Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

G0RF posted:

Finally found it- it was further back than I thought.

EDIT: And now I see AP posted it a page ago... Wingman later jumped in and said it wasn't her. But it seems salty all the same, and clearly, the tussle was underway by then.

Well it could be just a non-serious remark. And he just (jokingly) accused a random Sandi-"fan" of actually being Sandi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Also meanwhile in Russia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06B-VOiFomo
Best clouds/sky in any video game ever!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Wonder if SC can beat that.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Probably not.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Wonder if SC can beat that.

It's already in Squadron 42, they just haven't showed it to us due to spoilers

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Also meanwhile in Russia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06B-VOiFomo
Best clouds/sky in any video game ever!

thought that was real life for a while there, wow.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Not the ELE; but some interesting developments on the crowdfunding side of things (more relating to equity crowdfunding, but got some nice tidbits on vanilla crowdfunding too)
http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2016/03/83470-jobs-act-crowdfunding-begins-on-may-16-2016-dont-get-busted-for-solicitation/

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

I can't imagine either one of them bowing out entirely. Chris "I have faith in" Roberts is a brand at this point, a name on which the spending habits of a large swath of whales are hinged and their temperament moderated. Even if Erin essentially took complete control of the production/marketing of the game Chris wouldn't be announced as departed and, I can't help but imagine, he would be unwilling to remove himself from the cinematic aspects of the game. To say nothing of the confidence upset such a departure would cause.

In the event that such an upset is being discussed internally I find it far more likely that much of the public face would recede under various reasonable pretenses and be replaced with different personalities/formats with every effort made to avoid raising flags.

Like you I feel rather strongly that Erin Roberts is a guy who enjoys making and wishes to continue making video games. While I'm certainly not confidant of anything moving in any precise direction the more moderate scenarios that some have outlined seem infinitely more plausible than the path in which CIG remains in existence while CR/SG are kicked out the door.
Yeah, I do agree-- Chris is there until the end, unless that end is the improbable buyout.

Sandi has had one foot out the door from the moment they got to LA. She's obviously staying busy with her acting career-- with a couple of movies coming out this year-- and suggested to a disappointed Batgirl before that she might move on and pursue acting full time in the not too distant future. I expect she would bolt, and FAST, if it looks like CIG was fully doomed-- she's looking out for what's best for her at any and every moment, and she'd know that it would be insane not to put some distance between herself and the crash.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well it could be just a non-serious remark. And he just (jokingly) accused a random Sandi-"fan" of actually being Sandi.
True, it could be.

It seems to me that by making it, he's raising the specter that the VP of marketing was really angling for her own hosting gig, which she apparently was and he presumably wasn't happy about. (Rightly so, particularly in hindsight.)

The joke-- if a joke-- makes Sandi look like the sort that creates alt accounts and plugs herself- and it does so in front of the backers... That's pretty unflattering, even as a joke. So in the context of their tug of war- the one she ultimately won- it seems like Eric was raising a specter of a struggle underway. (I may be reading too much into this though. I need to look at the chronologies of things to figure out when exactly that happened...)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 28, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

At which DEFCON level are we, would you say

It's hard to say. It all depends on how they react, what they DO come out clean with, and how they spin it.

But when I called it an E.L.E, that would imply DEFON 1 conditions. But even though both can be avoided/resolved depending on the situation, in this case, there is no such option. At all.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

D_Smart posted:

It's hard to say. It all depends on how they react, what they DO come out clean with, and how they spin it.

But when I called it an E.L.E, that would imply DEFON 1 conditions. But even though both can be avoided/resolved depending on the situation, in this case, there is no such option. At all.

Can we get an ETA?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dusty Lens posted:

I can't imagine either one of them bowing out entirely. Chris "I have faith in" Roberts is a brand at this point, a name on which the spending habits of a large swath of whales are hinged and their temperament moderated. Even if Erin essentially took complete control of the production/marketing of the game Chris wouldn't be announced as departed and, I can't help but imagine, he would be unwilling to remove himself from the cinematic aspects of the game. To say nothing of the confidence upset such a departure would cause.

In the event that such an upset is being discussed internally I find it far more likely that much of the public face would recede under various reasonable pretenses and be replaced with different personalities/formats with every effort made to avoid raising flags.

Like you I feel rather strongly that Erin Roberts is a guy who enjoys making and wishes to continue making video games. While I'm certainly not confidant of anything moving in any precise direction the more moderate scenarios that some have outlined seem infinitely more plausible than the path in which CIG remains in existence while CR/SG are kicked out the door.

to entertain this scenario for a bit, I think they would announce Chris taking on a "supervisory" role, essentially just as they did with Freelancer. It would be a way for him to step down while keeping his "brand" on the title. He could even retain control of SQ42 mocap under this guise.

I think this isn't a completely implausible scenario. Obviously the only way it would ever happen is if Chris wanted it to happen, but he might. Sandi has already completely checked out of the project, has threatened to quit multiple times, and probably realizes its not going to get her the acting career she hoped it would. Chris is bored as hell with the actual game-making portion and has probably already dreaming about his next great masterpiece. Why not just collect a paycheck and let other people clean up the mess?

It would also explain why Derek would send an email to Erin asking him to "reconsider". Erin isn't who he wants to go to war with, but if Erin takes the lead on the project he has no choice.

Anyway, just a thought. I assume we'll know more either tonight or after Wednesdays stream.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Sandi has had one foot out the door from the moment they got to LA.

When's the last time she spent any time talking on around the verse? I've sort of lost track.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Derek you'd be a good phone sex operator.

Or a bad one I'm not sure.

In any case gently caress Erin just tell us what happened.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

/r/DerekSmart is going crazy :allears:

I wonder how they will respond to the fact that by forcing Ladyman to change the art, goons saved their stupid board game from getting sued into oblivion.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Derek Smart - this guy is insinuating you may be a child molester, just thought you'd want to know

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4c8epu/star_traders_livestream_is_a_bust_oh_really/d1fznca

Well, when in doubt, call someone a pedophile. It worked for Chris Morris, right? And I decided to finally jump in a Reddit discussion with my two year old account. It was a nice account, and I will miss it when it is downvoted into oblivion.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

When's the last time she spent any time talking on around the verse? I've sort of lost track.
She does her taping sessions weekly. But given how little she reads, it probably doesn't take long. What she does with the rest of her time is unknown. She hasn't crashed the sets (and diets) of the Reverse the Verse team in the last couple of weeks. But since filming is underway on "American Satan" she's probably been a bit too busy to do anything beyond send out social media pics to prove she's at the office.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So Disco Lando has revamped the "Ask a Dev" forum. I have highlighted the significant parts of the text for you all.

inshallah.

It's coming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfHCaQ0_a4g

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuckin lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
countdown to r/starcitizen implying Derek is an ISIS sympathizer

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

She does her taping sessions weekly. But given how little she reads, it probably doesn't take long. What she does with the rest of her time is unknown. She hasn't crashed the sets (and diets) of the Reverse the Verse team in the last couple of weeks. But since filming is underway on "American Satan" she's probably been a bit too busy to do anything beyond send out social media pics to prove she's at the office.

Duh, I meant the live one reverse the verse, sorry. If things are hosed I can well imagine her not wanting to appear live.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
They're closing the RSI forums apart from Concern and a revamped talk-to-the-devs-and-be-ignored section.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

derek did 9/11

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AP posted:

Duh, I meant the live one reverse the verse, sorry. If things are hosed I can well imagine her not wanting to appear live.
It's been two or three weeks since she showed up, I think.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

to entertain this scenario for a bit, I think they would announce Chris taking on a "supervisory" role, essentially just as they did with Freelancer. It would be a way for him to step down while keeping his "brand" on the title. He could even retain control of SQ42 mocap under this guise.

I think this isn't a completely implausible scenario. Obviously the only way it would ever happen is if Chris wanted it to happen, but he might. Sandi has already completely checked out of the project, has threatened to quit multiple times, and probably realizes its not going to get her the acting career she hoped it would. Chris is bored as hell with the actual game-making portion and has probably already dreaming about his next great masterpiece. Why not just collect a paycheck and let other people clean up the mess?

It would also explain why Derek would send an email to Erin asking him to "reconsider". Erin isn't who he wants to go to war with, but if Erin takes the lead on the project he has no choice.

Anyway, just a thought. I assume we'll know more either tonight or after Wednesdays stream.

Given the way the ownership of the company is broken down I would have to think that any move would need to be voluntary. I'm not entirely sure that they would even announce any changes internally, even so far as saying that he's taking on a 'supervisory' role or providing advice. From the perspective of the person casually checking various updates nothing would have changed at all. It just seems like even announcing such a shift would cause an upset given how much energy has been spent reinforcing the idea that Chris micromanages everything.

But yeah, I have no trouble with the idea that Chris/Sandi and so on are more than willing to simply step back and collect their paychecks so long as their credited role remains unchanged and they can follow their own pet projects. I really just do not think that CIG will be shuttering up the company any time soon. Certainly not this month, nor even this year.

Just some rambling thoughts. I am looking forward to this week.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eonwe posted:

they already did that

e: compared him to a terrorist atleast

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's coming...

Is Ben Affleck a Space Marshall like Karl and that guy I forget the name of who can't quote people properly to your knowledge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've given up trying to guess what'll happen next.

And I can't get mad at Derek for saying he knows something but can't share it. That's like getting mad at a dog for licking its balls.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

gently caress your poo poo Derek, really. You've got me edging all day.

Something better loving happen u piece of poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eonwe posted:

and honestly anyone that wants to add me is cool with me

HA! As you well know, I already added you. They got to hear me riffing on CIG in chat last night when I was pleying Bulletstorm. Especially in the Terrordome with the "7D Full Immersion Joyfun"...

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Goobs posted:

Can we get an ETA?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Daztek posted:

They're trying, but pgabz keeps ruining Star Citizen with his cfgs

GOD HATES CFGS

e: fixed a dumb

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 28, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

HA! As you well know, I already added you. They got to hear me riffing on CIG in chat last night when I was pleying Bulletstorm. Especially in the Terrordome with the "7D Full Immersion Joyfun"...

im glad to have anyone on here added

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I'm only suggesting that I would assume Erin would avoid doing interviews or making public statements to reinforce a false notion that things are going fantastically well if he knew better and things were in fact going so horribly that the wheels were coming off even as he spoke. Talk about an unforced error. I know Chris would do that because Chris has said all kinds of things a reasonable game developer would not say on camera and the entire organization is straining under the incredible weight of the mountain of promises he's has made to fans over the years. Yet Erin's on the record comments always seem more measured and cautious. So far at least, he seems like a practical and pragmatic fellow who isn't interested in making the impossible even more so with hyperbole.

If a collapse were to happen, say, next month, the most recent public statements by principals like Erin and Chris would be the first ones cited by the Gaming and Business Press when writing their 9 months overdue examinations of "What Went Wrong" pieces. They would also be the first cited in any class action suits filed by whales who would rightly cry foul that the company completely misrepresented the health / progress of the company even until the 11th hour.

I'll concede there's information asymmetry here. You quite probably know things I do not, and they may in fact reveal that I remain unduly optimistic, inasmuch as I expect to see more obvious warning signs before things truly turn for the worst (management exits, an explosion of new online gossip and anecdotal reports, new goon sign-ups from folks with provocative things to share, etc.) If I'm the Optimist here, it's only because i_still_trust_cig!*

* inside joke, Derek- no need to correct me...

Good points.

Thing is that Erin was doing just fine (Gizmondo aside) when croberts left the biz. And he will again because at the end of the day, this is all on croberts, regardless of how it goes.

And so Erin has every incentive to ride this all the way without breaking ranks. As I've heard, it's not like him and his brother get along all that great anyway. Which explains why they say it took a lot to get Erin on-board for SQ42. To the extent that his brother had to build him a new studio (F42) from scratch as an incentive/reward/bonus for leaving everything behind. Then of course, in typical fashion, croberts won't just step aside and let his brother build the drat game. Why? Because, seriously, croberts really thinks he's making a loving movie and all he's doing is getting in the way of progress. And now, he's hosed BOTH the Star Citizen and SQ42 projects.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I also would like new steam friends.

I'm at work right now so I can't double check, but my steam name should still be Fruit Mangler Prime

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Going to need some EightAce in here stat.

You've (hopefully) had an Easter long weekend off. Get posting.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

lmaoooo.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjOg2kYz9cA

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I like to keep my steam friends list small and it hurts to know that I'm missing out on something special.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mikojan posted:

gently caress your poo poo Derek, really. You've got me edging all day.

Something better loving happen u piece of poo poo.

It really doesn't matter, in fact it will be better if nothing does happen soon, you know it's going to happen eventually and we should be used to delays by this point. If you're reading this from r/derek smart, I have zero doubt that this project is doomed, we're both just waiting for proof, that's why you are reading this and not playing that 30 gig legacy cryengine mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
/dereksmart certainly has higher activity levels - 88 users idling there instead of the usual 40+

the anticipation...

• Locked thread