Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cable posted:

My company gave me an iPhone 6 for work-related stuff. The thing is that I keep receiving notifications for new e-mail or skype messages while I'm at work in front of my PC, so I wanted to ask: is there a way of "blocking" notifications for specific apps within a specific time interval? (i.e. when i'm working, I would like to receive these when I'm not in the office).

This would be nice. I turned off notifications for my work e-mail on my phone as I was tired of my battery draining a bit because of the vibe/screen lighting up for the 100 emails a day while I'm in the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyone having any issues with Safari? Specifically links in Google search don't work and cause safari to lock up and crash.

Edit: not just google links. Seems like lots off hyperlinks are broken. Tapping them highlights it but nothing happens, holding down as to get an open dialogue crashes safari. 3D Touch attempt crashes safari too.

Do you have this app installed? http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/03/poorly-behaved-app-causing-crashes-and-link-problems-for-some-ios-9-x-users/

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Cable posted:

My company gave me an iPhone 6 for work-related stuff. The thing is that I keep receiving notifications for new e-mail or skype messages while I'm at work in front of my PC, so I wanted to ask: is there a way of "blocking" notifications for specific apps within a specific time interval? (i.e. when i'm working, I would like to receive these when I'm not in the office).

On my work phone I turned off vibration for email/calendar alerts but kept sound. When at work I turn the phone to silent mode - stops me noticing incoming mail but the phone still vibrates if someone rings. When I'm out the office I turn the phone back to loud and I'm notified of email by the noise. Works quite well - I just keep the phone face down in the office so I don't see it light up all day.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My dudes who've jumped from android to iOS and used the "move to iOS" app what did it not catch when you did the migration? Just pre'd the new SE and jumping ship for a generation (want dat camera and loved the 5\5s size) and need to know what i'm missing.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

incoherent posted:

My dudes who've jumped from android to iOS and used the "move to iOS" app what did it not catch when you did the migration? Just pre'd the new SE and jumping ship for a generation (want dat camera and loved the 5\5s size) and need to know what i'm missing.

The only thing I ran into was that when the app copies your pictures, they'll all have the same date (the date of the transfer). It's annoying but not the end of the world or anything.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Is the iPhone 6 prone to terrible antenna's coming with it? My girlfriend picked it up last month and it's had weak connections to both the WiFi in her house (even sitting right beside the router) and the cell service (taking forever to connect to Spotify, texts not being received until much later (tested this by sending a text and it didn't arrive for 20 minutes - we even had our phone right beside each others and I took a pic with her sisters showing nothing sent)).

We took it to Apple and the guy was hemming and hawing that it could be anything but I made sure to eliminate whatever I could: case / no case, environment (I bought a WiFi range extender, not for this, but to help in general and it still wasn't good), resetting the phone. Her 5 never had these issues nor does my 5S at her house. We are on different carriers but I messaged my friend and he wasn't having issues with his.

Unsure where to go with this right now - I was reading about others having issues with their 6 and poor reception. I might first try getting a new SIM but if it's loving up WiFi that won't fix it.

Do you mean the 6 or 6S? I upgraded from a 5 to a 6S last year and while wifi performs the same, my cell reception is awful at home now - I have to use Skype for most phone calls (and pay extra for the credit) rather than using the cellular connection in the phone. I've tried resetting network settings, wiping the phone and setting up without a restore, etc etc, no dice.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Go back and make sure apple swaps the phone.

This reply obviously wasn't to me, but I had the phone replaced with a new handset within a week of purchase and both had the same issue.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Froist posted:

Do you mean the 6 or 6S? I upgraded from a 5 to a 6S last year and while wifi performs the same, my cell reception is awful at home now - I have to use Skype for most phone calls (and pay extra for the credit) rather than using the cellular connection in the phone. I've tried resetting network settings, wiping the phone and setting up without a restore, etc etc, no dice.

Yeah the cell reception on the 6s is mediocre at best. The Nexus 5x was much better. I guess it's the bane of all metal phones.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Froist posted:

This reply obviously wasn't to me, but I had the phone replaced with a new handset within a week of purchase and both had the same issue.

Does your carrier support wifi calling? That at least wouldn't cost you extra money for Skype credit.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Are any of the "lens accessories" worth a poo poo? I was thinking about getting a set just for screwing around since I take 20x more photos on my phone than I do on my actual camera.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Call of Cholula posted:

Are any of the "lens accessories" worth a poo poo? I was thinking about getting a set just for screwing around since I take 20x more photos on my phone than I do on my actual camera.

The olloclip is the only one that has even remotely "decent" corner performance that doesn't look like poo poo and it fits great as long as you aren't using a case. The teleconverter is super solid on there too.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

nerdrum posted:

The olloclip is the only one that has even remotely "decent" corner performance that doesn't look like poo poo and it fits great as long as you aren't using a case. The teleconverter is super solid on there too.

Awesome - that's what I was looking at - thanks!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Good lord the Podcasts app is unfinished hot poo poo.

(sorry for the huge webm - be sure to scroll down to the tab bar):
http://webmshare.com/play/8Gr8Z

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

101 posted:

They realised Midnight Blue was the way forward

Froist posted:

Have they launched any new cases specifically for the iPhone SE? Saddle Brown is the pinnacle of case technology and only became available with the 6S.

We've got two Official Apple cases here,

Apple iPhone 5SE Case

I just got my case today in black. The quality of the leather is reasonable and while I minor complaint I don't particularly care for the Apple logo on the leather.

We'll see how it holds up over time.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Question - I currently have a 5S on AT&T and I would like to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to get the SE or 6S. The better front facing camera and 3D Touch don't interest me too much - the deciding factor for me is RF performance and what will be the best going forward on AT&T's LTE network.

Of course the saddle brown leather case is mandatory for either one...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

lord funk posted:

Good lord the Podcasts app is unfinished hot poo poo.

(sorry for the huge webm - be sure to scroll down to the tab bar):
http://webmshare.com/play/8Gr8Z

You should use Overcast, the orange podcast app which contrasts nicely with the Midnight Blue case. Heck, it's free now. (Or Pocket Casts if you dislike Marco Arment.)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nope.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bigtom posted:

Question - I currently have a 5S on AT&T and I would like to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to get the SE or 6S. The better front facing camera and 3D Touch don't interest me too much - the deciding factor for me is RF performance and what will be the best going forward on AT&T's LTE network.

I'd go play with a 6 or 6S to get a feel for the form factor, since it might be a big departure from the 5S for you. For me, one-handed usage suffered quite a bit. Unless you're vying for a larger screen, the SE seems like a no brainer, especially since it's so much cheaper. Can't comment on radios -- do the 6S and SE have the same parts there?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HEY NONG MAN posted:

As someone with a 6s+ who is constantly annoyed with how hard it is to use one-handed, I only just now realize how much worse it would be if I was a righty.

I chose the 6S+ over the 6S for a true 1080p screen and OIS.

ethanol posted:

My roommate bought a 6 because the 6s was too expensive and "they're the same" so there you go

People like those are baffling. Until the SE, I have found no good reason to save $100 by opting to choose the last-gen iPhone, especially when I can recoup the extra upfront cost when I sell it used later. Just the extra 1GB RAM alone for the 6S is worth the extra price of admission. Same goes for TouchID (5S vs 5/5C).

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Is the iPhone 6 prone to terrible antenna's coming with it?

Anecdotal evidence:

I had my 6 swapped out after similar behavior.

Mine would stop receiving any data whatsoever: cellular calls, SMS texts, iMessages, notifications over wifi, etc

I would have to toggle airplane mode off an on several times a day for the antennas to receive anything.

I did all the typical things like full factory restore [not from a backup], had Apple customer service run full diagnostics that showed nothing, and the problem still persisted.

As I said, a swap for another 6 made the problem go away.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

iPhone 6 is an OK size, would be better if it was a different shape/easier to hold.

the SE is tempting to me if the 7 doesnt get OIS/good camera upgrades over the 6 or the physical design of the 7 is lacking. the 5 copped a lot of flak at the start but its actually a pretty nice looking phone (and isnt as loving slippery either)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's anything to the rumors that Apple will skip a major iPhone release this year and drop the 7 next year.

I feel like the press would lose their minds if September came and went without a new iPhone.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Jealous Cow posted:

I wonder if there's anything to the rumors that Apple will skip a major iPhone release this year and drop the 7 next year.

I feel like the press would lose their minds if September came and went without a new iPhone.

This isn't going to happen.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Laserface posted:

iPhone 6 is an OK size, would be better if it was a different shape/easier to hold.

the SE is tempting to me if the 7 doesnt get OIS/good camera upgrades over the 6 or the physical design of the 7 is lacking. the 5 copped a lot of flak at the start but its actually a pretty nice looking phone (and isnt as loving slippery either)

Dunno about you, but the thick chambered right angles of the 5 definitely feels much better than almost finished slippery soap bar called 6.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What about the mouthfeel?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bigtom posted:

The AT&T 6S/+ has an LTE band that the SE doesn't, but it also seems to be in extremely limited rollout, so it might not matter at all.

Palladium posted:

I chose the 6S+ over the 6S for a true 1080p screen
Please list things where 1080p makes a difference over 720p especially given that they are two different screen sizes anyway.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Please list things where 1080p makes a difference over 720p especially given that they are two different screen sizes anyway.

I don't understand the attitude on these forums that causes people to go "EXPLAIN YOURSELF, SIR" when someone voices a personal preference. They wanted a 1080p display and the 6+/6S+ is the only iPhone that offers it. Isn't that enough? Why do they need to justify themselves to you?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Weedle posted:

I don't understand the attitude on these forums that causes people to go "EXPLAIN YOURSELF, SIR" when someone voices a personal preference. They wanted a 1080p display and the 6+/6S+ is the only iPhone that offers it. Isn't that enough? Why do they need to justify themselves to you?

"Why should they justify their preference for an iPhone feature in the iPhone thread to you? You should justify your posting habits in the iPhone thread!"

It's a thread for discussion of the iPhone. That feature is more of a spec-nerd jerking feature than one that impacts usage in any way as both are more than the human eye can discern at that size, unless they're using google cardboard or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

720p screen on the iPhone 6s+ aka the best iPhone would look pretty bad is a good reason :smug:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
People should buy the iPhone that they want, to fulfil their personal needs.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, for some reason I thought the iPhone had been 1080p since like the 4s. I guess that's why they pushed the "retina" terminology so hard. How does that work for AirPlayed content?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jeherrin posted:

People should buy the iPhone that they want, to fulfil their personal needs.

You're wrong and a terrible person. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You are pissing on Steve Jobs' grave if you don't buy the correct phone. He told us the perfect screen size and he's the best designer in the history of the world which means none of us have any right to question it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

You are pissing on Steve Jobs' grave if you don't buy the correct phone. He told us the perfect screen size and he's the best designer in the history of the world which means none of us have any right to question it.
Steve had tiny hands like Trump but so do I so iPhone SE form factor 4 lyfe!

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I have large hands and long fingers, but the SE form factor is the best because I wrap my hand all the way around my phone and type using both my pinky and thumb.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Need 1080p iphone 6S+ for slot in VR.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

xzzy posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

Steve had tiny hands like Trump but so do I so iPhone SE form factor 4 lyfe!

Actually the 5 came out a year after he died. Steve only approved of the 3.5" form factor.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

You should use Overcast, the orange podcast app which contrasts nicely with the Midnight Blue case. Heck, it's free now. (Or Pocket Casts if you dislike Marco Arment.)

I just recently tried Overcast, and it was great, except that it doesn't mark a podcast as played unless you played it alllll the way to the end. I usually cut it off right when the ads at the end start playing, so none of mine get marked as played. And sometimes it'll download some podcasts, but mark them as played before I've played them. I couldn't figure that one out.

However, I did love the variable settings per podcast though. Some have ads that are 30s and some are 7-10s, so the variable skip settings were awesome.

I went back to stock Podcasts though due to the played issues.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Weedle posted:

Please justify this attitude, sir.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

This isn't going to happen.

Especially after launching the iPhone Upgrade Program.

When people are contracted for the privilege of getting a new phone every year, you can be drat sure there will be a new phone every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Steve Jobs is god and knew best.