Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

That video is oddly sexual

awww yeah make that egg jiggle for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having a rough time seasoning my dutch oven. The factory coating was poo poo, and rusted when I cooked with it. I stripped it off with the clean cycle method, and re seasoned. I just cooked a chicken and most of the seasoning from the bottom came up. Any suggestions for seasoning a dutch oven specifically? It doesn't get as much use by far as my other pieces. Maybe I'll use it to cook my weekendly bacon for a while.

Could I just scrub it out with steel wool and go for another round of seasoning?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Massasoit posted:

I'm having a rough time seasoning my dutch oven. The factory coating was poo poo, and rusted when I cooked with it. I stripped it off with the clean cycle method, and re seasoned. I just cooked a chicken and most of the seasoning from the bottom came up. Any suggestions for seasoning a dutch oven specifically? It doesn't get as much use by far as my other pieces. Maybe I'll use it to cook my weekendly bacon for a while.

Could I just scrub it out with steel wool and go for another round of seasoning?

There's no reason that you couldn't cook some bacon in it just like a pan. You can also use the method where you coat it in oil and season it in the oven. You'll need to do a few oven seasoning rounds or cook some fatty things before you cook anything acidic in it like lemon juice, wine, or tomatoes.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I dunno, I could sperg out and season my cast iron skillet so well I could fry an egg in it, or I could just buy a cheapo nonstick skillet for eggs and continue to violently abuse my cast iron.

Tomatoes or acid? gently caress it. Something sticks, steel chore boy. If that fails, wire wheel on an angle grinder. Went clear through the seasoning? gently caress it, it's not like I'm not going to be cooking a pound of bacon in it in the morning anyways. I watched my grandmother clean this skillet with a fistful of dirt and a towel, I can't abuse it harder than that. Just don't soak it, dry it on heat and oil it, and don't stick it in the loving dishwasher, and we're golden.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

rndmnmbr posted:

Just don't soak it, dry it on heat and oil it, and don't stick it in the loving dishwasher, and we're golden.

Pretty much. Cast iron is that awesome old beater truck you can hoon around in and fix pretty good with string and duct tape. Just remember to top the oil off and change it's plugs, and it will kick poo poo around forever.

On that note, I want an old Ford F100

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Suspect Bucket posted:

Cast iron is that awesome old beater truck you can hoon around in and fix pretty good with string and duct tape.

New thread title..

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

rndmnmbr posted:

I dunno, I could sperg out and season my cast iron skillet so well I could fry an egg in it, or I could just buy a cheapo nonstick skillet for eggs and continue to violently abuse my cast iron.

Tomatoes or acid? gently caress it. Something sticks, steel chore boy. If that fails, wire wheel on an angle grinder. Went clear through the seasoning? gently caress it, it's not like I'm not going to be cooking a pound of bacon in it in the morning anyways. I watched my grandmother clean this skillet with a fistful of dirt and a towel, I can't abuse it harder than that. Just don't soak it, dry it on heat and oil it, and don't stick it in the loving dishwasher, and we're golden.

owns

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I've been learning to cook on my 10" Griswold pan for the past year and a half, and have really been enjoying it.

I'm about to move to an apartment that has an glass-top electric range. Someone told me they always heard that you can't use cast iron on a glass top and the Internet is given me mixed information. Concerns seem to be about scratching, cracking (by dropping the pan), or overheating the glass (evidently cast iron is hotter than other metals?).

Is this a real concern or can I just cook on it as long as I don't slam the pan down and slide it around?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I've been using my cast iron on a glass top induction cook top for about two years with absolutely zero problems. There are a few very light scuff marks from me sliding the pan around but I'm sure that would happen eventually with most pans. I've accidentally set the pan down much harder than I meant to and still haven't broken the glass. That poo poo is tough.

If you can rub your hand around on the bottom of the pan and not feel any sharp/rough edges it shouldn't scratch the glass, especially on an old Griswold.

I would cook on it and not worry about it at all.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 29, 2016

augias
Apr 7, 2009

jjack229 posted:

I've been learning to cook on my 10" Griswold pan for the past year and a half, and have really been enjoying it.

I'm about to move to an apartment that has an glass-top electric range. Someone told me they always heard that you can't use cast iron on a glass top and the Internet is given me mixed information. Concerns seem to be about scratching, cracking (by dropping the pan), or overheating the glass (evidently cast iron is hotter than other metals?).

Is this a real concern or can I just cook on it as long as I don't slam the pan down and slide it around?

i spent the summer in another persons apartment. he had a glasstop electric stove. I left a le creuset cast iron pan (with the enameled outside rim) preheating on the stove on high for too long and it cracked from the rim to the center in a glorious bang.

the stovetop was fine.

i had to pay the guy like 190 euro for that piece of poo poo le creuset though.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
What's wrong with Le Creuset? I have three of them and think they are great.

I found this Kickstarter for a company making cast iron pans that are machined and polished like they used to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Currently at $763,436 of their $30,000 goal.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Well there goes a hundred bucks.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Eccles posted:

Well there goes a hundred bucks.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of the pan (especially the machining/polishing) after you get them.

Also, my brother bought this for me to bribe me into helping him move some furniture. I would have helped him anyway though...

It's a souse mold. I can't find much information on it though. No markings on it that I can find. It goes nicely with my pig hibachi.

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 29, 2016

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I am salty because the pan cracked under high heat, which was through my neglect and ignorance entirely but i had expected two high heat tolerant materials to withstand at least two minutes on hi.

Also because i had to pay him for a pan he never really used.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I would love to hear your thoughts on the quality of the pan (especially the machining/polishing) after you get them.

Also, my brother bought this for me to bribe me into helping him move some furniture. I would have helped him anyway though...

It's a souse mold. I can't find much information on it though. No markings on it that I can find. It goes nicely with my pig hibachi.

One man should not possess such a disproportionately large amount of awesome stuff.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I found this Kickstarter for a company making cast iron pans that are machined and polished like they used to be.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/field-company/the-field-skillet-lighter-smoother-cast-iron

Currently at $763,436 of their $30,000 goal.

gently caress

How do I convince my wife I need a $100 cast iron pan

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Biscuit Joiner posted:

It's a souse mold. I can't find much information on it though. No markings on it that I can find.

I snagged one at a yard sale. Never used it, but it looks great on the kitchen wall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Midniter posted:

Gentle mistruths. "Oh look at what we've had forever and didn't just arrive via UPS!"

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

"What the gently caress, I thought you only had one skillet"
- any one of my housemates

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

augias posted:

I am salty because the pan cracked under high heat, which was through my neglect and ignorance entirely but i had expected two high heat tolerant materials to withstand at least two minutes on hi.

Also because i had to pay him for a pan he never really used.

Ah, that I can understand. Not to make it worse but Le Creuset has a pretty good warranty and they may have replaced it for you.

The Midniter posted:

gently caress

Tell her it's a wedding present for your kids and you need to use it to make sure it's well seasoned for them.
Or smack her in the head with it when she asks about it, she'll eventually forget. :downswords:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I snagged one at a yard sale. Never used it, but it looks great on the kitchen wall.

I hung mine on the kitchen wall as well. Do you know anything about them? Does yours have any marks on it?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Almost anything will blow the gently caress up or be irretrievably burned if you leave it on a hot cooktop and just ignore it for a couple hours.

That said, I've left cast iron on a campfire overnight when out camping, and had it completely burn off the seasoning.. Didn't hurt the cast iron at all.

I'd imagine that the la creuset guy probably had some chips in it that allowed moisture to seep in under the enamel or something. The easiest way to crack an iron skillet is to get it super super hot while it's empty and then shock it with cold temps.

jjack229 posted:

Glass scratches steel, not the other way around. Just don't drop it on the cooktop or set it down super hard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Glass scratches steel, not the other way around. Just don't drop it on the cooktop or set it down super hard.

Color me surprised; you're absolutely right about that.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Thanks, glad to know it's not a big deal. I'll just plow ahead with using my cast iron for nearly everything then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My grandmother died a couple weeks back, so now I have no grandparents. But I did get this out of it:

Apparently this pan belonged to my great grandmother. It looks pretty old school, nice smooth finish and a bottom ring close to the edge.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

jjack229 posted:

It's an apartment stove. The fact that you're even concerned about it means you're already miles ahead of the average renter. You're fine.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Ah, that I can understand. Not to make it worse but Le Creuset has a pretty good warranty and they may have replaced it for you.

Yeah, le creuset germany did not want to replace it without proof of purchase. Lord knows I tried. I've heard Le Creuset in the USofA is a lot more forgiving about htings like that? My best friend's wife says she got a replacement for a cracked dutch oven without provinding them anything but an email :confused:

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

My grandmother died a couple weeks back, so now I have no grandparents. But I did get this out of it:

Apparently this pan belonged to my great grandmother. It looks pretty old school, nice smooth finish and a bottom ring close to the edge.

If you you were wondering about the pan, I think that is an old Lodge from between 1940 and 1950. The three notches in the heat ring say it's a Lodge and they put their name on them before 1940 and from 1987 to present. After 1950 it would have an "SK" before the 8 indicating that it was a skillet. After 1960 (when a lot of imported cast iron started coming in) it would have "Made in USA" on it as well.

augias posted:

Yeah, le creuset germany did not want to replace it without proof of purchase. Lord knows I tried. I've heard Le Creuset in the USofA is a lot more forgiving about htings like that? My best friend's wife says she got a replacement for a cracked dutch oven without provinding them anything but an email :confused:

I haven't had to use their warranty but I have heard they are very lenient in the US. Still sucks for you though, they aren't cheap new. I bought two of mine for less than $10 at a flea market and the other was new that I got as a gift.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Biscuit Joiner posted:

If you you were wondering about the pan, I think that is an old Lodge from between 1940 and 1950. The three notches in the heat ring say it's a Lodge and they put their name on them before 1940 and from 1987 to present. After 1950 it would have an "SK" before the 8 indicating that it was a skillet. After 1960 (when a lot of imported cast iron started coming in) it would have "Made in USA" on it as well.

Wow, thanks! I actually was, I was having trouble finding the markings on cast iron sites.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

This pan has been getting a good bunch of hype from various cooking websites, but I don't know how I feel about a $90 bet on one of them

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
It's cool that they want to make good cast iron, but why are they making it more expensive than the old good cast iron? You can find a griswold for $50-60 without looking very hard, and a lot less if you do spend some effort.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ma i married a tuna posted:

It's cool that they want to make good cast iron, but why are they making it more expensive than the old good cast iron? You can find a griswold for $50-60 without looking very hard, and a lot less if you do spend some effort.

Because it turns out you can't make a small run of new, high quality pans for $50-60, and you can't make a large run of new, high quality pans without a gigantic rear end-ton of money up front. A lot of people are willing to trade more money for the guarantee of having something new in their hand, versus the time investment of trolling eBay or the Salvation Army store.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I would love to buy one of those of the price comes down a bit. In the meantime I'll stick with my old 10" pan I got from the grocery store. Idk what brand it even is, but it's done me better than the lodge 12" I got later.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It claims it's lighter, so if it's some kind of cast iron alloy that functions the same but is half the weight I'd be willing to pay for that. I'm probably just misinterpreting their marketing though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably just did some experimenting to make the metal just thick enough for good heat retention, while not having lots of excess where it doesn't help (handle, sides of the pan to some extent.)

Thinner can be better, it helps improve the heat response, which is good for cooking too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Grandma's moving into assisted living, and Dad saved me her old Griswold 9 and 5 pans. In perfect shape, shiny and glorious. Made a cute little Apple Ginger Walnut pie in the 5 tonight to say 'Thanks, Nan!'

I must say, the 5 is probably my favorite size. Not too heavy, perfect 4-person pie size, suitable for doing eggs and omelettes for 1.

Edit: THE PANS ARE NOT HERS, WILL NEVER BE HERS, AND WILL NEVER BE ABUSED AGAIN. She took it, and threw it in the sink full of corningware, and filled it with water. Thank God my mom found it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 1, 2016

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I finally decided that I was going to back the Kickstarter for the Field Skillet, I was 9 minutes to late.

It ended at $1,633,361 ($30,000 goal) with 12,553 backers.

I wonder if this will cause other manufacturers to finish their pans better. I think I will email Lodge and suggest it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It shows there's a market for it and means there will probably be more in the future

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I decided to flip my gram's skillet over.

It's apparently an mid pattern 8" Wagner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Finally salvaged my great-grandma's Griswold cast iron, which I found in my parents' pantry. It's rusted, but I figure I can rehabilitate it. Plan on seasoning it soon and see how well it works.

Pan.

Lid.

Bottom of pan.

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 8, 2016