Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Avalerion posted:

I'm guessing that's due to the spren on Roshar actually shaping it and stuff.

At this point we have enough info that it's fair to say that each world shapes its own Cognitive Realm (shadesmar) in a way that reflects itself. Roshar is rocks and spheres (though why spheres Brandon's been cagey about--might be more to this than a simple convenient currency thing), Scadriel is mists, Nalthis' realm probably looks like a unicorn puked all over the place. Sel (elantris) is supposed to be rather ephemeral though, making the journey difficult.
Any cognitive entities (like spren) actively living there will make their mark too, but it's more the reflection of the physical realm and its inhabitants and the local Shardic Magic System that sets the 'ground rules' for how it works--or at least, that's what we've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Yarrbossa posted:

He's probably had the morbid thought as well (having completed WoT off Jordan's notes) that if he ever kicks the bucket prematurely, there's enough source material for someone else to step up and do the same for him. If that's in his wishes anyways.

He has actually already said if he died early and had the choice he would go with Brent Weeks to complete his works.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

mewse posted:

Welp there is an area on the map of shadesmar called "the expanse of vibrance"

Which version are you looking at? In the hardcover of Way of Kings that spot is covered by the big Shadesmar label.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Clinton1011 posted:

He has actually already said if he died early and had the choice he would go with Brent Weeks to complete his works.

Good to know! Now that you mention it I feel like I've heard that before somewhere (probably here). I really need to read his stuff. I've been putting it off for no good reason, but this is another reminder that I really should. I think I'll do it after finishing my current audiobook.

mewse
May 2, 2006

eszett engma posted:

Which version are you looking at? In the hardcover of Way of Kings that spot is covered by the big Shadesmar label.

Sorry I wasn't looking at a map I was going by coppermind wiki info which they got from Sanderson at a signing I guess

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eszett engma posted:

I think the artist showed off a non-labelled version at some point.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OAquinas posted:

At this point we have enough info that it's fair to say that each world shapes its own Cognitive Realm (shadesmar) in a way that reflects itself. Roshar is rocks and spheres (though why spheres Brandon's been cagey about--might be more to this than a simple convenient currency thing), Scadriel is mists, Nalthis' realm probably looks like a unicorn puked all over the place. Sel (elantris) is supposed to be rather ephemeral though, making the journey difficult.
Any cognitive entities (like spren) actively living there will make their mark too, but it's more the reflection of the physical realm and its inhabitants and the local Shardic Magic System that sets the 'ground rules' for how it works--or at least, that's what we've seen so far.

Aren't rocks and spheres what you get when gravity works in a vacuum, on a large scale?

Clinton1011 posted:

I really like that decision tbh, Weeks writes great super-saiyan fights as well.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Aren't rocks and spheres what you get when gravity works in a vacuum, on a large scale?

I really like that decision tbh, Weeks writes great super-saiyan fights as well.

Yeah, I thought Weeks' first stuff, the Assassin books, were super mediocre but super fun, but the Lightbringer books are great, so I could see him picking up the mantle like some sort of fantasy superpower highlander.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

coyo7e posted:

Basically. Any liquid tossed off with cohesion would tend towards a sphere, but irregular rocks would be the norm until you get to dwarf-planet scale where gravity forces a more rounded shape.

That said, not sure that has any relation to the nature of that world, let alone the cognitive aspect.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
But the cognitive realm seems to have normal gravity -- we see characters standing on the ground and falling into the sea there plenty of times. All the stuff your saying applies in a free fall environment, not with normal surface gravity.

I don't think we can extrapolate physical realm gravity to the cognitive anyway, since clearly from secret history we know that it's not a planet, but rather more of an infinite plane where the oceans connect to other planets' cognitive reasons. Also because surgebinding with gravity has basically no relation to how gravity works in our universe.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SavTargaryen posted:

Yeah, I thought Weeks' first stuff, the Assassin books, were super mediocre but super fun, but the Lightbringer books are great, so I could see him picking up the mantle like some sort of fantasy superpower highlander.

I really like Weeks stuff but yeah his first one was male power-fantasy wish-fulfillment kind of stuff but it worked out without feeling too trashy even though it really sort of is. I'm easy to please though. Lightbringer is much better about that, and I really like the light-based magic system in it so yeah even though they both got their pros and cons I think it could work.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just finished Hero of Ages and I'm impressed with how everything wrapped up neatly. Not entirely sure how I feel about the ending but having read Words of Radiance as well does this mean Sazed could potentially kill Odium since he has the power of two gods? Or has Odium "ate" the gods that he has killed? Now I need to read the rest of his works to see if there's any insight

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Just finished Hero of Ages and I'm impressed with how everything wrapped up neatly. Not entirely sure how I feel about the ending but having read Words of Radiance as well does this mean Sazed could potentially kill Odium since he has the power of two gods? Or has Odium "ate" the gods that he has killed? Now I need to read the rest of his works to see if there's any insight

Sazed is swole as gently caress, and the strongest guy around, but he also has two exactly opposing powers and paralyzed by indecision. Odium likes being the avatar of all hate, so he doesn't combine with other powers

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Odium essentially smashed the other shards into a million pieces.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah from what I understand, Odium killed Honor and Cultivation and they both are now "Splintered" (eg. Syl is an honorspren)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ Yes, but at the same time Odium has spren of his own, because that's what the evil looking red spren are that enable stormform and the spren that Dalinar sees in his lake flashback was an Odium spren that created a Thunderclast. Also spren are beings of the cognitive realm so it's likely all the shards on Rorshar have spren associated with them (and spren potentially not associated with shards) all through Shadesmar.

Tunicate posted:

Sazed is swole as gently caress, and the strongest guy around, but he also has two exactly opposing powers and paralyzed by indecision. Odium likes being the avatar of all hate, so he doesn't combine with other powers

Also Sazed still has problems he has to deal with, including Trell who is likely to turn out to be another shard, or worse, a power similar to a shard but not something connected to Adolsium. Though adding something of that nature to the Cosmere would be a tall order, even though it would potentially give a source for how/why Adolsium was shattered in to shards in the first place. Plus Ruin and Preservation made that world together, so there can't really be some ancient evil from before their time since that planet didn't exist before Ruin and Preservation acted.

When it comes to dealing with other shards I don't think Sazed would be paralyzed at all. If Odium wins his war and started wiping out worlds Sazed would move against him as soon as he could, and if Odium comes to his world Sazed is absolutely going to go at him at full power because Odium's existance-destroying spree would be in conflict with Harmony's existence and with how Ruin would talk about destruction being a part of life and all things needing to end so something else can happen I think even Ruin might object to just wiping out everything and having total oblivion (and Preservation would be against it because of the whole "destroy everything" aspect). Then again, we assume Odium is a single piece of the original shards and not the result of multiple shards like Harmony is. Considering Odium apparently shattered at least one shard and did so in what was a 2v1 at the least, he's extremely powerful if he's not the combination of multiple base shards already.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Has it been confirmed that Cultivation is splintered? Honor is dead, certainly, but Cultivation not necessarily?

Odium has the advantage in his war against the other shards in that the nature of his shard favours aggression. Other shards may be limited in their responses to him by their natures (eg. Preservation) which he can then exploit to destroy them. Also, in secret history it was implied that splintering a shard was not public knowledge among shardholders and many shard holders didn't know how to do it, and would instead just fight to a standstill.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

Has it been confirmed that Cultivation is splintered? Honor is dead, certainly, but Cultivation not necessarily?

Odium has the advantage in his war against the other shards in that the nature of his shard favours aggression. Other shards may be limited in their responses to him by their natures (eg. Preservation) which he can then exploit to destroy them. Also, in secret history it was implied that splintering a shard was not public knowledge among shardholders and many shard holders didn't know how to do it, and would instead just fight to a standstill.

I've been assuming that's the case. My guess is that honor sacrificed himself in order to protect the rest of the shards, because obviously. There's no reason to think cultivation was dragged into that whole mess.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Also Sazed still has problems he has to deal with, including Trell who is likely to turn out to be another shard, or worse, a power similar to a shard but not something connected to Adolsium. Though adding something of that nature to the Cosmere would be a tall order, even though it would potentially give a source for how/why Adolsium was shattered in to shards in the first place. Plus Ruin and Preservation made that world together, so there can't really be some ancient evil from before their time since that planet didn't exist before Ruin and Preservation acted.

I'm pretty sure Sanderson confirmed that Trell was the Autonomy shard.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally got around to reading The Emperor's Soul. It felt like standard Sanderson fare (which, luckily, means really good) until the end, when it became incredible. I mean, it was legitimately emotionally moving. My favorite work of his next to The Way of Kings.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I don't know if it is widely accepted, but I think Emperor's Soul is the best thing he's ever written by a wide margin.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Emperors Soul and Perfect State are marvelous and have become my go to "You like reading fantasy? Read these and see if he's to your taste!" when recommending Brandon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least in this thread, Emperor's Soul is often recommended as his best Cosmere book.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I think there's examples of writing in his other recent books that are just as good, but ES is a neater, tighter package than anything else he's done. I think this is at least partly due to the shorter format precluding issues that crop up in his longer works (pacing issues, getting lost up the rear end of whichever magic system he's using to carry pieces of the plot along, taking too long to set up the ending avalanche for every single character, etc.).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Regarding shards the holder can be killed, but the power itself cannot be destroyed (at least, not by anything seen thus far). Odium won't absorb them because that would fundamentally change him--he won't be 100% perfect hate/rage all the time if he took on the additional power. So he kills the holder, and shatters/splinters the shard into a bunch of small pieces. This causes the power to manifest diffusely (spren, misc other phenomena) and while it's probably reversible it's likely not easy and the knowledge how may be restricted to Yolen (where the shard bearers all originate from).
Interestingly, shards can also splinter voluntarily. The Returned in Warbreaker are splinters. Honor blades may also be an example of this--basically it's the shard divesting a small fraction of its power to create something else.

That's another reason why Odium has a 1v1 (or 2v1) advantage--From what we've seen so far 'resident' shards seem to typically have a not-insubstancial amount of their power tied up into their world. Opium has no such limitations (normally...not sure what changed on Roshar).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing that made me :rolleyes: in ES was the video game fight scene against the skeletal dudes that had zero tension. It was just like, dude, things were going so well :geno:

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Regarding shards the holder can be killed, but the power itself cannot be destroyed (at least, not by anything seen thus far). Odium won't absorb them because that would fundamentally change him--he won't be 100% perfect hate/rage all the time if he took on the additional power. So he kills the holder, and shatters/splinters the shard into a bunch of small pieces. This causes the power to manifest diffusely (spren, misc other phenomena) and while it's probably reversible it's likely not easy and the knowledge how may be restricted to Yolen (where the shard bearers all originate from).
Interestingly, shards can also splinter voluntarily. The Returned in Warbreaker are splinters. Honor blades may also be an example of this--basically it's the shard divesting a small fraction of its power to create something else.

That's another reason why Odium has a 1v1 (or 2v1) advantage--From what we've seen so far 'resident' shards seem to typically have a not-insubstancial amount of their power tied up into their world. Opium has no such limitations (normally...not sure what changed on Roshar).

The shard in warbreaker was splintered by Odium, I thought. Or am I confusing it with the Elantris shards?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lobsterpillar posted:

The shard in warbreaker was splintered by Odium, I thought. Or am I confusing it with the Elantris shards?

You are.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

OAquinas posted:

More shard talk
Sanderson has said that Rayse(Odium) is afraid of Sazed(Harmony), but that Sazed has difficulty acting because of the nature of his shards. Trell is supposedly Autonomy or perhaps that is just the name of the religion, but the original holder was Bavadin. Hoid opposes both Odium and Autonomy. In Way of Kings, there is a letter epigraph supposedly written by Hoid "You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin"

On the planet Sel (Elantris, Emperors Soul), Sanderson stated that Shadesmar is "difficult" due to "the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power" after Rayse splintered the two shards there. Further he states:
"Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So White Sand is neat, does have pretty much the same flaws as Elantris though, if you didn't mind those too much go ask Brandon for a copy.

All of these short stories and one offs of him just leave me wanting more though. Even something like Shadows or Sixt of dusk hint at so much, with another writer you could assume it's just background fluff to make it seem interesting but in Sanderson's case he probably has like 12 pages worth of notes about bird magic alone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Where is that covered? I just recently read Elantris and I sure as hell don't recall that ever coming up unless the event that caused the chasm was when it occurred.

The Gardenator posted:

More shard talk
Sanderson has said that Rayse(Odium) is afraid of Sazed(Harmony), but that Sazed has difficulty acting because of the nature of his shards. Trell is supposedly Autonomy or perhaps that is just the name of the religion, but the original holder was Bavadin. Hoid opposes both Odium and Autonomy. In Way of Kings, there is a letter epigraph supposedly written by Hoid "You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin"

On the planet Sel (Elantris, Emperors Soul), Sanderson stated that Shadesmar is "difficult" due to "the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power" after Rayse splintered the two shards there. Further he states:
"Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial."

We also know, due to that Mistborn secrets book that Hoid is directly involved with the original shardbearers and Preservation even mentions Hoid by his actual(?) name when Kelsier mentions his encounter with Hoid. It also reinforces that Hoid has been around for all of this since the start and is ageless (whether due to Breath or other means) among other things. He didn't try to hang around and take Preservation's powers either so he's either content trying to maneuver empowered people or he's attempting to form shard-like power through other means.

Since we already know that even multiple powers on the same world can have a compounding effect, a person with powers from multiple worlds is going to have some next-level demigod abilities. Look at how powerful the Lord Ruler was and he was only using two of Scadrial's powers. If we put Hoid at his weakest possibly level that still leaves him equal to a full powered Mistborn with at least enough Breath for Perfect Pitch as well as a potential immunity to shardblades and probably other powers I'm forgetting. He's almost certainly going to try to get his hands on an Honorblade and he knows how both Feruchemy and Hemalurgy work so if he really wanted to he could outright steal any powers he doesn't have, even if he'd have to limit himself to one at a time to avoid Harmony interfering. If Harmonium grants Feruchemy he'll just bide his time until he can grab that as well.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Evil Fluffy posted:

Since we already know that even multiple powers on the same world can have a compounding effect, a person with powers from multiple worlds is going to have some next-level demigod abilities. Look at how powerful the Lord Ruler was and he was only using two of Scadrial's powers. If we put Hoid at his weakest possibly level that still leaves him equal to a full powered Mistborn with at least enough Breath for Perfect Pitch as well as a potential immunity to shardblades and probably other powers I'm forgetting. He's almost certainly going to try to get his hands on an Honorblade and he knows how both Feruchemy and Hemalurgy work so if he really wanted to he could outright steal any powers he doesn't have, even if he'd have to limit himself to one at a time to avoid Harmony interfering. If Harmonium grants Feruchemy he'll just bide his time until he can grab that as well.

The 17th Shard already lists Hoid as having command of Feruchemy!

Honestly, I want the big twist with him to be that he's rebuilding "God" because forcing all the shards back together is impossible, and only a true divinity could settle down all the strife being caused by the fragments of a divinity.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 2, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thyrork posted:

The 17th Shard already lists Hoid as having command of Feruchemy!

Honestly, I want the big twist with him to be that he's rebuilding "God" because forcing all the shards back together is impossible, and only a true divinity could settle down all the strife being caused by the fragments of a divinity.

If you're gonna quote a spoiler, please keep it hidden.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Evil Fluffy posted:

Where is that covered? I just recently read Elantris and I sure as hell don't recall that ever coming up unless the event that caused the chasm was when it occurred.

I'm phone posting so no link, but sanderson has stated that the two shards on Sel (elantris) were shattered well before the beginning of the book.

There's some other info regarding Sel in my earlier post. What I find interesting about Sel is the differnet magic systems are based on (identity?) geography. If you are born in Elantris, you would have a very hard time making soul stamps.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

flosofl posted:

If you're gonna quote a spoiler, please keep it hidden.

Why the hell didn't that work? :argh: Sorry pal.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Finished Calamity and Bands of Mourning recently. Both gave me a vibe of Sanderson owning critiques of his work. For example, in Calamity someone says to David essentially, "You have brilliant ideas sometimes, but your execution is crap." He also lampshaded his weird curses and contrasted it with real world slang.

In Bands, it felt like he was pushing his Mormonism limits by the inclusion of alcohol, making fun of soda (and having a character down a bunch of it), having risqué interactions between characters including some talk of body parts and sex, cursing, and a few other things so it wasn't the squeaky clean comfort zone he's had in the past.

I love how Steris has grown as a person, though I agree it seemed to come at the cost of Marasi. I also liked the interaction of Wax and Harmony post-death and why Harmony did what he did to Wax, and how Wax agreed but still thought it was bullshit. MeLaan was great as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DarkHorse posted:

Finished Calamity and Bands of Mourning recently. Both gave me a vibe of Sanderson owning critiques of his work. For example, in Calamity someone says to David essentially, "You have brilliant ideas sometimes, but your execution is crap." He also lampshaded his weird curses and contrasted it with real world slang.

In Bands, it felt like he was pushing his Mormonism limits by the inclusion of alcohol, making fun of soda (and having a character down a bunch of it), having risqué interactions between characters including some talk of body parts and sex, cursing, and a few other things so it wasn't the squeaky clean comfort zone he's had in the past.

Yeah I agree. Seemed like he's poking fun at himself several times.

Bands was really good and a nice surprise. The sex scene with transgendered immortal thing was pretty funny, especially later when everyone is looking way Wayne as MeLaan is shifting into a guy and hes just like "What are you staring at??? I dress up as a girl all the time makes perfect sense to me that someone would dress up as a guy!". Not something I expected to see coming from Sanderson but I think that made it all the more amusing.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I also laughed at the part in Shadows of Self where Wax calls the kandra sections of the Mistborn books the Historica "kind of dull."

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i'm reading mistborn series 2 and wayne is really funny

i also like in book 2 where wax casually refers to his coachman "hoid" and i just kinda glared at the page a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Sanderson strikes me as a good enough author to think "What would this character say" regardless of his personal feelings, rather than "what should I make the character say to prove to my fans I'm not a stick in the mud". Like Wayne posing a question of incest. I didn't see it as Sanderson trying to make his books edgier or to push his own personal boundaries or the expectations of fans so much as, yeah, that's completely something Wayne would say.

Not saying he's not also having a joke at his own expense, though, just that I think his "character's voice" comes first.