Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

Wow, holy poo poo. I have explained that term incorrectly to many people over the last several years, somehow having come to believe it applied broadly to basically everything instead of computer-generated poo poo. I frequently wake up from dreams with the same sort of unease associated with the actual phenomenon so I guess I just assumed many people have the same thing, at least occasionally.

I guess the schadenfreude is me, and I refuse to give it up so one of you is going to have to kill me in order to get it, next time you gently caress something up. I'll be waiting.

Uncanny valley refers to any human imagery that is quite realistic, but still somehow off. It's things like robots, puppets or CG.
The valley is actually an extreme dip in a chart of realism and empathic reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some personal schadenfreude!

We had a younger guy at work (he joined the office in 2011 at 20 when most of the employees were senior citizens or approaching it) who was notorious for being just plain awful at everything he did. His terminally ill dad was friends with the owner/CEO, so he always managed to grovel his way out of any trouble he got into and even continue getting pay raises and more important jobs despite constantly loving up. One of his most infamous incidents was accidentally transposing two digits on an email blast and replacing our company's 1-800 number with a sex line, which we didn't discover until a customer called and told us. We're still dealing with the fallout of him constantly cutting deals and making up pricing for customers on the spot without permission to try and get business. We also found out that he spent most of work browsing lovely manga online and repeatedly posting about work on Tumblr, including selfies where he admitted to accidentally peeing on a toilet seat or the floor while taking them and getting trashed at other companies' parties at trade shows....and he still groveled and apologized his way out of getting fired.

He finally got laid off last week, after he took days off at an incredibly inopportune time, crashed his car in Texas while on a band road trip (he claims to have been really tired but we're pretty sure he was DUI and he admitted to crying his way out when the cops showed up), and refused to come back to work due to unspecified "illness" until he missed a week straight. But that's not the schadenfreude.

The schadenfreude is that he started bugging the accountant for his paycheck yesterday and making veiled threats and jabs against the company for not giving him money before all the calculations on his commissions were done. So she decided to pay for a full background check on him and did some Googling of his name. I won't post the news article we found because it'll link back to my company too easily with a cursory Google search of the names involved, but we discovered that in 2010 at the age of 19 he was caught in a prostitution sting in Kissimmee. A background check revealed that he was caught in two prostitution stings in a short time span and had a long rap sheet of more minor offenses like drug and alcohol violations, bad driving, and noise ordinance violations.

So we've gathered all of the information and as soon as our annual meeting is done this week, we're going to the people still trying to defend his behavior and showing them his rap sheet and telling him that the whole office knows about that and his creepy Tumblr posts.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Would this count as schadenfreude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVOwym4Wh20

COD player makes a video explaining his side of the story about nude pics he sent to a minor. His argument is that the girl, who is 12 years old, lied about her age.

She said she was 14. Naturally, the youtube comments support him, ignoring the fact that 14 years of age is well below the age of consent.

The amount of responsibility shifting he does is incredible.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

COD player makes a video explaining his side of the story about nude pics he sent to a minor. His argument is that the girl, who is 12 years old, lied about her age.

She said she was 14. Naturally, the youtube comments support him, ignoring the fact that 14 years of age is well below the age of consent.

Yup, that is totally schaudenfreude

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

chitoryu12 posted:

So we've gathered all of the information and as soon as our annual meeting is done this week, we're going to the people still trying to defend his behavior and showing them his rap sheet and telling him that the whole office knows about that and his creepy Tumblr posts.

And now everyone at the company is going to get background checked!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I hate having to do research. No idea what state(s) they're in, but apparently he was 17 while she was fake 14 (12) and 19 when she was fake 16 (14) for the second time. They both would need to go to juvenile court since they both committed crimes, possession and distribution. The severity of the punishment would be dependent on state law and the judge's mood.

Right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chitoryu12 posted:

We had a younger guy at work (he joined the office in 2011 at 20 when most of the employees were senior citizens or approaching it) who was notorious for being just plain awful at everything he did. His terminally ill dad was friends with the owner/CEO, so he always managed to grovel his way out of any trouble he got into and even continue getting pay raises and more important jobs despite constantly loving up. One of his most infamous incidents was accidentally transposing two digits on an email blast and replacing our company's 1-800 number with a sex line, which we didn't discover until a customer called and told us. We're still dealing with the fallout of him constantly cutting deals and making up pricing for customers on the spot without permission to try and get business. We also found out that he spent most of work browsing lovely manga online and repeatedly posting about work on Tumblr, including selfies where he admitted to accidentally peeing on a toilet seat or the floor while taking them and getting trashed at other companies' parties at trade shows....and he still groveled and apologized his way out of getting fired.

He finally got laid off last week, after he took days off at an incredibly inopportune time, crashed his car in Texas while on a band road trip (he claims to have been really tired but we're pretty sure he was DUI and he admitted to crying his way out when the cops showed up), and refused to come back to work due to unspecified "illness" until he missed a week straight. But that's not the schadenfreude.

The schadenfreude is that he started bugging the accountant for his paycheck yesterday and making veiled threats and jabs against the company for not giving him money before all the calculations on his commissions were done. So she decided to pay for a full background check on him and did some Googling of his name. I won't post the news article we found because it'll link back to my company too easily with a cursory Google search of the names involved, but we discovered that in 2010 at the age of 19 he was caught in a prostitution sting in Kissimmee. A background check revealed that he was caught in two prostitution stings in a short time span and had a long rap sheet of more minor offenses like drug and alcohol violations, bad driving, and noise ordinance violations.

What kind of company doesn't do cursory background checks anymore?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

oldpainless posted:

What kind of company doesn't do cursory background checks anymore?

The kind where most of the employees are senior citizens and the new hire's dad is a personal friend of the owner/CEO.

But like Eponine said, I guess that'll be changing now!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

So you're saying you guys are hiring? I'm assuming you're not in Chicago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Selecting him for layoff based on poor performance sounds like a questionable decision, as does accounting (not HR/legal?) ordering up a background check and sharing the results widely, but the guy does sound like a jerk.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Speaking of background checks ...

We had a disgruntled employee who ran background checks on everyone in the office (only about 12 of us) and then emailed the results to everyone. Normal stuff, nothing exciting (a couple DUI, one guy had a minor drug thing in the mid 90s) but the Schad comes from when he came into the office screaming about money we owed him and tried to physically attack the owner. Got the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of dudes and held in a choke hold until the cops came. Managed to piss himself in the process.

The cops thought that was hilarious (and so did everyone else).

it was the owner's son

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Speaking of background checks ...

We had a disgruntled employee who ran background checks on everyone in the office (only about 12 of us) and then emailed the results to everyone. Normal stuff, nothing exciting (a couple DUI, one guy had a minor drug thing in the mid 90s) but the Schad comes from when he came into the office screaming about money we owed him and tried to physically attack the owner. Got the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of dudes and held in a choke hold until the cops came. Managed to piss himself in the process.

The cops thought that was hilarious (and so did everyone else).

it was the owner's son

Can't help but feel like you skipped a bit in the middle there.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

A worrying amount of support in the comments.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaduEUGI5Bw

Puddle of Mudd (I know, I can't believe they're still around either) abandons their lead singer on stage, so he starts on some rant. Unfortunately I can't find a video of them actually leaving the stage. Also, some annoying rear end in a top hat just keeps yelling "gently caress you" so it's hard to hear what the singer is saying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Part of me always feels sorry for those "one hit wonder" bands that keep trying to make a career and no one cares. But every single one I see turn out to be such massive pieces of poo poo, that any sympathy quickly evaporates.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Scarf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaduEUGI5Bw

Puddle of Mudd (I know, I can't believe they're still around either) abandons their lead singer on stage, so he starts on some rant. Unfortunately I can't find a video of them actually leaving the stage. Also, some annoying rear end in a top hat just keeps yelling "gently caress you" so it's hard to hear what the singer is saying.

I checked Wikipedia to see if there was an explanation for what happened. Apparently this isn't new.

quote:

Scantlin has had many run-ins with the law over the years, including arrests for several of his controversial acts. In 2002, he and his then fiance actress Michelle Rubin were both arrested for allegations of domestic violence after witnesses reported seeing the couple, on their way to a video shoot, fighting on the side of Highway 126 in Piru, California. Several witnesses reported seeing Scantlin forcing Rubin into a Jeep Cherokee driven by an unknown third person. Sheriff's deputies and California Highway Patrol officers stopped the Jeep shortly thereafter and arrested the couple. Scantlin and Rubin were both booked at the Ventura County jail and were released after posting $20,000 bail each. The reason for the argument remains unknown.[6]

During a 2004 show at the Headliners night club in Toledo, Ohio, Scantlin took the stage with his band, but after only four songs admitted to the audience that he was too intoxicated to continue. Frustrated, his bandmates walked off the set, leaving Scantlin by himself on stage. He remained on stage for another 30 minutes, insulting the crowd and singing random songs that seemed to be made up as he went along. Objects were then thrown back and forth between Scantlin and the crowd before he walked off the stage, where he was subsequently arrested by the Toledo Police Department for disorderly conduct while intoxicated. On the way to his booking, additional charges were brought after he repeatedly spat on the windows in the back of the police cruiser he was being transported in. He was released on a $150 cash bond. He said he would never play in Toledo again because he was arrested for "nothing". [7]

Late in 2007, Scantlin got himself into trouble when he was banned from Graceland for swimming in an off limits pool while touring the facilities.[8][9][10][11][12][13][14]

In 2012, Scantlin found himself in trouble again when he failed to pay nearly $45,000 in federal taxes in 2009, on top of a $17,000 tab for state taxes.[15]

On September 4, 2012, Scantlin was arrested while traveling on a cross country flight from Boston to Los Angeles because he was intoxicated. The airplane had to make an emergency landing in Austin, Texas. He was charged with public intoxication.[16][17]

In May 2013, Scantlin was arrested on domestic violence charges after he apparently dragged his ex-wife and then pulled her by the arm or the shirt.[18]

On April 16, 2014, Scantlin had an on-stage meltdown during a show at Trees Dallas, in which he threw a microphone and beer into the audience, as well as appearing to threaten and attempt to physically attack members of the audience. He also received criticism as he appeared to be lip-syncing during the performance.[19]

On January 16, 2015, Scantlin was arrested at Denver International Airport for riding on the baggage carousel and ending up in the restricted area.[20]

During a live performance on April 2, 2015, Scantlin had a meltdown, smashing his guitar, headphones and part of the drummer's kit.[21]

On April 15, 2015, Scantlin was arrested and charged for disorderly conduct at the Mitchell International Airport in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.[22]

On June 20, 2015, Scantlin and his band were booed off stage in Versailles, Ohio, while performing at BMI Indoor Speedway, a small indoor go-cart track in rural Western Ohio. Audience members noted he was extremely intoxicated, sat down often, and was lip-syncing. The official Puddle of Mudd Facebook page was deleted soon after.[23]

On July 26, 2015, Scantlin was arrested in the early morning hours after leading Renville County (MN) sheriff deputies on a high-speed chase in excess of 100 mph. Scantlin is currently facing a felony charge of fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle and two gross misdemeanors of driving under the influence of alcohol.[24]

On August 5, 2015, less than one month removed from his last arrest, Scantlin was arrested in Sturgis, South Dakota for driving under the influence.[25]

On December 26, 2015, he was arrested for drugs. [26]

On January 10, 2016, he tried to go home, to the house he lost in foreclosure last year, and got arrested for destroying property in the residence.[27]

On January 30, 2016, during a Puddle of Mudd show in Marietta, Ohio, Scantlin interrupted the song to accuse an audience member of stealing his house, before leaving the stage. The venue subsequently apologized for the incident on Facebook and offered to issue a ticket to any upcoming show of their choice to anyone who had attended the Puddle of Mudd concert that evening.[28]

On March 22, 2016, Wes Scantlin was abandoned on stage by his bandmates after yet another drunken rant during a concert in Doncaster, UK.[29]

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Gorilla Salad posted:

Part of me always feels sorry for those "one hit wonder" bands that keep trying to make a career and no one cares. But every single one I see turn out to be such massive pieces of poo poo, that any sympathy quickly evaporates.

The smaller the band, the sadder it is. A friend of mine saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! (indie flavor of the week for a minute in the mid 00s) at a teeny art gallery show last year, and she ended up walking out, along with just about everyone there. The lead singer is apparently bitter as hell that his band never really went anywhere, and gave a deliberately awful, bored performance in between whining about how small the venue was and ranting about other bands that came out around the same time but actually made it. Once he started mocking the audience, just about everyone relocated to the bar next door.

"By the Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" is a pretty good song, though.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Mar 29, 2016

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

china bot posted:

Some son-of-a-slumlord frat boy at the University of Michigan called an Uber driver "a little human being" on camera, and it is playing out as expected

See: http://www.michiganreview.com/5820-2/

or go to jakecroman.com, which I can't get to hyperlink properly

Professor of Cats posted:

Unfortunately, I feel like the schaudenfraude will be on us soon. I just have a feeling that his daddy will throw more money at this scenario and all will be forgotten.

Money gets you into the university, but it doesn't keep you there. The University already has the money from classes, but it doesn't need anybody harming it's reputation, especially when you have some shitling talking about 'minimum wage' people. He'll get the same treatment as that kid that threw the temper tantrum in that cafeteria a few months back: kicked out unceremoniously and forgotten about, free to go to another college.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

The smaller the band, the sadder it is. A friend of mine saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! (indie flavor of the week for a minute in the mid 00s) at a teeny art gallery show last year, and she ended up walking out, along with just about everyone there. The lead singer is apparently bitter as hell that his band never really went anywhere, and gave a deliberately awful, bored performance in between whining about how small the venue was and ranting about other bands that came out around the same time but actually made it. Once he started mocking the audience, just about everyone relocated to the bar next door.

The worst thing that can happen to a band is a ton of people liking their music.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Warrant came to my piss small hometown (about 16,000 people at that time) about 10ish years ago played as hard as their ageing bodies could and went to Perkins for food afterwards.

Bless their hearts.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That Awesome Time I Was Sued for Two Billion Dollars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSWqx8goqSY

From Defcon 17, the owner of textfiles.com talks about getting sued by a sovereign citizen for 2 billion dollars. Entertaining and informative!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can they even be considered a One Hit Wonder? I don't think they've technically had a hit. And this is from someone who still likes their first major album. Being associated with Fred Durst probably should've been a sign of impending collapse from the beginning, though.

Kurieg posted:

On December 26, 2015, he was arrested for drugs.

I like how little detail there is in this one specifically.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Can they even be considered a One Hit Wonder? I don't think they've technically had a hit. And this is from someone who still likes their first major album. Being associated with Fred Durst probably should've been a sign of impending collapse from the beginning, though.

Drift and Die and Blurry got a lot of play on my local radio stations back when I was in High School.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kurieg posted:

I checked Wikipedia to see if there was an explanation for what happened. Apparently this isn't new.

This isn't shoodenfrood at all. Dude needs help, bad. He's spent more than a decade drunk as gently caress, ruining his own life and health and really pissing off everyone around him :smith:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

SpacePig posted:

Can they even be considered a One Hit Wonder? I don't think they've technically had a hit.

You clearly didn't live in the midwest

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kurieg posted:

Drift and Die and Blurry got a lot of play on my local radio stations back when I was in High School.

We got a decent amount of Blurry and She Hates Me around here, but it was really only 1 or 2 channels playing them. But looking it up, Come Clean is triple-platinum so I guess they did something right with it.

Stex T posted:

You clearly didn't live in the midwest

This is also true.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

14 and 17 could be legal if he lived in a state with Romeo and Juliet laws, which would be basically a high school junior dating a freshman, which happens all the time.

12 just makes it creepy and illegal tho.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SpacePig posted:

We got a decent amount of Blurry and She Hates Me around here, but it was really only 1 or 2 channels playing them. But looking it up, Come Clean is triple-platinum so I guess they did something right with it.

This is also true.

Yeah, I grew up in the midwest and they were super popular around here.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

beato posted:

A worrying amount of support in the comments.

A lot of people commenting are just barely teenagers themselves :smith:

(The 'frooty here is I looked at YouTube comments)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SpacePig posted:

Aren't they the group that did "She loving hates me?" It got very popular in Australia, like any other song that lets you swear loudly.

Crow Jane posted:

The smaller the band, the sadder it is.

Or the older the band.

I once caught the very tail end of a documentary on the Monkees in time to hear a question put to the the one guy from the group who actually went on and had a career on whether he still talked to the other members. He said, "Hell no," and mentioned that the other two who just faded back into normal life he could respect, but the one member who kept trying to maintain his music career was the most pathetic thing ever and he refused to have anything to do with him.

He said, "It doesn't matter how many other songs you write or different styles of music you play. You'll get to the gig and say, 'Hey, I've written all these new songs,' and they'll say, "Just shut up and play the song.'"

Then the documentary cut to the one member who stayed in music, playing on a stage in some tiny, lovely, almost empty venue. Sitting behind his electric piano playing I'm A Believer with dead eyes as the credits rolled and it was one of the most pathetic and depressing things I've ever seen in my life.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Mar 29, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salad posted:

Aren't they the group that did "She loving hates me?" It got very popular in Australia, like any other song that lets you swear loudly.

Or the older the band.

I once caught the very tail end of a documentary on the Monkees in time to hear a question put to the the one guy from the group who actually went on and had a career on whether he still talked to the other members. He said, "Hell no," and mentioned that the other two who just faded back into normal life he could respect, but the one member who kept trying to maintain his music career was the most pathetic thing ever and he refused to have anything to do with him.

He said, "It doesn't matter how many other songs you write or different styles of music you play. You'll get to the gig and say, 'Hey, I've written all these new songs,' and they'll say, "Just shut up and play the song.'"

Then the documentary cut to the one member who stayed in music, playing on a stage in some tiny, lovely, almost empty venue. Sitting behind his electric piano playing I'm A Believer with dead eyes as the credits rolled and it was one of the most pathetic and depressing things I've ever seen in my life.

That's odd because pretty much all of the Monkee's kept going in music to some extent. Peter Tork and Davy Jones probably the most.

Scarf has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Mar 29, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've seen Yo La Tengo open for no less than three bands over the last couple years, all of whom had probably listened to YLT as teenagers or young adults. To their credit, they seem to have embraced their always-a-bridesmaid status, and seem more or less okay with playing their competent but kinda dull music while the audience mills around getting drunk waiting for the headliners to come on. I always sort of felt bad for them, though.

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk
https://i.imgur.com/4dvbue0.gifv

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or the older the band.

My school had an annual concert, and in 2003 they decided to pick...Better Than Ezra, who'd last released an album anyone heard anything off of in 1996. The concert was canceled after not enough tickets sold.

The replacement act was Busta Rhymes, which by any thinking is a much better get.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

So is the Puddle of Mudd guy in prison? Because it seems like he should be in prison.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

im pooping! posted:

So is the Puddle of Mudd guy in prison? Because it seems like he should be in prison.

I agree, but it's not a crime to make lovely music.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monolithburger posted:

A lot of people commenting are just barely teenagers themselves :smith:

(The 'frooty here is I looked at YouTube comments)

Teenagers are stupid and that's why they aren't allowed to decide for themselves whats right and wrong. I slept with a 25 year old when I was 17 because I lied and told her I was 21 at a show and I didn't think it was a big deal. Looking back it really was gross and hosed up on my part.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ranbo das posted:

14 and 17 could be legal if he lived in a state with Romeo and Juliet laws

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I grew up in the midwest and they were super popular around here.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist
This seems appropriate for the thread...

http://myfox8.com/2016/03/26/sex-offender-killed-by-runaway-trailer-while-watching-porn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Darkhold posted:

Warrant came to my piss small hometown (about 16,000 people at that time) about 10ish years ago played as hard as their ageing bodies could and went to Perkins for food afterwards.

Bless their hearts.

:patriot: Bless those hair band rockers, Cherry Pie is still a rad album

Content: Politifreude!

http://usuncut.com/news/tonedownforwhat-hillary-clinton-ny-debate/

https://twitter.com/heedlesstosay/status/714551267406680065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/TheBernReport/status/714591805229047809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw