Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wonder who'll replace Zeorymer in the J plot. I mean, there probably won't be, but it would be cool.

Changing subject, I've been doing a New Game+ of gba OG2 and EX-Hard is bullshit.

too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ShiunTouya posted:

It did Finger Cleave right at the end of the trailer.

Yeah, but the animation for that started off almost exactly like Orgonite Buster. Is it asking for too much to not recycle animations in the same trailer?

The real disappointment was the GC enemies though. Come on Banpresto, for once you have a male pilot being a primarily ranged attacker and a female pilot being (mixed but slanted towards) melee, and you decide to have the male use a melee attack and the female be ranged?

It's probably so they can pair up with their respective siblings but eeeeeeeeh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ryoga posted:

too easy

Yes. Good.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That needs to be in the OP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GimmickMan posted:

That needs to be in the OP.
I think I'm gonna start working on a new OP here pretty soon announcing that there's a game on the ps4 now and in English. It will probably be simpler than the current one and just say it's basically Fire Emblem but with anime robots, since FE seems to be something everyone understands by now.

edit: it's gonna go like

Hey this is Super Robot Wars, it started around the same time as FE but stars anime robots

original series: hard, outdated
alpha: pretty easy, most famous
Z: started good but got really muddled
other games and spinoffs: you might have already played some
OG: pay attention to these

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 24, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009

Phlogistic posted:

There'll probably be a major announcement around the time they release a PV2. And let's not forget that not only do they save some stuff for later PVs (the early stuff for OG 2nd didn't even hint at SRW EX, for instance) but there's always something big that isn't shown in previews at all, something they leave for people to find only when the game is released. There was the Inspectors in OG2, the Shura in OGs 2.5, I think the MX subplot in OG Gaiden, and the Guests in OG 2nd.

I'm still hoping for an unannounced appearance for the W crew.

Yeah, it wasnt until PV2 or 3 that they snuck Raioh in at the end and I poo poo my pants.

e: in vaguely SRW related news, the new Gundam G Gen game will be in English as well, coming late 2016.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, so uh Bamco just announced another Gundam game is getting an English translation.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/sd-gundam-g-generation-genesis-ps4-ps-vita-english-version-coming-asia-late-2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Hey, so uh Bamco just announced another Gundam game is getting an English translation.

http://gematsu.com/2016/03/sd-gundam-g-generation-genesis-ps4-ps-vita-english-version-coming-asia-late-2016

Okay, sure, keep that up guys.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Breaker, G Gen, SRW all in English.

What a time to be into big robits.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They are all going to bomb horribly and sour bamco on doing any more translations for at least 2 decades

KoB
May 1, 2009
I'd be interested to know how many sales would make them break even for purely text translations of digital only games.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I dunno. Digimon got brought over and got a physical release too and didn't sell completely like rear end so I wouldn't be surprised if Gundam made its money back if they stick to digital.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

They are all going to bomb horribly and sour bamco on doing any more translations for at least 2 decades

no you shut the gently caress up I WANT TO BELIEVE :smith:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well if they machine translate everything...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

At a time like this, it can't be helped.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Rascyc posted:

Well if they machine translate everything...

Worked for Digimon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

no you shut the gently caress up I WANT TO BELIEVE :smith:

Yeah. I'm usually super pessimistic about these but the numbers are mounting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone at bandai has to lock up the gundam people and force them to learn about steam

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its weird that Compikaiser is their, like, frontrunner OG guy now. Hes always in the first reveal these days.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I'm late to the PV party, but that was some Good Yelling from Touya.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Someone at bandai has to lock up the gundam people and force them to learn about steam
They'd have to first convince them that the PC platform is not solely for visual novels/eroge.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AradoBalanga posted:

They'd have to first convince them that the PC platform is not solely for visual novels/eroge.
Bamco did make a Gundam-like f2p PC game. It bombed.

Also you forgot indie shmups.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Tales came to steam, anything can happen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bamco did make a Gundam-like f2p PC game. It bombed.

Also you forgot indie shmups.

That was a lovely game that was going to bomb regardless. No support, bad concept, and it wasn't Gundam.

Hyper Neptunia sells more in the West, anything can happen with actual marketing support.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

KoB posted:

Tales came to steam, anything can happen.

Monkey's paw: Steam rerelease of the original OG games for the GBA.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
On one hand having the English version will make playing this much easier. On the other hand I want that limited first press set which will never come state side. :negative: first world problems....

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

AradoBalanga posted:

There's a joke here about SRW being pretty much a visual novel.

KoB posted:

Its weird that Compikaiser is their, like, frontrunner OG guy now. Hes always in the first reveal these days.

You snooze, you lose and Kyosuke clearly snoozed. Or maybe when they get Obari in to do stuff they go "we'll put hella Obari all over the PV and cover" to be nice.

Revolver Bunker posted:

On one hand having the English version will make playing this much easier. On the other hand I want that limited first press set which will never come state side. :negative: first world problems....

USA isn't confirmed yet, right, just English text in the non-Japan Asia versions? So if that gets the first press set get that, it's all region free anyway. And then get the local release when it happens 6 months later to support the dealio! Nailed it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They're probably going to have Compatikaiser take over Mazinger's role in J.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I can't wait for Compatikaiser to get its new upgrade, Compatikaiserkaiser.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Didn't the initial release info say that Touya goes to the same school as Kouta?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I would have thought the machine child would be the front liner after OGs2.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Rascyc posted:

I would have thought the machine child would be the front liner after OGs2.

The less I see of ORIGINAL MACHINERY CHILDREN DO NOT STEAL the better.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A conversation I had recently reminded me of the Angels in Z3, generally how they were the worst possible incarnation of Z3's "freedom" theme and specifically that Z had already done it way better with the Black History, Time Prison, and both times in Paradigm.

The point I'm getting at is I think an SRW written around Big O would be super neat, something low and urban and conspiratorial. Maybe actually get the Union involved.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

The less I see of ORIGINAL MACHINERY CHILDREN DO NOT STEAL the better.

Ing is the best. Its like they saw Kira Yamato in the Strike Freedom and thought "How could we possibly make an original even more absurd than this guy?" and then then they actually pulled it off somehow. :allears:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

GimmickMan posted:

Ing is the best. Its like they saw Kira Yamato in the Strike Freedom and thought "How could we possibly make an original even more absurd than this guy?" and then then they actually pulled it off somehow. :allears:

I've had discussions with friends about the pitfalls of the "Wouldn't it be cool if" style of writing, where something totally drastic or cool happens without any regard for the actual repercussions of this or how it affects or diminishes the larger narrative, such as in Code Geass where Jeremiah shows up with this Geass Canceller thing that has the potential to change everything but only ends up getting used to fuel a single instance of "wouldn't it be dramatic if" memory restoration, then gets more or less ignored for the rest of the series.

SRW OGs2 managed to pull off "Wouldn't it be cool if" for pretty much the entire game while avoiding all of those pitfalls. It left me very impressed at the end of the game.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 26, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ing is 60 chapters of unbearable cliche and then halfway through the very last chapter the game goes "but actually his whole character was a troll! :master:"

To this day I don't know if by saying that I mean it's bad or not.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

His machine is literally called the Exexbein.

Ing is the best worst character ever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I've had discussions with friends about the pitfalls of the "Wouldn't it be cool if" style of writing, where something totally drastic or cool happens without any regard for the actual repercussions of this or how it affects or diminishes the larger narrative, such as in Code Geass where Jeremiah shows up with this Geass Canceller thing that has the potential to change everything but only ends up getting used to fuel a single instance of "wouldn't it be dramatic if" memory restoration, then gets more or less ignored for the rest of the series.

SRW OGs2 managed to pull off "Wouldn't it be cool if" for pretty much the entire game while avoiding all of those pitfalls. It left me very impressed at the end of the game.

It is weird, OG makes way more sense than it should given there's giant robots that transform into horses, which you'd think would give them a blank check to be as stupid with the writing as they could get without a care in the world. I would probably find Ing, and a lot of OG characters like Ryusei, terribly unbearable if the writing wasn't blatantly self aware as well. They're very trite characters in theory but the execution is usually entertaining and it pulls off wacky twists without insulting your intelligence with contradictory retcons or the like.

I mean they make mistakes in a lot of other ways but credit where credit is due at least.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I like Ing, and I like where his story went because it did a nice job of subverting those sorts of things a little.

I also like that scene where after all the stupid revelations he's had info-dumped on him he gets to discover that he likes sweet things in a cute little scene. I'm hoping if he appears in Moon Dwellers he's getting a chance to I dunno... live? Though that raises a lot of questions regarding who would even look after a kid like Ing and how do we stop Irm from teaching him bad habits.

BlitzBlast posted:

His machine is literally called the Exexbein.

Ing is the best worst character ever.

When I found out that the rune "Ing" is basically like one X on top of another I had one of those "You cheeky buggers" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Hokuto posted:

To be fair, the actual process of writing for a weekly anime and for a crossover game can be two different beasts, since the more detail you try to include in an episodic script often means more limited animation resources will be required in order to follow-up on stuff that a SRW game can easily cover in a few extra text boxes or recorded speeches (which are presumably less expensive). Just as games can be rushed, anime series can be altered in arguably more severe ways. There were cuts and changes to the Code Geass scripts, especially in season two. But I don't think every element with "potential" needs to be explored in order to earn the right to be included in a TV show or SRW title. Some things are just there for entertainment purposes after all. Even if we were to consider the larger narrative of said anime, I didn't think it ever called for the device in question to be truly essential.

It's quite nice when every element in a script has relevant repercussions and is visibly kept in mind the entire time, which is arguably for the best according to our current socially constructed standards, but I think there's still value even when that is not really the case. For instance, I don't lose much sleep over every loose end or unfortunately discarded idea found throughout the vast history of the SRW property (although I am somewhat bummed about how, say, Giant Robo OVA content couldn't be used after Alpha if that counts). Either way, it's good that the SRW team was able to make OGs2 more consistent in this respect.

wielder fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 27, 2016

• Locked thread