Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ON THIS DAY IN STAR CITIZEN HISTORY

I poo poo you not, in ye olde Chris Roberts' Star Citizen: Made by Chris Roberts, Starring Chris Roberts thread there were 0 posts between March 19th and March 26th. Wild!

link

As a non cat having plebe, enjoy this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6I5YagNDc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Tortolia posted:

Holy poo poo that's blatant

It gets so much worse:

Posted by Sandi, makes it look original... what a scam.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G0RF posted:

Fair point.

I tend to operate under the assumption -- perhaps overly generous -- that Erin is a pragmatist and voice of reason at CIG, and possibly the only one who has real power and juice with Chris. Chris has shown over the past couple of decades that he is willing to take longshot gambles that could destroy a company/game/film, even though he's proven less and less successful at pulling them off. (Strike commander, Freelancer, Ascendent, etc.)
It could well be that CIG are financially better off than we speculate, however my feeling is that our estimates of their operational costs are on the VERY conservative side and CIG (or rather Chris) has shown a tendency to splurge on needlessly over the top poo poo (Four mo-cap studios, for example) that would never happen on a project with any actual financial oversight. It would make sense, then, that they were using capital from backer funds as collateral for undertaking loans, it'd certainly give them a lot more time (and more splurging money for mo-cap) and Erin may not be as concerned with financial if that is the case. Of course, that is assuming he's thinking if they can release this, any hypothetical credit situation would be dealt with by product sales (which I feel they would be greatly overestimating).

G0RF posted:

I may be completely off base though-- dim as the lighting is into some of these realms. If I look back in two months and it seems in the optimist at the moment, I'll be the first to admit that which I'd find hard to believe, namely that it is even worse than I think.
The only thing we can reliably bet on at this stage is that CIG will crash, we're just left speculating on how and when with very few solid details. My thinking is that the middle of this year (probably just after EoFY, but I really would not be shocked if it happened soooner), there'll be talk of some "payroll glitches" affecting some non-essential staff (CS and concept artists, I'd suggest QA staff but lol) growing into rumours about staff being underpaid/not paid and becoming more widespread. As staff morale crashes further through the ground, more and more leaks will happen, causing more Escapist style articles detailing dysfunctional management, drama and ongoing "dev hell" issues.

All the blame will be put on Chris and Sandi, with Chris left holding the bag. Sandi will go on to become a C grade extra in some films, never attaining any level of fame aside from Star Citizen. Ben Lesnick will lead the whales in an attempt to buy off CIG assets to attempt a fan made release (with private servers ofc), lording over them the same way he lorded over Wing Commander fans with wcnews.com. Disco Lando already has a cardboard box set up to hole up in (complete with asbestos lining), having escaped the CIG collapse disguised as a janitor. And lastly, Money will go on to a lucrative hat modelling career, forgetting the mess and embarrassment that was Reverse the 'Verse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ZenMaster posted:

It gets so much worse:

Perfect

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

ON THIS DAY IN STAR CITIZEN HISTORY

I poo poo you not, in ye olde Chris Roberts' Star Citizen: Made by Chris Roberts, Starring Chris Roberts thread there were 0 posts between March 19th and March 26th. Wild!

link

As a non cat having plebe, enjoy this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6I5YagNDc

It's an Easter miracle?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Flip image, bingo. Wasn't hard to find.

e. had to put this on my imgur, I'm deleting it in a day or so because I don't want pictures of this gross harpy among my funny gifs and photoshops.

I got your back, buddy. http://i.imgur.com/HyzM9W0.jpg

I basically use Imgur as my SA Forums image host, so it is a bloody mess.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Chris has got a DL-44 in his holster. Ah uhm, eh, and uhm, eh a DL-44

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Samizdata posted:

I got your back, buddy. http://i.imgur.com/HyzM9W0.jpg

I basically use Imgur as my SA Forums image host, so it is a bloody mess.

Thanks! I'll hose down my poor imgur now.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

eviljack posted:

Ben is just like all the other fat people who have no idea how to lose weight and rationalize that by drinking sugar-free Red Bull and skipping dinner is going to suddenly make them shed 100 lbs.

NEWS FLASH: EXERCISING, COUNTING CALORIES AND NOT STUFFING PROCESSED FOOD INTO YOUR FAT FACE IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT

Hell, I lost 46+ pounds just watching my food intake. My knees/other joint issues/crappy neighborhood/small apartment preclude a lot of exercise. Yeah, between that and my hearing sucking (as I previously mentioned) and some other issues, I am a REAL CATCH, LADIES! YES, HE'S SINGLE!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ZenMaster posted:

It gets so much worse:

Only the dumbest of the dumb would think that's how a digital artist colours something.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Chris has got a DL-44 in his holster. Ah uhm, eh, and uhm, eh a DL-44

that is legit a dl-44, i have that exact firearm and holster for my 501st 181st tie pilot costume. wowza

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Samizdata posted:

Hell, I lost 46+ pounds just watching my food intake. My knees/other joint issues/crappy neighborhood/small apartment preclude a lot of exercise. Yeah, between that and my hearing sucking (as I previously mentioned) and some other issues, I am a REAL CATCH, LADIES! YES, HE'S SINGLE!

a/s/l?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

27/m/behind you

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

The moment you realize the reason why the leg proportions are hosed up on Sandi's standee are because the artist literally ran out of source image to steal

Reminds me of

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

This is the sort of jpeg that should be earning millions

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ideate posted:

I don't mean to specifically pick on 'star traders'

unless they're ripping things off wholesale

this also looks really familiar, I just can't place it

since that's richard garriott, it's possible he just actually has armor like that. real photos are way easier than photoshop

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I bet if you dig a bit deeper you'll find Chris' suit and that armor somewhere as well... I can dig a bit more tomorrow, but Easter and all, will be busy.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Good to see more games use a boob slider....

Is anything original anymore?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

corn in the bible posted:

since that's richard garriott, it's possible he just actually has armor like that. real photos are way easier than photoshop

you could say it's as real as reality television

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The moment you realize the reason why the leg proportions are hosed up on Sandi's standee are because the artist literally ran out of source image to steal

:laffo:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah, yeah, i'm just saying there's no reason they couldn't just ask richard to put on one of his many fake suits of armor that he owns because he's a loving crazy person and save the trouble

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

moveable shape posted:

Gorf what's your take on CIG selling to outside investors? Seems the general vibe is their product and customer base is to vile to attract buyers.
Well, the chinwag around here was they passed on nine figure buyout offers from Microsoft and EA a ways back. It sounds unbelievable, yet Sandi herself said (right after the $2 billion buyout of Oculus by Facebook), she asked Chris if he'd sell Star Citizen for the same amount. He said "Nope". I believe her.

quote:

The cynic in me thinks that there absolutely will be a buyout when cig is backed into a corner. Even if the brand is a toxic wasteland, it's known and I'm not sure about the legal case to be made for their liabilities to backers

That would probably be funnier than a flat out institutional collapse, so bring it on
The question worth asking is "What does CIG have worth acquiring?"

So far as I can tell, they have:

1) The Frankencode Monster that is the PTU, which only occasionally produces compelling gameplay moments and represents 3% of the promised deliverable. (Note: delivering even 25% with a Frankenhacked CryEngine backend may be technically impossible.)

2) A heterodox backer base of several hundred thousand people -- which includes pockets of nightmare toxicity (real nazis and supremacists), hundreds of megawhales who've already been gutted and stand holding IOUs for entire armadas as yet unbuilt, at least one hundred thousand folks who've written off backing crowdfunding games as a result of this mess, and probably a decent population of folks who might just remain loyal if CIG hits some amazing deliverables soon (which they haven't ever done.)

3) A widely known gaming brand increasingly associated with humilating livestreams, perpetually missed deadlines, wince-inducing PR gaffes, difficulties staffing, and endless do-overs on previously finished assets due to a micromanaging "visionary" leader for whom the perfect is the enemy of the good.

4) The single biggest pile of Engineering Debts in the history of gaming (which the acquirer will either have to deliver upon or write off. The former may be impossible; the latter might be suicidal.)

5) A wide variety of potential legal liabilities including potential class action lawsuits from heavily invested backers if CIG does not deliver upon the world's tallest pile of gaming promises...

6) The inevitable arrival over the next months and year of superior competitive Space Game experiences -- priced between $20 -$60 -- many of which will deliver true perception immersion through VR, an experience Chris Roberts has rendered practically impossible due to bad design choices in his own game.

7) The very real potential that the lesser known property in this buyout, the single player "Squadron 42", ends up eclipsing Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" and Travolta's "Battlefield Earth" as the most unintentionally awful cinematic experience ever subjected on a viewer. That it will be 10+ hours, fully interactive and feature an all-star cast and the director's wife doing their level damndest to redeem a script so derivative of other works (including the director's own derivative work) that critical acclaim is a virtual impossibility and commercial success one hell of a longshot. (Note: I may be being unfair here, as I'm picturing 10+ hours worth of Parp like Admiral Bishop's unironic twist on a Starship Troopers moment. Let's at least allow for the possibility that it's better than that. Mark Hamill will likely guarantee that.)

8) The very real potential that all of the above and more is exposed in exquisite detail by a Gaming Press that would seize on the buyout as their official excuse to get out their sabers and starting gutting this monster.

Okay, so I'm speculating with some of the above. I could be being too hard on their prospects. There might be a player out there that sees the opportunity -- sees this whole thing as the ultimate fixer-upper. But I do know that few if any with the resources to make something of this are in the charity business. For all of the reasons above and more, I think CIG would take one hell of a cramdown on the term sheet. Someone looking to get into the Space Sim business could acquire something like Angels Fall First or Infinity:Battlescape for a fraction and have a much easier time building into the dream Star Citizen already sold. They could scoop them up for a fraction-- throw millions at dev work and millions at marketing and offering special promotional deals for disheartened Star Citizen backers and it would probably be a death blow.

The sad thing about all of this -- a fact we all know too well -- is that it never had to be this way. But now, it's hard to imagine any other way it could be.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 26, 2016

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

yeah, yeah, i'm just saying there's no reason they couldn't just ask richard to put on one of his many fake suits of armor that he owns because he's a loving crazy person and save the trouble

im just giving you hell

one would hope that richard garriott owns better props and real, forged armor than that, tbh

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Could someone from Stealth sue CIG over the stolen art or no? I know I'm dreaming here but I have hope. Especially since they tried to make it look like someone drew the loving direct ripoff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

nobody is going to buy the star citizen property because at this point there's no way for it to make back the money. they can either hope for more idiots to buy in, which isn't going to cover whatever they paid for it, or they can finish the game and realize that everyone who wants it already is owed a bunch of poo poo and they can't make anything off of them

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

G0RF posted:

Well, the chinwag around here was they passed on nine figure buyout offers from Microsoft and EA a ways back. It sounds unbelievable, yet Sandi herself said (right after the $2 billion buyout of Oculus by Facebook), she asked Chris if he'd sell Star Citizen for the same amount. He said "Nope". I believe her.

The question worth asking is "What does CIG have worth acquiring?"

So far as I can tell, they have:

1) The Frankencode Monster that is the PTU, which only occasionally produces compelling gameplay moments and represents 3% of the promised deliverable. (Note: delivering even 25% with a Frankenhacked CryEngine backend may be technically impossible.)

2) A heterodox backer base of several hundred thousand people -- which includes pockets of nightmare toxicity (real nazis and supremacists), hundreds of megawhales who've already been gutted and stand holding IOUs for entire armadas as yet unbuilt, at least one hundred thousand folks who've written off backing crowdfunding games as a result of this mess, and probably a decent population of folks who might just remain loyal if CIG hits some amazing deliverables soon (which they haven't ever done.)

3) A widely known gaming brand increasingly associated with humilating livestreams, perpetually missed deadlines, wince-inducing PR gaffes, difficulties staffing, and endless do-overs on previously finished assets due to a micromanaging "visionary" leader for whom the perfect is the enemy of the good.

4) The single biggest pile of Engineering Debts in the history of gaming (which the acquired will either have to deliver upon or write off. The former may be impossible; the latter might be suicidal.)

5) A wide variety of potential legal liabilities including potential class action lawsuits from heavily invested backers if CIG does not deliver upon the world's tallest pile of gaming promises...

6) The inevitable arrival over the next months and year of superior competitive Space Game experiences -- priced between $20 -$60 -- many of which will deliver true perception immersion through VR, an experience Chris Roberts has rendered practically impossible due to bad design choices in his own game.

7) The very real potential that the lesser known property in this buyout, the single player "Squadron 42", ends up eclipsing Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" and Travolta's "Battlefield Earth" as the most unintentionally awful cinematic experience ever subjected on a viewer. That it will be 10+ hours, fully interactive and feature an all-star cast and the director's wife doing their level damndest to redeem a script so derivative of other works (including the director's own derivative work) that critical acclaim is a virtual impossibility and commercial success one hell of a longshot.)

8) The very real potential that all of the above and more is exposed in exquisite detail by a Gaming Press that would seize on the buyout as their official excuse to get out their sabers and starting gutting this monster.

Okay, so I'm speculating with some of the above. I could be being too hard on their prospects. There might be a player out there that sees the opportunity -- sees this whole thing as the ultimate fixer-upper. But I do know that few if any with the resources to make something of this are in the charity business. For all of the reasons above and more, I think CIG would take one hell of a cramdown on the term sheet. Someone looking to get into the Space Sim business could acquire something like Angels Fall First or Infinity:Battlescape for a fraction and have a much easier time building into the dream Star Citizen already sold. They could scoop them up for a fraction-- throw millions at dev work and millions at marketing and offering special promotional deals for disheartened Star Citizen backers and it would probably be a death blow.

The sad thing about all of this -- a fact we all know too well -- is that it never had to be this way. But now, it's hard to imagine any other way it could be.

This is very good.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

nobody is going to buy the star citizen property because at this point there's no way for it to make back the money. they can either hope for more idiots to buy in, which isn't going to cover whatever they paid for it, or they can finish the game and realize that everyone who wants it already is owed a bunch of poo poo and they can't make anything off of them

With microsofts track record lately, you never know. Maybe history will repeat itself. That would be the cherry on a poo poo sundae from HELL.

paaarp.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

note that this isn't exclusive to chris -- i don't think any investor would buy out any kickstarter project, because it sidesteps the only benefit to the developer of the kickstarter system.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

With microsofts track record lately, you never know. Maybe history will repeat itself. That would be the cherry on a poo poo sundae from HELL.

paaarp.

people laugh at the minecraft buyout and theyre right but at least minecraft exists

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It would be too hilarious if Microsoft somehow bought CIG.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Also a fun note, (her) right stomach sketch line is hosed up because the artist literally had to draw out the belt clip carabiner or whatever on both sides. Like this artist was like "no, that would be TOO much copying for me" and then erased em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_Rduet230
Star Citizen: Our concept art goes 'ding ding ding di di ding ding… DING… ding ding ding di di ding ding.'

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 26, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Goobs posted:

Could someone from Stealth sue CIG over the stolen art or no? I know I'm dreaming here but I have hope. Especially since they tried to make it look like someone drew the loving direct ripoff.

Isn't the art for the "star traders" board game? In that case it's not CIG's fault.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

They Terraformed space you silly goon.

trucutru posted:

The artificial gravity keeps the air inside

Awwwwwww, dang! </CaptainAmazing>

Here I was thinking SCIENCE! instead of DREEEEEEEAAAAAAAMMMMMMSSSSSSSS!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

trucutru posted:

Isn't the art for the "star traders" board game? In that case it's not CIG's fault.

I thought cig was making it but it seems they are just shills for the board game, my bad.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

I'm not really going to make myself an IMDB page. It's just funny that I could and I could legitimize it due to what I was in already having a page.

Cut it with the foreplay and get to the sexyfuntimes. What is this project?

(Nothing more than that to avoid dhocksing.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I was gonna say that. That's so loving hilarious. They're so proud of this standout that was fully traced from something else, and then had hosed up legs put on because they had no actual idea how to draw.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Finally

Codependent Poster posted:

I was gonna say that. That's so loving hilarious. They're so proud of this standout that was fully traced from something else, and then had hosed up legs put on because they had no actual idea how to draw.

I wonder if this was the same artist who did the Citizencon poster that this thread pointed out had a poo poo ton of "borrowed" assets (and a caterpillar ship on it's side for no reason)

Also, traffic control is doing a poo poo job here.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Thanks! I'll hose down my poor imgur now.

And here we witness once again a non-toxic (except for backers) community.

• Locked thread