Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Fans posted:

That's how they work yeah.

So I think this is your set up but super simplified.

As you can see that's three signals, all red which means the section of track past them is not clear and the trains can't move. This is because the signals are dividing the track up into two sections. The small section with the interchange and the rest of the track. Trains can only occupy one section at a time and both are occupied. If we add in a fourth signal down in the bottom right behind the train though.

There now the intersection lights are green meaning there's a free section of track to move into which means...

And now our train will wait in the intersection until the other train occupies the slot it was out and the cycle continues.

To avoid trains getting stuck like that just add more signals to a large section of track to create more "Sections" that a train can occupy and keep things moving.

Yep, that's my problem. I'm playing with RSO so I have a million miles of train tracks. Is there any way to fix the deadlock besides adding in a rail signal every other screen or so? I think I'm going to need chain rail signals to handle T-junctions, right?

pro-tip: always unload trains L/R. If the train is aligned Top to Bottom you can't fit as many inserters and so can't support as many smelters per unloading station. I really wish I'd set my unloading station up R/L now but I didn't realize how big a difference it makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LLSix posted:

Yep, that's my problem. I'm playing with RSO so I have a million miles of train tracks. Is there any way to fix the deadlock besides adding in a rail signal every other screen or so? I think I'm going to need chain rail signals to handle T-junctions, right?

pro-tip: always unload trains L/R. If the train is aligned Top to Bottom you can't fit as many inserters and so can't support as many smelters per unloading station. I really wish I'd set my unloading station up R/L now but I didn't realize how big a difference it makes.
You've got a personal rail-layer engine for yourself on a siding, right? Catch a ride and lay down signals at 140 kph. OK, maybe not full speed, but it lets you go faster than on foot and keeps things pixel perfect unlike a buggy. In the future include signals in your blueprint.

Chain signals are best practice before a junction to keep stuff from parking inside the junction, yeah.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LLSix posted:

Chain signals are useful for any crossing as they say "Don't enter this section unless you're able to immediately exit it" which stops trains parking themselves in the crossing itself and locking everybody up. Their blog explains it best.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81

But in short, use Chain signals before a section of the track you don't want trains to hang about in and use regular signals for everything else.

And yeah adding in a rail signal every other screen or so is a good way to keep everything flowing on straight sections without backing trains up. Just hop in a train and throw them down as it rides along.

Fans fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 27, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LLSix posted:

Any time you have a "block" of track that you want to have more than one train on at the same time, you need to put a signal in the middle to break it up. Good to practice is to space signals just a bit further than a train-length apart, so you can get maximum throughput on that line. You can space them a bit further apart on spur lines that don't need that much traffic (for example, if a spur only serves one station, and the loading time at that station is a bigger bottleneck on throughput than the time it takes to drive along the spur).

You want to use chain signals for a T-junction, yes. Otherwise you'll have trains park there blocking the main line just because their branch is congested. While you're at it, you should cram the middle of the junction full of chain signals too, so that trains that don't actually cross each other's paths don't interfere with each other at all. That bit's not strictly necessary, and you can build the junction slightly smaller when you don't need to fit the extra signals, but it's good to do if you have the space.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are any other mods "required" (in the sense that gameplay will be rubbish without them) if I want to play a game with RSO?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ciaphas posted:

Are any other mods "required" (in the sense that gameplay will be rubbish without them) if I want to play a game with RSO?

FARL is "required" if you want to avoid gouging your own eyes out manually laying all that track. Fat Controller is seriously nice for managing any sort of large rail network.

I think that's about it - I initially thought that rail tankers would be useful too, but honestly barrelling up crude at the outpost and unbarrelling it at your base is fine and adds a neat logistical twist.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
just started a new game and it placed me in a 4x4 square in water i cant get out of

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

just started a new game and it placed me in a 4x4 square in water i cant get out of

Perfect spawn, buddy. Don't lose hope. Look at all that real estate, you'll have the world's most efficient bonzai factory in no time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jamsque posted:

I've only been messing around with this game for a couple of days, the pictures of bases in this thread are really intimidating.

Should I be aiming for that kind of bus-centric setup from the very beginning? On my best run so far I had red and green science production going as fast as eight labs could consume it, and I started to think about replacing all of my burner mines with electronic ones and I couldn't face it. My setup of one long belt of coal going through iron and copper fields (drills feeding straight in to furnaces) and terminating at my generators didn't seem upgrade-able. I can see how having smelting separated from mining would help with that upgrade path but I can't figure out how efficiently feed smelters with coal AND ore while still having space to take out the plates.

Last page, but wanted to give my perspective.
I have about 8 or 9 saves in various stages, with only a couple of them past blue science (i.e. in mid-late game). In only one of them do I have that megabus. The others are various spaghetti messes, small buses, and generally whatever design seemed cool at the time.

This is not a game that punishes restarting. Get a feel for it and how you like to organize things. Figure out what works for you. I really like the central bus design -- it appeals to my sense of order and it's fun to pull things off of it to make factories on the side. It is not the only way to do things. That said, when I started the save that has that bus, I saw there was a large amount of horizontal space that would be ideal for setting it up and did design the rest of my factory around it. But you always have the option of tearing things down and restarting if you really want to!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
People having trouble with burner inserters should check if they're unloading from a fast belt or a yellow belt. If it's a red belt the coal can go past so fast they have time to trigger the movement (consuming their fuel) but not enough time to pick it up. So you just see them waggling round ineffectually until they run out of fuel. This won't happen to the one inserter at the end of the line, but it can explain outages in other places

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Aurium posted:

I really like this idea, but multiple times I've found my burner inserters have run out of power with a piece of coal in their hands. I just can't trust them.

They've never failed me yet. :shrug:

Jabor posted:

FARL is "required" if you want to avoid gouging your own eyes out manually laying all that track. Fat Controller is seriously nice for managing any sort of large rail network.

I think that's about it - I initially thought that rail tankers would be useful too, but honestly barrelling up crude at the outpost and unbarrelling it at your base is fine and adds a neat logistical twist.

Rail tankers for sure, gently caress barrels, seriously, no way.

And for people at the oil stage, I found an actual useful post on the game forums: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8832. It goes into ratios etc reasonably well.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

awesmoe posted:

People having trouble with burner inserters should check if they're unloading from a fast belt or a yellow belt. If it's a red belt the coal can go past so fast they have time to trigger the movement (consuming their fuel) but not enough time to pick it up. So you just see them waggling round ineffectually until they run out of fuel. This won't happen to the one inserter at the end of the line, but it can explain outages in other places

It can also happen if your coal belt is not saturated enough. I've had it happen to me once. It's fairly easily to resolve it for good by getting more coal on the line and manually filling the burners -- just bootstrap them a second, basically.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The magic of buses took me far enough to get loving MURDERED by huge swarms of aliens, my steel suit kept me alive for a long time but I ran out of bullets pretty quickly. Getting an earlier start on mining stone and manufacturing walls is my plan for next time. I also learned that there is no such thing as over-doing your iron production. This game is pretty good.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jamsque posted:

The magic of buses took me far enough to get loving MURDERED by huge swarms of aliens, my steel suit kept me alive for a long time but I ran out of bullets pretty quickly. Getting an earlier start on mining stone and manufacturing walls is my plan for next time. I also learned that there is no such thing as over-doing your iron production. This game is pretty good.

Heh, yeah, they came for the guided tour of your fantastic filth fabricator. With biter heavy map setups I always do military first and get the place studded with turrets ASAP. Start ammo production soon too , as you no doubt noticed, it takes a fair while to make a decent amount.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also, uh, I thought I put it to high, but there is literally only one oil slick near me. am I boned?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If it has enough capacity, no. Even if isn't incredibly rich (>200%) it should still be enough to let you get out and explore to find a better oil well. You'll have to set up an outpost if you aren't in peaceful mode though...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i put down some radars and even still there's only three pink slicks on the map

how do i cheat and get more oil, because otherwise i can only get 1 plastic every minute or something

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

how do i cheat and get more oil, because otherwise i can only get 1 plastic every minute or something

Point at an oil patch with your mouse and enter

/c game.local_player.selected.amount=-1

I don't know if it still works, but it used to set the resource at 6 billion/sec or something fun. If not, replace -1 with 50000 or whatever you feel is best.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Suspicious Dish posted:

Get a car, drive a little further out.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
How far up the military tree to I need to get before mounting a sortie against a bug base is a good idea?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Point at an oil patch with your mouse and enter

/c game.local_player.selected.amount=-1

I don't know if it still works, but it used to set the resource at 6 billion/sec or something fun. If not, replace -1 with 50000 or whatever you feel is best.

thanks, i cheated

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jamsque posted:

How far up the military tree to I need to get before mounting a sortie against a bug base is a good idea?

Once you have turrets you can take out most bug bases, move up on a base, drop a few turrets(do not forget bullets), and then drop a few more a little closer, and just play leapfrog with turrets until the nests are gone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

lohli posted:

Once you have turrets you can take out most bug bases, move up on a base, drop a few turrets(do not forget bullets), and then drop a few more a little closer, and just play leapfrog with turrets until the nests are gone.

Better is to set up however many turrets just on the edge of aggro range, and then aggro the biter swarm, fight them off with piercing rounds and the turrets. the minute they're dead, charge in and wipe out one or two nests. rinse and repeat. each wave should be smaller cause the nests you've killed lower their spawn rate.

if the base has worms, don't try to take it out until you've researched poison capsules. throw a few poison capsules at the worms and wait for them to choke to death.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Its funny how different people play the game when they first start out. I knew the premise of Factorio but nothing of the bits and pieces and how they worked when I launched it. My first game I played a solid 10 hours and out of curiosity looked up a lets play. This guy does more in the first hour than I do in my first 5 then more in the 2nd hour than I did in my next 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk I guess it all makes sense looking back but drat how inefficient I was. I played the first tutorial and figured it wasn't so bad so I jumped right into free play. Do the next 3 campaign parts go over linking all the little factories together and the concept of a "main bus" and more advanced tips like that?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Loopoo posted:

if the base has worms, don't try to take it out until you've researched poison capsules. throw a few poison capsules at the worms and wait for them to choke to death.

You can take out worms with turrets, they're just going to take a little bit of damage

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Loopoo posted:

Small worms will go down easy as soon as you get piercing ammo, or probably just with turret creeping them. Medium worms will go down with piercing ammo + turret creep, though you'll need to be on the ball with repairs.

Big worms are a roadblock until either poison capsules or tanks, though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just downloaded the RSO mod along with along with some other mods that'll make life easier (like longer reach, EvoGUI, Autofill). Really looking forward to this! I got spawned in a forest.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
can someone make a mod pack with RSO ?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Baloogan posted:

can someone make a mod pack with RSO ?

http://www.arumba.tv/mods/

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
wow thx

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I think trains are even harder than oil to get working right. Its really satisfying to watch them zip around though. Thank you everyone who helped me get them sorted out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

I think trains are even harder than oil to get working right. Its really satisfying to watch them zip around though. Thank you everyone who helped me get them sorted out.

Once you understand the basic railway concepts, it's real easy. Only difficult thing after that is figuring out how to make the rail network as efficient as possible in terms of train stations and the routes you lay the tracks.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Small worms will go down easy as soon as you get piercing ammo, or probably just with turret creeping them. Medium worms will go down with piercing ammo + turret creep, though you'll need to be on the ball with repairs.

Big worms are a roadblock until either poison capsules or tanks, though.

Not quite. You can kill small worms with normal ammo in turrets and you can kill big worms with AP. 5 turrets, get behind them and repair the one the worm is shooting at. It'll blow through a fair load of ammo but it *will* die. The damage bonus from the turret (100% as standard) plus any researched damage upgrades mean it knocks off a few hp each shot. You don't want to be engaging anything else at the same time but you can get rid of them with gun turrets.

As a range tip, when the worm comes up out of it's hole you have 2 to 3 tiles before it spits. Find the line, plop down a turret or something to get it spitting at anything other than you then move in, set up your firing range and start using repair packs.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I launched the rocket, hooray. Now I'm like completely out of oil, though. Time to figure out barrels! (not gonna try the tanker mod yet)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Tonight I automated green science and i've managed to avoid the biters completely so far. I've walled off my section of the world, given the guns on the walls more ammo then i think they'll need just to be safe and they can resupply from a looping set of ammo behind them. Now i'm just automating some items i think i'll need while waiting for the research to go.

Productive night, didn't want to turn the game off.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Indecisive posted:

I launched the rocket, hooray. Now I'm like completely out of oil, though. Time to figure out barrels! (not gonna try the tanker mod yet)

Barrels are just irritating and consume steel. You make empties and load them, ship them out and unload them, fill them then load them again, ship them back, unload them and empty then punt the empties back into the return queue. Try it and see how much you hate it then get the rail tanker.

dogstile posted:

Tonight I automated green science and i've managed to avoid the biters completely so far. I've walled off my section of the world, given the guns on the walls more ammo then i think they'll need just to be safe and they can resupply from a looping set of ammo behind them. Now i'm just automating some items i think i'll need while waiting for the research to go.

Productive night, didn't want to turn the game off.

If you get quiet moments, always go around automating construction of whatever you don't do already. You'll thank yourself later once you get logistics going. You simply replace all your stopped down chests or smart chests with passive providers and your networks contains everything you want. Much less hassle to do it over time like that.

Today's new mod: something that will make some of you recoil in horror. Toxic Jungle
It sounds like an interesting if not annoying challenge, I'll roll one up sometime and see. At least there's no danger of running out of wood.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

FalloutGod posted:

Its funny how different people play the game when they first start out. I knew the premise of Factorio but nothing of the bits and pieces and how they worked when I launched it. My first game I played a solid 10 hours and out of curiosity looked up a lets play. This guy does more in the first hour than I do in my first 5 then more in the 2nd hour than I did in my next 5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk I guess it all makes sense looking back but drat how inefficient I was. I played the first tutorial and figured it wasn't so bad so I jumped right into free play. Do the next 3 campaign parts go over linking all the little factories together and the concept of a "main bus" and more advanced tips like that?
I watched a little bit of this and it's a very interesting idea which I might take up sometime soon.
That said, the list of mods is insane and somehow I've done myself a disservice by never looking into all of these quality-of-life mods that really ought to be in the base game. So I'm curious..

Does anyone happen to know if there's a mod that will turn off all "under attack" warning sounds? For that matter, maybe make it so the warning icon at the bottom is smaller? I really like the factory defense aspect of the game (despite most people not enjoying it as much) and would like it a lot more if I didn't have to hear that annoying warning sound every time I got hit.

Edit: Oh, right, alerts volume is a slider.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Loopoo posted:

Better is to set up however many turrets just on the edge of aggro range, and then aggro the biter swarm, fight them off with piercing rounds and the turrets. the minute they're dead, charge in and wipe out one or two nests. rinse and repeat. each wave should be smaller cause the nests you've killed lower their spawn rate.

Turrets do base double damage, plus their specific upgrades. It's much more ammo efficient to have them do the heavy lifting of spawner/worm slaughter.

E: Not to mention, you face fewer waves when you have 8 turrets ganging up on spawners. You're most effective playing Repairbot.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 28, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Evilreaver posted:

Turrets do base double damage, plus their specific upgrades. It's much more ammo efficient to have them do the heavy lifting of spawner/worm slaughter.

E: Not to mention, you face fewer waves when you have 8 turrets ganging up on spawners. You're most effective playing Repairbot.

It's worth pointing out that double base damage is even better than it sounds, since things like nests and worms have static damage reduction that still only applies once. A piercing round from a turret, without any damage upgrades whatsoever, will do 10-4=6 damage to a medium worm (which will kill it in 6 seconds, with a single turret). A piercing round from your gun under the same circumstances will do 5-4=1 damage (not happening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My wife and I just built the Rocket Silo in our first co-op base.

We're kind of at a loss what to do now, because it requires a bunch of stuff we've never had to build before, and I doubt our base is in any way set up to actually do it.

Do we build one Satellite, and then have the Rocket Silo build enough rocket parts to get to 100%? Or is there more?