Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lanz posted:

I need more information about this show now I think :ohdear:

There's an island in the sky on which a bunch of giant alien robots (buranki) who want to terraform Earth sleep. Ten years ago, when they were young children living on the island for reasons not yet revealed, the protagonist and his sister woke up a buranki which proceeded to fall to Earth and lay waste to a good chunk of Japan, which is now under the totalitarian rule of a madwoman stuck in the body of a 16 year old and her four enforcers, because up until the start of the show she's the only person capable of controlling her own giant alien robot to defend the world against the buranki, and she beat the one that fell down a decade ago. Some people have sentient weapons called bubuki which let them fly, shield themselves and generally be badass, and under the right circumstances, these can turn into the limbs of a buranki, which allows their wielders to control a buranki of their own. The latest episode introduced a team each of Russian and American bubuki wielders trying to get their own buranki.

It has cool characters with cool designs, cool mecha designs, really good voice acting and is good-looking CGI, but I don't know if the comparison to Giant Robo is really warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It was mostly because the first time they summoned Oubu, all the kids were on the outside of the suit, GR style. but yeah, that comparison's sort of fallen apart. I don't know any more about the show than anyone else, I just think it's pretty great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Muffinlord posted:

It was mostly because the first time they summoned Oubu, all the kids were on the outside of the suit, GR style. but yeah, that comparison's sort of fallen apart. I don't know any more about the show than anyone else, I just think it's pretty great.

It is GR-esque in that the show is pushing some very charismatic and characterful antagonists with unique powers, at least.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

It is GR-esque in that the show is pushing some very charismatic and characterful antagonists with unique powers, at least.

Reoko's conduct in that last fight honestly has me rooting for her.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Artum posted:

Reoko's conduct in that last fight honestly has me rooting for her.

I wouldn't go as far as rooting for her, but the fact that she clearly hates buranki with a murderous passion has done a lot to humanise her and make me interested in her character.

This is the first show I've seen where the VAs get to actually make anguished cries of rage and sound like they're trying to murder someone. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wouldn't go as far as rooting for her, but the fact that she clearly hates buranki with a murderous passion has done a lot to humanise her and make me interested in her character.

This is the first show I've seen where the VAs get to actually make anguished cries of rage and sound like they're trying to murder someone. :v:

Say what you will of her ruthless persecution of anyone who could theoretically oppose her, anyone who stands alone defending the world against destruction by headbutting the enemy to death is okay by me.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

https://a.pomf.cat/nykdrc.webm

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got in a Getter mood and started rewatching Getter Robo Armageddon and man i wish i lived in the alternate universe where Imagawa stayed on for the whole series

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

I got in a Getter mood and started rewatching Getter Robo Armageddon and man i wish i lived in the alternate universe where Imagawa stayed on for the whole series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGRRacZjkg

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Ijust started watching Code Geass Akito The Exiled

between it and Thunderbolt, I think it's pretty clear that more mecha shows need jazz soundtracks

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is the Gunbuster movie good? I'm gonna show it to a friend and I'm not sure if we can finish the OVA's in one sitting, is the movie compete garbage or does it condense the story well enough?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/713074983770177537

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

quote:

Instead, they opted to play to a wide age group by giving Voltron an epic Game of Thrones feel with some humor, and upping the danger level.

ah

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Demicol posted:

Is the Gunbuster movie good? I'm gonna show it to a friend and I'm not sure if we can finish the OVA's in one sitting, is the movie compete garbage or does it condense the story well enough?

The movie cuts out a lot - Jung's not in it at all, for example - and loses a lot of the feel of escalation that's a big part of Gunbuster. It's alright I guess, but I don't think it's a good way to see Gunbuster.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:cripes:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
huh

maybe i should watch netflix voltron.

it's still irascibly weird that this anime that was always meant to be an anime is now pretty much a western property. like they sort of tried in the 90s to make voltron all cool and redesigned (and failed horribly) but now it's just, yeah, that's golion right there

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

huh

it's still irascibly weird that this anime that was always meant to be an anime is now pretty much a western property. like they sort of tried in the 90s to make voltron all cool and redesigned (and failed horribly) but now it's just, yeah, that's golion right there

I think it's interesting in that it's still remembered in the west

People know what Voltron is and you can make a few jokes about it that many will understand

Meanwhile, Golion is long forgotten because when it was made, it was yet another of a certain type of show so it didn't have staying power at all

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

it's kind of the same situation with speed racer

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That article makes it sound like a total reboot/remake/whatever, which is almost a surprise. All previous Voltron extension seasons/shows seemed to probably be continuations from each other, other than maybe Voltron Force ignored 3D.

Here's hoping it's good, anyway.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

Guys, Toonami is co-producing new seasons of FLCL. we all have to support it. I don't care what your opinion of the new FLCL is, because if it's successful, Toonami might make more sequels to classic old Toonami animes.

This is the best shot we have at getting a Frozen Teardrop anime.

Big O season 3.

Dare I dream?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Artum posted:

Big O season 3.

Dare I dream?

I never considered that and now I need it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
gently caress man FMP! got picked up 11 years later, I really don't want to get my hopes up but its definitely there now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Artum posted:

Big O season 3.

Dare I dream?

this is a terrible idea and shouldn't happen

it's okay for shows to end.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

dogsicle posted:

No doubt. Doesn't stop me being curious since it wasn't originally going to end where it did.

badpostingedit: like if i recall it wasn't even a shin great mazinger thing where it was never going to happen imagawa just does that, big O season 3 didn't happen because the show wasn't popular.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Did Big O have a proper ending? I hear mixed things about this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Darth Walrus posted:

... Define 'proper'.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

it ends on a universe reset, with a similar voiceover to the very first episode. things are subtly different but mostly the same, so it's one of those "come full circle" deals

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
nah, the first play finished so they're holding it again on the second night, but with some revisions to the script

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

nah, the first play finished so they're holding it again on the second night, but with some revisions to the script

that's valid too. i don't think i can choose which interpretation of the ending i like better, which is cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gyra_Solune posted:

huh

Harmony Gold tried for a while to do the same thing with Robotech and that also failed spectacularly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

Harmony Gold tried for a while to do the same thing with Robotech and that also failed spectacularly.

it's amazing how poorly they've handled that IP

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
how the gently caress is harmony gold still in business

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

how the gently caress is harmony gold still in business

they're mainly a real estate business or something.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Demicol posted:

I think the run time difference is roughly 1 episode of the OVA, and it's only 6x25minutes anyway. Even if you have to split it up in to a 4 ep session and then the last 2 later I'd say it's worth getting the full experience instead of having Jung get deleted from an already short OVA. I mean short in absolute terms, it's just the right length for itself!

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 25, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It's a shame because they could exploit Robotech in all sorts of interesting ways, but they either do the exact opposite or nothing at al.

As for Gunbuster, I think the OVA is the right way to go. There are people who dislike the first couple of entries, but they're all wrong. :colbert:

The movie doesn't ruin the story or anything. It's just a little more compressed.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 25, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motto posted:

they're mainly a real estate business or something.

Yup, and somehow they were tied up with Italian scumbag Silvio Berlusconi.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Big O's ending owns. It's a cool twist on the nonlinear storytelling noir films typically employ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing i heard about robotech wad that awful movie thing a few years ago and rick hunter being hitler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

I think the run time difference is roughly 1 episode of the OVA, and it's only 6x25minutes anyway. Even if you have to split it up in to a 4 ep session and then the last 2 later I'd say it's worth getting the full experience instead of having Jung get deleted from an already short OVA. I mean short in absolute terms, it's just the right length for itself!

Yeah we ended up watching the OVA's instead. I'm kind of curious how the movie works without Jung now.