Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

PostNouveau posted:

Texas is still imprisoning an inmate who was found innocent in 2008.

Kind of a misleading title since the Court of criminal appeals overturned the district courts ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Mayor of Crystal City (you know, the one where every official except one council member is under indictment) wants to run again: http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/26/resigned-and-indicted-crystal-city-mayor-running-a/

quote:

Lopez — who says he has no steady job beyond selling used cars he buys on Craigslist (Crystal City does not pay its mayor or council members) — shrugged off his legal troubles. He spoke of political affiliations not in terms of Democrats or Republicans, but factions lined up behind families. He portrayed himself as a would-be reformer who was forced out of a government riddled with corruption elsewhere.

“I’m being accused of bribery, right? And there‘s certain things people don’t know, and they’re not allowed to know yet. Why? Because there’s a big investigation,” he said. Excepting himself, “everybody who’s been in the city council has ripped off this town,” Lopez added. “I didn’t touch anything. I didn’t grab any money.”

Lopez says he did accept a brown paper bag filled with $40,000 cash last summer from Ngoc Tri Nguyen, the “8-liner” gaming room operator also indicted in the alleged cash-for-favors scheme. The money was payment for a building he sold the businessman known as “Mr. T.,” Lopez says.

He says he was initially wary of the unorthodox payment, but figured it best not to ask questions.

Sounds legit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not paying the mayor and city council sounds like a fantastically bad idea.

Yes let's copy the Roman method of ensuring we get the most corrupt and incompetent officials possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VitalSigns posted:

Yes let's copy the Roman method of ensuring we get the most corrupt and incompetent officials possible.

Even the state legislature only gets like $600/month (and they meet every other year). This has the result you think it will.

e: Going off Wikipedia they also get a salary for every day they're in session, but again it's really small. The 2 year term pays $43,000.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
"They should have to earn a living just like the rest of us!"

OK, Mom. So you want the people making the rules that everyone has to follow to be as informed about fishing rights in the Gulf as you are? Or did you just mean that you want it to be financially impossible for anyone that isn't independently wealthy to be in charge of the state government?

She actually stopped saying that after I pointed out the consequences of it that way, so :toot:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

For most cities of that size, the city council is part time so they don't get paid at all. The city manager is supposed to basically run the entire city, and the council meets every two weeks to make high-level decisions.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Crystal City is a great example of what happens when you drop a sleepy little dying town into the middle of the Eagle Ford shale. There's shitloads of money flying around there, and when you ask people who've had no money ever to choose between money and no money, the answers will be very obvious.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
I'm glad an entire subthread has proven when life begins, and when killing a baby isn't murder, and also keeping the great thought in the back of their minds that "well even if it is murder its actually good!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

The Mayor of Crystal City (you know, the one where every official except one council member is under indictment) wants to run again: http://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/26/resigned-and-indicted-crystal-city-mayor-running-a/

Sounds legit.

I wish I could find the clip from King of the Hill where several city council members have to recuse themselves from some situation because they are all under indictment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

anne frank fanfic posted:

I'm glad an entire subthread has proven when life begins, and when killing a baby isn't murder, and also keeping the great thought in the back of their minds that "well even if it is murder its actually good!"

Lemme just drop this here epic troll at 7:20 on a Monday morning.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

zoux posted:

Lemme just drop this here epic troll at 7:20 on a Monday morning.

Real shitpost hours. If you up, smash that mf 1-vote.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
I enjoy defending human life at all hours of the morning, but I still have not heard a logical response to actively supporting the killing of babies except "well it seems like life maybe doesnt begin until 3.1253 months as opposed to 4.249283 months but its inconclusive but whatever" and "well so what! I heard a political party say another bad thing so baby murder is good"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I enjoy defending human life at all hours of the morning, but I still have not heard a logical response to actively supporting the killing of babies except "well it seems like life maybe doesnt begin until 3.1253 months as opposed to 4.249283 months but its inconclusive but whatever" and "well so what! I heard a political party say another bad thing so baby murder is good"

drat, the guy who killed a guy on wikipedia reduced to "actually, Republicanism is good" in D&D smh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Let me help you there....

*ahem* It's none of your damned business, and you don't get to set the lines when it comes to medicine based on arbitrary religious ideology about birth and pregnancy.

Troll somewhere else.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Let me help you there....

*ahem* It's none of your damned business, and you don't get to set the lines when it comes to medicine based on arbitrary religious ideology about birth and pregnancy.

Troll somewhere else.

When does life begin? (Source?)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Life begins when you start paying property taxes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The trouble is that "life" is a really fuzzy medical determination. But the inability to nail down when it occurs actually argues strongly against blanket declarations of abortion being illegal past an arbitrary time via legislation instead of letting people and their doctors make the call. If you do the former as our state has done you get things like this (posted in the Austin Reddit a day ago):

quote:

Me and my wife were expecting our first child. She had been pregnant for over four months. We did all the check ups, all the screenings. By all accounts he was a happy, healthy, big for his age little man, with his father's nose.

That was until my wife's cervix decided to dilate.
By the time we got to the hospital, his feet were already coming out of the womb and pushing through the cervix. We tried a litany of emergency measures, but the sack was already outside the womb. There was nothing that we could do.
The only humane thing to do at that point would be to pop the sack, and let little Fox come into this world too early to survive outside.

However, thanks to Texas' frankly inhumane and cruel "Women's Health Laws", this wasn't an option.

He still had a heart beat, which we were forced to listen to.

Because of this, and his age, any attempts to induce labor would be considered a late-term abortion.

Even though he had no chance of surviving, this was considered an abortion.

These laws made my wife feel our child struggle inside her for days. We cried ourselves to sleep every night. We spent four days in and out of the hospital waiting for nature to take it's course.
These laws, in their effect, forced a woman to give birth to a stillborn baby.

Regardless of where one stands on pro-choice vs pro-life, I think that we can all agree that forcing a person to go through labor for a non-viable baby is cruel, inhumane, and morally indefensible.
Whatever your stance on the issue is, I hope you understand that the way the law is now is hopelessly broken.

If there is a Christian God, he would hate anyone who would put ideology in front of humanity.
Please, please, please work to either repeal or amend these laws.

They are hopelessly inadequate for dealing with the complexities of human reproduction.
Me and my wife are home now. Grieving for our loss. We'll get through this. My heart breaks, however, for the hundreds, if not thousands of others that will be effected by these godless laws.
Please, do everything your power to amend or repeal these awful laws.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nobody knows. Not even you. But let's talk about the horrors and heartache you've decided to forcibly put expectant parents and desperate mothers through by locking them out of legal and safe medical procedures you pretentious dick.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Well, you can't live without lungs and lungs are one of the last things to be formed in a fetus which is why I find those ads about when the heart is formed a bit silly.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

VitalSigns posted:

In Denton they aren't paid, but they make up for it by being uninformed and terrible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

2.7-3.5 billion years ago.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Someone else elaborate on the unborn are sacred, post-born can get hosed angle please because I have to leave for a doctor's appointment.

Maybe the Why the gently caress don't you support comprehensive sex ed then part as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

Someone else elaborate on the unborn are sacred, post-born can get hosed angle please because I have to leave for a doctor's appointment.

Maybe the Why the gently caress don't you support comprehensive sex ed then part as well.

Because women are whores and should pay for having sex outside of marriage or even enjoying sex at all. Their bastard offspring must suffer with them

No seriously. I've been told that by someone who was dead serious.

But men who have sex get high fives and well wishes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boy y'all can't help yourselves huh?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

Boy y'all can't help yourselves huh?

What's your hypothesis, then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What's your hypothesis, then?

"Don't bite on obvious trolls"

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It's less biting on an obvious troll and more jerking off right onto his exposed face after he posted a sign asking us to.

That doesn't make it sound better, does it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Legalize drugs and murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNG63rf9LQ

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

"Don't bite on obvious trolls"

Oh, you meant the start of the exchange. Good point.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shifty Pony posted:

The trouble is that "life" is a really fuzzy medical determination. But the inability to nail down when it occurs actually argues strongly against blanket declarations of abortion being illegal past an arbitrary time via legislation instead of letting people and their doctors make the call. If you do the former as our state has done you get things like this (posted in the Austin Reddit a day ago):

The worst part is that he named his kid Fox.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/715292289489321986/photo/1

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Gay Hitler posted:

Many community leaders also dressed for charity and I was certainly not the most shocking costume.

He better supply pics of the other costumes if that's his excuse.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A straight Hitler costume would be worse right? Might have been one there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jewish Hitler maybe. Gay Hitler is certainly in the top tier of unbelievably provocative costumes though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ehehehehe
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/719582074512879616

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So what's the over-under on how long it takes to worm his way out of this one? Three, four months?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He hasn't wormed his way out of the criminal charges yet.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lol Ken Paxton

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An Angry Bug posted:

So what's the over-under on how long it takes to worm his way out of this one? Three, four months?

he goin2jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It's a civil trial right now.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/11/sec-charges-paxton-securities-fraud/