Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

nooneofconsequence posted:

Something about the way he did that and the way he delivered that line was really funny to me. It felt really cartoony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIrwNwtzfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm confused about the ninjas. Are they zombies or what? No heartbeats, but they exhale. But Matt wasn't bothered by the Punisher getting headshots from the water tower.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What was he gonna do about it, interrupt his fight with the ninjas to go punch frank in the face?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So I finally watched this. It was kinda stale and didn't grab my interest. Also everything was so incredibly dark. Not just in the metaphorical sense. I could barely see what's going on in some of those fights. I don't think I will ever see a season 3 of this. I don't even know if that is planned anyway.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Zzulu posted:

What was he gonna do about it, interrupt his fight with the ninjas to go punch frank in the face?

Well, he did in earlier episodes.

Air is lava! posted:

So I finally watched this. It was kinda stale and didn't grab my interest. Also everything was so incredibly dark. Not just in the metaphorical sense. I could barely see what's going on in some of those fights. I don't think I will ever see a season 3 of this. I don't even know if that is planned anyway.

Get a new TV.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
How are they gonna up the ante for Hallway Fight Third Edition? Train roof? Mountainside? Skydive?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kraps posted:

How are they gonna up the ante for Hallway Fight Third Edition? Train roof? Mountainside? Skydive?

They're either going to add a bear or a gorilla into the mix.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

RareAcumen posted:

They're either going to add a bear or a gorilla into the mix.

Murdock will hit the grizzly with a flying knee strike to prevent it from killing the Big Bad whose heart beat is linked to a trigger or a dirty bomb underneath Foggy's office building.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Overall the Season was decent Everything to do with castle wasmy favorite. The stick\elecktra and The Hand stuff drags on for the season and kinda bores me. Foggy continues to be the worst part of the show for me I kinda just want him shut his fat face and not bother DD with his whiney bullshit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

nickmeister posted:

I'm confused about the ninjas. Are they zombies or what? No heartbeats, but they exhale. But Matt wasn't bothered by the Punisher getting headshots from the water tower.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that season 2 was originally going to have only Elektra and that they got permission to use the Punisher part way through. Which makes sense, and would require some re-writing. Personally I think there was another change from having the Punisher as a villain to having him as an ally that required a third re-write when they realized how good Bernthal was or how much potential the Punisher had. Frank puts a gun to the door of the rooftop in episode 4 and shows every willingness to kill that old guy to keep himself and Daredevil isolated. Put that together with him waltzing through the hospital firing off shotgun rounds and I think originally Frank was supposed to cross the line and kill an innocent at some point (either accidentally or consciously) and thus put some distance between him and Matt, and they changed that during production and just had him go "I was always in control and could have hit you anytime" to Karen to cover it up. Its's lame as a viewer, but probably not avoidable from a production standpoint considering they fast-tracked the second season (and Punisher) and had less than a year (just) to do the whole thing.

I would suspect that originally Matt couldn't hear the Hands hearts because they had none, and that Claire's scene at the hospital was going to illustrate this via the ninja who already had an autopsy to take his heart out. Which I think would have been rather interesting and made them more frightening, but that it was cut for time along with a lot else - hence why we ended up with that lame shot of Frank on the roof helping out after he kills the Blacksmith. And that the reason his subplot goes nowhere and is so limp is because it was inserted at the last minute. The Blacksmith has no build up or pay off when he dies - he's just there and dead a few minutes later. Which is why I suspect some people have so much trouble identifying Clancy Brown as him, because it's just not narratively satisfying. I also refuse to believe Madame Gao (or anyone really) had so much trouble tracking him of all people, but I suppose that's a separate matter.

It's a shame, because rather than season 2 of Daredevil it really felt like, as some described it, season 1 of the Punisher also starring Karen Page with guest stars Daredevil and Foggy Nelson. And Punisher killing off a barely revealed enemy with no real tension like the Blacksmith doesn't even feel like a good origin story if it is going to be a Punisher season instead. I also think Foggy would get a lot less hate if he didn't constantly have a hurt puppy expression on his face. I loved him again though, and really hope next season gives him the same focus Karen has been getting all along.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

tsob posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages back that season 2 was originally going to have only Elektra and that they got permission to use the Punisher part way through. Which makes sense, and would require some re-writing. Personally I think there was another change from having the Punisher as a villain to having him as an ally that required a third re-write when they realized how good Bernthal was or how much potential the Punisher had. Frank puts a gun to the door of the rooftop in episode 4 and shows every willingness to kill that old guy to keep himself and Daredevil isolated. Put that together with him waltzing through the hospital firing off shotgun rounds and I think originally Frank was supposed to cross the line and kill an innocent at some point (either accidentally or consciously) and thus put some distance between him and Matt, and they changed that during production and just had him go "I was always in control and could have hit you anytime" to Karen to cover it up. Its's lame as a viewer, but probably not avoidable from a production standpoint considering they fast-tracked the second season (and Punisher) and had less than a year (just) to do the whole thing.

I would suspect that originally Matt couldn't hear the Hands hearts because they had none, and that Claire's scene at the hospital was going to illustrate this via the ninja who already had an autopsy to take his heart out. Which I think would have been rather interesting and made them more frightening, but that it was cut for time along with a lot else - hence why we ended up with that lame shot of Frank on the roof helping out after he kills the Blacksmith. And that the reason his subplot goes nowhere and is so limp is because it was inserted at the last minute. The Blacksmith has no build up or pay off when he dies - he's just there and dead a few minutes later. Which is why I suspect some people have so much trouble identifying Clancy Brown as him, because it's just not narratively satisfying. I also refuse to believe Madame Gao (or anyone really) had so much trouble tracking him of all people, but I suppose that's a separate matter.

It's a shame, because rather than season 2 of Daredevil it really felt like, as some described it, season 1 of the Punisher also starring Karen Page with guest stars Daredevil and Foggy Nelson. And Punisher killing off a barely revealed enemy with no real tension like the Blacksmith doesn't even feel like a good origin story if it is going to be a Punisher season instead. I also think Foggy would get a lot less hate if he didn't constantly have a hurt puppy expression on his face. I loved him again though, and really hope next season gives him the same focus Karen has been getting all along.

This is pretty interesting. I definitely got the feeling that the Punisher's ending wasn't completely flushed out. He does so much to show the audience that he's just a broken psycho who will eventually end up hurting someone innocent. But after he mercilessly executes the final boss, he's on the rooftop at the end sniping ninjas and winking at the camera. I mean, DD risked both of their lives to prevent him from killing people when he could. I was like, "uh, did we learn nothing?!" Also, I didn't understand why the "Blacksmith" tried to get Castle killed in the park.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rocksicles posted:

Elektra was a whole level above what i thought she'd be. Her stunt woman deserves an emmy or something.

Elodie Yung is a karate black belt.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kraps posted:

moving walkway like in airports.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

It's one of the best-looking shows on TV, if you have a proper(ly calibrated) TV. I can't watch the show with the default settings on my TV, though.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

nickmeister posted:

This is pretty interesting. I definitely got the feeling that the Punisher's ending wasn't completely flushed out. He does so much to show the audience that he's just a broken psycho who will eventually end up hurting someone innocent. But after he mercilessly executes the final boss, he's on the rooftop at the end sniping ninjas and winking at the camera. I mean, DD risked both of their lives to prevent him from killing people when he could. I was like, "uh, did we learn nothing?!" Also, I didn't understand why the "Blacksmith" tried to get Castle killed in the park.

Frank knew about some drug stuff in the middle east I guess.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

A note on the darkness - unless you have a newish shiny tv you've got to mess with your gamma settings to see well.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and even I had to go deep into the options and screw with the gamma so I could probably see what the hell was happening.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

nickmeister posted:

The ninjas are alive. Only Nobu is a zombie. It's less that Matt was a-ok with Frank shooting people and more that he couldn't stop it and it saved his life. He's not gonna go track him down and give him a talking to.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

The ninjas are alive. Only Nobu is a zombie. It's less that Matt was a-ok with Frank shooting people and more that he couldn't stop it and it saved his life. He's not gonna go track him down and give him a talking to.

The ninja Temple kills died twice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Season was pretty good overall, I liked episodes 3 and 4 the most.

The fight scenes were great especially how Daredevil, Punisher and Elektra all had a unique fighting style.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Four Score posted:

What now? Temple is the Assistant DA, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ADA is Blake Tower. Temple is Claire, the nurse.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Do we know what the big giant hole thing is? Sneaking out dirt in a train sure is some nefarious activity (that went nowhere).

Wilson Fisk, The Purple Man, The Punisher... all the absolute best things about Netflix Marvel by a long way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm guessing that with the mention of Electra being a living weapon and the Hand having stumbled across some real power in the past, they're digging the hole to try and find a route to connect with a city of Heaven or something. And they're trying to make themselves a new one of the Cities of Heaven using Elektra maybe? All of which would do more to connect it with Iron Fist and presumably wrap up in Defenders.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Four Score posted:

Plus the no heartbeats thing. Did they even know DD is blind to switch off their hearts?

It felt like the Hand stuff was the product of three different drafts that got mashed together at the last minute.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobu conceals his heartbeat in season 1, they know.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

How did you miss the whole bit about a double-autopsied ninja?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished going through the entire series, taking my sweet time on it to make sure that I didn't miss anything and fully immerse in all it had to offer.

And it had a lot to offer. The show is so much more richer this season than last, with wonderful scenes entirely consisting of two people with a bunch of history just going at each other. And that's putting aside how much more intense the action is, how much more ambitious (I counted at least three versions of last season's ep 2 end fight), and how it reflected the characters even better. Daredevil's description as a boxer that also is an acrobat has never been more fleshed out than in this season, the ninja action was gloriously over the top, and characters like Fisk, Punisher, and Elektra all retained separate fighting styles that spoke to what they were all about.

The interplay between the different narratives in each episode was also a step up, when sometimes you would find things slowing down by taking the focus of Daredevil/Fisk, I found the court case, Page's investigation, the Punisher, and Elektra narratives building on each other, conveying a whole lot of plot and action without anything being lost in the shuffle.

I also loved the love stories. I thought the Karen/Murdock kiss at the end of ep 4 to be profoundly affecting, and a great burst of positivity and sweetness in a show that could have easily been mired in one note. Karen Page's actor was especially great in conveying being lovestruck, and Murdock's actor had charisma with every lady strolling through the show basically, which is pretty true to the character.

The ending was great too, and I found Elektra's exit to be affecting. Looking forward to seeing what they cook up next year, and if they can manage to put even more into this brew. Maybe translating Bendis' run, making the world a little bit more realistic? Bulleseye? Murdock being revealed to be Daredevil? We'll see!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't Bullseye's big moment killing Elektra with her own sai? Is there even a point putting him in if Nobu has already done that?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tsob posted:

Isn't Bullseye's big moment killing Elektra with her own sai? Is there even a point putting him in if Nobu has already done that?

If a villain's single defining moment is fridging the hero's ex then you probably need to flesh the character out a bit more.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 28, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsob posted:

I thought he kills Karen Page using Daredevil's billy club.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Bullseye: his character is killing Matt's girlfriends.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HIJK posted:

Oh yeah, he killed Karen too, didn't he?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HIJK posted:

That's also Matt's character.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That's also Matt's character.

Matt has tragedy and suicidal ideation masquerading as heroism as well, to be fair. Bullseye consists solely of "hitman kills people with plastic playing cards, chuckles uproariously the entire time."

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh yeah, he killed Karen too, didn't he?

Karen, Elektra, and then I think some rando Matt hooked up with at some point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HIJK posted:

Maybe Matt should just start dating his nemeses. Invite Fisk out to a nice dinner and then *BAM* fatman is dead before the desert cart rolls around.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Maybe Matt should just start dating his nemeses. Invite Fisk out to a nice dinner and then *BAM* fatman is dead before the desert cart rolls around.

Matt should go gay for great justice!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HIJK posted:

Matt has tragedy and suicidal ideation masquerading as heroism as well, to be fair. Bullseye consists solely of "hitman kills people with plastic playing cards, chuckles uproariously the entire time."

Eventually Murdock got fed up with all this and broke Bullseye's back 24 times.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
The two halves of the plot were often connected a bit awkwardly at the end, but I really enjoyed the dual plots during episodes 4-8. Matt being pulled into two directions by Elektra and the Punisher case made for some great drama - and infiltrating the Roxxon headquarters for the ledger was a fun episode. After the yakuza started to get replaced by ninjas it started to go downhill a little bit - the ninjas themselves aren't particularly exciting fights (though I did like the one in his apartment), but the whole weird creepy blood ritual thing going on was interesting at least.

I'm not really sure what they could have done to make the ninjas more interesting - I suppose one thing that a lot of the better villains in this series have had done for them, even the side villains (see : all of Fisk's lieutenants in season 1, the Punisher, the DA, Elektra), is letting the audience getting to know them a bit and show their personality. The current batch of ninjas outside of Elektra and Stick are all pretty much faceless and emotionless (Nobu isn't much of an exception here), but that's kinda a defining trait of ninjas so I can't really imagine them pulling interesting villains out of the Hand. Maybe if they showed the inner workings of the hand a little more - got more of a feel for their strange cult and motivations, instead of 'ninjas show up to kill people inexplicably'.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 28, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So Daredevil is a mutant or something, his powers came from getting toxic waste on him. What about Stick though, does he have some kind of magic that lets him do the stuff he does or is he just naturally that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, if you believe him he's had hundreds of years of practice.