only a couple months away.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Might as well just wait for Rebirth at this point. It's only a couple months away.

Wait is DC rebooting again?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Wait is DC rebooting again?

Rebooting? No. They're Rebirthing. And no, nobody really knows what that means at this point except that all the books except two (Action and Detective) are starting over at #1 with new teams and that over half the line is moving to twice a month. Action and Detective are going back to their old numbering.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That company man...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That company man...

Eh, it's kind of a mixed bag. There's been some promising stuff said and some really dumb stuff, like the aforementioned double shipping of over half of their books. Because everyone is just waiting to read Deathstroke and Cyborg twice a month.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Eh, it's kind of a mixed bag. There's been some promising stuff said and some really dumb stuff, like the aforementioned double shipping of over half of their books. Because everyone is just waiting to read Deathstroke and Cyborg twice a month.

I just saw your edit but yeah, unless Warren Ellis is taking over I don't think Cyborg justifies twice a month at all. Is this where they roll back all the indie Marvelish poo poo they were letting people do like on Black Canary?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I just saw your edit but yeah, unless Warren Ellis is taking over I don't think Cyborg justifies twice a month at all. Is this where they roll back all the indie Marvelish poo poo they were letting people do like on Black Canary?

By all accounts DCYou was seen as a failure. I mean there's good stuff like Tom King writing Batman, but it's shipping twice a month like ever other major book so my guess is that the art is going to suffer as it almost always does with long term double shipping. Unless they have really good artists rotating arcs, but even then it'll eventually catch up.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

Rebooting? No. They're Rebirthing. And no, nobody really knows what that means at this point except that all the books except two (Action and Detective) are starting over at #1 with new teams and that over half the line is moving to twice a month. Action and Detective are going back to their old numbering.
At this point I don't think we can even be sure of this. Their June solicits had a handful of titles continuing on with their current numbering, like Red Hood, Cyborg, and a few others.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

At this point I don't think we can even be sure of this. Their June solicits had a handful of titles continuing on with their current numbering, like Red Hood, Cyborg, and a few others.

That's the last of the N52 books. Red Hood relaunches with #1 in July and Cyborg in the Fall.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Amdis posted:

I wanted to get back into stuff now that I have some free time. Can someone fill me in on a reading order for the new DC stuff? I remember hearing some stuff about a war between darkseid and the antimonitor as well.

Justice League #30 is a good place to jump on for the Darkseid War. Maybe read up on what Trinity War/Forever Evil was (without actually reading that comics) It's been really fun.

Everything else, just start at the start of writer's runs with some Googling, like Snyder's Batman from #1, Pak's Action Comics from #25, Lemire's Green Arrow from #17, ect.
When new writers come on, they've tend to be fairly fresh starts.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How come there is a Daredevil 1-10 by Waid then there is another Daredevil 1-10 by Waid.

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Mark-Waid-Vol-1/dp/0785168060/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458787839&sr=8-1&keywords=daredevil+waid

and

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Mark-Waid-Chris-Samnee/dp/0785195343/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NHENB2S3APJ2TDTTYX3

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cause Marv loving loves to relaunch a comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 24, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least those weren't both launched in the same year.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause Marv loving loves to relaunch a comic.

Who the gently caress is Marv and why would he relaunch a comic before the first one is finish?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Who the gently caress is Marv and why would he relaunch a comic before the first one is finish?
Marvel, and they didn't. Daredevil ended at uhhhhh #24 or something?, they did a short mini-series (digital-only?) of him moving to San Francisco, then Daredevil relaunched at #1 and a new artist. It's really all the same series and the hardcovers/trades are numbered as such.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Vol. 3 under Waid ran up to #36 (with a couple of .1 issues), then Waid/Samnee relaunched Vol. 4 which ran up to #18 or so (also with a couple of .1/.5 issues). The relaunch was probably to just give Waid/Samnee a #1 together, or maybe just because the status quo was changing and it was seen as a jumping on point.

The book is now on Vol. 5 since it was relaunched as part of All-New Marvel Now under Charles Soule.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Apologies if I've asked before, but is Longshot by Ann Nocenti and Art Adams good? I'm sure the art is gorgeous, but is it the kind of thing you'd want to read more than once?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel, and they didn't. Daredevil ended at uhhhhh #24 or something?, they did a short mini-series (digital-only?) of him moving to San Francisco, then Daredevil relaunched at #1 and a new artist. It's really all the same series and the hardcovers/trades are numbered as such.

Ugh. That's probably why I didn't see it. I only purchased the HCs.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Hey I am loving Al Ewing on New Avengers and Ultimates so I was going to check out his Loki run, can I just start at the beginning of Loki: Agent of Asgard or do I have to start from Journey into Mystery. Is it easy to pick up?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You should start from Kid Loki JiM!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd say pick up Journey into Mystery. It's a) amazing and b) is used as a basis for Ewings (also amazing) run.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thirding that. You COULD do Ewing's run without reading JIM, but JIM is fantastic. Also all of it and the Ewing run are on Unlimited

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If you do decide to start with JiM I would recommend reading Gillen's Young Avengers as that continues the Kid Loki story and I think ties into Ewings Loki. Plus it is pretty good light reading.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Cool where should I start from? I have unlimited so it's no money out of my pocket

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

trashbuilder posted:

Cool where should I start from? I have unlimited so it's no money out of my pocket

I can't link from my phone so search amazon for the journey into mystery complete collections by gillen, the item descriptions will list the issue numbers. On the 2nd collection it'll list some new mutants and Thor issues, which are important for reading a crossover and an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

trashbuilder posted:

Here's a reading list of everything involving Kid Loki,When I read it I just started with JiM 622. The list isn't completely up to date, but you just go straight from Young Avengers Vol. 2 to Loki: Agent of Asgard.
The pre JiM stuff really isn't that important, it all gets effectively re-capped.

Edit: forgot the link.
http://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 24, 2016