Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ClamWin :v:

Seriously though I've been very happy with TrendMicro Office Scan. It's saved us from a couple crypto-locker infections already.

I too have seen TrendMicro stop cryptolocker in the wild. It's good and generally doesn't get in the way of anything / take up a shitload of resources.

The cloud-based portal (Worry-Free Business Service) is a loving abomination though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ratbert90 posted:

Whats wrong with WSE?

I can never tell anymore, but assuming you're not joking, it's because it is not very good at all whatsoever.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-essentials-fails-antivirus-test.aspx

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Microsoft Forefront :getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

I can never tell anymore, but assuming you're not joking, it's because it is not very good at all whatsoever.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-essentials-fails-antivirus-test.aspx

Huh, well now I know! I don't use Windows very often in my day to day. :unsmith:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

It also performed the worst out of any tested product in the AV Comparatives test from this February:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/avc_factsheet2016_02.pdf

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

I like ESET a lot

Thirding this. Running it in a similarly sized environment and It Just Works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Definitely McAfee :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely McAfee :v:

I endorse the official John McAfee method for removing his software.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
We use MSE and Forefront, with open Internet access to staff and no windows updates on the Infrastructure in the last 4 years because the guy in charge thinks they will destroy the servers :coal:

I'm surprised that we've only had three ransomware attacks get through in the last 6 months.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We use ESET for our MSP A/V offering

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We use Kaspersky and it is great.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Our new desktop support guy is a newly-graduated math major and doesn't understand that different use cases require different tools. A while back he asked us to buy him a personal license of MATLAB to script things in our Windows environment; I just asked him to write up some documentation for our inventory system and he handed me back a LaTeX document. :cmon:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

beepsandboops posted:

Our new desktop support guy is a newly-graduated math major and doesn't understand that different use cases require different tools. A while back he asked us to buy him a personal license of MATLAB to script things in our Windows environment; I just asked him to write up some documentation for our inventory system and he handed me back a LaTeX document. :cmon:

This is great. Maybe he'll give you something written in Haskell soon.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Math majors are like autistic children, generally speaking they know how to do a thing one very exact way and they're usually pretty good at that but ask them to think outside the box and whooooooahhhh buddy let's slow it down..

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Math majors are like autistic children, generally speaking they know how to do a thing one very exact way and they're usually pretty good at that but ask them to think outside the box and whooooooahhhh buddy let's slow it down..

Generalizations are fantastic eh

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Especially since that generalization applies to every spergtastic nerd in IT.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Generalizations are fantastic eh

Including "eh" in a post criticizing generalizations as a Canadian is some next-level stuff. :golfclap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys, I have a PSA for you:

Don't actually put "Code Monkey" or "Computer Janitor" on your resumes. Thanks in advanced!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

Don't actually put "Code Monkey" or "Computer Janitor" on your resumes. Thanks in advanced!

"Ninja rockstar warrior guru"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

"Ninja rockstar warrior guru"

Counter Terrorist

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
"Slave labourer"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Dirt raker.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo this is amazing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure you know what math is.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

I'm not sure you know what math is.

I wanna know what math is
I want you to show me

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Listening to this entire song now, thanks

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Least lovely AV software for < 150 Windows computers?

Currently using Kasperky but we're close to renewal time.

Whatever integrates into your monitoring and rmm software.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ratbert90 posted:

My favourite was seeing someone write something like "you can stop looking because you've found your guy!" in his cover letter. Shine on, you confident bastard :allears:.

We didn't give him an interview, but we all got a decent laugh at least.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite was seeing someone write something like "you can stop looking because you've found your guy!" in his cover letter. Shine on, you confident bastard :allears:.

We didn't give him an interview, but we all got a decent laugh at least.

Amazing. :allears:

I told the hiring lady: At least 4 years of experience.

I got 3 resumes today, all of which less than 2, one was a YEAR OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

4 years of experience in Windows 10, thx.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Let's not forget: don't put poo poo like "A driven drive and devoted ___" in your summary.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a fast learner and I've got great people skills, just like every other applicant you'll receive!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here is a list of my qualifications, and here is my cover letter it states, "Here is a list of my qualifications, I feel I am qualified for your job."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
MS Office skills (2007, 2010, 2012)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

Let's not forget: don't put poo poo like "A driven drive and devoted ___" in your summary.

If it follows "driven drive" than it would be a "devoted devotee."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MS Office skills (2007, 2010, 2012)

This gave me a hearty laugh, thank you.

What really stands out to you guys in a cover letter, in one or two phases?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This gave me a hearty laugh, thank you.

What really stands out to you guys in a cover letter, in one or two phases?

Dear <whoever>,

I am good because <reasons>.

I want this jobs (<-- Edit: Not intentional but leaving it) because <reasons>.

Your company is appealing because <reasons>.

Hire me.

Sincerely,
<name>

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 28, 2016

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Dear <whoever>,

I am good because <reasons>.

I want this jobs (<-- Edit: Not intentional but leaving it) because <reasons>.

Your company is appealing because <reasons>.

Hire me.

Sincerely,
<name>

I agree with this. I don't want a short story in a cover letter, let's keep it prompt mmmk?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"I am willing to perform services in exchange for currency."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Trauma posted:

"I am willing to perform services in exchange for currency."

:heysexy: