Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The translations for the post World Tree chapters were really bad for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
They still are, aren't they? I remember reading textual translations (which I unfortunately didn't save...) that were significantly better than the scanlations'.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Probably but I remember the stuff explaining the Dark Continent being egregiously bad to the point I could barely understand what was happening.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mangastream's translation of the Dark Continent chapters is nigh unreadable at points, typically whenever there's a lot of exposition regarding the Dark Continent.

VIZ's official translation is far more polished and parsable.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 21, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh neat I didn't realise official translations had progressed so far

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

EmmyOk posted:

Oh neat I didn't realise official translations had progressed so far

They were translated at the same time as the actual chapters during that brief period Hunter x Hunter was back in Viz's shonen jump subscription.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm just wrapping up greed island in the show. How far does the anime go before it veers from manga content?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm just wrapping up greed island in the show. How far does the anime go before it veers from manga content?

If you're watching the 2011 version, it never does. It goes up to 9 chapters before where the manga currently is at.
Actually, the 99 version doesn't either because Greed Island is where it ends.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kingtheninja posted:

It never will

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh, I thought the show did an original ending because of the hiatus. Is the show over? Or will more episodes air once the manga gets ahead again?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It ended at a very natural point. Personally wouldn't expect more unless this arc finishes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Wow just watched the new OP. I can't even begin to guess how all these crazy new people fit into the story. Although I do like the guy with the giant pipe.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh, I thought the show did an original ending because of the hiatus. Is the show over? Or will more episodes air once the manga gets ahead again?

No word on a S2 of HxH but it was a TBC ending and it didn't feel awkward at all.

The anime did streamline certain events but is 100% faithful to the manga which is nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Wow just watched the new OP. I can't even begin to guess how all these crazy new people fit into the story. Although I do like the guy with the giant pipe.

Tell us your impressions as you go along.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kingtheninja posted:

He's very good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Pipe guy is best guy. Also seconding that you post your thoughts as you go along, love hearing newcomer takes on any series as they watch it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Might be a couple days before I get to watch more, but I finished the "fireside chat with Kite" episode last night. This is a great series.

By this point I'm used to the show completely uprooting the characters into entirely new and different settings for a new story arc. It bothered me a bit earlier on, but I kind of like the idea now. It makes the world of this series more unpredictable (and this new arc seems to be a great example of that). I absolutely love Kite's Nen weapon deal thing. I have a hard time keeping all the rules about Nen clear, but it seems like he has some type of condition where he gets access to powerful weapons but he doesn't get to choose which ones? And they come from a back talking clown statue, love it.

Very interested to see what crazy stuff happens in this arc, especially since the last thing I was expecting was a freaky huge ant monster to start talking.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's a bit hard to remember after the sudden veering into crime thriller followed up by "virtual reality" game, but in the very beginning of the series there were talking fox monster things that Gon befriended. Apparently talking animal monsters are just a thing in this world.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yeah, they're referred to as Magical Beasts.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So I've been watching the 2011 anime again, because Hunter x Hunter is the best, and I'm at the Heaven's Tower. This is around when the anime sticks pretty much 100% to the manga right? (Barring accounting for no Kite earlier). It was fairly close before but had a couple of little inconsistencies that bugged me, like needing all three of Gon, Leorio and Kurapika to open the Testing Gate.

I'm on the Kastro fight and, man, Hisoka is the loving coolest you guys.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I would be okay if Hisoka wanted to break me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The changing of the trial door really annoyed me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The changing of the trial door really annoyed me.

What was this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

What was this?

In the manga they each open the door separately with Leorio opening the most doors to enter Killua's estate. In the anime all three had to push together to open the doors.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

In the manga they each open the door separately with Leorio opening the most doors to enter Killua's estate. In the anime all three had to push together to open the doors.

That is a really lame and pointless change, jeez. I'm glad I asked about it because I didn't look at the manga until I'd finished the anime, so now I know of another cool thing Leorio did.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They generally made Leorio much more of a comic relief, no idea why. I mean, there aren't that many changes, because he is not that much in the series, but it still annoys me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
They also cut some stuff early on (like everyone trying to figure out what sushi was), and didn't introduce Kite until the Chimera Ants arc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They also cut Hisoka saying he'd really like it if Machi would chase him down if he killed Chrollo. It's just after volleyball when they are looking for the remover. Hisoka looks genuinely at peace for the only time in the series when he says it. Or at least they didn't draw the facial expression correctly which surprised me because they got the reaction to Chrollo not fighting correct.

At the bottom of this page

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 26, 2016

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The changing of the Testing Gate really annoyed me. Way more than it should have, really.

There's a few times when Hisoka is trying to flirt with Machi in the Heaven's Tower. I like little moments like that and him just haning out with Illumi because it makes him seem like more of a real person and not just a weirdo murderclown.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Had actually already started a reread before the end to the hiatus was announced. I always remembered this manga extremely fondly, but I seemed to have forgotten just how good it is. So looking forward to the new chapters, especially looking forward to seeing Biscuit's new outfit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the big shame in HxH never getting proper releases anymore is we won't see anymore hisoka fights but in particular the chrollo fight. he should just release a volume dedicated to that and be done with it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I love everything about the Dark Continent arc so far so I'm glad we're getting more of it, even if it just means another volume before Togashi goes into hibernation again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he should just direct the series so everyone wins

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To be honest I can't imagine us getting anything better than Netero and The King.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gon's confrontation with Pitou was already better than that, and I don't mean the part where Gon goes crazy and grows up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It absolutely was not. The timeframe from the King's perspective, the Buddhist art, the musical cues, and the animation were all great. Particularly the king getting swept along the ground because he couldn't resist the strike as well as the moment between the Little Rose and Zero.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It absolutely was not. The timeframe from the King's perspective, the Buddhist art, the musical cues, and the animation were all great. Particularly the king getting swept along the ground because he couldn't resist the strike as well as the moment between the Little Rose and Zero.

It's kind of crazy how good chimera ant is that all the stuff you just mentioned merely gets that episode in the top 5 maybe.
Like, it could have been an amazing finale for a different shonen series, but it's stuck in HxH so it doesn't even come close to best episode status.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd agree to that as the Yorkshin arc is the best one and has all the best episodes, I meant purely as a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Oh, i don't really care about the fights. I agree it's probably Hisoka vs Chrollo then, yeah. :v: