Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
:gas: <- bolded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Yeah this is way too good.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Well, I'm extremely negligent and lazy so it's 4 instead of noon, but voting's closed and the winner is Mega Maid.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Incidentally, Cool Ghost, have you been summoning GFs? I can't recall if you have been. I only ask since Mega Maid actually does go from suck to blow in her animation. :v:

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I've been trying to summon them, yeah.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm gonna guess that the fish Fujin caught was a pufferfish (aka "fugu") and the reason he wasn't affected by the toxin is some dumb Japanese pun that got lost in translation.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm gonna guess that the fish Fujin caught was a pufferfish (aka "fugu") and the reason he wasn't affected by the toxin is some dumb Japanese pun that got lost in translation.

That'd make sense...except the guy is Raijin.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Their names rhyme and they're both Seifer's flunkies. As far as I'm concerned they're just two halves of one character.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always liked Fujin. She has quite the unique design for a FF lady.

Also her speech pattern is INTERESTING.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

AFFIRMATIVE.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Not sure about the eyepatch though. Maybe it's for the same reason, like in a backstory that never gets explained in game she got injured and can now only speak through a voice box.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not sure about the eyepatch though. Maybe it's for the same reason, like in a backstory that never gets explained in game she got injured and can now only speak through a voice box.

Maybe she also got injured in a duel with Seifer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

Maybe she also got injured in a duel with Seifer.

I'd believe it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

NikkolasKing posted:

I believe this was gone over before, but in japan, she used the Simple Alphabet. Short, concise words.
Sadly, we English Speakers don't have an equivalent, so ALL CAPS IT IS.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Silegna posted:

I believe this was gone over before, but in japan, she used the Simple Alphabet. Short, concise words.
Sadly, we English Speakers don't have an equivalent, so ALL CAPS IT IS.

Well, she speaks in kanji, which is kind of the opposite of a simple alphabet, but yeah. Very hard to localize in a way that makes much sense.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Well, if there were a way to localize something like that, it'd probably be down to the method of keeping the one to two-word sentences, but using highly specialized and intelligent-sounding words. From what I gather, she's supposed to be like the quiet intellectual.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well her two favorite words are AFFIRMATIVE and NEGATIVE, so I think they were going for that. If they'd gone full Thesaurus Rex, it would've just been obnoxious.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Got sent here, gonna catch up over the next few weeks I guess. So far it looks good!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Magic Fanatic posted:

Well, if there were a way to localize something like that, it'd probably be down to the method of keeping the one to two-word sentences, but using highly specialized and intelligent-sounding words. From what I gather, she's supposed to be like the quiet intellectual.

I think concise two-to- three word sentences with no contractions would have worked better than what they went with. Something like:
"Where is Seifer?"

As opposed to
"SEIFER?"

Or whatever it was they went with when Squall runs into them at Galbadia. It at least keeps the idea that she doesn't speak a lot and makes her seem less shouty. I understand what they were going when they localized her that way and I can certainly see why they went with that...because I'll be damned if I could think of anything better. Especially at a time where English translators weren't given a whole lot to go on and had some pretty ridiculous deadlines.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I believe that's what they went with for her in Kingdom Hearts II, actually.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, it came off a lot better there, I think.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
When I think about Fujin speaking all in kanji in Japanese, I get the sense of a very direct and/or declarative form of speaking. I think the weirdest part is that they put all her lines in all caps in the English version, so now instead of just being extremely curt, she's shouting all the time.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

I think concise two-to- three word sentences with no contractions would have worked better than what they went with. Something like:
"Where is Seifer?"

You instantly took me back 7 months there waiting for 'MGSV; The Phantom Pain' there reading that, as that line is exactly asked much in the tone Fujin could use in the Ground Zeroes post credits.

I mean Cipher and Seifer are far from spelled the same, but still.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The thing about using only kanji is that she can't use any grammar whatsoever. Mostly just nouns and unconjugated verbs. I don't think it's possible to form a complete sentence of any kind, not even a short one. So I would get the impression that she's just saying individual words and hoping context gets across what she's trying to say.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Cool Ghost posted:

...Who sleeps on a roof?

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

"Where is Seifer?"

As opposed to
"SEIFER?"

Or whatever it was they went with when Squall runs into them at Galbadia. It at least keeps the idea that she doesn't speak a lot and makes her seem less shouty. I understand what they were going when they localized her that way and I can certainly see why they went with that...because I'll be damned if I could think of anything better. Especially at a time where English translators weren't given a whole lot to go on and had some pretty ridiculous deadlines.

I can't say if this is true or not but I heard the FFVIII localizers literally had to play the Japanese copy of the game because the head honchos at Square never actually gave them the script. Ergo, the only way to get what they needed was to get it themselves from the source.

Anywho, I just found out the TC made another FF LP. FF3 DS, specifically. As I am playingFF3 for the very first time and it is the DS/Steam version, and I've seen nothing but rampant hatred for the game on here, I have to ask the question.

Cool Ghost, which do you prefer/think is better, FF3DS or FF8? Also why, if you can answer that now? I am speaking purely from a mechanical perspective here because I don't want spoilers for FF3 and we can't go into details about FF8's plot either so a discussion/comparison of the two stories be pointless.

FYI, FFVIII is the FF game I have long thought of as the absolute worst game in the franchise. The idea FFIII can surpass it is...bewildering, especially since I'm quite enjoying myself. Just about to get the Fire Crystal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Final Fantasy 3 DS is very... mediocre.

I finished it once and have honestly have tried to get back into it a number of times, but I generally end up quitting around the Nepto Temple.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

FYI, FFVIII is the FF game I have long thought of as the absolute worst game in the franchise. The idea FFIII can surpass it is...bewildering, especially since I'm quite enjoying myself. Just about to get the Fire Crystal.

VIII is far from the worst game in the franchise. II with its weird-rear end mechanics, III with its terrible attempt at a job system that punishes you for using it, and XIII with its XIIIness...not to mention the terrible sequels like Dirge of Cerberus or the somehow even worse XIII-2...Final Fantasy has quite a few worse games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Afraid we'll have to disagree. You named two games I vastly prefer to FFVIII. FFXIII has a lot of pacing issues but I still prefer its story and characters to VIII's, and XIII-2 is my favorite XIII game thanks to its gameplay and music and overall tone.

FFVIII meanwhile is a broken, inconsistent mess in terms of both gameplay and story. It has maybe one or two characters worth a drat and even then, every character is equally poo poo because they can't even have interesting gameplay mechanics. At least if FFVIII had a class system, I could say "sure, Irvine is irrelevant and worthless in terms of the plot but I love using him in battle." Sadly, everyone plays the same so they have neither interesting characterization nor interesting gameplay to make me tolerate them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 25, 2016

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Between FFIIIDS and FFVIII, I would choose VIII every time. I find III to just be a real mess, especially after the Fire Crystal (and I don't want to spoil anything as far as that goes), but it starts to show up a bit before that, too. III has some very strange design decisions in it that don't really add anything to the game, and there are some changes from the NES version that just out-and-out make things worse. While there are things wrong with VIII, I find it much easier and more enjoyable to actually play than III, in the end.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cool Ghost posted:

Between FFIIIDS and FFVIII, I would choose VIII every time. I find III to just be a real mess, especially after the Fire Crystal (and I don't want to spoil anything as far as that goes), but it starts to show up a bit before that, too. III has some very strange design decisions in it that don't really add anything to the game, and there are some changes from the NES version that just out-and-out make things worse. While there are things wrong with VIII, I find it much easier and more enjoyable to actually play than III, in the end.

Ironically, a lot of the things you mention about 3 DS (here or in your old LP) weren't an issue in the original NES version. Most notably, the story actually got notably worse because the added dialogue and explanations made the whole thing more confusing and spotlighted the flaws.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I gotta be honest with you guys I find most Final Fantasies after IX to be completely intolerable. I don't know if it's the series changing or me changing or both, but they're getting pretty bad. I think XIII might literally be the exact opposite of my idea of the ideal RPG.

Tactics is the only one I would still pick up again and play today, but IX was probably my favorite going through it the first time. I played a fair bit through VIII but after I found out how to break it with junctions I lost interest (I am unable to show restraint in exploiting a broken mechanic once I find it, this also ruined Morrowind for me once I got up to alchemy shenanigans).

Still, all these little touches they added make for a great lp read.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
FF3DS is the absolute worst FF I ever played just for one single incredibly crucial thing: the absolutely baffling decision to not have save points in dungeons. The Dawn of Souls remakes of FF1 and 2 allowed you to save everywhere, but noooo FF3DS is true to its roots or whatever the gently caress. For all the poo poo I give it, I'd 100% FF8 3 times with only Irvine and Rinoa in the party before I'd replay FF3DS even once. No more game overs to RNG as hell bosses after 1-hour dungeons, thank you so very much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

FF3DS is the absolute worst FF I ever played just for one single incredibly crucial thing: the absolutely baffling decision to not have save points in dungeons. The Dawn of Souls remakes of FF1 and 2 allowed you to save everywhere, but noooo FF3DS is true to its roots or whatever the gently caress. For all the poo poo I give it, I'd 100% FF8 3 times with only Irvine and Rinoa in the party before I'd replay FF3DS even once. No more game overs to RNG as hell bosses after 1-hour dungeons, thank you so very much.

Well the version on Steam is a port of an iOS port that introduced Quicksaves. It autosaves before every encounter or new area and you can also save in the middle of a dungeon if you want.

I think it made me like the game a lot more.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus it got rid of that sidequest to get some of the best gear in the game that required using Wifi to communicate with other people playing the game.

On the plus side, I think they managed to learn from that mistake when they designed Bravely Default's online system. Having real friends helped the most, but you could still get nice little perks from the random invites you sent out each day.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

As wildly broken as this game can get mechanics wise, it's at least fun to utilize that broken system, and it's diverse and entertaining. This game definitely poorly explains its battle system in general, but once you get the hang of it then it's pretty diverse, which puts it ahead of XIII at the very least for me.

I always view FF8 through rose tinted glasses because it was my first Final Fantasy game. I think the game demonstrates a lot of strengths that have never been seen again in the franchise (like it's background world building often in places that a lot of players have never seen, the actual use of body language among its characters to such a noticeable degree, and the subtlety in a lot of the game's storytelling is quite good in my opinion until it stops being good and starts actively impeding the story that they're trying to tell). The world in FF8 will always intrigue me a ton because I think it feels more like modern Earth than any other FF. The concept of Garden, SeeD, etc are all interesting to me and I always wish the game had expanded on them more instead of what we got.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

at least FFVIII doesn't take place in a hallway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't mind Fujin's weird way of talking due to how it's presented. It has meaning that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always assumed that Fujin was a foreigner that didn't master the English (or Balambist, whatever) language yet and as such used short simple statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Wasnt the world unified 80 years ago? Would there even be diffrent languages anymore?

• Locked thread