Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Check out what's available from Maxxis in your wheel size if you're look for a hard compound slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone doing the WRL race at Brainerd on May 21-22? I'm probably going to be going to a track day on the 20th and was thinking of spending the night to attend (or volunteer for?) the race on the 21st.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ColdPie posted:

Anyone doing the WRL race at Brainerd on May 21-22? I'm probably going to be going to a track day on the 20th and was thinking of spending the night to attend (or volunteer for?) the race on the 21st.

We'll be there with the E30 vert/pickup, that's our first race of the season. You're more than welcome to hang out with us and we can always use another pit bitch.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I put a boat load of new parts on the BMW last week and took it to the track this past weekend. This is my first session in the advanced run group. My fast lap starts around 13:30. I run into traffic immediately after ending my fast lap, so lucky timing there. Nothing really notable in this session, so the video is kinda boring.

This is at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson, TX. It was a chilly and windy morning, hence the jacket. It was a good weekend though. I was afraid I would get run over when I finally made it to the advanced group, but it was not a problem at all.

https://youtu.be/Y3fR-3ezLxs

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm going to get to take my car to leguna seca next month. Seems like fun.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Is anybody going to be at Road America for the Chumpcar race next month? We did a track day last weekend to shake the car down and test out the new suspension. Still needs a few things but we're looking forward to a good race free of mechanical problems.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

User Error posted:

Is anybody going to be at Road America for the Chumpcar race next month? We did a track day last weekend to shake the car down and test out the new suspension. Still needs a few things but we're looking forward to a good race free of mechanical problems.

I'd love to go back but our car is no longer chump-legal. Doing Mid-Ohio with WRL in a couple of weeks instead (and trying out a Z51 with the PDR on Friday's track day; check Ars Technica next month for a feature about it and also AutosportLabs' RaceCapture.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

I'm going to get to take my car to leguna seca next month. Seems like fun.

Who with? Pretty fun track, definitely something everyone should do if they get the opportunity. I found it reeeealy tough to pass in HPDE though with a lower HP car (s2000), lot of time stuck behind drag racers : /

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Racecapture seems pretty neat. We have had one in our car for a while but we've never had an Android tablet set up on the dash until now. We also have the sequential shift lights. I'm hoping the tablet isn't too much of a distraction.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

the poi posted:

Who with? Pretty fun track, definitely something everyone should do if they get the opportunity. I found it reeeealy tough to pass in HPDE though with a lower HP car (s2000), lot of time stuck behind drag racers : /
http://www.ncracing.org/index.php

My boss and I have been talking about it for a while, and he's gonna go with a couple other people from the office and friends.

Its a new Mustang GT, so power isn't an issue. I keep thinking I want to grab some PSS tires to replace the crappy (not-PP) stocks, but don't really want to spend the money.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I keep thinking I want to grab some PSS tires to replace the crappy (not-PP) stocks, but don't really want to spend the money.

After a few track days you'll get your wish.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just wait for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yrxrcxTUc

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What the gently caress?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Uhhhhh what? Did someone's brakes decide they wanted to stop being brakes?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, that's why you buy race pads and bleed the brakes with good fluid before going to a track day with your 600hp car.

There's a video of a mustang gt500 doing something similar, and you could actually see it coming.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

User Error posted:

dl

Should be there. Low Farm Racing. #378.
Having trouble getting a gasket for our Beams Red top

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jamal posted:

Yeah, that's why you buy race pads and bleed the brakes with good fluid before going to a track day with your 600hp car.

There's a video of a mustang gt500 doing something similar, and you could actually see it coming.

The squeal when he hits the brakes sounds a lot like the metal brake wear tang hitting the rotors.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

8ender posted:

The squeal when he hits the brakes sounds a lot like the metal brake wear tang hitting the rotors.

Some track pads just sound like that. My XP8s kind of sound like that when hot.
Also, no pads would still probably stop faster than that as the caliper would still provide some fiction (and the rear pads would probably be fine). i think someone boiled their fluid.
edit: Except it is making that noise when it fails to stop too. Maybe you're right.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yeah it's hard to tell what went wrong there... Lots of track pads make a squeal like that, which makes me lean towards boiled fluid. But boiled fluid is noticeable well before it causes problems, take a cooldown lap or end your session and you won't wind up with no brakes into a corner.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of pads currently i've got R4-S on because my xp8s didnt like being used on the street at all and pretty much lost most of their cold bite. I've got a track day coming up at bedford autodrome and i'm wondering if I should just put the xp8 back on because the porterfields might not cope? Car weighs about 1200kg and is on AD08Rs so nothing too extreme.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Speaking of pads currently i've got R4-S on because my xp8s didnt like being used on the street at all and pretty much lost most of their cold bite. I've got a track day coming up at bedford autodrome and i'm wondering if I should just put the xp8 back on because the porterfields might not cope? Car weighs about 1200kg and is on AD08Rs so nothing too extreme.

In my opinion, yes. I've got separate pads (XP10) and rotors for street and track use. After a few track days, it takes less than an hour to swap all four corners. The last thing you want failing on you on the track is your brakes.

Speaking of which, I need steel brake lines for the Z4. I think I can DIY them, especially since the car isn't rusty. StopTech seems to manufacture loads of them, and Turner has them sized for a Z4. Any thoughts on manufacturers or installation?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just make sure they are DOT approved construction

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

jamal posted:

Jalopnik says it was a Camaro driven by Tristan Herbert Audi USA Manager of Motorsport. :P Other sources say it was a 12h of Sebring support race.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/crap-your-pants-as-this-corvette-with-no-brakes-narrowl-1767356190

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah turns out it was a worn through brake line, I think aftermarket?

So... make sure nothing is rubbing and your new parts fit and are routed correctly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My friend recently did a track day and in the first 7 minutes burst a braided brake line and lost all brakes going into turn 1.

Always buy approved brake lines.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We got lucky and caught a brake line that had been rubbing on the inside of the wheel a half hour before a 9 hour race start. Tossed in a spare and ordered a new set of spares on the spot to replace all the others. It's always a good idea to somehow put the car at ride height and turn the wheels lock to lock and make sure nothing is going to rub. We ended up tossing a zip-tie on both front lines since they're a little long to eliminate any chance of them rubbing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
NitroSpazzz are you guys doing Mid-Ohio next weekend?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drgitlin posted:

NitroSpazzz are you guys doing Mid-Ohio next weekend?
I wish we were but no, too much work poo poo going on for Dad and I so we decided to skip it. I'd really like to run the track at some point. Our first race is BIR May 21-22

Anyone doing the Atlanta Motorsport Park, Gingerman or Corvette Museum races? Not sure if we're running the High Plains race since it's a 24 hour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I know it's subjective but any recommendations for a cheapish full face SA2015 helmet? i got 10 years of infrequent use out of my $250 pyrotect but its time to retire it.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I see lots of entry-level Bell and G-Force helmets at my DEs. I have the Bell. It's fine - I think at the $250 price point, they're basically all the same.

I also know that when it comes time to buy the next helmet, I'm adding two new requirements that will force me out of the $250 price point:
1. Removable, washable interior - The current helmet lives in the garage because Mrs. Jackson won't let it in the house, even after a heavy Febreezing.
2. Integrated sound - I have the chatterbox hardwire kit installed in the current one and it's more fiddly than it should be. I'm going with real integerated earmuff speakers next time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Speaking of helmets... I'm going to need one for autoX and track use within a couple weeks. Where do people go to even get a helmet? Moto shops would have M rated ones, but would they have AS2015 helmets?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of helmets... I'm going to need one for autoX and track use within a couple weeks. Where do people go to even get a helmet? Moto shops would have M rated ones, but would they have AS2015 helmets?

No. The closest place I know to buy a motorsports helmet is at sears point, whcih has a shop that is open even when there are no events. There may be something closer, but I don't know of it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Last time I checked (month or two ago?) I could only find a few SA2015 helmets online. I like my old HJC AR10 (I think it is?) quite a bit for the fit and will likely buy their new version of it. I tried a couple cheap helmets and none of them fit my massive dome even though I picked the correct size based on their dimensions. Too much pressure on my forehead and they gave me headaches.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Last time I checked (month or two ago?) I could only find a few SA2015 helmets online. I like my old HJC AR10 (I think it is?) quite a bit for the fit and will likely buy their new version of it. I tried a couple cheap helmets and none of them fit my massive dome even though I picked the correct size based on their dimensions. Too much pressure on my forehead and they gave me headaches.

Hjc won't have SA2015 helmets available till 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In your guys experience how often do you replace calipers? I still use OEM ones ('91 MR2 NA and 240SX). I just wonder if I'm better off upgrading, I do about 4-5 Time Attack events per year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

In your guys experience how often do you replace calipers? I still use OEM ones ('91 MR2 NA and 240SX). I just wonder if I'm better off upgrading, I do about 4-5 Time Attack events per year.

We rebuild them after every season. That's roughly 80 hours of racing plus another 10-20 hours of practice lapping.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I've been rebuilding mine whenever I burn through a set of pads.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So bi-yearly ok? I service them every time I swap pads.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

Hjc won't have SA2015 helmets available till 2017

Thought you were being facetious, but it looks to be true. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

Thought you were being facetious, but it looks to be true. :(

I thought they would be a good option for a budget helmet with removable liners but yeah, no way i'm spending 2/3rds the price of a 2015 helmet for a "discounted" 2010 helmet.

I guess bell or simpson are the way to go for me.

Last day of the 50 dollar rebate at tire rack for dunlop star specs, I think i'm going to pull the trigger. My Kumho XS are 6 years old .